BajaNomad

MEXICAN SHRIMP CEVICHE FOR ALL OF YOU FISH TACO EATING GRINGOS...

CaliMex - 4-11-2004 at 01:16 PM

CEVICHE CAMARON......

1 POUND OF CAMARON CHICO = SMALL SHRIMP

HALF OF 1 WHITE ONION

10 GREEN MEXICAN LIMES

2 TOMATOES WITHOUT THE HEART OR SEEDS.

HALF A CUP OF CILANTRO

A PINCH OF SALT

LET IT CHILL IN A GLASS BOWL FOR 24 HOURS TO HAVE A REAL AUTHENTIC TASTE

THIS IS SOMETHING THAT GRINGOS MIGHT WANNA ACTUALLY TRY BESIDES THE ONLY 2 THINGS THEY EAT WHEN VISITING MEXICO WHICH IS FISH TACOS AND CARNE ASADA BURRITOS....YUUUUCK
LET'S BE OPEN MINDED WHEN DSICOVERING THE MEXICAN CULTURE AND NOT THE DRY/BLAND AMERICAN MENTALITY...

JESSE - 4-11-2004 at 01:22 PM

How "authentic" you are, talking about gringos dry/bland mentality, and your offering Ceviche as a good example of Mexican food, did you know that Ceviche is not originally a Mexican dish?

Its Peruvian-Ecuadorian, ***************.:rolleyes:

[Edited on 4-11-2004 by BajaNomad]

CaliMex - 4-11-2004 at 01:50 PM

well of course it's orignally from peru...this recipe is from my cousin in san luis,sonora mexico ************************
and yes most americans have a dry/bland mentality...*********************
thts why you can't see it...most americans despise mexican people and hold so much much against us from wanting to come to the united states for a better a life but again these are the same people who travel baja....hypocritical

[Edited on 4-11-2004 by BajaNomad]

JESSE - 4-11-2004 at 01:54 PM

:lol::lol::lol:

I needed a good laugh this Sunday.

bajalera - 4-19-2004 at 02:45 PM

Thank you, Calimex, for finally coming up with a recipe. Like Jesse, I don't think of seviche as a traditional Baja dish. My opinion of Mexican food isn't worth a lot, of course, but Jesse's is--he has qualifications most other Nomads lack. Despite this, he's almost always politely tolerant of our dry/bland mentalities anyway, except when we happen to get unbearably stupid. (An attitude you might also want to consider, Newbie, if you decide to stick around.)

Meanwhile, if you're sincerely interested in sampling an authentic peninsular feast, I suggest you get out of town when the pitahayas ripen and collect a whole lot of them (either sweet or tart will do). Then find yourself some flat rocks, and pig out on pitahayas for several days.

For the authentic recipe, get a copy of Padre Baegert's Observaciones. You'll need a mano and metate, but as a connoisseur of Mexican cuisine you probably have these in your kitchen already.

And buen provecho!

bajalera

Margie - 5-2-2004 at 07:19 PM

I understand what Calimax was trying to say.

I wonder how that would taste, Calimax, with a touch of garlic, a dash of cumino and 1 or 2 serranos? I'm going to have to try it both ways.

There is the best place for Ceviche, in Ensenada, across the street from the big bus station. I don't know what the name is, but its open air and takes up the whole corner.