Pages:  1    3

BajaWarrior - 1-16-2013 at 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Chuck, Tom, or anyone: Did you get the mileage from the La Turquesa road to Coco's Corner or the Punta Final south road?

It's 7.5 miles from the mine road turnoff to Cocos.

:light:

Eureka, I found my mileage notes from 2011 and the distance to Coco's Corner is exactly the same as TW's. However, the distance to Rancho Grande/ Gonzaga Pemex is more than Chuck's...?

Total (and partial) mileages from San Luis Gonzaga

00.0 (0.0) Rancho Grande Store, Gonzaga (across from Pemex)
01.2 (1.2) Campo Beluga and El Sacrificio road
04.9 (3.7) Arroyo Santa Maria
07.2 (2.3) Las Palmitas/Santa Maria Canyon road
09.7 (2.5) Punta Final road
14.6 (4.9) La Turquesa road
18.4 (3.8) Las Arrastras road
22.1 (3.7) Coco's Corner
34.8 (12.7) Hwy. 1, Laguna Chapala

Allright, you got me. I merely thought it said 11 miles on my wife's ATV odometer, bad memory probably...

David K - 1-16-2013 at 06:19 PM

Tom, no fair if I check my odometer against yours, if it wasn't yours, but was mine? LOL

Chuck, it's all good! It is the only road to the west between the Punta Final junction and Las Arrastras... and you can see the vado in the road where the Turquesa trail leads off. Thank you!

la turquesa

4x4abc - 5-10-2014 at 08:15 PM

cool trail!

Drove it for the first time about 1992 (Mercedes 300GD 4x4). Finding a path through the wash was annoying but not difficult.
Guided some friends a few weeks ago again - this time it was like a freeway. Well, kind of. Took about 3 hours for the 2 miles in the wash.

Thanks for the ribbons! Now even a blind driver can find the trail.

The short grade is about 30 degrees - not 45 as posted earlier. 45 degrees (100% grade) on dirt would not be possible to drive.

The first section after the grade is pretty rocky. No signs of recent truck travel - bikes only

Here is the latest GPS record: http://rubicon-trail.com/Rubicon.Trail.GPS/la.turquesa.GPX

DSC_3290-trail-marker-bns.jpg - 44kB

Ken Cooke - 5-10-2014 at 08:50 PM

For reference, a 30 degree sidehill section constitutes either a 'moderate' or 'difficult' 4WD trail according to the Mile High Jeep Club.

link:
http://www.mhjc.org/page26.html

4x4abc - 5-10-2014 at 09:07 PM

Ken,
it's a grade not a sidehill. A 30+ degree grade is a "9" (difficult) on their list. It sure ain't easy!

Barry A. - 5-10-2014 at 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 4x4abc
Ken,
it's a grade not a sidehill. A 30+ degree grade is a "9" (difficult) on their list. It sure ain't easy!

For comparison, I think I remember that State highway grades are max. 6% in most cases, with an 8% max. in extremely rare cases.

Barry

Ken Cooke - 5-10-2014 at 10:13 PM

Quote:
Ken,

The Colorado Jeep Club probably don't encounter grades of this intensity on their trails. I encountered a very steep section of the Summit trail traveling up to the Parque Constitucion - all you could see was your hood and blue sky, a rocky wall to your left, and a cliff/drop off to your right. I'll probably never forget the North Summit for this reason. :yes:

David K - 5-10-2014 at 11:59 PM

Of interest, I just heard from a 'Baja brother' that the La Turquesa Grade, (which looked like an old mine road to me), might actually have been built by Fred Hampe, the foreman of Rancho Santa Ynez, years ago (he built the Mission Santa María road starting in the late 1950's)!

The original idea was to connect Santa Ynez with Punta Final (Gonzaga) which was owned by the same lady who owned Santa Ynez (Josefina Zunigo). Two miles east, beyond the mission, at the edge of a deep canyon, that road project was abandoned due to impossible terrain for the equipment they had. The highway was completed, reducing the travel time going the long way around to Gonzaga (via Calamajué Canyon first, then the new Chapala to Puerto Calamajué road after 1983). Josefina had asked the president of Mexico to build the highway to Gonzaga via Santa María. She got a paved 3/4 mile long driveway and paved airstrip.

The La Turquesa Canyon road would be a great short cut to Gonzaga from Santa Ynez. However, flash floods must have really done a number on the 1-2 miles or so from the bottom of the grade to the turquoise mine. It wouldn't surprise me if Fred Hampe did make this short cut, after all!

David K - 5-11-2014 at 12:04 AM

Quote:
cool trail!

Drove it for the first time about 1992 (Mercedes 300GD 4x4). Finding a path through the wash was annoying but not difficult.
Guided some friends a few weeks ago again - this time it was like a freeway. Well, kind of. Took about 3 hours for the 2 miles in the wash.

Thanks for the ribbons! Now even a blind driver can find the trail.

The short grade is about 30 degrees - not 45 as posted earlier. 45 degrees (100% grade) on dirt would not be possible to drive.

The first section after the grade is pretty rocky. No signs of recent truck travel - bikes only

Here is the latest GPS record: http://rubicon-trail.com/Rubicon.Trail.GPS/la.turquesa.GPX

Hi Harald,
Can you fix that link? I would enjoy seeing the track map. Do you have a mileage from the mine to the bottom of the grade?

[Edited on 5-11-2014 by David K]

4x4abc - 5-11-2014 at 12:59 AM

David,

link works just fine (tell your computer to save that link)
http://baja101.com/Baja-GPS/la.turquesa.gpx
http://baja101.com/Baja-GPS/la.turquesa.kmz

I recorded 1.8 miles from the mine to the grade

la turquesa wash time.png - 35kB

4x4abc - 5-11-2014 at 01:01 AM

distance from bottom of grade to the highway is 5.6 miles

la turquesa grade time.png - 28kB

4x4abc - 5-11-2014 at 01:17 AM

and for all you Google Earth fans - close to the road connecting to the highway is an abandoned airstrip.
No surprise, as most mines in Baja have an airstrip.

airport-mesa-turquesa.jpg - 50kB

save the planet - shoot yourself

4x4abc - 5-11-2014 at 01:38 AM

for the environmentally sensitive among you - no rocks have been moved, no ramps have been built,no spinning tires scared the ground. However, some of the bushes were in for a little pruning. They told us that they felt so much better about themselves now.

for the car lovers among you - no tires have been damaged, no parts failed, nothing was broken. However, some of the unpruned bushes (jealous bastards!) attacked our paint jobs.

since nobody cares about humans any more, I say it anyway: we had a great time, sufficient food and free flowing beer. Yes, we drank and drove. It was good, man!

clipping.jpg - 49kB

tripledigitken - 5-11-2014 at 06:42 AM

Harald,

What type of vehicles successfully made the trek with you?

Garmin BaseCamp

4x4abc - 5-11-2014 at 07:17 AM

highly recommend Garmin BaseCamp to get more out of your gdb or gpx files - and it's free!
http://www.garmin.com/en-US/shop/downloads/basecamp

You can crunch numbers when back at home like where you stopped, how fast you were going in which spot.

My recorded track shows me that I drove the steep grade at about 1.5 mph and that it is roughly 30 feet high.

turquesa-grade.jpg - 49kB

4x4abc - 5-11-2014 at 07:26 AM

vehicles in group:
Jeep Wrangler TJ, 33" tires, ARB front and rear
Nissan pickup (no clue which model), 33" tires, rear locker only
Mercedes G500, 295/75R16, 3 diff locks

[Edited on 5-11-2014 by 4x4abc]

group.jpg - 49kB

grade

4x4abc - 5-11-2014 at 07:44 AM

the following image shows the steepness of the grade pretty well - it is STEEP!

grade.jpg - 43kB

Highschool trig

durrelllrobert - 5-11-2014 at 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Quote:
Ken,

For comparison, I think I remember that State highway grades are max. 6% in most cases, with an 8% max. in extremely rare cases.

Barry

When the highway sign states "6% grade next mile" the change in altitude is 552 ft (5280 ft x Sin 6 degrees or .10453). When the sign says 8% grade next mile the change in altitude is 735 ft.

For a 100 ft long 30 degree grade the change in altitude is 50 feet (100 ft x Sin 30 degrees or .5000)

David K - 5-11-2014 at 09:39 AM

Thank you Harald... The links open up a page full of computer text when I click on it, and that is a first for me. I appreciate the GE track... I have been from Hwy. 1 to the top of the grade, then walked about 1/3 of the way down it. I have also been to the green pools and hiked to the turquoise mine (in 1975) as I did not see that the road was on the big flat rock from the green pools.

I hope Roy (The Squarecircle) sees this!

TMW - 5-11-2014 at 09:47 AM

Ken, you and your jeep friends should give La Turquesa a try.

4x4abc - 5-11-2014 at 10:16 AM

David,

on my Mac I would hold down the control key before clicking on the link (if no download window would open) - then I would chose "Save Link As..." to save the file to my computer.
Don't know what you would do on your dinosaur Windows machine.

control.jpg - 49kB

4x4abc - 5-11-2014 at 10:40 AM

the grade is nasty. It has a slight right hand side slope. With too much gas and only traction control (even though LR-3 traction control is quite good) I see future roll overs on ascent.

Originally we had planned a downhill excursion to minimize damage to the grade - but things worked out differently that day (in Baja it's very likely that the unexpected happens).
The G500 walked straight up without a spec of dust.
The Nissan needed a second run, kicking up some dust (remember, it has no front locker and no traction control)
The TJ walked almost as uneventful as the G500.

All 3 drivers are seasoned (40+ years) Rubicon veterans. 2 live in cabins on the trail. For us a little dirt hill like this isn't worth much fuss.

Here is the veteran tip: On steep inclines the CG of the truck changes dramatically (the front carries almost no more weight). To even out traction, the rear tires get 14 psi (33' to 35" tires), the front gets 5-7 psi. No bead locks needed. Bead locks are for bad drivers.

With more traffic I see the grade completely destroyed in a couple of years by too much gas and too much air (too much air not only in the tires).

soft-tire.jpg - 47kB

David K - 5-11-2014 at 07:44 PM

Thank you Harald.

Ken Cooke - 5-11-2014 at 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Ken, you and your jeep friends should give La Turquesa a try.

I would really like the challenge! My new set of BFG KM2 Mud-Terrains would also like the challenge!:bounce:

David K - 11-19-2015 at 12:13 AM

Bump for turquoise discussion.

4x4abc - 11-19-2015 at 12:39 AM

one of the easiest drive in Baja - go!

bajatrailrider - 11-19-2015 at 04:46 PM

I have been up it on dirt bike 3 times.Nasty is the word,Dirt bikers call it.Fred's Tractor trail.The hardest part,first hill climb out of wash.

4x4abc - 11-19-2015 at 05:39 PM

of course you could go downhill

if you must go uphill (4x4)
low range
both lockers
front 5 psi
rear 8 psi
walk in the park

if you don't have lockers, go downhill
https://carlosnpainter.smugmug.com/Events/Manly-Men-Baja-201...

Pappy Jon - 11-20-2015 at 08:40 PM

Just FYI. The construction has messed up the entrance to the canyon. There is a bypass, but 4x4 is required, and I needed the ARB locker to get up. It's steep and loose.

Ken Cooke - 11-21-2015 at 10:12 AM

How difficult is it to find your way towards the Turquoise springs from the Hwy 1 region? Traveling west (uphill) towards the grade, I could see the route, but couldn't find the road to get there.

Baja Grande 2007 drove upstream from the Gonzaga Bay area where we had been camping the night before. It was a good time!

[Edited on 11-21-2015 by Ken Cooke]

TMW - 11-21-2015 at 11:00 AM

"How difficult is it to find your way towards the Turquoise springs from the Hwy 1 region?"

The turn off for the Turquesa mine road is at Hwy 1 KM213/214. There is a bunch of trees there. Look for a road going east. It's about 4 miles to the top of the mountain where it starts down to the wash. About another mile +/- to wash and 2 miles to mine.

Ken Cooke - 11-21-2015 at 11:18 AM

I tried 2x to find the route past the onyx springs up towards the hill. You can easily see the switchbacks going down the steep hillside, but with bushes everywhere, it was a challenge maneuvering past the mining area near the springs.

TMW - 11-21-2015 at 11:24 AM

When Roy did it we walked the route the day before he did it. We walked to the run out of the wash then on our way back Roy and Richard marked it with ribbons. He followed the motorcycle route mostly and it stayed near the north side of the wash most of the time as I recall. Once out of the wash the road is obvious, just have to move a few rocks.

TMW - 11-21-2015 at 11:26 AM

The last time I was at the mine was April 2014. The road into the wash was at the mine.

Ken Cooke - 11-21-2015 at 12:47 PM

I just downloaded the waypoints that appear near the beginning of this thread.

David K - 11-21-2015 at 01:13 PM

Ken, use the km post. It is at a low spot and a gravel pit was by it. This is just south of the boulder mountain El Pedregoso on Hwy. 1. See http://vivabaja.com/207

PaulW - 11-21-2015 at 05:22 PM

I forgot about this thread
But if someone wants to look on Google earth the road is mostly visible. The east start is pretty close to 20 34.365, -114 22.012. Latest report is the new highway has erased the beginning and requires going over a big bank to get to the road.
The west end is at Hwy1 KM213.5 at 29 31.486, -114 30.185.
And if you have a decent background map for your GPS the road will be shown

David K - 11-21-2015 at 05:31 PM

Thanks Paul. It is sad that paved roads destroy so much of what once was. The other barrier is the fence they add on both sides with no openings for existing roads. They eventually get openened as we have seen north of San Felipe.

rts551 - 11-21-2015 at 06:29 PM

Damn Mexicans. Paving their roads. And then fencing them off to keep critters on privates land.... what is the world coming to.

4x4abc - 11-21-2015 at 10:24 PM

Here is the April 2014 GPS record: http://rubicon-trail.com/Rubicon.Trail.GPS/la.turquesa.GPX

4x4abc - 11-21-2015 at 10:32 PM

does anyone have an idea what the airstrip at 29°32'29.85"N, 114°27'23.47"W was/is all about?

Fernweh - 11-22-2015 at 07:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
does anyone have an idea what the airstrip at 29°32'29.85"N, 114°27'23.47"W was/is all about?

Still on Google Earth over there?

David K - 11-22-2015 at 08:44 AM

Looks like one of the many runways around central Baja. They are used until the army ditches them.

TMW - 11-22-2015 at 09:50 AM

It's not listed in my 1969 Airports of Baja California by Arnold Senterfitt. I think it may have been built for use when the hwy was paved or used by the mine owner/operators. If they would build a road up the mountain they wouldn't have any problem building an airstrip.

PaulW - 11-22-2015 at 10:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Thanks Paul. It is sad that paved roads destroy so much of what once was. The other barrier is the fence they add on both sides with no openings for existing roads. They eventually get opened as we have seen north of San Felipe.

= =
Bring your wire cutters which will be needed pretty soon. The fence does not extend to that place yet.

David K - 11-22-2015 at 04:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
It's not listed in my 1969 Airports of Baja California by Arnold Senterfitt. I think it may have been built for use when the hwy was paved or used by the mine owner/operators. If they would build a road up the mountain they wouldn't have any problem building an airstrip.

It's actually a new strip... wasn't there that long ago. There are a few north of El Marmol and Agua Dulce, as well... They have to do with "agricultural product distribution", LOL.

Debra - 11-22-2015 at 05:04 PM

Hey David would it be okay if an old lady with a really old 4Runner tagged along?

David K - 11-22-2015 at 05:08 PM

Hi Debra, traveled where? You know Baja as well as anyone here!
I just got home from spending a few days with Sarah (now 25) and Savannah (now 5)! They are great... Big difference from when she was 11 on our Baja trips in the van!

steekers - 1-2-2017 at 12:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Thanks Paul. It is sad that paved roads destroy so much of what once was. The other barrier is the fence they add on both sides with no openings for existing roads. They eventually get openened as we have seen north of San Felipe.

I guess my friend and I need to do this route by motorcycle before it gets trashed by the 4-wheeler crowd. I kind of like that the paved road covers up the entrance. Sorry for sounding too selfish. I used to make the run from Puertecitos to Gonzaga on the old rocky road and loved the minimal traffic.

TMW - 1-2-2017 at 01:30 PM

When Roy and I did the NWT in early Dec. we stopped at the bridge that crosses the arroyo and road that went back to the mine. It's still accessible now but when the Hwy is finished they will have a fence up blocking access.

steekers - 1-2-2017 at 01:35 PM

When Roy and I did the NWT in early Dec. we stopped at the bridge that crosses the arroyo and road that went back to the mine. It's still accessible now but when the Hwy is finished they will have a fence up blocking access.

Thanks TMW...got any pics of that bridge overpass?

Ken Cooke - 1-2-2017 at 09:05 PM

When the Hwy is finished they will have a fence up blocking access.

Why would they do that:?::fire:

4x4abc - 1-3-2017 at 11:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
When the Hwy is finished they will have a fence up blocking access.

Why would they do that:?::fire:

Mexico copies everything the US does. So there has to be a fence long the freeway. whether you need it or not.

Agricultural inspection between Nevada and California? OK, we get the idea.
Agricultural inspection between Baja California and Baja California Sur (in Guerrerro Negro)? Well.....

TMW - 1-3-2017 at 11:56 AM

In many places the fence has been cut for access. Whether it is by the officials or individuals I don't know, maybe both

Here is a GE image I drew to show where the bridge is. When we were there access was from the northwest side of the bridge, top green arrow. I assume that will be blocked off.

May have to get off the new Hwy and get on the old road and go under the bridge to the bottom green arrow.

[Edited on 1-3-2017 by TMW]

David K - 3-18-2017 at 07:42 PM

Tom, what are we looking at here?

TMW - 3-19-2017 at 12:26 PM

The outline in red and the pin is where a new bridge is over the wash where the turn off is to the La Turquesa mine north of Cocos. When Roy and I were down in Dec. we stopped at the bridge at that time there was a road from the northwest end of the bridge down into the wash and to the road to the mine. I'm sure there will be a fence up when the hwy is paved.

PaulW - 3-19-2017 at 01:36 PM

The outline in red and the pin is where a new bridge is over the wash where the turn off is to the La Turquesa mine north of Cocos. When Roy and I were down in Dec. we stopped at the bridge at that time there was a road from the northwest end of the bridge down into the wash and to the road to the mine. I'm sure there will be a fence up when the hwy is paved.

======
My track is Green and Blue
Other possibilities depending on the bridge ends are shown in red

GE pic 90.jpg - 189kB

David K - 5-1-2021 at 02:40 PM

Debra came up in another thread, regarding David Eidell, whom she was quite angry at for his habit using people or using women for favors.

The creator of this thread Roy, The Squarecircle, a fun-loving Desert exploring Nomad, has been in really poor shape in recent months. TW (TMW) and I visited with him this past Thursday. Doug (BajaNomad) has visited him a few months ago before Roy became ill and unable to walk.

Pages:  1    3