BajaNomad

Pilot Phil takes local kids flying in Asuncion

shari - 3-10-2008 at 10:12 PM

Several local kids got the ride of their lives today as our amigo Phil offered to take our nephews and neice up in his Super Cub Piper. They were a bit nervous as were thier mothers but thoroughly enjoyed seeing their village from the air...the best part was seeing the whales from above and their soccer team on the field...like ants...Hat's off to Phil for giving back to our community....I liked the little speech he gave the kids after about the sky is the limit when it comes to setting goals...reach for the stars...don't be afraid to dream...the kids were very impressed and grinning from ear to ear..they were treated to a wonderful lobster and fish dinner today and even managed to catch some fish this morning too...it has been a wonderful few days and we have been honored to welcome such a gratious couple to Asuncion.

planegroupsm.jpg - 34kB

fishbuck - 3-10-2008 at 10:35 PM

Nice job Phil! Cool plane.

What kind of fish?

Diver - 3-11-2008 at 04:04 AM

What a treat for some of the nicest kids anywhere !!
Good show Phil !!

Capt. George - 3-11-2008 at 04:22 AM

Another "Ugly American"??? :biggrin:hahahahah

way to go Cap...another credit to Norte Americanos.. cap'n g

jorgie - 3-11-2008 at 07:51 AM

per ardrua ad astra

shari - 3-11-2008 at 09:40 AM

This is a great example of why I love to open my heart and share our paradise with others....THIS is what the spirit of sharing is all about...seeing the glowing faces and huge grins on the kids faces and watching Phil & Gretchen smack thier lips after feasting on lobster and fish. thanks again for enriching the lives of our children.

briseydapilotsm.jpg - 35kB

shari - 3-11-2008 at 09:42 AM

everybody got involved...Noe's dad Bimbo checked over the engine...the kids even got to fly the plane as it has controls in the back seat too...boy, the school will be a buzz with flying stories today!

enginechecksm.jpg - 29kB

Bajaboy - 3-11-2008 at 02:46 PM

Great story and thanks for sharing...once again.

Zac

Iflyfish - 3-11-2008 at 11:15 PM

What a great gift, the gift of flight and asperations!

Hats off to Phil & Gretchen

Iflyfish

Lauriboats - 3-12-2008 at 03:46 AM

Shari,
Looks like the kids had a blast, an unforgetable life experience.

windgrrl - 3-12-2008 at 08:23 PM

Thank you for sharing this very cool and generous event.

DianaT - 3-13-2008 at 05:32 PM

Really enjoyed meeting Phil and Gretchen at Juan's birthday--really nice people.

What a great thing for those kids---we wondered why the plane kept flying over the town. Around here, one notices any airplance that comes over.

We hope they will return.

John and Diane

LancairDriver - 3-13-2008 at 09:35 PM

A Phil Olson is reported to have suffered a smashed windshield on a Cub at Abre Ojos due to vandalism. This was reported on the Baja Bush Pilots site. They are asking for some help. If this is the same individual who was giving rides here? Very sorry to hear this. :(:(:(

Diver - 3-13-2008 at 09:41 PM

It looks like the same Phil.
The avatar on his BBP post is the same plane as Shari's pictures.

What a bummer to have this happen to such a nice guy.
I'm sure he left Asuncion all smiles, to have this problem in Abre... :fire:

Iflyfish - 3-14-2008 at 12:27 AM

Yup, visited site and it is the same guy. Post says that he is in touch with folks who can help.

Bad things do happen to good people.....grrrr.

Iflyfish

DianaT - 3-14-2008 at 11:58 AM

Dang--yes bad things do happen to good people. :no:

He left his plane here in Bahia Asuncion without anyone to guard it and fortunately, nothing happened. Our runway, however, is a little out of town, but everyone knows when a plane is in town.

We are, however, saddened to hear this happened in Abreojos---we would have never expected it.

We sure hope he gets the help he needs quickly and that it won't deter him from returning.

Diane and John

capt. mike - 3-14-2008 at 02:54 PM

what happened to pilot Phil O's plane is a real shame considering he just spent his own time and money to give a bunch of kids from Bahia Asuncion aero plane rides a few days ago during some town event there.

those kids are dirt poor and got the thrill of a lifetime and /or otherwise would never get inside a plane likely their whole lives.
and for this some pinhead vandals from neighboring abreojos decide to have fun and smash his windscreen.

i hope they catch the little basturos and dole out some old fashion baja rancher's justice! like a trip to the wood shed but i guess that won't happen.
so - another good deed gets punished and others stateside will read more fodder as to why one should never take their plane to baja or mexico.
what a crock!
i hope some one can get a new screen down to him some how. i don't know what the BBP whales II pilotos can do right now as none of them are gonna have that part with them!

tripledigitken - 3-14-2008 at 03:05 PM

Just a minute ago I'm smiling at the photo in the fishing report of his plane filled with smiling kids, now this.:(:(:(

Cheers to a nice man. And jeers to the punks that damaged his plane. :mad::mad::mad:

Ken

LancairDriver - 3-14-2008 at 08:32 PM

If Phil hasn't found a solution yet, I have seen a lot of badly shot-up helicopters patched up with Duc Tape and thin flexible fiberglass such as found in ceiling light fixtures. This was a pretty common practice. These were then flown to maintenance depots in SE Asia for repair. The materials should be available around there and would allow him to get back across the border with the airplane. Of course it depends on what he has to work with in terms of damage.
Just a suggestion.

UnoMas - 3-14-2008 at 09:57 PM

Sad ending to such a great show of compassion! Sorry for his unfortunate show of appreciation:mad: The real sad part is that there are people out there who know the culprits and will do or say nothing about it, and if they did there would be NO restitution.:fire: Suck it up and decide if you feel your trip to Mexico was worth the misfortune, as this is the way things are......:fire::fire::fire:

shari - 3-20-2008 at 02:54 PM

OH MAN...we just got back from our little camping trip and read this sad news...what day did it happen? The strip is very close to town and so perhaps invites disaster...we all know that punks love to throw rocks through any windows. It saddens me so that such wonderful folks suffer these indecencies...wish I lived in Abreojos so I could find out who the culprit was and get him dealt with...mexican style. I hope Phil got the help and support he needed...wish we would have been there to help.

We'll be back!

drifter - 3-21-2008 at 10:08 PM

Thanks for your thoughts. Gretchen and I have made it back to Oregon and are already planning our return to a special place with really special people. What happened to us was ABSOLUTELY no reflection on the good people of Punta Abreojos. It was an issue of some young person making a poor choice. We have friends in Abreojos who I thought were going to break into tears when this happened. As the news spread around the community we had an outpouring of offers to help. Through the help of the local fishing cooperativa, as well as countless others, we made repairs that allowed us to continue. Both Gretchen and I are ready to head back as soon as we can find the time.

Phil

[Edited on 3-22-2008 by drifter]

capt. mike - 3-22-2008 at 06:05 AM

well - did they ever catch the little buggers??!!:mad::fire:

i very much hope to hit all of the good pacific landing zones this summer but am not too keen on being furher from my bird than i want to carry an ice chest,porta BBQ kit and a tent!

and for Asuncion i'll want to pay for a guard, just cheap insurance and i don't mind spreading the pesos around! am sure Sheri can hook me up.

bajamigo - 3-22-2008 at 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by drifter
Thanks for your thoughts. Gretchen and I have made it back to Oregon and are already planning our return to a special place with really special people. What happened to us was ABSOLUTELY no reflection on the good people of Punta Abreojos. It was an issue of some young person making a poor choice. We have friends in Abreojos who I thought were going to break into tears when this happened. As the news spread around the community we had an outpouring of offers to help. Through the help of the local fishing cooperativa, as well as countless others, we made repairs that allowed us to continue. Both Gretchen and I are ready to head back as soon as we can find the time.

Phil

You are truly one of nature's gentlemen! I wish you and your wife the best of happiness and satisfaction with what you are doing for those kids.
:bounce:

Abreojos aircraft parking

drifter - 3-22-2008 at 08:44 AM

As of when we departed, they had not located the person who broke our windscreen but I'm sure that they have by now. The police and some municipio legal folks got involved and appeared that they truly wished to deal with the situation.
After our incident I moved our Super Cub immediately across the street to an area in front of a home just to the north of a hangar. The owners of the home are wonderful people who were anxious to help out. I five dollar contribution to them for the inconvenience would be greatly appreciated. Once again, please note we will not hesitate to visit Abreojos on our next visit. We've got over 25 years experience flying on the Baja as well as the mainland and look at this issue as a complete aberration to the norm.
As for Asuncion, if you haven't been there, you need to put it on your list to visit. Shari and her husband Juan Arce are the BEST and I'm sure will do anything in their power to make your stay comfortable. We really enjoyed meeting Bimbo, Juan's brother in law and the others in Juan's and Shari's family. I wish you could have seen the excitement of the kids and how they were dressed for the occasion, as well as their parents, when we headed out to the strip for our morning flights. You would have thought that they were headed to a first rate church or school activity to meet some high dignitary.

shari - 3-22-2008 at 09:42 AM

Gracias amigo...you and your lovely wife are true generous, gentle spirits who understand baja...our family sends their love and promises to take turns plane-sitting next time.

Lauriboats - 3-22-2008 at 09:55 AM

Glad that you made it home safely. We look forward to meeting you on your next visit. Jim and Lauri

Iflyfish - 3-22-2008 at 11:01 AM

Whew, good news. Been thinking about you and are relieved to hear of the resolution of this. Salud and here's to more adventures!

I know a couple of Oregonians and a Washingtonian who would love to accompany you to Asuncion any time you need fuel etc.

Iflyfish

capt. mike - 3-22-2008 at 11:37 AM

Shari - do the medicos still visit Asuncion? BW and the Aerostar? plus others?
i think its Flying Doctors, not Sams. what are their schedules? they have gone to the serenidad after asuncion before. I see BW there every once in a while. haven't lately though. a friend in the Sams phx based just sold his 310 and bought a hot rodded Aerostar, he knows BW from their owner's type association.

DianaT - 3-22-2008 at 02:31 PM

Good to hear you are back safe and sound. We look forward to your next visit here.

Stupid choices happen everywhere, even in a great little town like Abreojos. Love your attitude about the whole thing. :yes::yes:

Oh, if you still have our e-mail, be sure to send us a couple of the authors we talked about and we will do likewise.

John and Diane

shari - 3-22-2008 at 07:00 PM

Los Medicos voladores only come a couple times a year...not sure who BW is though. We have been getting more fly-ins lately which has been neat...a new place for baja pilots to discover.

capt. mike - 3-23-2008 at 06:02 AM

U2U czech