BajaNomad

Snorkeling Cabo Pulmo

Osprey - 3-13-2008 at 11:36 AM

Cabo Pulmo diving trip report.

Last week I just couldn’t stand sitting on my patio waiting for the wind to die down so I picked a nice day, drove over the Cabo Pulmo for some diving. I was already shivering in my wet suit and snorkel as I walked into the cold, cold water from the shore, just at the western park boundary. I’ve snorkeled there many times and I like to try a rocky ledge that’s been good year after year for pargo, cabrilla, more.

Just as I reached the rocky spot, out of the corner of my eye I caught something big and black down about 12 feet off to my right. I dove in that direction swung my spear gun toward the prey and pulled off a shot. The spearhead hit hard and deep just behind what I thought was his right dorsal fin (arm) of the other diver. A real rookie mistake – I was so excited I didn’t move fast enough and he made it down to the rocks; when I tried to pull him back out, the tip pulled out and he swam away.

The last I saw of him he was already across the marine park boundary so I gave up the chase, paddled back to shore. All I can do is hope he recovers from the wound. Isn’t that always the way, the more you try to play fair, play by the rules, sometimes the more damage you can do? How many times when fishing, snorkeling, diving have I screamed at myself and my buddies “Don’t let him get in the rocks!”

Iflyfish - 3-14-2008 at 12:35 AM

You are a very bad man!

Iflyfish