BajaNomad

LOS GORDOS ANNUAL CHILI COOK-OFF, AUG 16 2008

bajabound2005 - 6-22-2008 at 04:49 PM

SAVE THE DATE! Saturday, August 16, 2008 will be the date you want to head for La Bufadora and participate by cooking or tasting (or both) in the 13th Annual "Anything Goes" Chili Cook-Off sponsored by Los Gordos Restaurant. So start gathering your teams and testing your recipes!

In addition to the chili cook-off there will be a Salsa Contest (the food, not the dance – well, maybe there'll be some dancing later in the day ). There will be cash prizes for the best chili, best salsa and best booth.

Spectators can sample all the chili and salsas entered for just $1 (spoons and bowls provided). Tickets for a drawing may also be purchased, 6 tickets for $5. We need raffle prizes! Tasting and judging starts at 3:00 but come early and stay late! CHILI RULES: $10 entry fee per chili (you can enter as many recipes as you'd like), must provide all of your own supplies, food, tables and utensils for cooking. And a 5 star recommendation from those of us who competed last year as novices – BRING YOUR OWN SHADE!

CHILI RULES:

· All cooking must be done on the premises outside.

· Beans may be pre-soaked, other items may be pre-chopped.

· Canned goods may be used but not opened before the official 12:00 noon start time.

· Judging will take place at 3:00 p.m.

· Plan to make at least 4 quarts of chili (250 samples).

· ANYTHING GOES. International chili cook-off rules do not apply!

· $10 entry fee per chili.

SALSA RULES:

· There are two categories of salsa, hot and regular.

· Salsa may be pre-made and bring 2 pints to the cook-off.

· $7 entry fee per salsa.

No need to pre-enter for either – just come and have a good time. For more info (not that there is more), contact Vince and Kathleen (Bajamigo and Bajabound2005) at 646 152 0090 (Mexico) or 619 677 5771 (Vonage) or bajakt at gmail dot com

BAJACAT - 6-23-2008 at 08:47 PM

good luck Kath

bajabound2005 - 6-24-2008 at 06:46 AM

We aren't cooking this year...we are coordinating the event! How 'bout you Bajacat?

Udo - 6-24-2008 at 08:31 AM

What is the prize money awarded for chili and booth prizes?

bajabound2005 - 6-24-2008 at 02:40 PM

depends on the amount of money collected for entry fees and raffle tickets sold. First prize chili (as we understand it) historically has been around $100 mas o menos.

BAJACAT - 6-24-2008 at 08:56 PM

CATS don't cook, they just eat:lol::lol:

bbbait - 6-25-2008 at 12:37 PM

BajaBound not cooking? Bummer, seemed like your's was one of the best! I bought you a beer while you were in that hot corner sweating your arse off! See you down there!

Chili Cookoff

awfulart - 6-29-2008 at 10:45 AM

We would like to attend the cookoff as consumers only as my
cooking could very well ruin the whole event.

We would probably attend on our way to Mulege with school textbooks. Would spend the nite at a local R V campground, hopefully close by.

Can anyone recommend a campground? I believe there are 3 in the general vicinity.

Art & Alice - Valley Center Ca

bajabound2005 - 6-29-2008 at 11:54 AM

El Refugio is on the estero in Cantu. It's a nice spot; I think they even have hookups. La Jolla Beach Camp, Campo Menesis in Punta Banda. BTW, we have several boxes of textbooks (in Spanish) complete with teachers' guides, that can go with you.

DENNIS - 6-29-2008 at 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by awfulart
Can anyone recommend a campground? I believe there are 3 in the general vicinity.

Art & Alice - Valley Center Ca

If you're self-contained, you can stay right there at Rancho La Bufadora [Toscanos]. They have restrooms but no showers.
Lomas Del Mar has spots with electricity , no heads.
Toscanos would be your best bet. Eliminate the driving after a hard day of drinking in the sun and walk to good restaurants.

bajabound2005 - 7-10-2008 at 05:37 PM

bumpity-bump!

And I hear Paulina will be one of the judges! Any other Nomads want to step up to the chili pot or salsa bowl and be a judge?

DAMN

woody with a view - 7-10-2008 at 06:07 PM

this is the same day as Andy's 22nd Annual Backyard Horseshoe Tournament and BBQ.

awfulart - 7-12-2008 at 12:32 PM

Dennis and Baja Bound, thank you for the info. We are selfcontained but do like to keep our holding tanks as close to empty as possible. So will take a look and decide.

May not have any more room for additional books as we will be pretty loaded down hoping we can get across the border w/o any problems.

Thanks again
Art & Alice

bajabound2005 - 7-12-2008 at 07:17 PM

Dude - we'll be looking for you!

Paulina - 7-12-2008 at 08:40 PM

Hello from Bahia,

Yes, Dern and I will be happy to judge again. Looking forward to it. It's a fun event, lots of sunshine so be prepared for a good time! See you soon.

P y D

[Edited on 14-7-2008 by Paulina]

bajabound2005 - 8-5-2008 at 08:06 AM

11 DAYS 'TIL THE CHILI COOK-OFF!

awfulart - 8-7-2008 at 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabound2005
11 DAYS 'TIL THE CHILI COOK-OFF!

Looked at your Blog, very nicely done. Who is the writer?

We are also looking forward to the cook off and hopefully meeting face to face some nomads. If you see an old guy with a 3/4 ton gray dodge truck pulling a 28 ft Alpenlite Travel Trailer and seemingly confused, that would be me. Wave or better yet stop and say hello.:bounce:

Art & Alice

[Edited on 8-7-2008 by awfulart]

bajaguy - 8-7-2008 at 05:12 PM

Art.....when are you arriving???

awfulart - 8-7-2008 at 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
Art.....when are you arriving???

We hope to arrive either Wed. afternoon or Thursday morning. We have some things for Serinita and are trying to arrange a meet in Ensenada.

DENNIS - 8-7-2008 at 06:33 PM

Art....Where have you decided to park your rig?

bajabound2005 - 8-7-2008 at 07:12 PM

Serinita is our alternate dog sitter now that she's here! She knows where we live but do need to get her out here for the cook-off! Art & Alice, we'll be lookin' for ya'

awfulart - 8-7-2008 at 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Art....Where have you decided to park your rig?

Dennis,
No specific plans, we are self contained so we can be flexible. I understand there are 3 or 4 RV campgrounds in the area.

DENNIS - 8-8-2008 at 07:42 AM

Quote:
Dennis,
No specific plans, we are self contained so we can be flexible. I understand there are 3 or 4 RV campgrounds in the area.

Good enough. You should probably rule out La Jolla. Too crowded and noisy. I still think Toscanos is your best bet.

Paulina - 8-9-2008 at 11:18 AM

Just pulled in yesterday afternoon from Bahia. The beach side of La Jolla is packed to the gills. Still room in the over-flow, but Toscanos is still the best bet with easy walking right up to Gordos.

See you all soon,

p y d

bajabound2005 - 8-9-2008 at 12:47 PM

Only 7 more days until the cook-off!

awfulart - 8-9-2008 at 02:14 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Dennis,

Good enough. You should probably rule out La Jolla. Too crowded and noisy. I still think Toscanos is your best bet.

Will try tocanos first. What about access? Steep, or ?

DENNIS - 8-9-2008 at 08:10 PM

A mild downhill entrance for about fifty yards. Pretty much level after that. No problem. Let us know if you want us to reserve and pick out a spot for you. I was there today and it was empty so you won't have a problem.

awfulart - 8-10-2008 at 07:46 AM

Quote:
A mild downhill entrance for about fifty yards. Pretty much level after that. No problem. Let us know if you want us to reserve and pick out a spot for you. I was there today and it was empty so you won't have a problem.

Thank you, will let you know. What about security, the truck and trailer could be left unattended part of the time and even though we have never had a problem with theft we are always aware and careful where we park.

bajabound2005 - 8-10-2008 at 09:28 AM

Security is not a problem there and you'll be about 100 yards from the chili cook-off.

awfulart - 8-10-2008 at 10:13 AM

Quote:
Security is not a problem there and you'll be about 100 yards from the chili cook-off.

Sounds good. If not too much trouble go ahead and reserve a good spot for us. One question. Is there a place to dump in case our black water holding tank gets full? Thank you for your help.

lizard lips - 8-14-2008 at 11:19 AM

How many entries are there. For $1.00 to taste all the chili, I want to make sure i get enough!

This will be the first time I will be going. Will there be a lot of people and enough parking?

bajabound2005 - 8-14-2008 at 04:38 PM

we don't do a pre-registration so we never know how many entries there will be. There is lots of parking at La Buf (albiet, you have to pay for it). See you all there!

Paulina - 8-16-2008 at 11:22 AM

It's a great day for a chili cookoff. The weather here in Punta Banda is beautiful; blue skies, upper 70s if not 80, not a cloud in sight. Up over the hill towards La Buff we can see a few clouds, which would help out a great deal over there as last year it was HOT. We're getting ready to take the micro up over the hill in about a half hour. No parking worries for us this year!

Saludos!

P y D

bajabound2005 - 8-16-2008 at 05:58 PM

It was a great day and a great success. Thanks to Awfulart and his wife for being a part of our fun today. Thanks to Paulina and Dern for being part of the chili judging team. LizardLips was a no-show. Dennis, where were you? BajaDock was there sampling some excellent chilies and salsas. Where was BigMike and BigBoy? Too much vino last night? And BBBait? What happened to you? You're always there!

Though we didn't complete in the chili cook-off this year since we were running the darn thing...I did enter a salsa. Much to my surprise, it took first place in the "hot" category! I didn't think it was very good:)

Thanks again to everyone who came out to support the cause (which is nothng more than having fun!) See you next year!

Paulina - 8-16-2008 at 06:13 PM

It was an excellent day at the chili races. Thanks Vince and Kathleen for "running the darn thing". You done good!

Awful Art, good to meet you and your lovely wife.

Dennis, MIA?

Photos Vince?

P y D

bajabound2005 - 8-16-2008 at 06:14 PM

Paulina! First things first...showers and a c-cktail! Pix probably not forthcoming until tomorrow...

Paulina - 8-16-2008 at 06:18 PM

Quote:
Paulina! First things first...showers and a c-cktail! Pix probably not forthcoming until tomorrow...

Exactly! c-cktails IN the shower is how I would do it if I were you...

Kill two birds with one stone.

Just be careful of that hair-do! (I was envious) ;D

Thanks again,
P.

bajamigo - 8-16-2008 at 07:10 PM

For the record, bigboy was there

bajabound2005 - 8-16-2008 at 07:19 PM

my bad....I must have been inside with chili and judges so I missed seeing him!

bbbait - 8-16-2008 at 09:37 PM

Well, thanks for missing me! It's been about all I can think about this weekend. It started falling apart for me a couple of weeks ago when the gal that manages things at the bait shop while I'm gone fell and screwed up her knee, ( get out the violin)...

aha baja - 8-16-2008 at 10:07 PM

Hey PyD Hope you had a great time doing the taste test! Maybe just a little misbehavin' w/some c-cktail shower hour:lol: (brown chicken brown cowwww da dada da....):lol:

bajadock - 8-17-2008 at 08:44 AM

THAT was a darn good party. THANKYOUSOVERYMUCH!

bigmike - 8-17-2008 at 04:14 PM

Sorry I missed the Chili Cook Off and being a judge, but with this bug I have had all this week, going to the wine event friday night did me in for the rest of the weekend, missed Paella Festival today also. I heard it was a wonderful event and I will be there next year.:biggrin:

lizard lips - 8-17-2008 at 04:28 PM

LizardLips was a no-show.

I also have not been feeling good and Saturday found me lying in bed once again.

I'm two for two this week. Bajaguy invited me to his home last Monday and I missed that as well. There will always be next year!

I'm glad it turned out nice.....

bajabound2005 - 8-17-2008 at 07:49 PM

wow....we seem to have some kind of epidemic in the area! Hope everyone is well soon....OH, next cook-off date is looking like JULY 18, 2009 for La Bufadora!

bigboy - 8-17-2008 at 10:13 PM

bajabound2005,

My brother, Big Daddy and I got a late start fishing because of some event that we went to on Friday night. As I recall, a few of us from Punta Banda were there as well.

Anyway, by the time we got in from fishing, cleaned up and gathered the wives, we arrived at the cook off a little late. Since I skipped lunch and was famished, I made a whirlwind tour of all of the booths that still had a morsel of chili left. In my haste, I didn't see you but next year I'll come early so I can do a little more tasting and socializing!