BajaNomad

New rules for importing vehicles starting Monday

Acuity - 3-2-2008 at 05:51 PM

See this article http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080302/used_cars.html

Seems that from Monday, only vehicles 10 years old or newer can be imported.

Lauriboats - 3-2-2008 at 06:14 PM

Thanks for the info.

DENNIS - 3-2-2008 at 07:03 PM

I heard of this new regulation a couple of weeks ago. It seems too exact in detail to be taken seriously at this point. It will flood Baja with California plated cars that can't be imported, opening the floodgates of curbside mordita.
I question the validity of the report. If not the validity, the sanity.

For Sale

BMG - 3-2-2008 at 07:09 PM

1998 Blazer - low miles, very clean U$12,000.

Oops, just checked it's a 1997. Sale price U$1200.:spingrin:

vandenberg - 3-2-2008 at 08:50 PM

The article is rather confusing, but after I read the whole smear, I think that it really means all cars from 1998 on can be imported.

Let's say that it's very poorly worded.:biggrin:

[Edited on 3-3-2008 by vandenberg]

longlegsinlapaz - 3-2-2008 at 09:49 PM

"only cars made for the 1998 model year -- none older and none newer -- can be legally imported into Mexico." Kate's right! If you read what it ACTUALLY says versus what you think it ought to say, it's pretty clear. Now as to the accuracy of the information.....:?: But the reasons given pretty much back up the info as stated.

UPI story

BMG - 3-2-2008 at 09:50 PM

CIUDAD JUAREZ, Mexico, Feb. 16 (UPI) -- Environmentalists say falling trade barriers are sending millions of polluting older U.S. vehicles south of the border to rumble anew in Mexico.

It's estimated more than 3 million late-model cars and trucks have been legally sold in Mexico in the last 2 1/2 years and millions more are headed south because of the North American Free Trade Agreement, NAFTA, the Los Angeles Times reported Saturday.

NAFTA officially requires Mexico to begin opening its market to some used vehicles from the U.S. and Canada next year. Former Mexican President Vicente Fox sped up the process in August 2005 when he agreed to allow the import of vehicles 10 to 15 years old. That decree was modified this year to allow imports of only 1998 models for the rest of 2008.

The import of roomy used U.S. cars has meant a slump in sales in Mexico for new cars meeting stricter environmental standards, the Times reported.

"The U.S. sends us junk, and Mexico sends back pollution," said Alma Leticia Figueroa Jimenez, the former head of ecology for Ciudad Juarez.

Acuity - 3-3-2008 at 07:50 AM

Humm. On rereading, I see I was wrong in assuming that newer cars were ok. I must have had my logical glasses on.:spingrin::spingrin::spingrin:

TMW - 3-3-2008 at 08:25 AM

Only 1998 year cars can be imported. Older cars pollute, they (Gov't) say. Newer cars are too much competition for Mexican car dealers, says the Mexican Car Dealers Assc.

DENNIS - 3-3-2008 at 08:46 AM

Years back, they did the same thing with used tires. That market was cutting into the Mexico manufactured tires market so they put heavy restrictions on import. I don't think anything is done from a standpoint of pollution but, in the interests of big business trying to look like they're concerned about the environment. Mexico learns this from the USA.

Mexico Abruptly Restricts Car Imports

unbob - 3-4-2008 at 01:26 PM

Anyone care?

Read it here

Hook - 3-4-2008 at 01:32 PM

Believe this is a direct violation of NAFTRA.

Tourists dont care but ex-pats might.

Taco de Baja - 3-4-2008 at 01:45 PM

Maybe it'll put a dent in car thefts in many of the border states; many of these cars apparently end up south of the border.

BajaGeoff - 3-4-2008 at 01:49 PM

Good point Taco. I did not think of it from that angle.

Not sure I understand why 1998 is the magic year either.

Hook - 3-4-2008 at 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboRon
I'm an expat and I don't care.

I transferred title to a state that is expat friendly and I don't let Mexicans drive my vehicle.

CaboRon

edit: Also, I think it will help with car theft in border cities.

[Edited on 3-4-2008 by CaboRon]

So, you live 24/7, 365 days in Mexico?

[Edited on 3-4-2008 by Hook]

fishbuck - 3-4-2008 at 02:20 PM

How will it be enforced? I think I could still drive a 97 truck down there and sell it. It would be the buyers responsibilty to register it and deal with the import. I think they will figure it out. Mexicans are clever like that. ;)

DENNIS - 3-4-2008 at 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
Mexicans are clever like that. ;)

I think the next obvious step will be to change registration to say what you want it to say.

DENNIS - 3-4-2008 at 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGeoff

Not sure I understand why 1998 is the magic year either.

It will change each year. Next year, '99.
This whole thing is an uncontrollable mess. It will be a mordita magnet.

fishbuck - 3-4-2008 at 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
Mexicans are clever like that. ;)

I think the next obvious step will be to change registration to say what you want it to say.

Dennis, you've been there so long you starting to think in Mexican!
I like it.

comitan - 3-4-2008 at 02:36 PM

Along with those sames lines, I know a Mexican that imported a 2007 diesel pickup. :?::?: You can't do that you say!:no::no:

livencabo - 3-4-2008 at 02:47 PM

Vehciles with Mexican registration pay a tax called "tenencia" (roughly means having) until the vehicle is ten years old. Thus the desireability of a vehicle ten years old or more.
For some time the car could be as old as 15 years. I guess now a vehicle could be no more than 10 years old at import but as vehicles age there would still be older cars on the road.
I think the rule applies to 10 year old cars, not just 1998, the magic year will change each year.
FMT and FM3 can drive US plated vehicles, Mexicans can only drive such cars for limited purposes.
When I changed from FM3 to FM2 I could no longer drive my own car and the only way to get it back was to sell it to a yard in Nevada which imported it and resold it to me, then I got Mexican registration and plates. I recently sold that 1986 Toyota truck so there was no problem selling a vehicle much older than 10 years.

Gypsy Jan - 3-4-2008 at 02:50 PM

If this is related or tangential, but last week I saw a very late model Ford diesel 3/4 ton (guessing, but not a dually) pickup truck with Baja plates. It was not a commercial vehicle.

So, I guess the laws have changed regarding sales or importation for those vehicles?

Oops, double post to double post - Sorry!

[Edited on 3-4-2008 by Gypsy Jan]

DENNIS - 3-4-2008 at 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
Along with those sames lines, I know a Mexican that imported a 2007 diesel pickup. :?::?: You can't do that you say!:no::no:

There was a time when you couldn't. I guess diesel importation laws changed. It's all academic now, I suppose. Mexico is reverting to a panhandleing, mordita driven economy. No profit in progress.

livencabo - 3-4-2008 at 02:56 PM

Now, do I care?
Yes, very much because I now cannot import the 1993 Jeep my son was going to give me th year!:lol:

Not Sure

Gypsy Jan - 3-4-2008 at 03:15 PM

If this is related or tangential, but, last week I saw a very late model Ford 3/4 ton (guessing, but it wasn't a dually) diesel pickup truck with Baja plates.

It didn't appear to be a commercial vehicle, in the sense that there was no advertising written on it and the plates were regular style.

So, I guess the laws on that have changed?

comitan - 3-4-2008 at 04:11 PM

Not just Diesel but 2007 its was suppose to be only vehicles more than 5 years old.

DENNIS - 3-4-2008 at 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by comitan
Not just Diesel but 2007 its was suppose to be only vehicles more than 5 years old.

That too. There are Escalades, Hummers and late model Mercedes with Baja plates all over Ensenada. Money talks and that's why I don't think we've seen the end of all-age imports here.

Bruce R Leech - 3-4-2008 at 04:21 PM

you can do anything you want in Mexico. all you need to do is find the person that needs a few bucks and that is most anyone here.

DENNIS - 3-5-2008 at 07:28 AM

By the way.....Will this be the end of used-car lots as we know them? It will be more than difficult for the operators to keep an inventory based on the new regulations.

dtbushpilot - 3-5-2008 at 09:39 AM

Ok, so where do I go from here?
I have a very nice (no, really) 1979 Jeep Cherokee that I have been saving for my Mexico vehicle. I bought a tourist insurance policy for it and took it down to our new home in Baja last year with the intention of importing it eventually. I have an FM3, bank account, local address etc.

Suggestions?....dt

jeffg - 3-5-2008 at 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
Ok, so where do I go from here?
I have a very nice (no, really) 1979 Jeep Cherokee that I have been saving for my Mexico vehicle. I bought a tourist insurance policy for it and took it down to our new home in Baja last year with the intention of importing it eventually. I have an FM3, bank account, local address etc.

Suggestions?....dt

Keep it registered in the U.S. Register it in South Dakota or somewhere that keeps it simple (ie no smog requirement). I think you need a little different insurance policy though, if the vehicle is staying in Mexico.

Then just wait for the regulation to change. Eventually someone will read the thing and realize how crazy it it. Well, maybe, weirder things have happened!

I have a 1999 Trooper down there, if nothing changes I guess next year will be my magic year to import it.

Jeff

DENNIS - 3-5-2008 at 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffg
[I have a 1999 Trooper down there, if nothing changes I guess next year will be my magic year to import it.

Jeff

If nothing changes by next year, you'll be able to sell it for more than it's worth.

stanburn - 3-5-2008 at 01:57 PM

Dennis,

I am also an expat (living 365 days a year) here and I don't care about the change either. I couldn't import my 91 van before, and can't now either.

However you mentioned NAFTA and the press here says that in 2009 you will be able to import anything. That is when I will import my 91 van and is when other posters will be able to import their vehicles that don't qualify this year.

Regarding all of the vehicles that don't look like they qualified for importation under the old rules.........you can buy new vehicles in Mexico that are identical to those that you can't import. You just have to purchase it from a Mexican Auto Dealer and they are more expensive. I don't think it is a mordida issue, just a money issue.

re DIESEL IMPORTATION

rob - 3-6-2008 at 09:31 AM

Dennis - for a long time, Mexico did not allow importation of (light) diesels.

When my F350 Powerstroke broke in La Paz, we ran around to all the diesel labs (there are a lot of them, but all they do is service injectors) and one of them suggested the big LavAlle dairy distributors.

We found they had a fleet of 89 new F450 diesels plus a complete Ford diesel maintenance facility open to the public!
Lavalle had the truck running in 48 hours with a part flown in from Guadalajara!

I could also say something really nasty about the la Paz Ford distributor - but I won't - it's too beautiful a day.

It's also off-topic!

DENNIS - 3-6-2008 at 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by stanburn
However you mentioned NAFTA and the press here says that in 2009 you will be able to import anything. That is when I will import my 91 van and is when other posters will be able to import their vehicles that don't qualify this year.

I hope you're right. I have a feeling that NAFTA is going to be revisited soon. It's causing a lot of problems for some sectors.

Hook - 3-6-2008 at 12:02 PM

Ya know, this envirowacko inference that cars mfgred in 1998 are gas-guzzling polluters is just not correct, IMO. The US, Japan and Europe were making lots of efficient, low emission vehicles back then. Many states still make the 1998 model year undergo smog testing as a condition of registration.

Damn liberals wont be happy till we're all driving bicycles............how am I supposed to drink a beer and ride a bike ????????? Sounds too dangerous to me. :biggrin:

DENNIS - 3-6-2008 at 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
............how am I supposed to drink a beer and ride a bike ????????? Sounds too dangerous to me. :biggrin:

Where there's a will, there's an ice cold Pacifico.

importing to Mexico / registering in South Dakota

Mulegena - 3-6-2008 at 06:33 PM

"However you mentioned NAFTA and the press here says that in 2009 you will be able to import anything. That is when I will import my 91 van and is when other posters will be able to import their vehicles that don't qualify this year." Stanburn: Would you find that press report and post it here? I really, really want to import my car and am willing to wait a year.

On a related topic: I checked with South Dakota Treasurer's Office today about registering my car there. The answer was unequivocally "NO!" One must have a legal address in the state.

I'm going to Aduana in Santa Rosalia tomorrow to personally inquire about making my car "puro Mexicano". I'll post a report of the (ad)venture-- sure hope its positive.

update: importing parameters

Mulegena - 3-7-2008 at 06:29 PM

Quote:
I'm going to Aduana in Santa Rosalia tomorrow to personally inquire about making my car "puro Mexicano". I'll post a report of the (ad)venture-- sure hope its positive.

Mission Impossible: Although Aduana personnell were very polite and helpful, even calling the La Paz Main Office in my behalf, the bottom line is that my request to permanently import my car was denied.

Why? Because my car's Vin Number begins with the letter "J" which means it was imported from Japan, not made on the North American continent. Mexico will allow cars "only with Vin No's. beginning with the numbers "1, 2, or 3".

Apparently to satisfy the NAFTA agreements all permanent inter-country (US-Mex) imported cars must be made on this continent.

... so I am back to Square One :(

BMG - 3-7-2008 at 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena

On a related topic: I checked with South Dakota Treasurer's Office today about registering my car there. The answer was unequivocally "NO!" One must have a legal address in the state.

I don't have a SD address but I do have SD plates on my car down here. I also registered my other car, currently in CA, and the SD plates are waiting for me now. In both cases I used an AZ address, no problem. Many others on this forum have also done it with no problems.

u2u me if you need more info.

stanburn - 3-7-2008 at 08:48 PM

Mulegena,

Sorry to hear about your problems. I read about the lifting of restrictions in January 2009 in the Manzanillo newspaper El Correo. They don't have their archives online. However here is another source:

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/story/949178.html