BajaNomad

access to toll road from SY Crossing -- DETOUR!!!

bajabound2005 - 6-28-2008 at 08:11 PM

This came from a press release --- we do NOT guarantee accuracy of the directions!

Travelers to Mexico from the US using the San Ysidro crossing will now have to take an alternate route to the Ensenada Scenic Highway (the "Toll Road") until construction is completed on the existing access.

1. Once you get across the border and onto the bridge, make sure you are in the LEFT lane.
2. Take the spiral turn on your left that goes under the bridge that you are on.
3. You will end up in downtown Tijuana (Third Street). Keep driving on that street until the street ends.
4. At the end of Third Street, make a RIGHT hand turn and go one block.
5. At the traffic light, make a LEFT onto Second street and keep RIGHT.

That street will lead you to the entrance to the toll road, which will be on your left.

Here it is in words and pictures.......

bajamigo - 6-28-2008 at 08:56 PM

Woooosh - 6-28-2008 at 10:40 PM

They are supposed to build a brige over the TJ river to connect Via Rapida East to Padre Kino eaast. The bridge and road connecting them both westbound opened a few years ago. Why didn't they save money and do both directions at the same time... well you know my answer MexSOS. This is really good news for car traffic to the US border as it will take the through traffic away from the three or four bad intersectons that screw it up all the time.

I liked the old loop better anyway. I'm glad they were smart enough to not tear it out when the new one opened. Hard to tell if they had planned it or were too lazy to take it down. It was real tough getting over to that lane ina small truck- I'd hate to hauling toys on a trailer.

While we're on MxSOS (Mexico- Stuck on Stupid). They closed all southbound lanes on the cuota at Playas yesterday afternoon for construction. Both lanes closed on a friday mid-summer afternoon. My neighbor didn't know how to get to Rosasrito on the 5&10 free road. She paid a cab 50 pesos to lead her to Rosarito- how ingenious. She said a lot of peolpe were without a cluse as to what to do. Navigating a new loop at the border is one thing- taking the 5&10 is a whole other game.

jeans - 6-29-2008 at 12:32 AM

I'm waiting for ftd to come on and say as he has a hundred times..."just take the free road". :tumble:

In the 30+ years I have been making the pilgrimage to my parent's house, (first my in-laws at El Faro in the 70's, then later my own parents) this is the first time I have actually seen a detour posted...on the internet no less!! What a luxury! They normally would just block the way and let everyone fend for themselves.

I've had many adventurous drives through Tijuana & Ensenada thanks to the dreaded "Desviacion" sign (not sure of the spelling) that would point a certain direction and not be followed by other signs...and the adventure would begin. :o:o

vandenberg - 6-29-2008 at 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jeans

I've had many adventurous drives through Tijuana & Ensenada thanks to the dreaded "Desviacion" sign (not sure of the spelling) that would point a certain direction and not be followed by other signs...and the adventure would begin. :o:o

Well Jeans,
This is not indigenous to Mexico.
On a secondary road in Kentucky, driving a motorhome, there never was another sign after the initial "detour" sign, and we got waylaid into some scary backcountry, reminiscent of "Deliverance". Scared the Bejesus out of my better half.
Maybe that's were this picture came from :?:

Man-Eating-His-Nose.jpg - 29kB

Bajaboy - 6-29-2008 at 06:06 AM

I'm headed down tomorrow and will try and report back.

Zac

Bob and Susan - 6-29-2008 at 07:33 AM

i'll be crossing in a couple of weeks ...again...

please post ANY reports for anyone that used this "new" way to get to the toll road

fdt - 6-29-2008 at 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jeans
I'm waiting for ftd to come on and say as he has a hundred times..."just take the free road". :tumble:

Hey, why not, take advantage of this opportunity because that closure is going to be there thru november.
jeans, I thought I mentioned to you about the new route during the tour we took and you said you always used that comming back? Calle segunda or Benito Juarez.
In any case the map shown above is pretty much accurate, I'll make a google one.

bajaguy - 6-29-2008 at 09:02 AM

Avoid the whole mess by taking the Otay crossing either way
(the new bridge by-passing the commercial district is complete), and use BLVD 2000 to get from Otay to Popotla and the toll/free road.

Less traffic, less hassles, no toll booths.

bajamigo - 6-29-2008 at 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy
(the new bridge by-passing the commercial district is complete), and use BLVD 2000 to get from Otay to Popotla and the toll/free road.

And the Duty Free store there sells Bombay Sapphire for $11.50 a liter!

:yes:

jodiego - 6-29-2008 at 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaguy

Are there signs now to direct people in the direction of Blvd 2000 and Popotla?

bajaguy - 6-29-2008 at 09:47 AM

Not from the Otay crossing....u2u me if you want detailed instructions

bacquito - 6-29-2008 at 10:03 AM

Thanks for the infomation. I hope is is easier to access than the right hand turn lane. From all appearences it is.:)

here it is

fdt - 6-29-2008 at 10:24 AM

I strongly recomend the free road but if you absolutely must take the toll road, here is the way to get there.
As for Blvd 2000, please don't use it it is not safe yet!

Bob and Susan - 6-29-2008 at 10:27 AM

so after the big circle turn you can't get back up to the border road???

you have to drive thru town???

great map!!!!

i need to cross at tj because of the visas...

[Edited on 6-29-2008 by Bob and Susan]

fdt - 6-29-2008 at 10:29 AM

Avenida Internacional is closed and so is via rapida going to la mesa

Bob and Susan - 6-29-2008 at 10:31 AM

is that a dead end turn at avenida I????

fdt - 6-29-2008 at 10:38 AM

Yes, its a small mountain

DENNIS - 6-29-2008 at 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
is that a dead end turn at avenida I????

Second Ave. is one way toward the border and changes to two way where the cross over from Third to Second is on Vince's map. I believe Third is one way in the opposite direction. I don't have a clue where First is but, it isn't involved anyway.

Sorry...I think I'm just confusing things.

[Edited on 6-29-2008 by DENNIS]

fdt - 6-29-2008 at 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

Sorry...I think I'm just confusing things.

:lol::lol::lol:

fdt - 6-29-2008 at 10:45 AM

Oh and on the way back just stay on the same road straight calle 2a takes you all the way to the border.

Woooosh - 6-29-2008 at 10:46 AM

You've made this way too complicated. The first post and map was perfect.

The closure of the cuoto was for a few hours friday afternoon only as far as I know.

DianaT - 6-30-2008 at 12:23 PM

I am bumping this thread because it is important to anyone coming down.

We crossed last Friday, June 27 early in the morning and we were not prepared----suddenly we saw our turn blocked and there we were in the far right lane.

I have no idea how we did it, but we managed to weave our way through part of Tijuana and ended up on the toll road.

Considered the free road, but got lost looking for that one---need to carry all maps provided on this forum.

Oh, it is really beautiful down here right now.

Diane

[Edited on 6-30-2008 by jdtrotter]

BajaSerg - 6-30-2008 at 01:50 PM

Hey thanks for the info, we generally come into TJ at night after work, good to know so we don’t get lost…..so it’s back to the old way again…..

Better Way to Go

BajaGringo - 6-30-2008 at 02:00 PM

There is an easier way than going through Centro / Downtown. Stay in the 2nd lane from the right, keeping in the first lane right of the concrete barrier divider from the Centro lanes and then take the first left access ramp which leads back to the Ave. Internacional heading west.

Here is a webpage if you want to bookmark a reference:

http://www.bajagringo.com/BorderAccessDirections.htm

This route is a lot faster and less confusing than weaving through downtown. If you miss the access ramp on the left you will end up on the Via Rapida heading east. If that happens, take the first exit off the Via Rapida, to Paseo de los Heroes, make a right and follow it down to the ramp to Rosarito on your right which will connect to the same access ramp to the Ave. Internacional.

[Edited on 6-30-2008 by BajaGringo]

Bob and Susan - 6-30-2008 at 02:12 PM

i thought ftd said Ave International is closed

i'm confused

BajaGringo - 6-30-2008 at 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob and Susan
i thought ftd said Ave International is closed

i'm confused

The Ave Internacional east is closed at the extreme eastern end before the light. The route I just posted was still accessible as of early this morning when I last drove across the border...

BornFisher - 6-30-2008 at 04:49 PM

Yeah, I crossed last Tuesday and just went the old way, stay in 3rd lane and do that loop thing! Simple!!

guadalupe - 6-30-2008 at 09:13 PM

Very nice map mr. baja gringo and you are correct. That is the best way to reach the coast and toll road when crossing the border at San Ysidro right now with the construction in progress. I don't think that left lane access to the Internacional you mentioned is marked in case someone is looking for a sign.

David K - 6-30-2008 at 10:57 PM

You got to be kidding! :lol:

Ferna, really bad to traverse downtown TJ just to get south! Please check BajaGringo's route when you can, becaue if it is open in one direction (west/ southbound) that would be much better. THANKS!

Naturally, if I must get south along the Pacific coast, it is Blvd. 2000 from the Otay border... a breeze! However, let's call it a 'daylight only' route so the banditos don't attack us!

I think since there is no El Rosario Festival this year, we will head north for our July vacation? Bob and Susan's invitation is mighty tempting though!!!:o:yes:

MexicoTed - 7-1-2008 at 01:26 PM

I was in a meeting with Baja Tourism last week and was told they expect the construction work to be done by Sept-Oct. Let's hope they can get it done close to this date and that they fix everything.
Ted

Taco de Baja - 7-2-2008 at 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MexicoTed
I was in a meeting with Baja Tourism last week and was told they expect the construction work to be done by Sept-Oct. Let's hope they can get it done close to this date and that they fix everything.
Ted

Being Mexico, I assume you mean Sept-Oct of 2009? :lol:

rpleger - 7-2-2008 at 07:40 AM

Thanks FDT...maps are going to be helpfull......

Thanks to all for the information...

sonoraed - 7-7-2008 at 09:46 PM

I went thru the border at 5pm 7-3-08 with a truck and tent trailer and took the 3rd street route with no problem.

camped at Popotla that night and several people came late said the next morning they really got lost in downtown TJ:(

Gadget - 7-8-2008 at 11:22 AM

This is actually not a new route, we took the loop for decades before they built that little bridge ramp to the right that is closed now.

3rd through downtown TJ???? You gotta be kidding. You're just in the gautlet even more.

The free road over the hill is quick and easy, both ways and prevents being detoured to Otay when northbound.

fishbuck - 7-8-2008 at 11:36 AM

The detour was easy going south. Just go slow and follow the signs.
A bit trickier going north. Got a little disoriented but got back on track pretty quick.
Did both at night too.
No problem and I wasn't even wearing my "Nightbuck" outfit.

[Edited on 7-8-2008 by fishbuck]

fdt - 7-10-2008 at 11:05 AM

GringoGuy's map is the way to go now, since they have reopened the internacional, sorry, wasn't aware of it till I traveled it yesterday, I was just going on hear-say. Keep the maps I posted in case it happens again, you'll know the way.

bajadock - 7-10-2008 at 09:53 PM

ORANGE SIGNS.

In Mexico? Really? Great signage today on trip back from San Diego airport at TJ border after picking up mom.

ORANGE SIGNS overhead at TJ crossing south and to "PLAYAS de TJ/ENSENADA". Thanks BG for map, so ez, even I could navigate it.

Took roll road only because my mom had already had a long trip from Orlando, FL. Otherwise, FREE ROAD is the best way to go.

ALSO, regular gas seemed plentiful everywhere up on down from Ensenada to TJ. Lots of patrons at all Pemex stations.
I appreciate all NOMAD feedback on fuel, as I feel Pemex will fail in time without international investment.

OTAY wait north was only 50 minutes at NOON today, though the traffic was backed up south of the stores. It interests me that length of line and time of line have little or no relationship.

Lots more military show on highways today. I suspect this is more show than go, but, mejor que nada.

Most important detail of my trip norte, was peanut sale at WMART/Eastlake. This is humongous for my beer drinking guests.

[Edited on 7-11-2008 by bajadock]