BajaNomad

Round Wood Homes delivered to Baja

bajabob42 - 3-19-2008 at 05:27 PM

Oregon Yurtworks offers its complete shell home kit package to client’s for use in Baja Sur. Clients are able to shop for a home with Oregon Yurtworks on our website. Shipping is done via flatbed truck . The package walls are finished to the outside and windows are preinstalled; the exterior siding is pre-finished and installed. Ceilings are finished inside with natural cedar and on the outside with roofing materials also installed. All that is left for the owner to do is assemble the components together. Once the kit is installed the owner can finish the interior to the client’s specific taste.
Assembly of the shell kit can be accomplished in 5-6 days with a skilled crew. These are not the canvas type yurts. Our yurts are engineered to winds to 100 mph and with upgrades to 145 mph.
Please visit our website www.yurtworks.com or call 1-800-211-8470

[img]http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2001717&l=16a30&id=1160884185[/img]

[Edited on 4-3-2008 by bajabob42]

bajaguy - 3-19-2008 at 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabob42
Oregon Yurtworks offers its complete shell home kit package to client’s for use in Baja Sur.

Are they not allowed in Baja Norte????:?::?:

bajamigo - 3-19-2008 at 05:39 PM

Maybe he doesn't know there is a Baja Norte --- thinks Sacramento is its capital. Anyway, we stayed in a yurt (manufactured by Oregon Yurtworks) in San Ignacio. It was pretty terrific.

bajaguy - 3-19-2008 at 05:46 PM

Gonna be tough putting windows in that one.

Wonder what the import duties and transportation costs would be???

Sharksbaja - 3-19-2008 at 05:50 PM

They are cool, they have a skylight in the peak. Stayed in one a while back. Fun. It was white, more attractive imo.

bajamigo - 3-19-2008 at 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Gonna be tough putting windows in that one.

Wonder what the import duties and transportation costs would be???

Actually, windows or doors don't seem to be a problem. They come with side curtains, I believe, but the yurt we stayed in had regular double-pane windows and secure doors. This one even had a full interior bath.

But you can have a lot more flexibility with fenestration if you opt for the larger model (with factory-installed surround-sound pipe organ) called a "churt:"

bajabound2005 - 3-19-2008 at 07:08 PM

I don't know about that one, Bajamigo. Looks a lot like the church in Santa Rosalia...but you're right. It DOES look like the inside of a yurt!

gibson - 3-19-2008 at 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabob42
Oregon Yurtworks offers its complete shell home kit package to client’s for use in Baja Sur. Please visit our website www.yurtworks.com or call 1-800-211-8470

Always liked these. What thoughts has Yurtworks given to hurricanes?

bajabound2005 - 3-19-2008 at 09:08 PM

well, the folks at San Ignacio Springs (all yurts) have gone through a flood or two.
http://www.ignaciosprings.com/
Don't know if they get hurricanes in San Ignacio...

gibson - 3-19-2008 at 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabound2005

Don't know if they get hurricanes in San Ignacio...

I think you'd be like Dorothy and no longer in Kansas if inside a yurt during a chubasco. But maybe I'm missing something. They must've put thought to this and hence the question.

Frank - 3-19-2008 at 09:57 PM

I think you just pop the little catch on the center pole and let it fold up, then toss it in the back of the truck.:biggrin:

gibson - 3-19-2008 at 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank
I think you just pop the little catch on the center pole and let it fold up, then toss it in the back of the truck.:biggrin:

how would you propose that with a Oregon Yurtworks product (wooden). hello? ahoooy? anybody home?

Frank - 3-19-2008 at 10:17 PM

Relaaax Gibson, Im talking about the Yurts in San Ignacio, they look like umbrellas to me. Did you not see the :biggrin: , oh and Im home....

gibson - 3-19-2008 at 11:03 PM

ok yea got it. cheers

Mango - 3-19-2008 at 11:58 PM

Yurts are pretty wind resistant. Their low profile and round shape sheds wind better than most structures. They were originally developed and used on the vast barren and high plains of Asia which often have high winds. Today, yurts are often used in Alpine areas that experience high winds regularly.

I got a book about them a few years back from amazon and in that book they suggested using ropes and stakes to tie down the yurt in the event of serious winds. If anyone is interested "The complete yurt handbook" outlines how to build and erect 3 different types of yurts(3 different sizes as well); and includes much information on the history of the structures. For only being 115 pages or so, it is pretty informative and thorough. I've been contemplating building a smaller one for extended camping trips for a few years now. It would be great for a long term campsite. There is also much information online regarding the process of building one; although, the quality will most likely not be as finished or polished as the ones from Oregon Yurtworks Yurts.

Traditional yurts can be packed up and moved; but, I am not sure about the Oregon Yurtworks yurts. Somehow I don't think they would be as transportable as traditional yurts. They do look nice though.

gibson - 3-20-2008 at 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mango
Yurts are pretty wind resistant. Their low profile and round shape sheds wind better than most structures. They were originally developed and used on the vast barren and high plains of Asia which often have high winds.

here's the dealio ... the round yurt would probably take a few extra seconds to get airborn in a HURRICANE (not 'high wind') than a regular wooden box!! Time enuf to scream a few hail marys and adioses.
cemento. awejo :lol::lol:

Mexitron - 3-20-2008 at 04:34 AM

Ropes and stakes in a hurricane might not do the job--once the ground gets saturated the stakes can pull out. But you could tie them down the way the folks in Punta Abreojos do in hurricanes--tie them into concrete anchors (actually, in Abreojos they put j-hooked rebar into the house foundation and tie into them).

Bob and Susan - 3-20-2008 at 07:05 AM

there is actually a "yurt" forum here:light:

http://www.yourtent.com/english/home_english.htm

Taco de Baja - 3-20-2008 at 08:07 AM

I spent some time in one in 2005 at the NPS headquarters near Hosmer Grove on the side of Haleakala on Maui. I can tell you, they can easily take a steady 40-50MPH no problem. But, they are VERY noisy at that speed. They apparently get even higher winds at that location too.....

DENNIS - 3-20-2008 at 08:45 AM

Did you ever try to buy furniture for a round house? Good luck.

durrelllrobert - 3-20-2008 at 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Gadget - 3-20-2008 at 11:52 AM

We've stayed in them at San Ignacio Springs B&B twice now. Wonderful nights sleep. They are beautiful inside and Gary and Terry tell us they are very weather proof. The ones there are on a concrete slab and the steel reinforcement is turned up out of the slab and tied to the wall supports to hold them down in high winds.

Food is beyond expectations, call or e-mail by 1PM on arrival day and they will have dinner for you also. A must stop IMO

gibson - 3-20-2008 at 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Taco de Baja
I spent some time in one in 2005 at the NPS headquarters near Hosmer Grove on the side of Haleakala on Maui. I can tell you, they can easily take a steady 40-50MPH no problem. But, they are VERY noisy at that speed. They apparently get even higher winds at that location too.....

apples & oranges. (wooden finish vs tent-like finish)
anyways ... no response from Oregon Yurtwork promoter which leads me to believe you'd be CRAZY to plonk one of these down in Baja Sur, unless it was no problem for you to shell out the expense of a replacement should a hurricane pass thru.
Concrete base / walls with palapa roof maybe?

[Edited on 3-20-2008 by gibson]

Mango - 3-20-2008 at 06:16 PM

Some more info here. Not the best structure to ride out a hurricane according to the maker of these particular yurts.

http://www.yurts-r-us.com/HowAYurtWorks.html

The beauty of a "traditional" yurt is that is that it is transportable. If a hurricane is coming, pack it up and move it, or store it somewhere safe. Some of the fancy ones would be quite a chore to move.

If you are in an area where flooding may occur, moving your living space may actually be a better option that a bombproof concrete structure that will stay intact but fill with mud and water. Either way, a yurt is not a traditional house and comparing one to a traditional house is like comparing apples and oranges.

Quote:

Agreed, furniture against the outer walls is a tough thing. But; yurts are usually used by minimalists that don't have much, or the larger fancy ones usually have some straight walls built across them. At least you can't be cornered by the devil inside.

Crusoe - 3-20-2008 at 07:33 PM

Thanks Mango ........For the words of wisdom. Yurts belong in Tibet with their proud "Nomads", that ply the steppes and follow their stock.... It would be ashame an estetic disaster to see them popping up all over Baja just because their "cheap and easy". Personaly, I think most people go to Mexico to see Mexicans and feel Mexico. Pallapa and carboard and tarpaper stuctures serve just as well and are way more authentic as well as simple adobe block structures with hand troweled plaster finishes. I hope people that can afford to build second homes in Baja will try to keep it "Mexican". ++C++

DENNIS - 3-20-2008 at 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Crusoe
Thanks Mango ........For the words of wisdom. Yurts belong in Tibet with their proud "Nomads", that ply the steppes and follow their stock.... It would be ashame an estetic disaster to see them popping up all over Baja just because their "cheap and easy". Personaly, I think most people go to Mexico to see Mexicans and feel Mexico. Pallapa and carboard and tarpaper stuctures serve just as well and are way more authentic as well as simple adobe block structures with hand troweled plaster finishes. I hope people that can afford to build second homes in Baja will try to keep it "Mexican". ++C++

You must be a little less than thrilled to see all the old, worn out mobile homes that come south out of the states. Especially up here in the north, they are everywhere and more coming in every day. I don't know if the narrow road is prohibiting them from being delivered south but folks down there should hope that's the case.

gibson - 3-20-2008 at 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Crusoe

agreed and me thinx you have absolutely nothing to worry about.

Packoderm - 3-20-2008 at 10:29 PM

It seems that the good thing about having a yurt would be that it wouldn't hurt as bad if some person evicted you from your property. You can haul it out of there.

DENNIS - 3-21-2008 at 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Packoderm
It seems that the good thing about having a yurt would be that it wouldn't hurt as bad if some person evicted you from your property. You can haul it out of there.

Excellent point.

Diver - 3-21-2008 at 07:18 AM

Something about getting all your valueables stolen by anyone with a machete' doesn't appeal to me.

DENNIS - 3-21-2008 at 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver
Something about getting all your valueables stolen by anyone with a machete' doesn't appeal to me.

Another excellent point. I guess a soft-sided yurt is only a glorified tent.

Packoderm - 3-21-2008 at 10:14 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Diver

Another excellent point. I guess a soft-sided yurt is only a glorified tent.

Then all you would need to accompany the yurt would be a rusting hulk of a shipping container to store the stuff that others might be tempted to swipe.:lol: Really, if I had a shipping container on a Baja lot, I would frame up a pitched palapa roof on top for it. Not only would it look better, but it would insulate it from the hot sun. As far as how difficult it would be to break into a yurt, it couldn't be much more difficult to break into any of the casitas along the shore at Alfosinas in Gonzaga. The storage container would reduce the temptation. It would be easy to pack up when somebody with money, power, or a good lawyer decides that they should have the property rather than you.

bajabob42 - 4-3-2008 at 09:14 AM

Quote:
This is a Pacific Yurts model, they are canvas as you can see. Oregon Yurtworks build the wooden yurts. www.yurtworks.com

Mulegena - 4-5-2008 at 10:05 AM

Quote:

Actually, those round livingroom modulars are perfect for a large yurt. They can sit up near a rounded wall or can be placed to the center of a room to act as a room divider, ie. to separate livingroom from dining area. Wooden furniture with rounded Moorish-arch tops and round handles, while not round-backed, reference the round walls and non-linear feel of this special home. (Gee, I shoulda been born an interior decorator or tent salesman;)) Yurts are great, imo.

805gregg - 6-2-2009 at 03:52 PM

I don't care what you name it, it's still a tent.

Russ - 6-2-2009 at 07:39 PM

Now called Mindful Living http://www.yurtworks.com/