BajaNomad

1977 EL CAMINO REAL MAPS from Harry Crosby

David K - 6-6-2008 at 09:08 AM

Each thumbnail map will go to full size when clicked on twice... Maps prepared from Harry's research trips for his book 'The King's Highway in Baja California'. These maps are much more detailed than those in his book!
(This link has can also be found in my Baja Notebook, linked at the bottom of my Nomad posts)

http://www.sandiegohistory.org/journal/77winter/bajamaps.htm

Here's some:

The link also can take you to some of Harry's photos of the Camino Real, like this one (looking north, a few miles south of San Borja):

[Edited on 12-9-2008 by David K]

Neal Johns - 6-6-2008 at 06:28 PM

Keep up the good work, David (even if you are making me look bad in comparison :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: - haven't done anything much for the Nomad board lately).

The picture in his first post was taken two miles south of Mission San Borja looking north by Crosby. It is a great and easy hike - highly recommended. White spot at the end of the visible trail at the top of the picture is the airport (ditched, Capt. Mike)

David K - 6-6-2008 at 06:34 PM

Yes, that big clearing at the top of the photo was the former Mision San Borja airport (dirt field), located in a side valley, south of and higher up from the mission.

Neal, it is always great to see a post from you (even the times when you don't add nice words about me... :lol: )

David K - 12-7-2008 at 11:29 AM

Go to wikimapia.org and see pieces of the Camino Real, from space!

Here it is dropping down into El Paraiso Canyon: El Paraiso south grade

[Edited on 12-7-2008 by David K]

Baja Bucko - 12-7-2008 at 08:23 PM

Davo---------UGH-a route I have such find memories of....there's a reason I can count on 2 hands who has been on this "trail" over the past 100 years...BB

David K - 12-7-2008 at 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bucko
Davo---------UGH-a route I have such find memories of....there's a reason I can count on 2 hands who has been on this "trail" over the past 100 years...BB

Yes, LOL... that is a heck of a drop off into El Paraiso canyon... Please feel free to re-post the story of your ride-along friend who didn't do too well on that part of the mission trail...

(note to newer Nomads: Baja Bucko is a big fan of the Camino Real who has been on many parts of it and other mission trails. on muleback... we hope for a book to be written by her!)

David K - 12-8-2008 at 10:00 AM

Here's the top half of the north grade, El Paraiso Canyon:
El Paraiso, north grade (ECR)

David K - 12-8-2008 at 10:04 AM

Here's an excellent section of the Royal Road... south of San Borja, near Compostela:
El Camino Real from space!