BajaNomad

Empanada stand

John Lee - 4-24-2008 at 06:40 AM

I once heard of an empanada stand in Ensenada. I found it but it was a Sunday and they were closed. I cannot find the directions and am sure I'd never be able to remember.

These are not fruit empanadas but filled with beef and potatoes, boiled eggs, black olives et al.

Does this little empanada stand ring any bells with anyone? It came from a recommendation from someone on this forum several years ago.

If someone knows the stand (it was off the beaten path and - I think - on the south side of Ensenada) I would appreciate a little help. Directions from the harbor area would be nice.

Coming down to Baja this Friday - staying at Mike & Keri's place - looking forward to getting my Baja fix. It's been a year now since my last visit.

bajabound2005 - 4-24-2008 at 07:26 AM

Marco Antonio's has empanadas. They are on Rayon between 3rd and 4th, open 9 am to 1 pm Mon - Sat. Empanadas are usually gone by 12:15. They are REALLY good.

bajaguy - 4-24-2008 at 07:29 AM

I second Marco Antonio's........outstanding food. Get there early.

John Lee - 4-24-2008 at 08:04 AM

Thanks guys. Marco Antonio's are not fruit filled I hope? It's hard to find empanadas that are not fruit filled.

bajaguy - 4-24-2008 at 08:08 AM

No fruit, unless a dessert. They are some of the best I have had. Tuna and salmon.....yummie!!!!!

bajaboolie - 4-24-2008 at 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by John Lee
... It's been a year now since my last visit.

Sounds like confession. :lol:

The empanadas sound amazing!

John Lee - 4-24-2008 at 08:39 AM

I think I found it. Dona Julia's stand - off of Calzada Cortez a few blocks east of Reforma. Does that sound familiar to anyone?

A bit farther from the tourista district, so I may just try Marco Antonio's instead.

bajaguy - 4-24-2008 at 08:44 AM

John, give us a report on both....take photos!!! Also try the fish tacos and the soup at Marco Antonio's

Bob H - 4-25-2008 at 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by John Lee
I think I found it. Dona Julia's stand - off of Calzada Cortez a few blocks east of Reforma. Does that sound familiar to anyone?

A bit farther from the tourista district, so I may just try Marco Antonio's instead.

THAT's IT... Julias... OUTSTANDING empenadas for sure. You can't go wrong. You can also order them any way you want them as long as they have the ingrediants available, they will make them up for you from scratch, on the spot!
Bob H

woody with a view - 4-25-2008 at 04:37 PM

Quote:

they will make them up for you from scratch, on the spot!

can you say, "life is good"?