BajaNomad

La Turquesa Trek

Pages:  1    3

The squarecircle - 4-1-2008 at 04:49 PM

Greetings All,

You Macho dudes with your "go anywhere" 4X4 cages, get
ready to do the Turquesa run!!!!!!!

May 1----4, 2008. >>>>> Is that enough advance notice?

Lets get it done this time.(period)

Regards, sq.

BAJACAT - 4-1-2008 at 06:40 PM

Im in Roy,Will see how far I can go with BigRed.
How manny days are we talking about?

Fatboy - 4-1-2008 at 07:13 PM

I am unable to attend but would really like to see progress and a good trip report with pictures on this adventure.

The squarecircle - 4-1-2008 at 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
Im in Roy,Will see how far I can go with BigRed.
How manny days are we talking about?

Greetings BAJACAT, >>>May 1-4(4 days) >>> This trek may be beyond your rigs capabilities. >>> This run is hard even for motorcycles and extremely difficult for purpose built jeep like 4X4s. >>>> Best Regards,sq

The squarecircle - 4-1-2008 at 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fatboy
I am unable to attend but would really like to see progress and a good trip report with pictures on this adventure.

Greetings Fatboy, >>> If David K. attends this mission, your wishes will be granted. >>> Best Regards, sq.

TMW - 4-2-2008 at 07:19 AM

Sq, I'm coming but may have to catch up to you on the 2nd, but I'll try for the 1st. I'm in the same situation as Big Red since I don't have my little Toyota 4x4 anymore. I'm in my GMC Z71. I've got pry bars (4) and a portable winch with a 5000lb dead/15000lb rolling capability. We should be able to make a dent at least.

bajalou - 4-2-2008 at 07:26 AM

Sounds like something I will want to try - Where will youall meet up?

Steve&Debby - 4-2-2008 at 08:55 AM

I am interested but where is La Turquesa?

Neal Johns - 4-2-2008 at 10:06 AM

La Turquesa is just north of Coco's Corner.

Gadget - 4-2-2008 at 12:18 PM

Maybe.

Which direction do you plan on going in from?

Accomodations and supplies are better on the Hwy 1 side, but it may be easier to go up then to go down so Gonzaga would be base camp?

David K - 4-2-2008 at 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve&;Debby
I am interested but where is La Turquesa?

Nomad Search will give you lot's of hits... but since I am to blame in getting Squarecircle interested in this...

The Highway One side: http://vivabaja.com/207

The Highway Five side: http://vivabaja.com/wayno

High resolution Google space images allow you to see all of the route in high detail except for about 3 miles from Highway 1 east.

Google info: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=10620&pag...

Baja Nomad 'steekers' plans on going up and down it soon, and will report to us if he spots a route for 4 wheelers.

The issue is about 1 1/4 mile section in the arroyo between the turquoise mine and the bottom of the steep grade coming down from the Highway One side.

Kacey Smith in her Baja GPS motorcycle guide says to keep to the north side of the arroyo no matter how inviting other routes appear, as they have plant issues.

However, her route has boulders to work between. Okay for a bike, but not a vehicle. The middle or perhaps south side of the arroyo has plants that block the bikes, but may be plowed over or removed for four wheelers... only need about 9 feet wide and only to re-open the once established route washed out... Not like the destruction caused by the buiding of Hwy. 1 through the cactus desert with its 200 foot wide destruction of centuries old boojums and cardons!

An earlier reply by Desert Bull made it sound like he and Wild Bill came through there... But Squarecircle nor Ken Cooke saw any tracks...

Lot's of posts on this La Turquesa Canyon road since Baja Angel and I drove to the top of the grade and walked down some of it a year ago... Looks like an abandoned mine road that got washed out between the bottom of the grade and the turquoise mine.

Here's some of the grade heading down into La Turquesa Canyon:

[Edited on 4-3-2008 by David K]

David K - 4-3-2008 at 08:48 AM

A look up the grade from almost halfway down... a good 'Jeep' trail, at least here...

TMW - 4-3-2008 at 11:32 AM

I plan on picking up my friend Bill in LA Thursday morning and I think we'll head straight down thru TJ and Ensenada to Chapala and around to the mine. We'll be at the mine area Thursday night or Friday morning.

La Turquesa Trek

The squarecircle - 4-3-2008 at 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gadget
Maybe.

Accomodations and supplies are better on the Hwy 1 side, but it may be easier to go up then to go down so Gonzaga would be base camp?

Greetings All,

A special thank you to those NOMADS responding to the La Turquesa Trek. - BAJACAT/Fatboy/TW/ bajalou/Steve&;Debby/
Neal Johns/Gadget/David K.

1-- May 1, Thursday. Leave San Diego am head for El Rosario
and Baja Cactus Motel. Reservation required. Telephone
011-52(616)165-8700.

2-- May 2--3 Friday & Saturday. Drive M-1 to Laguna Chapala
>>> Coco's Corner >>> Las Arrastras de Arriola >>> La
Turquesa mine site >>> into the arroyo to start way-find-
ing and westward progress!

3-- May 4 Sunday. Celebrate the accomplishment and head
Home.

Regards, sq.

CG - 4-4-2008 at 11:44 AM

I'll give it a go:

David K - 4-4-2008 at 11:59 AM

Here's Roy's post last year on La Turquesa... and go down to read his trip report upon their return... and of more interest, Desert Bull's reply that indicates some 4WD's made it through (between the grade and the mine):

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=25035

It's a matter of spotting the route in the wide arroyo...

Here are Roy's photos of the Turquesa mine and road from last year: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=24607

[Edited on 4-4-2008 by David K]

Ken Cooke - 4-4-2008 at 07:09 PM

Make sure to carry those pry bars, bottles of sunscreen, hats, water, gloves, and GPS units. I'm sure that with enough work, and the right logistics, a way through can be found.

steekers - 4-4-2008 at 09:29 PM

I will be heading down there tomorrow (Sat) and will ride my XR 400 m/c. Will scout for you 4-wheelers. No one has responded to my other post to ride with me so I guess this is a solo adventure. If I get lucky I may meet a nice lady m/c rider in Gonzaga that wants to go along!

Will let you all know upon my return.

Till then...

XRPhlang - 4-5-2008 at 05:24 PM

Sounds exciting. Are bikes allowed?

Picture 003R.JPG - 50kB

TMW - 4-7-2008 at 03:17 PM

I had an interesting conversation on Sat. with Evan, one of Tunaeaters riding pardners at the race. He has been over this section a couple of times both ways on a MC. He says once the wash is cleared for a 4 wheeler to the bottom of the hill, the next problem would be the loose rocks at the bottom going up the hill. He says there are a lot of small loose rocks. He doesn't think there is any problem with a 4 wheeler on the road itself once up pass the loose rocks.

[Edited on 4-7-2008 by TW]

Ken Cooke - 4-7-2008 at 06:20 PM

Our problem was scoping out a route which wasn't dominated by huge brush since the wash was filled with large rocks, dropoffs, and thorny brush. It could be negotiated, but it also looked like a bit of work and dedication.

I drove up the south side of the arroyo (not advisable), and up a dry waterfall. The lava rock was so sticky, my Jeep went up it, lifted the passenger tire straight in the air, and I nearly flopped it on my drivers side. This is without using my lockers. Keep an eye on this, since traction can also bring trouble if you're not careful.

This outcropping is not as tippy as it appears from behind the drivers seat. Mike actually lifted a tire here with his swaybar disconnected up front.

Further up from the outcropping (coming from the Coco's Corner road), you will see this interesting dropoff. Spotting is never a bad idea, especially with the terrain here..

XRPhlang - 4-11-2008 at 07:58 AM

I've been wanting to ride the mine road for a couple of years. A year ago on a ride to Gonzaga I found the end where it meets the hwy, but I was solo and didn't want to risk it. I would love to join up with you guys. My question is do you have a problem with a bike tagging along?

What's the plan for Fri. & Sat. Is the group going to camp, go back to Baja Cactus, stay in Gonzaga??

David K - 4-11-2008 at 08:03 AM

I am sure a m/c along would be a great thing for the four wheelers, as you could scout a route.

'steekers' was down there last weekend and said he was going to use the Turquesa grade to go up to Santa Ynez and back from Gonzaga Bay... So, we are waiting for his report.

Kacey Smith's Baja GPS Guide says that m/c track stays to the right (north) side of the arroyo to avoid shrubs, but has to work through boulders. Autos can get through brush better than they can through boulders, so that would mean they need to work up the middle or the left (south) side of the arroyo valley/ canyon...?

Gadget - 4-11-2008 at 10:32 AM

Thanks for your call last night Roy (sqcrcl). You sure have your elastic waste band, one size fits all cargo pants in a bunch about this deal ;D.

Seriously, I would love to bring GSB and help out but finances are very tight for us right now. Leslie has the budget locked down pretty tight thankfully, or I would have us in even more stress :no:

So, and I'm fishing here, if anyone out there would like to co-dog with me on this and share fuel expenses, there may be a possibility that Les could be convinced to let me go, and Roy would stop calling and bugging me. I've asked him to just call Leslie and lobby for me, but he's scared of her too. :lol:

David K - 4-11-2008 at 01:20 PM

Wil, in GSB or my Tacoma (if I can swing it)?

Gadget - 4-11-2008 at 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Wil, in GSB or my Tacoma (if I can swing it)?

I think Roy wants the 4 wheels with power and the 9500i winch of GSB down there.

You know this work, or lack thereof, deal just sucks :!:
What I need is a professional life sponsor so I can just do what I like. Anyone!!! :biggrin:

Hook - 4-11-2008 at 01:35 PM

Quote:

What I need is a professional life sponsor so I can just do what I like. Anyone!!! :biggrin:

Too bad you aren't a different sex and marital status. I've seen that worked to perfection here in SoCal. :lol:

[Edited on 4-11-2008 by Hook]

Gadget - 4-11-2008 at 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Quote:

Too bad you aren't a different sex and marital status. I've seen that worked to perfection here in SoCal. :lol:

[Edited on 4-11-2008 by Hook]

No one will ever be able to convince that I didn't marry up. I married my "sugar momma" for reasons other than money though. :bounce:

And please keep your thoughts clean, that isn't what I meant.... entirely :saint:

David K - 4-11-2008 at 04:23 PM

You did good Will!

707 001r.JPG - 43kB

TMW - 4-11-2008 at 06:32 PM

David come on down in your Tacoma and I'll follow you in from the west side. Bring long tow straps just in case.

[Edited on 4-12-2008 by TW]

Ken Cooke - 4-11-2008 at 07:48 PM

David,

Bring a 2nd spare tire just in case. That terrain is tough on tires, and theres lots of thorny stuff to contend with...

-Ken

David K - 4-12-2008 at 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
David,

Bring a 2nd spare tire just in case. That terrain is tough on tires, and theres lots of thorny stuff to contend with...

-Ken

Thanks Ken, but I don't have a second spare.... I have NEVER used the one spare under my truck as I have never had a flat with this Toyota on any of the three brands of tires that have been on it (BFG, COOPER, TOYO).

Anyway, if I went it would be as co-pilot in Gadget's GSB Bronco...

Ken Cooke - 4-12-2008 at 09:19 AM

In November, we had to pull thorns out of the sidewall of the Tacoma that is pictured here. It was totally unexpected, but due to a little driver error, and the really tight nature of this trail, circumstances happened.

I was thinking primarily about your vehicle's bolt pattern and the interchangeability with other participating vehicles. Viva Baja!

TMW - 4-12-2008 at 09:26 AM

The Tacoma is a 6 lug pattern that's a little closer together than a GM vehicle. I've got a spare toyota wheel but the tire is a 31x10.50x15 inch.

Gadget - 4-12-2008 at 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
David come on down in your Tacoma and I'll follow you in from the west side. Bring long tow straps just in case.

Still not officially committed to this but I think this is a great idea.

Crews from both sides with radio comm and GPS to clearly identify location and then meeting in the middle will have the best chance of success IMHO.

Ken Cooke - 4-12-2008 at 12:10 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by TW

Still not officially committed to this but I think this is a great idea.

Crews from both sides with radio comm and GPS to clearly identify location and then meeting in the middle will have the best chance of success IMHO.

That's a great plan. Pinpoint the trouble spots, zero in, and create a route that works to get from Hwy 1 to Coco's on the dirt using 4 wheels.

La Turquesa Trek

The squarecircle - 4-12-2008 at 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The squarecircle
Quote:
Maybe.

Accomodations and supplies are better on the Hwy 1 side, but it may be easier to go up then to go down so Gonzaga would be base camp? [/quot

Greetings All,

A special thank you to those NOMADS responding to the La Turquesa Trek. - BAJACAT/Fatboy/TW/ bajalou/Steve&;Debby/

011-52(616)165-8700.

Home.

Regards, sq.

Greetings All, >>>> BUMP this please!! >>>>Regards, sq.

steekers - 4-13-2008 at 10:12 PM

I just emailed DK a bunch of photos of the wash. I took them last Sunday from the rocks above the mine so all of you going could get a view from above the wash. I hope they help.

I didn't make it all the way up the grade on my XR400 as my fuel and time ran out. Had to ride back to San Felipe and get home for work the next day.

Hope all of you going have a good time!

STEEKERS PICS

David K - 4-14-2008 at 07:34 AM

Two photos show both the valley and then the grade up the mountain, from the turquoise mine... Steekers didn't say why his trip to Santa Ynez was cancelled, but we all know how Baja can be... She doesn't give up her secrets easily!!!

Thanks Michael for going to the mine and getting the great photos that clearly show the grade coming down the mountain from Hwy. 1!

Photo A, shows the canyon/ valley from the mine to the mountain side... the grade is on the right in the background:

IMG_2461r.JPG - 47kB

PHOTO 'B'

David K - 4-14-2008 at 07:36 AM

Here is a close up of the grade... reduced for Nomad posting. If any of the La Turquesa road building crew wants the full size image, let me know!

IMG_2463r.JPG - 49kB

Gadget - 4-14-2008 at 10:17 AM

Looks tough. Gonna be HOT if this weather pattern persists.

mtgoat666 - 4-14-2008 at 10:22 AM

Quote:
Here is a close up of the grade... reduced for Nomad posting. If any of the La Turquesa road building crew wants the full size image, let me know!

Looks like about a 1- to 2-hour hike or 15-minute mtn bike. Why beat up your vehicles when you can hike or bike it in shorter time (and get cardio vascular work out at same time)? :light: :light:
Lack of roads is what draws us to remote areas. Creating roads just opens up remote areas for the crowds, then y'all complain about how it used to be better before the crowds. :P :lol:

Gadget - 4-14-2008 at 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:

Looks like about a 1- to 2-hour hike or 15-minute mtn bike. Why beat up your vehicles when you can hike or bike it in shorter time (and get cardio vascular work out at same time)? :light: :light:
Lack of roads is what draws us to remote areas. Creating roads just opens up remote areas for the crowds, then y'all complain about how it used to be better before the crowds. :P :lol:

Proposed plan is a point A to point B cutoff from Mex 1 to just north of Cocos corner, a total distance of around 10 miles. General traffic already uses the road from Puertocitos southbound or comes in from Laguna Chapala northbound. This route is already occasionally used by motos and would be rarely used by the most adventurous 4wd vehicles IF a path can be discovered.

Not time to play the chicken little card just yet MT.

Barry A. - 4-14-2008 at 11:43 AM

Great Photo, David.

That road-grade looks really steep--------in addition to the rock problems at the bottom of the grade in the wash. Does anybody know if it is as steep (and thereby eroded) as it looks? or is it passable by normal 4x4's? So far I have not heard any commentary by anybody who has driven it down to the wash from the west to east------did I miss something?

What a challenge!!!

Mt Goat-----at 70 I don't do a lot of mountain biking and long range backpacking, but I still want to see this country------a little compromising might be in order, don't you think? Wilderness, tho fine, is not the total answer, and must be set aside with careful consideration and balance, it seems to me.

Barry

David K - 4-14-2008 at 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Great Photo, David.

That road-grade looks really steep--------in addition to the rock problems at the bottom of the grade in the wash. Does anybody know if it is as steep (and thereby eroded) as it looks? or is it passable by normal 4x4's? So far I have not heard any commentary by anybody who has driven it down to the wash from the west to east------did I miss something?

What a challenge!!!

Mt Goat-----at 70 I don't do a lot of mountain biking and long range backpacking, but I still want to see this country------a little compromising might be in order, don't you think? Wilderness, tho fine, is not the total answer, and must be set aside with careful consideration and balance, it seems to me.

Barry

Barry, see this web page that created the idea of re-opening this washed out road... it shows the grade (upper half) as I walked down almost halfway... http://vivabaja.com/207

The squarecircle later walked all the way down, from the top... It is an old 'Jeep road' from perhaps the pre-Hwy. 1 years. The upper half I walked, is of no concern to me in my Tacoma... It would be tight in a full size truck or SUV. The reason for walking down was that I didn't know if there would be a safe place to turn around IF there was some drop off/ wash-out beyond where I could see, from the top.

As it turns out, there was a place to turn around half way down...

MtGoat: It is to create a shortcut for 4WDs to use between Cataviņa (Hwy. 1) and Gonzaga Bay/ Puertecitos/ etc. Not just a 10 mile excursion with no purpose except open up more beautiful country to more people.

A short cut will save FUEL and thus be environmentally friendly to the earth!:light: The distance from Hwy. 1 to Gonzaga would be reduced by 20 miles overall by not driving down to Chapala 12 miles only to have to drive back north 18 miles towards Gonzaga Bay.... just the 10 miles via La Turquesa!

And (as Barry pointed out), not all of us are physically able to hike or climb in the desert for such distances, if at all... but that sould not be used to descriminate against all such people... it's their planet too!:yes:

The distance from the bottom of the turquoise mine to the bottom of the grade is about 1.3 miles... of the total approx. 10-11 miles between Hwy. 5 and Hwy. 1.

[Edited on 4-15-2008 by David K]

surfer jim - 4-15-2008 at 07:50 AM

OK then...I am still trying to find out how to get to remote areas if we don't take roads?....."hike and bike" ?.....

Well....even how to get to BAJA without using roads....oh that's right ..."..hike and bike....":no:

La Turquesa Trek

The squarecircle - 4-18-2008 at 12:59 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Maybe.

Accomodations and supplies are better on the Hwy 1 side, but it may be easier to go up then to go down so Gonzaga would be base camp? [/quot

Greetings All,

011-52(616)165-8700.

Home.

Regards, sq.

Greetings All,

Lets get it done! >>> Only 13 days until the La Turquesa Trek.

So far possible participances are,
1. BAJACAT
2. Neal Johns
3. TW
4. bajalou
5. Gadget
6. Steve&;Debby
7. David K
8. CG
9. XRPhang
10. Ken Cooke
11. steekers
12. Ty Tipton

Any interested in caravaning all or partway to the mine site can meet in Tecate, U.S.A. gas station 0800 hrs May 1, 2008 thursday. > I have planned some very interesting stops on the way to El Rosario, the first nite stop over. > See above itinerary.

La Turquesa Trek is not an easy run and not for the faint of heart. > This is a challange to any 4X4 and has had much discussion on these BajaNomad Forums. I suggest reading all threads on La Turquesa Trek before committing to this trek.

Lets start a new committment list here.
1. squarecircle
2. Richard Fisher
+.

Happy trails, sq.

TMW - 4-18-2008 at 04:46 PM

TW and BJ are in.

Mtn. Goat 666 is a wuss

Ken Cooke - 4-18-2008 at 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by surfer jimWell....even how to get to BAJA without using roads....oh that's right ..."..hike and bike....":no:

I actually bike most weekends to stay in shape. So, I have nothing against those pasttimes. I'll be hiking into the mud caves in Anza Borrego. But, if your time is short, and you need to see Baja during just 1 week, this method of travel is impractical. Mtn Goat 666 likes to drop in, in order to "Stir the pot", but he is just trying to jab at ppl.

Remember his comment about lifted vehicles being unsafe? Does his Saturn have a lift on it?

Remember is comment about mud-terrain tires being unsafe? Does his Saturn have mud-terrain tires on it?

His "Hike & Bike" comment? Does his mother drop him off at the border so he can hike and/or bike throughout the peninsula? :?:

bajalou - 4-18-2008 at 07:17 PM

I have to go to the old country for a few days for my wife to help with her mother's health problems. If I get back in time, I plan to head down.

La Turquesa Trek

The squarecircle - 4-18-2008 at 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
TW and BJ are in.

Thank you TW. > Let me know if you want caravan. > But, who is BJ? > Best Regards, sq.

The squarecircle - 4-18-2008 at 08:37 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by TW
TW and BJ are in.

Thank you TW. > Let me know if you want caravan. > But, who is BJ? > Best Regards, sq.

Thank you bajalou for the comeback. > Regards, sq.

David K - 4-19-2008 at 08:36 AM

My irrigation business is really picking up now that the rain is gone and the sun is hot. Phone ringing all day long... I will not be able to take off those days Roy... need to build up the dinero reserves as the tax man just drained my account!

You guys have fun... may the force be with you!

TMW - 4-19-2008 at 09:56 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by TW
TW and BJ are in.

BJ is my friend Bill Jarchow (silent h+w) from Semi Valley (LA). I'm picking him up a Whiteman airport Thursday morning. He has a 4 seater plane if we ever want to fly over to explore.

[Edited on 4-19-2008 by TW]

La Turquesa Trek

The squarecircle - 4-19-2008 at 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by TW
TW and BJ are in.

BJ is my friend Bill Jarchow (silent h+w) from Semi Valley (LA). I'm picking him up a Whiteman airport Thursday morning. He has a 4 seater plane if we ever want to fly over to explore.

Greetings TW & BJ, >>> My interesting rememberance is a "fly over" to locate and crudely map the then lost and unused Pole Line Road with Howard McCubbin (pilot), Arvin Nielson and myself. The following weekend Howard and I drove it and opened it up for future treks. >>> Regards, sq.

[Edited on 4-19-2008 by The squarecircle]

Gadget - 4-19-2008 at 11:33 AM

My cash situation is the same as Davids.

Unless 1 of the 2 preliminary contracts we have out moves quickly forward or I find a co-dog to share expenses, I will not be able to make it. We are living on savings at present.

XRPhlang - 4-21-2008 at 09:38 AM

XRPhlang is going. I'll be going solo, traveling on Wed. I plan to do a ride out to Punta San Carlos from El Rosario on Thurs. I guess I'll meet up with everybody on Thurs. evening at Baja Cactus Motel?? Really looking foward to this ride and meeting some Nomads.

La Turquesa Trek

The squarecircle - 4-22-2008 at 03:51 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Maybe.

Greetings All,

011-52(616)165-8700.

Home.

Regards, sq.

Greetings All,

Lets get it done! >>> Only 9 days until the La Turquesa Trek.

1. BAJACAT
2. Neal Johns
3. TW
4. bajalou
5. Gadget
6. Steve&;Debby
7. David K
8. CG
9. XRPhang
10. Ken Cooke
11. steekers
12. Ty Tipton

Any interested in caravaning all or partway to the mine site can meet in Tecate, U.S.A. gas station 0800 hrs May 1, 2008 thursday. > I have planned some very interesting stops on the way to El Rosario, the first nite stop over. > See above itinerary.

La Turquesa Trek is not an easy run and not for the faint of heart. > This is a challange to any 4X4 and has had much discussion on these BajaNomad Forums. I suggest reading all threads on La Turquesa Trek before committing to this trek.

1. squarecircle
2. Richard Fisher
3. TW
4. BJ
5. XRPhang
+.

Happy trails, sq.

La Turquesa Trek

The squarecircle - 4-22-2008 at 04:03 PM

Quote:
My cash situation is the same as Davids.

Unless 1 of the 2 preliminary contracts we have out moves quickly forward or I find a co-dog to share expenses, I will not be able to make it. We are living on savings at present.

Greetings Will,

If there is a Will there is a way.

Will = way

Yes, I am just punning away. sq.

The squarecircle - 4-25-2008 at 09:20 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Maybe.

Greetings All,

011-52(616)165-8700.

Home.

Regards, sq.

Greetings All,

Lets get it done! >>> Only 6 days until the La Turquesa Trek.

1. BAJACAT
2. Neal Johns
3. TW
4. bajalou
5. Gadget
6. Steve&;Debby
7. David K
8. CG
9. XRPhang
10. Ken Cooke
11. steekers
12. Ty Tipton

1. squarecircle
2. Richard Fisher
3. TW
4. BJ
5. XRPhang
7. CG
+.

Happy trails, sq.

TMW - 4-26-2008 at 09:50 AM

Sq are you going to have a radio with you and if so what freq will you be on. I'll bring mine and unless I hear different I'll be on 151.625mhz.

La Turquesa Trek

The squarecircle - 4-26-2008 at 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Sq are you going to have a radio with you and if so what freq will you be on. I'll bring mine and unless I hear different I'll be on 151.625mhz.

Good to here form you TW, >>> When traveling on road in the U.S.A. and on road in Baja, I monitor C.B. channel 19. >>> When I am off-road with others the C.B. will be on channel 37 or 38. >>> I prefer to not take the 2 meter south because of not having the proper Mex. license to operate with impunity. >>> That license is tied to your tourist permit. ... Your t. permit dies and so does the license. >>> Fee is reported to be 50- 75 dollars! >>> You know, as if the law is created on the spot. >>> Maybe this is what some like about Mexico!!! >>> The small and cheap but capable "family GMRS/ FRS" radios down south must also be be licensed if used on GMRS freqs. in both U.S.A. and Mex. >>> These have also been confiscated down south, but the dollar loss minimal. >>> I tend to be a minimalist when risking my comm. gear! >>> Do you plan on caravaning? I look forward to seeing you and BJ. >>> Best Regards, sq.

TMW - 4-27-2008 at 10:56 AM

I'm picking BJ up Thursday morning near the I-5 and the 118 at Whiteman airport between 8-9am then head south.

David K - 4-27-2008 at 11:02 AM

You guys have a great time and much success! I have work all week up here in Alta California... so, I will only be there in spirit...

Remember, the left (south) side of the valley has the brush/ cactus and the right side has the boulders...

The bikes stay to the right and wiggle through the boulders to get to the bottom of the grade... But a truck/ SUV won't be able to do that.

Roy has a plan, I am sure!! May the force be with you!!

Gadget - 4-27-2008 at 01:41 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by TW

I prefer to not take the 2 meter south because of not having the proper Mex. license to operate with impunity. >>>

Oh Roy, stop it. I have never heard of anyone even purchasing said license let alone getting asked if they have one or having the radio confiscated because they don't. :D

I guess you can pretty much pay for anything in Mex if you ask them to take your money for it.

Just think what an industry this could be during a SCORE race, with officials checking every vehicle with an antenna on the roof for proper licensing of the 2 meter inside. It would be chaos! :lol:

Fdt, no fair passing this along to anyone :no:

TMW - 4-27-2008 at 04:56 PM

A couple of years ago I went south after a SF250 race and just before Gonzaga Bay at the military check point the captain saw my radios in the back seat and antennas on the roof and ask for my Mexican license. I explained they were race radios and the license was part of the entry fee paid to SCORE for the race. [There is a radio fee charged for the 1000 I think.] Any way we went back and forth over this for several minutes and he finally told me to go on. That is the only time I have ever been asked for a license for my radios. I don't know what the Mexican law is for two way radios.

TacoFeliz - 4-27-2008 at 05:52 PM

:o:o:o Jeeebus! :o:o:o

What is all the uproar about radios? At the risk of starting a radio info pfi$$ing match, here is the general info.

CBs are legal there anywhere, anytime, FRS/GMRS are used regularly by folks up and down the penninsula, like RV caravans, lost seniors in WalMart, beachcombers and parents with teenagers they're trying to keep track of. Ham two meter (144-148 MHz) rigs are used legally through RECIPROCAL LICENSING AGREEMENTS between the Mexican and U.S. governments (a standing question on the FCC license test in the U.S.). VHF marine band radios are used by locals, hotels, ejidos and pangeros for daily communication, marine and otherwise.

Race radios use U.S. commercial band FM frequencies in Mexico through an agreement between race organizers and the Mexican communications authorities. If anybody confiscates your gear, you have a legitimate grievance with somebody higher up the Baja food chain.

[Edited on 4-28-2008 by TacoFeliz]

[Edited on 4-28-2008 by TacoFeliz]

Ken Cooke - 4-27-2008 at 08:12 PM

Good luck on locating the route. I hope everything goes as planned. I will report back from the Goa Gil event in Tijuana next week.

Just can't wait to hear 24 hours of Goa Trance. :bounce:

The squarecircle - 4-28-2008 at 12:43 AM

Attention Taco Feliz,

"IF ANYBODY CONFISCATES YOUR GEAR, YOU HAVE A LEGITMATE GRIEVANCE WITH SAMEBODY HIGHER UP THE BAJA FOOD CHAIN."

" LEGITMATE GRIEVANCE" You resemble a man with a paper rectum fighting a forest fire!

I assume you would enjoy TRANCE music 24 hrs. straight by GOA TRANCE.

Jeeeebus ? You are truly lost and just wandering aimlessly.

Good luck, sq.

TacoFeliz - 4-28-2008 at 01:00 AM

Thanks, Sq. All offers of good luck gratefully accepted.

You seem to be SHOUTING. Did I somehow touch a nerve?

TMW - 4-29-2008 at 07:26 AM

Gadget, as they say, come on down. I'll be in my silver GMC Z71 and I'll have my XR250 Honda so I can maybe do some scouting. I've got 4 pry bars.

The squarecircle - 4-30-2008 at 10:44 AM

Greetings All, >>> I Sincerely thank all Nomads and others for their interest in the not so easy La Turquesa Trek. >>> Yes, this type of 4X4 adventure does require a certain driving adversity bucked up with a strong determination. >>> Meet May 1 Thursday 0800hrs. at the gas station in Tecate, U.S.A. for a fine adventure, if so inclined, and lets get it done. >>> Be there or be ++++++ ................. OOPS!!!!! >>> Happy trails, sq.

[Edited on 4-30-2008 by The squarecircle]

Roberto - 4-30-2008 at 02:12 PM

Sq, what's with all the >'s in your posts? Just curious, and it really makes them hard to read.

BAJACAT - 4-30-2008 at 05:00 PM

I will have to settle by looking at the pictures>>>>,since my truck wasn't welcome for being a fullsize>>>>,just kidding guys and gals,have fun and I can wait for the trip report>>>>.Roy say hi to Blanche, for me. looking foward for some other time, to ride with you guys>>>>.

PS just kidding ROBERTO>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

David K - 4-30-2008 at 07:09 PM

Jose, you going to the BOOKSIGNING this Saturday???

Gadget - 4-30-2008 at 10:18 PM

Have a good trip and good luck. I'm not going to make it sadly :barf:

CG - 4-30-2008 at 10:31 PM

I won't be making this or Goa Gill, got a case of the crud. :fire:

David K - 5-1-2008 at 08:07 AM

Those not on the La Turquesa trek, come on down to the Pyramid Resort and support Keri's hard work at making the SIXTH book signing great!

I am looking forward to Roy's report and photos and wish him, TW and the others cool road building weather!

See the rest of you this Saturday afternoon at Keri's event!

BAJACAT - 5-1-2008 at 07:47 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Don't know David,right now looks like a no go.I will know by tomorrow.Have fun.say hi to BA

Jose, you going to the BOOKSIGNING this Saturday???

Ken Cooke - 5-1-2008 at 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by CG
I won't be making this or Goa Gill, got a case of the crud. :fire:

Chris can't go to Goa Gil, and I'm not leaving my Rubicon parked on the street in TJ, so unfortunately I'm not gonna hear my Psychedelic Trance guru, either.

Waaaa!!! :no: :no: :no:

[Edited on 5-2-2008 by Ken Cooke]

Roberto - 5-1-2008 at 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Huh? Sorry, I haven't taken that test for a while... you mean you don't need to get an XE call sign for 2 meter? Does that extend to other bands also?

--Larry

Strictly speaking, yes. At least for the ham bands. Understand that does not mean passing the ham test in Mexico, rather paying a fee to get the temporary license granted under the reciprocity agreement mentioned. The commercial bands fall under a different set of rules.

I have a U.S. license. Have I ever followed this procedure? No. Have I ever even been asked (beyond curious remarks - I have three radios in the truck and a satellite phone and two GPS units)? No - the soldiers at the checkpoint are more interested in the 8-cell MagLite :lol::lol::lol::lol: Up to a few years ago, they didn't even know what the GPS unit was -- now they ask GPS? I say yes -- all good. Pretty much what you would expect.

surfer jim - 5-2-2008 at 08:14 AM

Does anyone know if anybody has accually left for this trip yet?

David K - 5-2-2008 at 08:22 AM

They are there right now Jim... Roy called me the day before he left...

Roberto - 5-2-2008 at 10:30 AM

You get an XE prefix to your U.S. call. I'm XE2/KG6TBF. Valid for up to six months, I believe.

surfer jim - 5-2-2008 at 11:55 AM

Wanted to go on this trip...especially since there seemed to be some open seats.....just wasn't the best weekend for me.....

Gadget - 5-2-2008 at 02:42 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
Quote:
Huh? Sorry, I haven't taken that test for a while... you mean you don't need to get an XE call sign for 2 meter? Does that extend to other bands also?

--Larry

Strictly speaking, yes. At least for the ham bands. Understand that does not mean passing the ham test in Mexico, rather paying a fee to get the temporary license granted under the reciprocity agreement mentioned.

Now I'm really confused. :lol:

Does that "temporary license" grant me an XE call or am I then legally operating in Mexico with my U.S. call?

Does anyone here have an XE call?

--Larry

I don't.

Our crew protocol is a mixture of HAM / CB. We hail each other by vehicle (GSB) or handle (Gadget), use some numerical language 10-4, 10-9, 10-20 etc. There is no cursing allowed and we try to keep talk to necessary comm ie. traffic, directions, issues, points of interest, good and bad hazards on the trail.

We hear some using the freqs like they're on a cell phone just chatting away about the most inane things.

[Edited on 5-2-2008 by Gadget]

The squarecircle - 5-4-2008 at 06:14 AM

Greetings All, >>> It is done. >>> Now Land Rover's LR 3 RULES period!

Regards, sq.

Hook - 5-4-2008 at 06:23 AM

Quote:

Regards, sq.

At least it wasnt a TOY ota.........:lol:

Anxiously awaiting the details.

Hook - 5-4-2008 at 06:29 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
Quote:

--Larry

Strictly speaking, yes. At least for the ham bands. Understand that does not mean passing the ham test in Mexico, rather paying a fee to get the temporary license granted under the reciprocity agreement mentioned.

Now I'm really confused. :lol:

Does that "temporary license" grant me an XE call or am I then legally operating in Mexico with my U.S. call?

Does anyone here have an XE call?

--Larry

Here is a link that explains the complexities in getting a reciprocal license. It's a little more involved than just applying with one form, according to this link. I got this off the Club Cruceros of La Paz site. I have not applied yet.

http://www.geocities.com/wd9ewk/xe-permit.html

Ken Cooke - 5-4-2008 at 07:28 AM

So, did you have to do any road building, or did you simply find a decent route for the vehicles to continue through the canyon????

When I went with 5 or 6 other rigs, we were completely confused with all of the different possible routes that could have been taken from one end of the canyon up to the other end. Mother Nature had occasionally turned this canyon into a raging rapid, and with rocks and boulders placed in such a manner to make this obvious.

So, if it is a route that was found, or a route that had to be constructed, let us know, so that we can travel this route in our 4 wheels in the near future. Also, was the brush extremely tight? Were the rocks large? Please elaborate.

Ken Cooke - 5-4-2008 at 08:10 AM

Lencho,

You should start another thread here so that the La Turquesa people can talk about the trail, and you can talk about CB radios and HAM on another thread. Think about it.

Ken

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Here is a link that explains the complexities in getting a reciprocal license. It's a little more involved than just applying with one form, according to this link. I got this off the Club Cruceros of La Paz site. I have not applied yet.

http://www.geocities.com/wd9ewk/xe-permit.html

Thanks. That's very useful. Looks like I (general class) could get a class II (all bands) for 5 years for US$70, which might be worthwhile.

(hmmm... whatever did I do with my ham license...:lol: )

--Larry

David K - 5-4-2008 at 09:39 AM

Quote:

Regards, sq.

Roy, when you get back online.... you need to share some D E T A I L S !!!:light:

Ken Cooke - 5-4-2008 at 11:08 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Regards, sq.

Roy, when you get back online.... you need to share some D E T A I L S !!!:light:

X2...:light:

I figure he's getting caught up on his sleep, buffing out scraches on his sheetmetal, or replacing plugged tires...

Ken Cooke - 5-4-2008 at 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lenchoNo need, I'm through. Sometimes it's hard to predict how far a casual side comment will develop, and before you realize it, we've dragged the original topic through the swamp. :)

--Larry

I disagree. In November '07, I drove to La Turquesa with 8 volunteers to fix this route, so it is very important for me to know the conditions of this route. Roy and TW wanted to attend so they could lead the volunteers, but they could not be there. So, with this much invested in trying to fix this route, and wanting to lead future 4WD groups through this region (sorry, MTN Goat 666), I am very much interested in the original topic.

Gadget - 5-4-2008 at 01:12 PM

All points bulletin now out for Roy or Tom.

All us who couldn't fix our schedules or finances to go are squirming for details.

And if it wasn't epic, you better make something up!

Ken Cooke - 5-4-2008 at 01:29 PM

On my way in November to La Turquesa...meeting The Baja Xplorer!! That's him on my right. Did you see him in Dust To Glory w/Coco???

I can't wait to get him & his Toyota (& crew) up into La Turquesa. His truck did wonders on the Pole Line Road in '04, btw...

Why isn't Mike smiling??? Probably because he can't find a way through to Hwy 1 at the La Turquesa mine. What a situation. His new '07 Jeep Rubicon JK did great on the trail, btw...

surfer jim - 5-4-2008 at 02:59 PM

I've got to know......:bounce:

TMW - 5-5-2008 at 08:00 AM

The quick version is we met up on the mine road on Friday about noon. Roy (squarecircle) and Richard in the Land Rover, Phil on MC, BJ and TW in GMC Z71. We walked the wash that afternoon to where it exits to go up the hill. Richard crisscrossed the wash several times to spot the best route, the guy is like Daniel Boone. Roy and Richard marked the course on the return trip to camp. We camped about 1/4 mile in the wash Friday night. After breakfast on Sat. Phil had clutch problems on his MC and was having problems in the rocks and decided to go back to Catavina.

With Roy leading we started up the wash. After about 1/4 mile I decided to leave my GMC and BJ and I became road builders (slave labor) for the Land Rover. We basically followed the MC trail. There were 4 or 5, maybe more, places where a long wheel base vehicle will not go without really serious winching of boulders, if that is even possible. There were at least 2 or 3 places where we spent considerable time moving, filling, pulling, cussing, sweating and at near exhausting work finally got the Land Rover thru. After 8 hours we were at the hill to get out of the wash and our biggest fear was about to come true. Having to turn around and go back out the way we came in.

The hill is about 45 degrees going up and maybe 45 feet long. A solid MC path is on the west side but very loose rocks on the east side where the rains have washed them down. We moved several rocks for a more clean path up. One problem is there was a tall cactus that made a straight run impossible. Roy would have to go around it then making a run up. We went over all the possibilities. Roy would try a go easy run and see what happens. Richard is on top spotting him with a radio. At about 1/5 up his wheels start digging in. Stop back down and try again a little faster. He got a little further. 3rd try a little more but rear end is shifting out to the east toward a downhill slope. Now Roy gets really serious and tries a bonzi run and get about 2/3rds up. back down and we clear a few more rocks. We have come too far to have to go back now. Roy is determined to make it. At the top I have a happy snappy camera from Richard ready to take the picture as he would crest the top. Roy backs into the charge position and puts the pedal to the metal. He's bouncing up and down, left then right, the left front tire is airborn, then the right rear. He gets a little sideways then straightens out and with a roar tops the hill to the cheers of the faithful. In all the excitement I didn't snap the pix as he crested the top but after he stopped. Sorry.

With all the crap the Land Rover went thru there were only pin strips on the sides, no dents, no flats and no leaks. About two hours later BJ and I go out and around by Cocos onto hwy 1 and meet Roy and Richard at the top of the mountain to make sure he got all the way up and out. When we got to him he had a million dollar smile, he was king.

Land Rover rules the roost.

David K - 5-5-2008 at 08:08 AM

Wonderful!

Would you say that the Land Rover was the first vehicle to go between the mine and the grade since the road was last used, perhaps 30 years ago?

I ask because someone else made a claim here on Nomad that sounded like they got through a couple years ago...

TMW - 5-5-2008 at 08:58 AM

That's hard to say. I would say that if they were in a short wheel base vehicle and especially a narrow one like an older Toyota 4 runner with lot's of clearence they very well could have done it. If they are saying a full size truck then they would have had to go a different route than we did. Richard did a lot of back and forth serveying in the wash and we took the best route possible now. Back a few years it's really hard to say. The rains could have totally changed the course.
 Pages:  1    3