BajaNomad

2008 Pyramid Resort Book Signing (40+ pics)

BajaNomad - 5-5-2008 at 10:26 AM

Arrived in the afternoon and missed seeing and/or meeting some of you who had departed earlier.

Very nice to see those that stayed through the latter part of the afternoon and into the evening. Getting Nomads together in one place at one time isn't so easy to do - and doesn't happen often - but when it does, I always enjoy getting to say hello to those that participate on the board here (and so many that will tell me they lurk regularly, but don't post).

:)

Here are some of the pics I took going into the evening activities (I got my camera out to use when the pot luck began) - and the morning afterwards - right before leaving back for San Diego ourselves...

Fishbuck, Jaime and Jason (?) telling fish stories ??? - Bonni Mackintosh to the right:

Bernie (m); Sonora Wind (r)

Bernie (btw... this can be lightened up in Photoshop if desired):

Sorry Gail - I thought this looked kind of fun, although I don't know that you would agree....

After a breakfast prepared by FDT for both our families (thank you sir!), we left the Pyramid a bit behind schedule (which is pretty much our typical M.O. anyway, much to my chagrin). The goal was to get Ryland to baseball practice at 3pm (in San Diego just north of La Jolla) - and to allow mucho tiempo to get through the border crossing line.

The original "plan" was to leave at 10:30 a.m. Alas, our departure from the Pyramid was more like 12:45 p.m.

It's always an interesting decision to make in regards to taking the toll-road north of Rosarito to Tijuana or the free road all the way into the Zona Rio. For me, it mostly depends on which side of the return lanes I think might have less traffic. For this morning (okay, afternoon), I decided the left side ("gringo trap") might be better off - and proceeded on the toll-road. This ended up being a mistake, as the gringo trap entrance was backed up as far as I've ever seen it. We proceeded down the expressway, turned ourselves back around towards the right-side of the San Ysidro border crossing lanes, and found that side to not bee too bad. I stuck to the far right all the way, and we were across at about 2:30 p.m. - I think it was a little less than an hour in line.

Big point to make: I handed the border crossing official the driver's licenses for Michelle and myself - and after answering for him what we were bringing back - he said "have a nice day" - and we were away. There was no request for a birth certificate or passport from us yesterday (or for the two boys, 17 & 7).

Got to baseball practice about 10 minutes late (but the team was still stretching out... so, not too horrible).... and the little guy got to crush a couple of balls during his at-bats....

:biggrin:

Bob H - 5-5-2008 at 10:44 AM

Doug, very nice photos. Looks like a good time at the tasting event. Sorry we missed you.
Bob H

fdt - 5-5-2008 at 08:41 PM

Great pictures Doug, thanks a lot, we had a lot of fun.:bounce::tumble::spingrin::biggrin::bounce:

fishbuck - 5-5-2008 at 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
Great pictures Doug, thanks a lot, we had a lot of fun.:bounce::tumble::spingrin::biggrin::bounce:

As I feel better it does seem like fun now! I didn't leave until Sunday around noon. The Pyramid was almost totally deserted. It was still very beautiful but the magic of the Booksigning had evaporated completely.
Ya, it was fun!

David K - 5-6-2008 at 08:00 AM

Really great photos Doug... Looks like Graham and Bonni enjoyed their first Tequila Tasting! Sorry we missed you guys, as we must have left just before you arrived.

Dinner at Chela's was great BTW.

Graham - 5-6-2008 at 12:51 PM

Wow! What fun. Thanks Doug. Good to see all those pictures.

In fact, I'm only just recovering my sight. Can't believe I voted number one the bottle of five-buck chuck tequila. So smooth.

Next year, I'll know that you're supposed to sip the stuff and not pour it down your throat.

BajaNomad - 5-6-2008 at 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Dinner at Chela's was great BTW.
I saw your pics.... and am a little jealous quite honestly.

:O

David K - 5-6-2008 at 06:00 PM

It was soooo good (isn't that right Bob H?)!!

Doug and David Thanks for the Pic's

Baja Bernie - 5-7-2008 at 08:56 AM

A little late, but I ended up spending a week at the Pyramid and so enjoyed yakking with all of you guys and gals. You just cannot beat having hosts like Keri and Mike....

They took me to a new (to me) place calle "La Bamba's" east side of the road in south Rosarito...wonderful food in a dinner type setting right out of the 50's with music to match. Mexican and American food....excellent, friendly, and super clear...the chrome sparkles.......and so do the people who run it.

Try it you will like it!

David K - 5-16-2008 at 11:59 AM

Yes, a great time... again!

I just finished a web page for my photos at the Pyramid Resort, with a link to this page for Doug's photos: http://vivabaja.com/book6

[Edited on 3-3-2013 by David K]

Keri - 5-16-2008 at 07:27 PM

Thank you, Thank you ,thank you. I can't say it enough. Thanks to Fdt for the Tj beer,To Simone for the fantastic Tequila tasting. To my daughter and friends and my yoga teacher that I hoodwinked into helping.David thanks so much for these pictures. To all the great authors to all the nomads that came to support the day. Great to see Sonora wind.he cooked us a great chicken dinner the first booksigning.To all that helped me bring it together I thank you so much. Lots of work but lots of fun. Mike and I slipped out Monday the 7th and went to San Felipe to relax for a couple of days and then came home for 2 days and left again to go work on our place in San Quintin just got back. Anyway looking forward to number 7. Remember if you run across any authors you would like me to invite for our seventh please send their names and contact numbers to me. Thanks Mucho to everyone,k

kERI

Baja Bernie - 5-16-2008 at 08:38 PM

Saludos to a wonderful lady!

And to you Bernie

Keri - 5-17-2008 at 06:32 PM

for your support, your shoulder to cry on and to listen to me b-tch and moan. and your friendship. Thanks mucho,k

fishbuck - 4-30-2009 at 10:30 PM

Ya, that was fun!

Thanks for keeping us alive.

Keri - 5-1-2009 at 07:47 AM

Looks like this would have been all we got even if I hadn't of had to cancel. Rosarito and Ensenada are having to cancel all events. That would have meant us too. Be ready for the Gran Fiesta next year. If anyone would like to help please let me know. Thanks again for all the great pictures and keeping us in peoples hearts and minds,k

David K - 5-1-2009 at 08:07 AM

Things always seem to turn out okay... I hope you will be feeling more up to the task next year!

Bob H - 5-1-2009 at 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
Ya, that was fun!

You remember that? :lol:

I wish I would have stayed around for the tasting...

Bob H

David K - 4-7-2010 at 03:51 PM

We (Baja Angel, Bob H, Audrey, myself) left just before Doug arrived as we were not speanding the night... my photos of that Book event are here: http://vivabaja.com/book6

[Edited on 12-8-2010 by David K]

David K - 12-7-2010 at 07:13 PM

A look back at a fun time!

Hope conditions and the economy improve so that we will have another event at the Pyramid Resort soon!!!

Udo - 12-7-2010 at 07:48 PM

Great fotos Dough!

Wish we could have been there...looked like great fun, especially the tequila tasing.

David K - 12-7-2010 at 07:53 PM

You would really enjoy the tequila tasting portion of the event, Udo! I specially like the photo of Doug and Graham... too funny!

fdt - 12-7-2010 at 09:59 PM

Let's do it again!:light:

DENNIS - 12-7-2010 at 10:04 PM

:lol::lol: Fishbuck was all over the place. :lol::lol:.

Keri - 12-8-2010 at 07:22 AM

Thanks for reposting those great pictures. Yep I'm hoping/planning to do our 7th booksigning May 1, 2011. Please send me any new authors you would like me to invite. This is such a fun event. Hope you all will plan on coming.k

sanquintinsince73 - 12-8-2010 at 07:25 AM

Can anyone go??

Keri - 12-8-2010 at 07:33 AM

You Bet, Everyone is welcome.k

David K - 12-8-2010 at 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sanquintinsince73
Can anyone go??

I think you gotta love Baja!

Have a look at Keri's first six Book events... they are great get-to-gethers and continued the fun times of getting together after the 4 Viva Baja parties of 2000-2003:

2003: http://www.vivabaja.com/503/ (book1)
2004: http://www.vivabaja.com/504/ (book2)
2005: http://vivabaja.com/book3/
2006: http://vivabaja.com/book4/
2007: http://vivabaja.com/book5/
2008: http://vivabaja.com/book6/

BajaGeoff - 12-13-2010 at 11:34 AM

Cool Keri! Looking forward to it....

Wow!

Baja Bernie - 12-13-2010 at 07:21 PM

I have been, somehow, involved in this wonderful event for many years and have made many friends...

Doubt that many of you know that this is really where Jaime and I started to become one.

Thanks so much Doug

David K - 12-13-2010 at 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bernie
I have been, somehow, involved in this wonderful event for many years and have made many friends...

Doubt that many of you know that this is really where Jaime and I started to become one.

Thanks so much Doug

You are loved, Bernie!

Bajafun777 - 12-13-2010 at 07:57 PM

Keri, this is great that your starting this again. I hope that those on this site go and meet the other nomads that will also be there. You will find it easier to link up with others that you can put a face to along with seeing that many have the same desire as you to enjoy life! I have gone to several and have taken friends along that had not been down to Mexico for some time and they really enjoyed the sharing of knowledge and ideas on travels at these booksigning events.

Keri, I know this will be a real winner as nomads need to link-up and this is close enough for those that can't get away very long to attend something that other nomads will be at. Hope to see many of you down there and always enjoy the stories, the travel ideas, and getting knowledge of where to stay and eat on those travels. Take Care & Travel Safe bajafun777 "No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN"

Bob H - 12-13-2010 at 11:46 PM

Fishbuck...where has he been?

Bob H - 12-13-2010 at 11:50 PM

Is it back ON this year?
If so, When?

David K - 12-14-2010 at 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Is it back ON this year?
If so, When?

Just go up this thread and read Keri's reply!:light:

chippy - 8-2-2019 at 04:37 PM

YAWN!

David K - 8-2-2019 at 04:56 PM

Sadly, this was the final Pyramid Booksigning (2008). Another place down there tried to duplicate it but that was only once, as far as I can recall?

It is too bad we don't have any new get-togethers like Viva Baja, BBBB, or the Pyramid events. It just gets tougher as you get older so let's hope some young blood wants to have a Baja-themed social event. It is nice to meet the person behind the keyboard or behind the website. That was my inspiration for the 4 Viva Baja events I hosted.

Mother of Dragons - 8-2-2019 at 05:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Sadly, this was the final Pyramid Booksigning (2008). Another place down there tried to duplicate it but that was only once, as far as I can recall?

It is too bad we don't have any new get-togethers like Viva Baja, BBBB, or the Pyramid events. It just gets tougher as you get older so let's hope some young blood wants to have a Baja-themed social event. It is nice to meet the person behind the keyboard or behind the website. That was my inspiration for the 4 Viva Baja events I hosted.

Youngblood that isn’t so young,,,40’s is old right?, anyways, I would love a get together and my dragons..15 and just 17, would love it too..
I am willing and able to set up any meeting as much as I can to help out, I know others have to do other parts, but I volunteer to be a liaison in any part.
From my POV and my kids...any and all efforts and plans are MUCH appreciated, we learn from the experienced.

David K - 8-2-2019 at 06:34 PM

Very cool of you to be interested in a get-together, Khalessi!

See my Viva Baja and Viva Baja Cactus photos for a look at those gatherings pre- and post-Nomad...

2000: http://www.vivabaja.com/vivabaja/
2001: http://www.vivabaja.com/vivabaja2/
2002: http://www.vivabaja.com/vivabaja3/
2006: http://www.vivabaja.com/vivabajacactus/

Mother of Dragons - 8-3-2019 at 11:40 AM

Thanks David👍

Mother of Dragons - 8-4-2019 at 04:37 PM

Going through your stuff,, hard to read with the yellow/turquoise, lol

Did the get together’s die out or too much organizing for one guy? I know it’s hard to organize even 2 people.

David K - 8-8-2019 at 07:51 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Mother of Dragons  
Going through your stuff,, hard to read with the yellow/turquoise, lol

Did the get together’s die out or too much organizing for one guy? I know it’s hard to organize even 2 people.

It takes a lot of energy and having helpers goes a long way too.
The idea to meet Baja Internet people was really born back in 2000 when Timothy Walker (TimsBaja.com) suggested that he and I meet and we invited other Internet Baja amigos to come to meet us, too. I brought Graham Mackintosh as we both live in San Diego County and Tim and others were from L.A. and Orange County. We picked San Clemente as a sort of halfway point and met on the pier there.

Here are a few photos taken at that first meeting:

Giesla Van Bree, Mike Humfreville, Mary Ann Humfreville, Graham Mackintosh.

Graham Mackintosh, Michelle (M).

Lorenzo de Baja (LdB) arrives.

El Gato Loco (egl/ Matt) and Baja Barb and Norm of BajaLinks.com

Ferna de Tijuana (FdT)

Jens (Yens) of Baja-Web.com and his guest.

Whistler (Glenn)

Also there was Timothy Walker (TimsBaja.com), Carlos Fiesta (BajaExpo.com) and Dick Van Bree (BajaLinks.com)... sadly, I didn't get their photos on my little camera.

So, that went over so well that Dick Van Bree grabbed me when we were saying our goodbyes and said I had to organize more meetings like this!

Tim was a bit shy and not as motivated for organizing an event. M (Michelle) was very supportive and would later organize meetups that took place in Baja. She called them BBBB's (for Boojum Buddies Baja Bash, as we were calling ourselves Boojum Buddies. Her first was at Cielito Lindo in Sept. 2001. Photos at my website.

I named my event, 'Viva Baja' as that was what it was, a celebration of our love for Baja. I invited book authors, Baja businesses, and members of the Amigos de Baja forum (where many of us posted before Baja Nomad). Doug (Baja Nomad) was there as was Fred Metcalf who had a popular message board for many years. It was held at a hotel in San Clemente and included a dinner. We had a Baja show and tell and people got to know each other in person.

My website was originally called DavidKsBaja.com (patterned after TimsBaja.com) but after the success of Viva Baja, as soon as Doug (BajaNomad) was able to grab the URL vivabaja.com, he did and gave it to me... very cool!
Viva Baja #1 had almost 50 guests, #2 had a few more, but when #3 rolled around (and was moved to Oceanside), over 100 came... We had reserved a Mexican restaurant all for this event the afternoon and evening. Several people showed up that had not RSVP'd but the place had enough room and it was great. Viva Baja #4 (in 2003) was located at Capistrano Beach and Msal helped a lot with that one. We kept the location secret so there wouldn't be any surprises with extra attendees, as the restaurant was not as big.

2000: http://www.vivabaja.com/vivabaja/
2001: http://www.vivabaja.com/vivabaja2/
2002: http://www.vivabaja.com/vivabaja3/
2003: http://www.vivabaja.com/vivabaja4/

Well, they were all great but that was enough for me to promote (In thought)! Keri of the Pyramid Resort was at Viva Baja 4 and she liked the idea of have Baja book authors at the event so she created the Pyramid Resort Baja Book Signing events. Her first was 3 months after Viva Baja #4 and she had 6 of them (2003-2008). Photos on my website.

Antonio, 'BajaCactus', liked the concept of a meeting event to share his Mexican culture and asked me to help with the guest list and other minor things, but he did all the hard work and had a tour bus for us and a great dinner. This was Viva Baja Cactus, in 2006: http://www.vivabaja.com/vivabajacactus/

Antonio had already created the Baja-Rosario Cultural Festival in July of 2005 to be held every year for the birth of El Rosario (the mission was founded in July 1774). He promoted 4 of them (2005, -6, -7, -8), trying to get townspeople to take over at some point. However, without Antonio's leadership, the festival fizzled.

It takes a lot of energy to produce events for people! They are wonderful and if I had that kind of energy, I would do more. I was very pleased with the ones I did and the ones that were born from the idea of getting Baja folks together, in person.

Mother of Dragons - 8-8-2019 at 05:49 PM

Thanks David.
It looks like fun and yes, lots of work, so thank you and your helpers.
I love a get together to meet people you chat with online.

Is Antonio, BajaCactus, the same that has a car rental company?

David K - 8-8-2019 at 07:33 PM

Thanks David.
It looks like fun and yes, lots of work, so thank you and your helpers.
I love a get together to meet people you chat with online.

Is Antonio, BajaCactus, the same that has a car rental company?

Baja Cactus is the motel and gas station in El Rosario. He also has an emergency rescue service (Halcones del Desierto) and fire department all financed by his motel, gas station, and donations. Please use Baja Cactus for what they provide.

Mother of Dragons - 8-9-2019 at 05:13 PM

Oh ok. Thanks for clarifying it and will bookmark it for future trips.

David K - 8-9-2019 at 05:38 PM

I never heard of a Baja Cactus car company... Where are they?

Mother of Dragons - 8-10-2019 at 08:22 AM

I never heard of a Baja Cactus car company... Where are they?

Wrong again😂😂 cactus car rental..oops
But hey, an Antonio runs it and cactus is in the name😂
https://www.cactuscar.com/about_us.php

David K - 8-10-2019 at 09:47 AM

See how much we learn on Baja Nomad?!! Have a great day!

Mother of Dragons - 8-10-2019 at 10:27 AM

See how much we learn on Baja Nomad?!! Have a great day!

Tons! You’ve been a greatly appreciated resource.