BajaNomad

La Turquesa Trek

Pages:  1  2  

Barry A. - 5-5-2008 at 09:12 AM

TW-----Did the Land Rover have a locker? Front or rear? or both?

Barry

Gadget - 5-5-2008 at 09:47 AM

YES, good news!

We need GPS coordinates so we can map it.

Roberto - 5-5-2008 at 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
I ask because someone else made a claim here on Nomad that sounded like they got through a couple years ago...

Must have missed that one. Who was that? Have a llink?

Hook - 5-5-2008 at 11:06 AM

Doesnt sound like much of a shortcut, by the description. Think I'll stick to the main road. :biggrin:

Congrats to the Lewis and Clark motorized expedition!

TMW - 5-5-2008 at 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.

Barry

No it doesn't and that was a problem getting out of the wash and going up the lower part of the mountain. Was not a big problem in the wash.

Hook - 5-5-2008 at 11:44 AM

I take it this wouldnt have been too tough on an ATV, TW?

tripledigitken - 5-5-2008 at 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Quote:

Barry

No it doesn't and that was a problem getting out of the wash and going up the lower part of the mountain. Was not a big problem in the wash.

Surprized to hear that. It is an option. All have center locking differentials though. I know his has the adjustable ride height (up to 12" of clearance). He completed an offroad event in Big Bear that had sections rated 5, which is pretty impressive.

Great job Squarecircle.

Ken

Gadget - 5-5-2008 at 12:24 PM

TW, I believe it does lock both ends, but may be wrong. I fade out sometimes under the verbal stylings of the SQC.

Hook, the well known options to Gonzaga are the dirt from Puertocitos or Mex 1 to Laguna Chapala, across and up 20 miles or so. This is 10 miles if you have a good 4x and misses a bunch of washboard. Puts you on the main road about 16 miles south of Alfonsina's. Why wouldn't you use it if you had another rig with you to buddy across with?

Once the dirt road is paved and becomes a pot hole mine field this little trail will be a welcome diversion into this area IMO.

Sharksbaja - 5-5-2008 at 12:24 PM

Well well well! Congrats on a fruitful trip!
Now that you guys have opened a route I would think a group of bigger trucks will have to widen that road. It's just not fair!:lol:

All kidding aside, how much effort would be necessary for full-size trucks? Do you have any plans to improve the track? What are the possibilities of actually opening it up to substantial vehicles?
Tou have put a lot of effort out. It would be cool if it became a regular route.

TMW - 5-5-2008 at 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gadget
YES, good news!

We need GPS coordinates so we can map it.

I didn't take any GPS coordinates mainly because I had key spots in my almanac that David had taken. Roy may have have taken some. The wash is only a couple of miles at most and we stayed next to the north side where the MCs went thru. I probably should have taken readings at the 2 or 3 worst places.

Gadget - 5-5-2008 at 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
Now that you guys have opened a route I would think a group of bigger trucks will have to widen that road. It's just not fair!:lol:

All kidding aside, how much effort would be necessary for full-size trucks? Do you have any plans to improve the track? What are the possibilities of actually opening it up to substantial vehicles?
Tou have put a lot of effort out. It would be cool if it became a regular route.

I think this will be a given, Tiburon :biggrin:

TMW - 5-5-2008 at 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
I take it this wouldnt have been too tough on an ATV, TW?

Right, an ATV would frankly be my coice of vehicle especially a 4x4 ATV.

TMW - 5-5-2008 at 12:32 PM

Quote:
TW, I believe it does lock both ends, but may be wrong. I fade out sometimes under the verbal stylings of the SQC.

Once the dirt road is paved and becomes a pot hole mine field this little trail will be a welcome diversion into this area IMO.

I believe what his Land Rover has is a traction control system that applies brakes to the spinning wheel. Thru the whole course he was trying a lot of different combos. The thing has way too many controls etc.

TMW - 5-5-2008 at 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja

There was at least 2 or 3 places that would need a lot of work to get a full size truck thru, mainly due to wheelbase length. Now maybe there would be a way to bypass them with less effort.

Gadget - 5-5-2008 at 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Quote:

I believe what his Land Rover has is a traction control system that applies brakes to the spinning wheel. Thru the whole course he was trying a lot of different combos. The thing has way too many controls etc.

Yep, thats right, I remember now. I agree that when something does go wrong he will be on a strap or trailer home. There will be no way to figure out what circuit went out on it.

I gotta hand it to Roy though, he floggs that thing way more than the original intent of the design. Baja will find a way to break anything if you are pushing hard enough.

Hook - 5-5-2008 at 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gadget Why wouldn't you use it if you had another rig with you to buddy across with?

Too many caveats in terms of the type of vehicles possible, time/effort to make the road practical, buddy system only, no trailers, etc.

Dont get me wrong.......it's fine as a challenging ride for serious riders.

But as a replacement for the existing options with pavement on the way? I think it will only be a novelty, not an alternative.

Gadget - 5-5-2008 at 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Quote:
Originally posted by Gadget Why wouldn't you use it if you had another rig with you to buddy across with?

Too many caveats in terms of the type of vehicles possible, time/effort to make the road practical, buddy system only, no trailers, etc.

Dont get me wrong.......it's fine as a challenging ride for serious riders.

But as a replacement for the existing options with pavement on the way? I think it will only be a novelty, not an alternative.

Yeah, well put.

Me, I like the novelty concept as much as possible within the scope of what and where I am trying to get on any given day.

Barry A. - 5-5-2008 at 01:03 PM

I can't wait to try it in my X-terra with rear locker and 12 inches of clearance. This IS exciting----------WELL DONE GUYS. :yes:

Sounds like you could come in from the west with no worries about that 45 degree grade as you enter (down hill) the wash-----going the other way is the true test, I infer. :O

Barry

Roberto - 5-5-2008 at 01:06 PM

Gadget, does GSB have a rear locker? It does have a winch, right? Does it get (and the locker, if it's there) get much use?

Roberto - 5-5-2008 at 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW

Tires? A/T types or mudders?

TMW - 5-5-2008 at 01:11 PM

Quote:
I can't wait to try it in my X-terra with rear locker and 12 inches of clearance. This IS exciting----------WELL DONE GUYS. :yes:

Sounds like you could come in from the west with no worries about that 45 degree grade as you enter (down hill) the wash-----going the other way is the true test, I infer. :O

Barry

The west to east is easier for going down the mtn and the hill into the wash. The wash would be just as bad either way.

TMW - 5-5-2008 at 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Roberto
Quote:
Originally posted by TW

Tires? A/T types or mudders?

He had Yokohama and I assumed they were stock with the vehicle. The tread was not radical or anything, less course than a BFG TA KO.

Barry A. - 5-5-2008 at 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Quote:

Barry

The west to east is easier for going down the mtn and the hill into the wash. The wash would be just as bad either way.

-------which means, of course, that it can, and probably will, change drastically after every tropical storm or hurricane. That is the challenge of "Baja" as far as I am concerned, and I love it. (maybe it will be LESS challenging after the next storm) :bounce:

barry

TMW - 5-5-2008 at 01:32 PM

This time next year I hope to have a short wheelbase vehicle, maybe a jeep or Toyota or something like that. Older model to beat up in Baja. Then I'll come back to this area and see what has changed. Berry your right the rains could change everything, maybe for the better or the worse.

This was a very fun trip for me and BJ. I gotta tell you that after we walked the wash Friday I didn't think there was a snowballs chance in hell that any of us would make it. I thought if Roy wants to try it, what the heck I'm there to help anyway I can. Even after he got out of the wash I really had doubts that he would make it up the mountain. BJ and I walked down Friday mourning and the bottom third is steep and lots of loose rock. I made Roy promise to put a marker ribbon on a tree where the trail comes out to the hwy if he made it. When we got around there and didn't see a ribbon I thought Roy and Richard were having real trouble getting out and BJ and I were trying to think of what we were going to do when we got back to the trail down the mountain. It's an easy drive to about half way down where there is a turn around spot. We were as happy to see them at the top as they were us I think, knowing everyone was OK. He had some problems getting up the bottom section of the mtn but it all ended OK.

Gadget - 5-5-2008 at 03:10 PM

Quote:
Gadget, does GSB have a rear locker? It does have a winch, right? Does it get (and the locker, if it's there) get much use?

Detroit Locker in back, Auburn Possi if front. The possi is as close to a locker as you can get for the front. Bump steer is pretty bad on hard packed dirt at slow speed.

Both units are super strong and problem free so far. The Detroit gets an overhaul every year, basically do to abuse from the air time. Landing while on the throttle, going through woops at speed and landing on the rear wheels unevenly is pretty hard on it.

Most guys run a spooled rearend in lighter trucks, but at 5900 lbs, GSB would be a pig on the pavement.

The winch is a Warn 9500i (high line speed). I have never used it on myself :no: , dragging 93 lbs around on the front bumper seems kinda stupid, but I sure haven't heard anyone I've helped with it complain.

I plan on using it more often for extractions and the like as it is way easier on the rig. I have cause allot of damage and expense on GSB yanking someone out of a ditch with a strap only because it's faster. Future extractees are going to have to be more patient, even in a race issue. Either that or hand me a blank check before I'll strap up.

[Edited on 5-5-2008 by Gadget]

XRPhlang - 5-5-2008 at 05:04 PM

WOW! I am totally impressed after seeing for myself the narrowness of the grade in places. You guys must have had a long ordeal to get thru the wash. When I couldn't see anyone from the top after coming in from the west at around 1pm, I figured you all had given up. You guys must have been way back at the beginning of the wash near where we camped still. Roy did you see my tracks starting from about half way up the grade? That's as far as I decided to risk it on my bike alone. I regret not having been part of the big accomplishment, but I really didn't feel good about leaving my truck and trailor unattended back at Coco's. You all merit a ton of bragging rights in my book. Thanks for letting me come along.

Roberto - 5-5-2008 at 05:07 PM

Don't know about the Auburn. The Detroit is not selectable, right? It engages/disengages automatically?

I'm close to pulling the trigger on an ARB for the rear on my rig.

sizeing up the approach

XRPhlang - 5-5-2008 at 05:38 PM

there should be a photo here.

Baja 5-08 045r.JPG - 48kB

La Turquesa

XRPhlang - 5-5-2008 at 06:03 PM

the wash & grade

Baja 5-08 049r.JPG - 44kB

La Turquesa

XRPhlang - 5-5-2008 at 06:11 PM

Sizeing up the 45 degree climb out.

Baja 5-08 050r.JPG - 47kB

David K - 5-5-2008 at 07:49 PM

Quote:
Quote:
I ask because someone else made a claim here on Nomad that sounded like they got through a couple years ago...

Must have missed that one. Who was that? Have a llink?

Desertbull posted this on the thread started by The squarecircle on 6-7-07, Off Road forum, La Turquesa Trek:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=25035

>>> posted on 7-3-2007 at 03:18 PM

Just back from Wisconsin...far-far away from Baja.

As stated throughout the thread, its not a new road...and it has been conquered by fullsize 4WD vehicles in the past few years...but it is NOT for the faint of heart or those that don't warrant off road body damage...

I especially love when the road between Puertocitos to Gonzaga gets bad...my FOX Racing Shox suspension works better...

Hot & miseable conditions? When do we leave? <<<

[Edited on 5-6-2008 by David K]

TMW - 5-5-2008 at 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by XRPhlang
WOW! I am totally impressed after seeing for myself the narrowness of the grade in places. You guys must have had a long ordeal to get thru the wash. When I couldn't see anyone from the top after coming in from the west at around 1pm, I figured you all had given up. You guys must have been way back at the beginning of the wash near where we camped still. Roy did you see my tracks starting from about half way up the grade? That's as far as I decided to risk it on my bike alone. I regret not having been part of the big accomplishment, but I really didn't feel good about leaving my truck and trailor unattended back at Coco's. You all merit a ton of bragging rights in my book. Thanks for letting me come along.

Hi Phil. BJ and I saw your MC tracks over my truck tires from when we went in on Friday morning. I could see two sets and we figured you had gone in and didn't see anyone down below and decided to go back out. It took us 8 hours from when we left camp, about an hour after you left for 9 hrs total, to reach the end of the wash and hill. Roy spent another hour airing his tires up etc before driving up the mountain. So when you got there we were still in the wash somewhere.

XRPhlang - 5-5-2008 at 08:47 PM

Tom, that's what I figured. You guys had to spend so much time in the wash getting thru. 9 hours of those circling flies is more than I could stand. Would love to go again with you guys. I felt honored to be included and especially hearing all the stories, really!

BAJACAT - 5-5-2008 at 09:09 PM

Good job,guys.I wish i was there,but unless i cut my RAM in half, i wouldn't been able to make this trip.My hat comes off to all participants.
This is the close it's i get to extreme 4wd.

Arroyo x.JPG - 47kB

Barry A. - 5-5-2008 at 09:40 PM

Cat---------that looks pretty extreme to me-------La Turquesa here you come. Let me know how your Ram does, then I might try it in my F-250 :lol:

The squarecircle - 5-6-2008 at 12:37 AM

Greetings All,

Ken Cooke ---- Yes Ken, I built a nice freeway for you Rubicon herders. There will be a toll station at the climb out! As for the rocks being large... we moved them all aside and cut down all the bushes, cactus and trees that could scratch your jeeps.

Gadget ---- We don't need no stinking GPS specs or maps to get thru. Just follow the yellow ribbons I put up for you and Ken!!! This LR 3 of mine is an open differential full time 4 wheel drive vehicle with a max. grd. clearence of 13" and a longish wheelbase. I wish I did have the optional rear locking unit then I would have at lest an honest 3 wheel drive rig. As crippled as my English Ford is ie. 6,000 lbs. dry weight, 42 gals. of fuel, large ARB Freezer Fridge (full), 2 spare tyres (86 lbs.each), 8 gals. water, too much food, heavy tool box and other sundry things that do not float .... it still did this Trek the hard way .... uphill and it did not break, get dented or leak! > Thank God, I have your phone # in case it needs to be strapped or trailered home.

Barry A ---- Your off-road Xterra would have an excellent shot at the uphill version ot this run. Stock vrs. stock, it is decidedly one of most capable buys right now. Down hill you have little to fear. >>> Now get it ready for all points S. of El Barril.

How can I effectively acknowledge all who have helped me here in completing this Trek and freely admit it would not have happened without the help of:

Mr. Richard Fisher (Daniel Boone)
Mr. Tom Wimberly (Hulk Hogan)
Mr. Bill Jarchow (Judge Alex)
Mr. Phill Lang (Marlon Brando)

THANK YOU for making this trip possible for me.

I do have some pictures somewhere in my puter, but they are lost or floating in cyberspace. Doesn't matter, I can't post anyway.

4465 registered members and only 2 other BajaNomads show up for this adventure? >>> Not to much interest here in 4X4 offroading IMHO.

Best Regards, sq.

[Edited on 5-7-2008 by The squarecircle]

David K - 5-6-2008 at 07:46 AM

Roy, email me the pics or bring your camera and cables over here... and I will be happy to get them online...

The next vacation we have is in July, starting with the El Rosario festival and then heading to Baja Sur where it is nice and warm the way we like it.

Los Corrales, here we come!

Barry A. - 5-6-2008 at 08:14 AM

You said:-------"4465 registered members and only 2 other BajaNomads show up for this adventure? >>> Not to much interest here in 4X4 offroading IMHO."---------

Squarecircle---------you sure know how to make us squirm with embarrassment, and your point it well taken, I am thinking. Believe me, it NOT the lack of interest, tho.

Thanks for the great feed-back------this was truly a great accomplishment, and I think all of us 4-wheelers realize it.

13" of clearance?? hmmmmmmmm, that is a lot, and you got me there by at least an inch on my "X". But thanks for the encouraging words, and it reinforces my belief that the "X" is/was a good choice.

Really looking forward to the vicarious thrill of seeing your pics. if you and David can get together.

You certainly got-r-done!!!! :yes:

Barry

David K - 5-6-2008 at 08:30 AM

Roy knows I would have gone IF I didn't have a job to do... Not all of us are retired! I mean, it seems to be Baja Angel's and my fault for getting Roy all worked up to get through La Turquesa after this trip: http://vivabaja.com/207

Seriously, Roy did good... he never gave up trying to get through and I am very proud of his efforts!!!

Barry A. - 5-6-2008 at 09:14 AM

David-----I AM retired, :smug: but Redding is a long way north of Baja (that's my excuse, and I am stickin too it). :rolleyes:

I had not seen that particular group of pics before------NICE !

Thank you. :)

barry

Hook - 5-6-2008 at 11:38 AM

Grover, what's the time limit on images on imageshack?

Gadget - 5-6-2008 at 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by The squarecircle
Greetings All,

Gadget ---- We don't need no stinking GPS specs or maps to get thru. Just follow the yellow ribbons I put up for you and Ken!!! This LR 3 of mine is an open differential full time 4 wheel drive vehicle with a max. grd. clearence of 13" and a longish wheelbase. I wish I did have the optional rear locking unit then I would have at lest an honest 3 wheel drive rig. As crippled as my English Ford is ie. 6,000 lbs. dry weight, 42 gals. of fuel, large ARB Freezer Fridge (full), 2 spare tyres (86 lbs.each), 8 gals. water, too much food, heavy tool box and other sundry things that do not float .... it still did this Trek the hard way .... uphill and it did not break, get dented, leak or break! > Thank God, I have your phone # in case it needs to be strapped or trailered home.

You know you want my handle, you got me beat by miles with that rig.

Yes call any time and the mule will get you out if need be.

Thanks for all you tried to do to get me there, I was good to go less a co-dog, who showed up, surferjim, a day late.

Roy gets the "Pitbull" award in my book for this one. :yes:

Sharksbaja - 5-6-2008 at 02:26 PM

Quote:

4465 registered members and only 2 other BajaNomads show up for this adventure? >>> Not to much interest here in 4X4 offroading IMHO

Ouch. Hey didn't you hear that guy once say "I live thru the Nomads". :lol:

Well there ya go.
Kudos amigo on your tenacity, your audacity and you smartassity! Job well done! That's a small crew fer sure but hey, ya dun a big thang!!:smug:

I nominate that new track there to be called: The Squarecircle Approach(TSA) ;D
That ought to confound em!:lol:

Methinks this next year will yield more thrill seekers and perhaps more money and less worry.. Cork

bancoduo - 5-6-2008 at 03:29 PM

Who's going to trust a 80yr old man with a bunch of yellow ribbons. :lol::lol::lol:

Gadget - 5-6-2008 at 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bancoduo
Who's going to trust a 80yr old man with a bunch of yellow ribbons. :lol::lol::lol:

I can't think of any way to respond delicately to your comment, other than to say that I would take Roy on his worst day over many on their best.

Are you included in those thoughts in some way duo?

BAJACAT - 5-6-2008 at 08:41 PM

Will I think he was kidding,didn't you see the three smilies at the end.

surfer jim - 5-6-2008 at 09:23 PM

Wanted to go but was busy this past weekend...got MARRIED today (Tuesday).....:P

Fatboy - 5-6-2008 at 09:23 PM

Quote:

4465 registered members and only 2 other BajaNomads show up for this adventure? >>> Not to much interest here in 4X4 offroading IMHO.

OUCH!!!

Like Barry A. I too live in Redding and I work therefore I could not drop what I was doing to drive 1500 miles just because some yahoo picks a date to do something I would love to do and be more than able to do to boot.

When I first visited that mine in the summer in '06 I saw that faint road in the hills to the west and it pulled at me to explore, but it was not to be on that trip.

I suggest you post some pictures and a decent trip report for us uninterested street type people. This is already one of the most popular threads in some time.

This comes from someone who was within spitting distance of Mission Santa Maria on our last trip with TWO sea kayaks strapped on the roof. So this sounds like a cakewalk!!!

Interested? Yes!

Now>>>>>>GO FIND THOSE PICTURES AND QUIT YOUR WHINING!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hook - 5-6-2008 at 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by surfer jim
Wanted to go but was busy this past weekend...got MARRIED today (Tuesday).....:P

Excellent!!!

La Turquesa/Alfonsina's honeymoon????

David K - 5-7-2008 at 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by surfer jim

Congratulations Jim... :o:bounce::wow::yes:;):bounce:

David K - 5-7-2008 at 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Fatboy
Quote:

OUCH!!!

Like Barry A. I too live in Redding and I work therefore I could not drop what I was doing to drive 1500 miles just because some yahoo picks a date to do something I would love to do and be more than able to do to boot.

When I first visited that mine in the summer in '06 I saw that faint road in the hills to the west and it pulled at me to explore, but it was not to be on that trip.

I suggest you post some pictures and a decent trip report for us uninterested street type people. This is already one of the most popular threads in some time.

This comes from someone who was within spitting distance of Mission Santa Maria on our last trip with TWO sea kayaks strapped on the roof. So this sounds like a cakewalk!!!

Interested? Yes!

Now>>>>>>GO FIND THOSE PICTURES AND QUIT YOUR WHINING!!!!!!!!!!!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Hi Fatboy,

Roy (The squarecircle) called me yesterday and we talked for a long time about the trip and his route, struggles, etc.

Let me say that if it was anyone else but the squarecircle, they would have given up!

Roy's amigo Richard was quite the scout criss-crossing the arroyo valley searching for routes. In the middle they actually found some of the original bladed road that had not washed out (between the mine and the grade bottom).

Roy has photos and I will help him get them online for us to see... There is a Baja Pits Baja 500 team meeting this Saturday at Carlos' shop where we may hook up with Roy.

Sounded like the trail they made stayed close to the motorcycle route (as mentioned by Kacey Smith in her GPS Guide) along the right side (north side) of the valley/ arroyo. The most difficult part was the climb up the grade, mostly the lower half as the base was very loose, slippery rock making traction and steering difficult.

Roy said going down would be pretty easy... but the climb up was quite an effort. Shortly after reaching the top of the grade, TW and his friend arrived coming in from Hwy. 1 after driving around via Coco's and Chapala.

Coco's Corner was closed and locked up... apparently while Coco recovers from his surgery...

Okay, now you Baja thrill seekers are a bit more up to date!

Stand by for photos!

[Edited on 5-7-2008 by David K]

Hook - 5-7-2008 at 11:42 AM

Maybe it's just me, but I would feel more uncomfortable going DOWN a slippery, 45 degree slope than going UP one.

Oh sure, you're assured of getting to the bottom of the grade, going down. :o

TMW - 5-7-2008 at 12:48 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Coco's Corner was closed and locked up... apparently while Coco recovers from his surgery...

[Edited on 5-7-2008 by David K]

When we came out from the wash we saw several people at Coco's inside the compound around the table. We saw a white chevy Surburban, CA plate on the rear and no plate on the front, with a shredded left rear tire and no wheel on the left front. We stopped and one of the men walked out from the compound yard to the left where cars enter. He was Mexican and I asked about Coco's and he said Coco was not there, that he was still recouperating in GN. He didn't seem too friendly so we left. We looked for a plate number but it was blocked by an ice chest on a carrier rack.

About a mile before we got to hwy1 a Ford pickup came toward us and I was thinking maybe this was someone with the group at Coco's and was returning with the wheel for the chevy. I told Bill to get the license number. It was CA with a number followed by 3 letters and 3 numbers. In other words a car plate not a PU plate. Maybe nothing to it and maybe they knew Coco or maybe just hanging out of the sun until their buddy gets back. Just seem interesting to me.

David K - 5-7-2008 at 05:19 PM

Thanks for clearing that up Tom... I was just typing what Roy said on the phone...

By the way, Roy is on his way here right now to try and get his photos loaded onto Nomad... So stand by gang!

Fatboy - 5-7-2008 at 06:56 PM

Thanks David K. I would really like details, lots of details and PICTURES too!!!!

SQ....
I fixed your sentence for ya.... ;D

Quote:

4465 registered members and only 2 other BajaNomads have seen pictures for this adventure? >>> WAY too much interest here in 4X4 offroading IMHO.

ROY'S PHOTOS

David K - 5-7-2008 at 07:47 PM

TW, BJ, and Richard are cheering Roy on at the steep grade that climbs out of the arroyo valley.

scan0003r.JPG - 42kB

David K - 5-7-2008 at 07:48 PM

The Land Rover is ready!!!

scan0007r.JPG - 39kB

David K - 5-7-2008 at 07:50 PM

Several efforts to be the first four wheeled vehicle to make the climb were made!

scan0006r.JPG - 35kB

David K - 5-7-2008 at 07:51 PM

"Come on Roy, you can do it "(they all yelled)!!!

scan0001r.JPG - 34kB

David K - 5-7-2008 at 07:54 PM

Roy's Land Rover, 'Winston' climbs up the Turquesa Grade... The XR Ride Up has been conquered by an LR-3!

scan0002r.JPG - 35kB

David K - 5-7-2008 at 07:55 PM

'The squarecircle' stands in front of the awesome English Ford!

scan0004r.JPG - 35kB

David K - 5-7-2008 at 07:58 PM

TW and BJ walk back to TW's truck which was about 1/3 of the way toward's the grade from the turquoise mine on the newly re-opened 'La Turquesa Road'!

scan0005r.JPG - 33kB

David K - 5-7-2008 at 08:01 PM

Heading up the long Turquesa grade over marble slippery, sharp stones... Very tough on tires Roy says... The squarecircle uses 33" Nitto Grabbers on his Land Rover.

scan0008r.JPG - 32kB

David K - 5-7-2008 at 08:03 PM

The climb is no easy task, as the sun slips behind the mountain... The bottom half was pretty bad... much better was the upper half...

scan0009r.JPG - 34kB

David K - 5-7-2008 at 08:07 PM

The top of the grade is finally reached!

Soon after finishing their celebration beer, TW and his friend BJ arrived, having driven the long way around, via Coco's, Chapala, and Hwy. 1 at Km. 213 1/2... to see if Roy and Richard made it to the top of the grade.

scan0010r.JPG - 31kB

David K - 5-7-2008 at 08:11 PM

The 4.6 miles from the top of the grade to Hwy. 1 is pretty easy after climbing the grade!

Winston the Land Rover with Roy and Richard must be the FIRST four wheeled vehicle to climb UP the La Turquesa Grade (aka Kacey's XR Ride or Coco's Shortcut) since the road washed out who knows how long ago!

scan0011r.JPG - 41kB

David K - 5-7-2008 at 08:12 PM

The route on the Baja Topo Atlas

La Turquesa-r.JPG - 41kB

David K - 5-7-2008 at 08:18 PM

On the AAA map, here is the location of the La Turquesa Road... It cuts 20 miles off the drive from Hwy. 1 to Gonzaga Bay... but it may be awhile before it is a quicker drive!

Thanks Roy for driving up here to get the photos onto Nomad so quickly!:biggrin:

La Turquesa Roadr.JPG - 46kB

Neal Johns - 5-7-2008 at 10:18 PM

Hey Old Roy,
You did good! Sorry I was several hundred miles away in Utah or I would have been moving rocks for you.

Thanks for helping with the pics, DK.
Young Neal :biggrin:

Gadget - 5-7-2008 at 10:27 PM

Good job you two. See ya both Saturday.

David K - 5-8-2008 at 07:22 AM

You are welcome...

Roy really is a good Nomad... Organizing and motivating for this project... then driving nearly 50 miles to my house last night to get the photos online ASAP!

Roy had over 40 photos, and I picked the ones that best showed the road being conquered... I may get more on Nomad from is trip... later!

Perhaps see you Saturday Will? Not sure about El Cajon at 10 am, but we may get there not long after.

TMW - 5-9-2008 at 07:23 AM

I just did a calculation of how long the wash is from the green pools to where the hill is coming out of the wash and it's 2 miles. From where we camped it was maybe 1.5 miles. Below is a web site to calculate distance using longitude and latitude.

http://www.airaya.com/support/ai108_latlong.asp

David K - 5-9-2008 at 07:32 AM

That's a great site Tom... Thanks!!

Ken Cooke - 5-10-2008 at 07:03 AM

This looks like a blast...I know of several Rubicons that are itching for a short trek into Baja this summer. Gas prices nearly half of the U.S., the desert too hot for any serious fun...Hmmm. San Felipe & La Turquesa in July anyone???

David K - 5-10-2008 at 08:47 AM

If there is a El Rosario Festival in July again this year, that's the place to start... then we are heading to the warm Sea of Cortez (and not that cold Pacific 7 Sisters place we went last July)!:lol:

Roy wants to go to Los Corrales and beyond (south of El Barril) to the 28º parallel area with some serious off road vehicles...

TMW - 3-2-2011 at 09:04 AM

Bump

Ken Cooke - 3-2-2011 at 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Bump

So, the thread is being resurrected?

David K - 3-2-2011 at 11:29 PM

To refresh your memory perhaps?:o

TMW - 3-3-2011 at 10:53 AM

Ken I'm trying to get you interested in it again. Remember the saying "out of sight out of mind". I'm going to check out parts of it next Thursday and Friday. If I can get past the first road block S section I think my Tacoma could make it. Maybe an Ad deal with Toyota. "Toughest truck in the world, it beats the Baja from mining fields and arroyos to rock covered mountains". Just a thought. They might not buy it since my truck is a 2004. But DKs could be passed as a new one.

David K - 3-3-2011 at 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Ken I'm trying to get you interested in it again. Remember the saying "out of sight out of mind". I'm going to check out parts of it next Thursday and Friday. If I can get past the first road block S section I think my Tacoma could make it. Maybe an Ad deal with Toyota. "Toughest truck in the world, it beats the Baja from mining fields and arroyos to rock covered mountains". Just a thought. They might not buy it since my truck is a 2004. But DKs could be passed as a new one.

Sounds great Tom... and my truck is equally fun in the snow, too! (last Saturday near Pine Valley)...

Ken Cooke - 3-3-2011 at 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW

Don't worry, amigo. I'm very interested in this route. It would be great if this route could be traveled by 4 wheel vehicles from the Gonzaga vicinity to Hwy 1 and back. I want to take up any of the Baja Grande participants in traveling this route with me. Some may stay at the beach that day, but the ones who are up for some decent rock crawling and trail scouting will have a wonderful time!

Trail Scouting for La Turquesa Trail in Nov. 2007

Visiting at the La Turquesa Mine with friends

BAJACAT - 5-23-2011 at 08:34 PM

bump

TMW - 5-24-2011 at 11:04 AM

Jose are you going to try it? When the squarecircle did it he walked it first from the mine area to the bottom of the hill where it gets out of the wash and then marked it with ribbons back to the mine. We followed mostly the motorcycle path except in a few locations. It's two miles and stays on the north side of the arroyo. There are two bad places, the first is right as you leave the mine area and is an S shaped turn. You would need to find a way around because only a short wheelbase vehicle can make it like a Jeep, 4 runner or Xterra and even them it's tricky. I do think if we could get a group together like the dirty 8 we could find a way for the full size vehicles to get thru. Might take a little road building.

Ken Cooke - 5-24-2011 at 06:42 PM

View from the La Turquesa Mine sites.

Very rugged conditions

View of the massive arroyo that lies east of the trail down the mountainside

TMW - 5-25-2011 at 09:36 AM

It's been three years since Roy made it thru. It would be interesting to see how much if any the wash has changed.

Ken Cooke - 5-25-2011 at 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
It's been three years since Roy made it thru. It would be interesting to see how much if any the wash has changed.

The next time you guys make it through, please record GPS waypoints as you travel through. That way, I can find my way from Gonzaga to Hwy 1.

BAJACAT - 5-25-2011 at 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Jose are you going to try it? When the squarecircle did it he walked it first from the mine area to the bottom of the hill where it gets out of the wash and then marked it with ribbons back to the mine. We followed mostly the motorcycle path except in a few locations. It's two miles and stays on the north side of the arroyo. There are two bad places, the first is right as you leave the mine area and is an S shaped turn. You would need to find a way around because only a short wheelbase vehicle can make it like a Jeep, 4 runner or Xterra and even them it's tricky. I do think if we could get a group together like the dirty 8 we could find a way for the full size vehicles to get thru. Might take a little road building.
TW, Im just going to the pools and thats it..Maybe we can make that in a mission haunt type trip ..the other truck is afull size too, so I don't think so, mayber I can do it on the 4runner(1990 4x4), that I bought, it's not Baja ready jet, it has street tires I got it on Craigs list..maybe it will be ready for the next trip.

Ken Cooke - 5-25-2011 at 07:45 PM

Jose - Enjoy the pools, but don't destroy your vehicle trying to find the other end of the arroyo to reach Hwy 1. The route is extremely rugged, and you can damage tires and drivetrain components with the rocky outcroppings that you will encounter in this canyon.

Trying to find the other side of the Canyon

BAJACAT - 5-25-2011 at 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Jose - Enjoy the pools, but don't destroy your vehicle trying to find the other end of the arroyo to reach Hwy 1. The route is extremely rugged, and you can damage tires and drivetrain components with the rocky outcroppings that you will encounter in this canyon.

Trying to find the other side of the Canyon

Thanks Ken,Im just driving to the pools thats it..thanks for the advise..

David K - 1-13-2013 at 11:01 PM

A Nomad asked about the road to the La Turquesa Canyon (green pools. turquoise mine, old mine grade up to Hwy. 1 by El Pedregoso boulder mountain... Since Roy 'The Squarecircle' is the first documented to drive a four wheel drive Land Rover all the way across from Hwy. 5 to Hwy. 1 here (in recent history), it seemed like a good time to bump this thread up for some good old Baja off roading adventure.

More on the Turquoise Mine here: http://vivabaja.com/wayno

Photo I took at the mine in 1975:

1970 map

The area on topo map

From Space:

David K - 1-14-2013 at 04:00 PM

North at top, unless otherwise noted...

Looking South:

Looking west:

Looking at side of grade (north-west):

Baja Grande 2007

Ken Cooke - 1-14-2013 at 06:54 PM

My crew traveling the Turquoise Mine Road.:bounce:

BajaWarrior - 1-14-2013 at 08:42 PM

What a coincedence you guys brought this old post up.
We were just at La Turquesa between Christmas and New Years.

My wife Chris and I left our Beach House in Playa Hermosa/Bahia Santa Maria early in the morning and traveled to Rancho Grande/Gonzaga Bay which is 73 miles door to door for us.

We parked at Rancho Grande and offloaded the ATV's and headed South. We found the turnoff to the mine and springs and headed up the canyon. We only got as far as the mine but searched for a road in the riverbed but just like Matomi Canyon, it had been washed out pretty good from the summer rains. I didn't know there was a road that goes to Highway 1 but now it all makes sense.

Also, it was freezing that day so we made this a pretty quick stop. Next we headed down to see Coco, and as usual there was a lot of activity. At this point we were really cold and knew we had 20 miles North into the wind to make it back to the truck. We literally raced one another back to Rancho Grande on the dirt highway.

The paved highway was in great shape but believe it or not, we're already seeing potholes on sections that were paved less than two years ago. Only three miles remain unpaved to Gonzaga Bay. The army had the usual inspection, both ways, and we handed them a bunch of candy canes we had left over from Christmas.

That's about it, except for the extreme cold, which got even colder at any speed on our ATV's, it was a great side trip. We mad it back to our house in an hour and 40 minutes door to door.

[Edited on 1-15-2013 by BajaWarrior]

TMW - 1-15-2013 at 04:55 PM

The road in the wash has been gone for several years. The only trail is from motorcycles passing thru. When the Squarecircle went thru in his SUV we walked it the day before to where it went out of the wash and up the mtn then he marked the trail he was to take. It's about 2 miles in the wash and there were two really hard spots and a couple of difficult spots but he got thru with no damage to his SUV. After getting out of the wash there is a considerable amount of rocks to get over or around at the bottom of the mtn. An ATV would not have any problems getting thru and it would be a fun trip. I don't recall the actual distance up the mtn, maybe a mile, but I think it is 4 to 5 miles to the highway from the top. A short wheelbase is the key to getting thru as you have to navigate around some large rocks.

I should add that the rains during the last several years probably have changed everything. Time to check it out again.

[Edited on 1-15-2013 by TW]

David K - 1-15-2013 at 06:54 PM

Chuck, Tom, or anyone: Did you get the mileage from the La Turquesa road to Coco's Corner or the Punta Final south road?

BajaWarrior - 1-16-2013 at 05:18 AM

Quote:
Chuck, Tom, or anyone: Did you get the mileage from the La Turquesa road to Coco's Corner or the Punta Final south road?

11 miles David from Rancho Grande.

The cutoff for La Turquesa is in a "vado" and literally the only tracks to the West along the "highway".

Tacodawgtim - 1-16-2013 at 06:41 AM

I am getting ready to head back to San Felipe in a couple weeks. Ill be there for a couple months. Ill definitely have to look into the road, or trail. Sounds like a ride for a jeep or Toyota, luckily I'll have both down there. Ill try to send back more pictures. Just need to find another vehicle to go. I know the way down is no problem it's just once you turn off road.

TMW - 1-16-2013 at 10:45 AM

Quote:

It's 7.5 miles from the mine road turnoff to Cocos.

David K - 1-16-2013 at 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Quote:

It's 7.5 miles from the mine road turnoff to Cocos.

:light:

Eureka, I found my mileage notes from 2011 and the distance to Coco's Corner is exactly the same as TW's. However, the distance to Rancho Grande/ Gonzaga Pemex is more than Chuck's...?

Total (and partial) mileages from San Luis Gonzaga

00.0 (0.0) Rancho Grande Store, Gonzaga (across from Pemex)
01.2 (1.2) Campo Beluga and El Sacrificio road
04.9 (3.7) Arroyo Santa Maria
07.2 (2.3) Las Palmitas/Santa Maria Canyon road
09.7 (2.5) Punta Final road
14.6 (4.9) La Turquesa road
18.4 (3.8) Las Arrastras road
22.1 (3.7) Coco's Corner
34.8 (12.7) Hwy. 1, Laguna Chapala

TMW - 1-16-2013 at 03:57 PM

If a usable road was built thru there one would save a lot of time to Gonzaga instead of going around by Cocos. Maybe the new paved hwy will go that way. Wouldn't that be interesting.

FYI DK I got the milage from your road log. Ha Ha

Pages:  1  2