BajaNomad

MULEGE MIRROR - "Remember When?"

Pages:  1  2  

Pompano - 3-21-2010 at 03:57 PM

Some streets and intersections.

Everyone knows Saul and his La Palapa roadside cafe south of townl..or will if you are driving the Baja Highway. Grrrrreat food and a smiling host.

Xavier's Las Casitas Restaurant and Motel. Just one block from the town square. Another Mulege legend and a fine dinner menu with Xavier at the kitchen's helm. Plus..some very nice decor and ambiance. We had dinner there a few nights ago and were treated to a great flamenco guitarist. Gracias, my old friend.

I ducked into several tiendas to check out their wares. I'm sure this gal thought I was following her into Claudia y Miguel's La Tienda, one of Mulege's great places to spend some pesos. In here you will find many quality items..a cut above the normal stores.

Need an overnight RV site with full hookups..or longer? Try Marybelle's place.

Do me a favor? Drive out the north river road and pay my bar bill at Tim's El Patron. Seriously, you will be glad you did. The ambiance, the seaside view, the food, the dog sleeping under your table, all make this a must see when in Mulege.

I always have to make 2 stops at Saul's Market...one for groceries..and the second to check out the Poster Window. For sale - Wanted - Announcements - Somebody may have found my car keys - Etc

Mulege people are clearly herd animals and like the town square.

NO..I WILL NOT TELL YOU WHERE THIS SALE IS GOING ON.

This newer tortilla factory is next door to Mely's cafe at the town entrance. On the right..follow your nose.

These ARE on my diet, right dear?

[Edited on 4-11-2014 by Pompano]

willyAirstream - 3-21-2010 at 04:20 PM

Once again - FANTASTIC! Having run in to Mulege several times in my online search for a place to winter ( or maybe full time), I've been curious , and somewhat apprehensive, about the details - places to eat, shop for food, repair shops, hardware etc. Your pics ( and the fact that you like to eat LoL) sure tell alot! My mind is set on Bahia Concepcion now. Mulege seems ideal and beautiful. I was planning a 2 week excursion to check it out, but that may have to be put off, but I plan on being there right after hurricane season. I truly appreciate this photo essay, much better than any books out there ( or websites). Garcias!

Bajahowodd - 3-21-2010 at 04:28 PM

A wonderful place. Except for those unfortunate folks who put their bets on housing cerca del rio.

Lots of new construction and riverfront homes

Pompano - 3-21-2010 at 05:11 PM

Funny how adversity often brings out the best in people. I own homes along water..couldn't live without it. Two flood regulary. One is at above-record flood stage right now..along the Red River at Minnesota/ND border. FOX News is reporting on it every other hour. Hey,.. CNN and MSNBC gave it about 2 minutes the other day, too. Gotta love those guys.

Here's some photos from the other day along the river in Mulege.

Lots of these places are fixed up now..and are for sale. Mine are not. I wish great good luck to those who want to sell their waterfront homes...and great good luck to those who will buy them and spend some very happy years in Mulege.

Always research carefully before buying, folks..after that it's a crap shoot.

That's just a few. Maybe next trip in to town I'll take a ride along the rio and post some more. Now it's time for Ana's and chicken tostados.

Hasta luego..

[Edited on 3-22-2010 by Pompano]

irenemm - 3-21-2010 at 07:08 PM

Wow
Thank you for a wondeful trip. My friends just came back from there and they loved it.
You look like someone who stayed here over the years.
Have you ever stopped and stayed a the Posada don Diego R.V. Park in vicente guerrero?
thanks again for the fun trip really enjoyed it
Irene

MULEGE MIRROR

Pompano - 3-22-2010 at 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by irenemm
Wow
Thank you for a wondeful trip. My friends just came back from there and they loved it.
You look like someone who stayed here over the years.
Have you ever stopped and stayed a the Posada don Diego R.V. Park in vicente guerrero?
thanks again for the fun trip really enjoyed it
Irene

Hola Irene. Indeed I have stayed at Posada don Diego Park at couple times in the past, although it has been many years since I stopped that soon on my southbound route. I do recall it as being a very pleasant stay. Thanks for the reminder and I'll be sure to enjoy it again when I'm in my motorhome or fiver.

MULEGE

At one time in Mulege, an average tourist would have to shop all over the place to score all the items on a grocery list.

Nowadays I could do it all in one store.

But I don't.

It's too damn much fun hitting ALL the Mulege hodgepodge of tiendas. It's not about the shopping...;D

Do not forget to drink purified water. It's good for you.

(That will be 10 pesos per word. Gracias, amigo)

Need a motel room in Mulege? We have many available in all price ranges. Here's one near the 'Y'..the turnoff from the highway to downtown. I stayed there one nght a couple years ago after flying from Up North to Loreto to retrieve up a motorhome at mi casa. It was August and way too scorching-hot to stay in the Bay, so I got a nice COOL room at this motel. It was a life-saver, believe me.

How hot was that, you ask?

Well, damn hot. It was so hot that..

..the birds had to use potholders to pull worms out of the ground.

..the trees were whistling for the dogs.

There is little truth to the rumor that the town is going to the dogs...

...except in some circles.

Bob H - 3-22-2010 at 11:36 PM

I really enjoy all of these images. Loved the shots of El Candil - I love that place! l love Mulege!!!!

Thanks Roger.
Bob H

April photos of Mulege places

Pompano - 4-14-2010 at 08:44 AM

South Waterfront ..taken from the north river road.

Some post-Jimena clean-up still to be done.

Good cafe on the north river road.

Cafe El Patron on the beach.

On the beach by El Patron's and the lighthouse.

View of lighthouse and river estuary from Loma Azul area.

Mulege cemetery.

Some nice overviews of Mulege..taken from the heights above the museum.

Co-pilot attends Easter Sunday Mass

Mulege Walkabout

Mulegena - 4-14-2010 at 09:38 AM

Thanks, Pompano, for the latest pix.
The doggies and I climb all over those hills for exercise.
There are wonderful, obscure little footpaths all over the Mulege hills right in town that you can wander up, up, up to get a fabulous view of the pueblo, even the mesas far out to the west which divide the peninsula. You'll marvel at the beautiful little casas that are perched on the cliffs and tucked into the crannies of the hills around town.

Pompano - 4-14-2010 at 09:49 AM

For sure, Mulegena...a lot of photo ops back there on those trails, including the interesting Chinese cemetery.

Mulegena - 4-14-2010 at 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
For sure, Mulegena...a lot of photo ops back there on those trails, including the interesting Chinese cemetery.

Ok Nomads, this is where our collective ears pick up...
"What Chinese cemetery, Pompano?" :O:?:

Bob H - 4-14-2010 at 12:02 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Roger, I'm really enjoying this thread.... any images of El Candil? Really miss that place.
Bob H

Bob..I have lots of Candil photos. Here's a couple old ones of a friend walking outside the place, a route he took almost every day for many years.

Cypress...I have some photos of that place, too..and will try manana to put them here. Ciao.

I remember him walking by El Candil while I was sitting there sipping a margie. He would feel along the green window frames as he walked by. Sometimes pausing to take a break.

Thanks for the memories.
Bob h

Pompano - 4-14-2010 at 01:20 PM

Quote:
I remember him walking by El Candil while I was sitting there sipping a margie. He would feel along the green window frames as he walked by. Sometimes pausing to take a break.

Thanks for the memories.
Bob h

Yes, a habit of many walks. Indeed he was a remarkable Baja icon and good friend for so many years in Mulege. Just another good reason why Mulege is so special.

So glad I have this original watercolor of him to bring back the memories.

Rest in peace..y via con Dios, amigo.

Here's a lot younger version...

...but we were BOTH a lot younger back then.

The building he is standing in front of is the old Mulege post office. Nowadays it is Ruben's Farmacia ..across from the town square.
:rolleyes:

[Edited on 12-8-2013 by Pompano]

Bob H - 4-14-2010 at 07:28 PM

Here's my last image of "Rudolfo" (was that his name) walking across the street from El Candil along that old building over there. Probably 5 years ago. Bob H

Byron - 4-15-2010 at 07:54 AM

I like how his clothes match the background.
sorry my picture is to large to post
[Edited on 4-15-2010 by Byron]

image-9.jpg - 45kB

Mulege Mirror on Adolfo

Pompano - 4-15-2010 at 08:26 AM

Quote:
Here's my last image of "Rudolfo" (was that his name?) walking across the street from El Candil along that old building over there. Bob H

My avatar...most everyone who has spent time in Mulege over the last 50 years knows of this fine old character. He has passed from the scene now, but his memory lives on.
I knew him for many years as Rudolfo..but that's a private joke on me. His real name is/was Adolfo and here is a thread about him..and his passing:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=23108#pid2107...

Mexrick - 4-15-2010 at 09:45 AM

Hey Pompano... Remember "Bongo Johnnie" and Sue? Speaking of old characters and drinking.

Adolfo... may he Rest in Peace!! Great guy.

Pompano - 4-15-2010 at 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexrick
Hey Pompano... Remember "Bongo Johnnie" and Sue? Speaking of old characters and drinking.

Adolfo... may he Rest in Peace!! Great guy.

John & Sue..now THERE was a pair of kooks! I best let Capt Mike or you describe them in better detail. I know I have a few photos of them in their sky-bar above Sam's Place and Donna Moe's Pizza. I will search my morgue for them to unearth the pair.

BJ & Sue

Mexrick - 4-15-2010 at 10:51 AM

If there ever were two Space Cadets destined for each other, it was those two! Nice people but totally wasted all the time... forever!!! My remembrance of Sue was when she was skinny dipping in front of Geary's at Burro. Gives me the shivers just to conger up that image!!! Darn. Now I'll have to take a lap around a rosary!!

Cheers and bring on the brew!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cypress - 4-15-2010 at 11:04 AM

Pompano, Kep the pictures and stories coming. Looking forward to the next batch. Thanks for sharing.:spingrin:

MULEGE'S BAY OF CONCEPTION - APRIL 15, 2010

Pompano - 4-16-2010 at 03:50 AM

A trip to Mulege would not be complete without at least a day or two on the beaches of Conception Bay. Without a doubt the prettiest bay in Baja.

When I took these photos yesterday, April 15, 2010, all the beaches were fairly deserted..tons of room for campers.

PLAYA SANTISPAC

PLAYA SANTISPAC LAGOON

PLAYA COCOS

PLAYA COCOS

PLAYA BURROS ANCHORAGE

PLAYA COYOTE

PLAYA COYOTE

CALM WATERS OF BAHIA DE CONCEPCION - PERFECTO

Cypress - 4-16-2010 at 05:18 AM

Pompano, Perfecto!:yes:

Vince - 4-16-2010 at 10:30 AM

Can't wait to get back. Is Patricio still on the beach? We are off to Yucatan beaches next week (Playa del Carmen and south), hard to beat those playas on Conception, tho.

Phil S - 4-16-2010 at 01:14 PM

Roger. The recent photos of the southern beaches. In Feb. & Mar, did they look anything like Aprils photo's.???? Or was there some activity. Thanks for the photos. I love this thread. I haven't a clue how to drive to your casa when we drive down to Loreto & Nopolo & Cabo. Certainly do want to do so. Want to talk about your fishing experiences on the Umpqu river. Evere fish Diamond Lake up the North Umpqua?
Phil & Wendy See ya for sure this November. Providing we don't get highjacked on the way down. lol lol lol

Pompano - 4-17-2010 at 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vince
Can't wait to get back. Is Patricio still on the beach? We are off to Yucatan beaches next week (Playa del Carmen and south), hard to beat those playas on Conception, tho.

Hi Vince...yes, as far as I know, Patricio is still on the beach. Wow..love the Yucatan! Take some good pics of those clear waters next week, amigo. Bien viaje.

Quote:
Originally posted by Phil S
Roger. The recent photos of the southern beaches. In Feb. & Mar, did they look anything like Aprils photo's.???? Or was there some activity. Thanks for the photos. I love this thread. I haven't a clue how to drive to your casa when we drive down to Loreto & Nopolo & Cabo. Certainly do want to do so. Want to talk about your fishing experiences on the Umpqu river. Evere fish Diamond Lake up the North Umpqua?
Phil & Wendy See ya for sure this November. Providing we don't get highjacked on the way down. lol lol lol

Hola Phil S,

The BOC beaches are at their busiest from December until April. February and March will see a brisk camping business on most easy-access beaches.

As you can see, it is almost vacant here now. Why? Because Spring is not just for Baja...It's bursting out all over! Most perennials leave for their places Up North to enjoy their own beautiful season. From now until October we will see many European campers, who seem to enjoy the heat a little more than most norteamericanos, plus they are usually of a younger generation and more basic-style campers.

Hope to see you in November on your way south. Safe journeys, amigo.

North River Road - Mulege

Pompano - 4-27-2010 at 06:02 AM

Yesterday.

I just liked the look .. and needed to test the camera after dropping it on the sidewalk.

mulegemichael - 4-27-2010 at 06:30 AM

....didn't i detect an antenna sticking out of the water in one of those pictures of playa coyote?

bajabass - 4-27-2010 at 07:15 AM

Thanks Pompano! The bay is looking as pristine as ever. The wife is in La Paz about a permanent position today. Looks like we should be moving soon. San Bruno and the bay will be my first two stops on the way south with my boat. Please keep the great pics coming, they are great motivators!!

Pompano - 4-27-2010 at 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
....didn't i detect an antenna sticking out of the water in one of those pictures of playa coyote?

Yes, Mike.. I noticed that phenomenon myself early last Saturday morning. I wondered about it briefly....and then had to go fishing. I don't see it out there anymore. :?:

willyAirstream - 4-27-2010 at 08:23 AM

Quote:
I just liked the look .. and needed to test the camera after dropping it on the sidewalk.

Whatever you do, Don't loose your camera!!! I would have nothing to dream about with my morning coffee :o Thanks again for your pics.

Pompano - 5-4-2010 at 07:04 AM

The Santispac Stalker

Ah..Closer..closer...just a bit more....then lunchtime!

Sometimes less is more...

Mulege's Starbucks

A new find (for me anyway)..a good cup of coffee and some killer brownies at this shop across from the water store downtown Mulege.

bajabass - 5-4-2010 at 07:20 AM

Mornin' Pompano! The skiff in the 2nd photo, the one with the motor, is a lot like my "Sancha". I plan on taking that and a 19cc to La Paz with me. I plan on leaving the cc in La Paz at home, and using the skiff for easy towing and exploring between Santa Rosalia and the East Cape. On most days will the skiff work for inshore BCS fishing? Easy on gas, easy to beach launch, and very fast on relatively calm water with the Suzuki 40 on the back.

k-rico - 5-4-2010 at 07:40 AM

We were at Santispac for a couple of weeks late last month.

Warm but not hot days.

Cool but not cold nights.

Crystal clear, warm water.

Gentle breezes.

Few other campers, but not empty.

Hot tamale morning room service.

Fresh fish, shrimp, and lobster afternoon room service.

Many opportunities to increase the t-shirt supply. Friendly vendors.

Plenty of time to spend lounging around in the reading room:

palapa.jpg - 49kB

Pompano - 5-4-2010 at 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabass
Mornin' Pompano! The skiff in the 2nd photo, the one with the motor, is a lot like my "Sancha". I plan on taking that and a 19cc to La Paz with me. I plan on leaving the cc in La Paz at home, and using the skiff for easy towing and exploring between Santa Rosalia and the East Cape. On most days will the skiff work for inshore BCS fishing? Easy on gas, easy to beach launch, and very fast on relatively calm water with the Suzuki 40 on the back.

Piece of cake with your Sancha, bajabass. The SOC is no worse than a big lake most of the time, just use your usual common sense. Years ago, I trailered and fished most of it with a 16ft Lund aluminum skiff w/40HP tiller Johnson and had no major problems..just windbound a few times. With your trouble-free Susie, you'll have no problems. Have fun out there!

bajabass - 5-4-2010 at 08:30 AM

Thanks Pompano, I plan on it!:biggrin:

Trueheart - 5-4-2010 at 10:26 AM

Pompano:

Thanks for a great adventure with your pics and comments. Thoroughly enjoying this thread. Just spent 6 weeks in PC, and of course, a fair amount of time in Mulege. Was there for this year's chili cook off and had a blast. Been to a several of the places you show, but far from all of them. Can't wait to get back down and experience more.

Steve

Martyman - 5-4-2010 at 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Trueheart
Pompano:

Thanks for a great adventure with your pics and comments. Thoroughly enjoying this thread. Just spent 6 weeks in PC, and of course, a fair amount of time in Mulege. Was there for this year's chili cook off and had a blast. Been to a several of the places you show, but far from all of them. Can't wait to get back down and experience more.

Steve

Where is PC?

Trueheart - 5-4-2010 at 11:47 AM

My abbreviation for Punta Chivato.

ALEX...a favorite fishing guide & barkeeper.

Pompano - 5-10-2010 at 08:30 AM

Alejandro/Alex...one of Mulege's finest fishing guides..(and most humorous I might add)....

... plus the manager, bartender, floorsweeper of the Mezquite Bar in downtown Mulege.

El Mezquite Bar..a good place to talk fishing while quenching your thirst.

"Take a Message to.....Pepe?"

Pompano - 5-31-2010 at 08:09 AM

On thing about Mulege parking - makes for great Dust Notes.

Creative, Isaac...bravo.
Y buene suerte, just saw you in the square.

WEDDING DAY!!

Pompano - 5-31-2010 at 09:26 AM

Well, I woke up early today..and something was on my mind.

Ever had one of those days? Something foggy nagging at your brain. What could it be?...sure bugging as I head to the kitchen for my morning java..hmm..what's so dang special about today?

THEN..it hit me like a ton of tamales.

Ay Carumba!! Of course! It's.....

......Time for great rejoicing!

There's a wedding today!

Noo...not us..been there, done that...
:rolleyes:

It's my good 'amicos' from Italy...Roberto and Daniela. They wanted the service at the old mission. Great choice.
Congratulations and Bravissimo! Una bella ceremonia.

Padre Daniel does the honors. What a great guy..as you will see in some future posts.

note: I may have 'swooned' here..it's all a fogged memory..Co-Pilot is bracing me.

The traditional rice throw...Stateside, Italy, Baja..all the same.

Drive them safely to the reception, Fabio! (He should be a good driver...his job is flying passenger jets for Alitalia..same as Roberto. Kudos to all, salud!.)

Y'know...There's always something happening in Mulege...like maybe a reception at Ray's later?...and a party at Ana's?...and a dinner at Equipales?. Little voices tell me it just may happen.....:rolleyes:

Lauriboats - 5-31-2010 at 11:19 AM

Beautiful wedding, it was really nice meeting the bride at Equipales the other night, give them my best.

bacquito - 6-14-2010 at 09:39 AM

Good reading. It has been some time since I was in Mulage but I hope to return soon.

Barry A. - 6-14-2010 at 09:51 AM

Fun stuff, Pomp----------thanks for posting this happy, funny story and pics.

Barry

PUB CRAWL THRU MULEGE - 2010

Pompano - 1-16-2011 at 09:26 AM

Certain recent activities have reminded me that it's Time to Update the Mulege Mirror with a ramble through some of the dives..uh..finest cantinas....that Mulege has to offer!

Note: If any Baja Nomads were accidentally photographed in the following series...too bad and tough luck. Your wives will have known about this a few months ago, anyway.

We begin with a toast.. "To all the bars I've loved before."

What better way to begin ..a smile from Zulema is most welcome.

I know I know this place...?? Just can't think of it right off the top. It will come to me, I'm sure...

In the meantime, Gunda Din, we better have another round..

And don't forget his lordship, the mayor of London.

Hola Hotel Serinadad...my first watering hole from the early 70's..and still a favorite. Gracies, Sr. Johnson.

Doney's (Mely) always has a cold one for me..along with an early breakfast. :rolleyes:

Hmmm...been a while since we had a cold one here...oh, well, some new renter will come along any day now. Like all the ones before...

Hey, the O'Leary twins? No...wait..it's Club el Burro and Manuel! At Bertha's Beach Bash Cantina.

In my neighborhood vicinty: Ana's Cafe, Santispac. A hole in the wall refuge for Woodstock veterans.

The only continous Happy Hour bar in the Bay. Roger's Rookery. free beer and pool, plus mystery sandwiches, and pickled walleye.

Above: Warning..More than a week of Happy Hours at the 'Rookery' could get you 86'ed and also lead to you looking like the above threesome.

Ah..a new place under the bridge. Could shape up to be a good hang-out. Called..A New Place Under The Bridge.

It attracts ALL kinds of people.

The drinks seem to be ...a little strong for me. But hey, next time I will limit myself to just 6 shots of Don Julio.

Now here we find some ambiance..and maybe if we are lucky...Father Daniel will still be there playing his guitar. How about a little 'Beach Boys', padre? He's a fine player & singer.

Can"t quite remember which pub this was..my mind was elsewhere ...:rolleyes:

Of course, no cantina crawl would be complete in Mulege without a beer and burger. Wipe off your chin, Co-Pilot..got a little ketchup going there..

Oklay, thats' today's batch of Mulege pubs that we've crawled recently..the remaing 56 on file will have to wait until after my liver transplant.

DENNIS - 1-16-2011 at 09:58 AM

If the rest of the world knew you were living like that, you would have a lot of company.

Thanks for the "crawl", Roger.

Jesus is an Excellent Outboard Mechanic in Mulege

Pompano - 2-9-2011 at 02:20 PM

I felt this great mechanic needed a post of his own...so here it is.

The other day I took my boat/engine into town to see about getting it to run properly.

Engine start was dead...nada, nothing. Battery bank checks out fully charged. Gauges working, bilges, bait tanks, everything checked out A-OK. Still would not fire up..

Jesus found the problem..after an expert inspection.

The outboard whiz mechanic of Mulege...Jesus.

He..with the help of his father...checked out my fairly complicated Evinrude 115 E-Tec outboard. Checking fuses, connections, nuetral linkage, oil supply, and then ran a little check on the engine computer. Nada.

Then Jesus takes a good look at the ignition switch..turns it on, off, on off..seeing the gauges work..hmm..everything
except engine START. He gets the instrument panel off and inspects the back of the ignitiion component. ..
"aha.. you pulled a ignition wire loose..see here?"

Yup..operator error.

Jesus Romero Drew
Cell: 615-155-8442
Casa: 15-3-04-23

Jesus's shop is located in the barrio just south of the Serinadad. Take the Serinadad road in and look for the shop with all the boats and engines..to the left and next to a little tienda.

This time it was an easy fix..the next time???

Put your faith in Jesus.
He's an expert outboard mechanic and can solve your problems.

mulegemichael - 2-9-2011 at 03:03 PM

i second the jesus endorsement ....he's worked on our boats many times..and he's GOOD!

'SR. GECKO' - New Internet Cafe and Computer Repair

Pompano - 2-10-2011 at 08:35 AM

HUGO FIXED MY COMPUTER PROBLEM :yes:

”There was no question about it, my computer was locked up like a crazy aunt in a dark, secluded attic.”

So I took it to Hugo at the new Sr. Gecko internet café.

Below is the 'old Palapa cafe'...Saul behind the counter.

The new Sr. Gecko is next door to Saul’s old Palapa roadside café. But don’t look for Saul (above) or the Palapa anymore..that café is closed and Saul has moved to La Paz and a new café endeavor.

El Gecko
This almost-new business is just starting to burgeon in Mulege.
(aha! …a first!...I have now used the word ‘burgeon’ in my scribblings. That milestone makes me feel...feel...uh...well, oddly thirsty...?)

Mulege’s handiest internet café.
Great, new internet café with food, drinks, computer repair/restoring, and fine hosts...Hugo & Josefina.

Hugo fixed my laptop’s problem, plus installed a great multiple photo re-sizer program. Good quick computer repair..( even quicker if Hugo and amigo, Bob, had not lingered so long reviewing my pc's Baja Co-Pilots folder.) :rolleyes:

I am a very satisfied customer and recommend taking your pc problems to Sr. Gecko.

Look for thier Grand Opening..which should happen very soon. (..unless it was yesterday?? Hey, it's Baja, and I lose track of days..)
:yes:

Cypress - 2-10-2011 at 08:55 AM

Pompano, Thanks for the photo tour. It's time to go fishing.:D

mulegemichael - 2-10-2011 at 11:17 AM

pomp....i agree that sr. gecko is a great place to eat...and their grand opening is friday night....however...when we had breakfast there yesterday morning a japanese lady was in there skyping her relatives or something in japan...she had her headphones on and was literally screaming in japanese the entire time we were in there...a little hard to enjoy breakfast with those conditions....it would be nice if hugo would allow folks who want to talk to use the backroom so his other customers wouldn't have to listen to the gibberish..my thoughts.

Pompano - 2-10-2011 at 11:26 AM

I agree, Mike...it's like those playing-a-role characters who talk in public places on thier cellphones..so loud the person on the other end could hear them without the phone connection!

I was on a boat where a bad accident happened with a cellphone. A fellow was rudely and loudly yakking about nothing on his cellphone while we were out on a fishing day.

How that cellphone ever fell into the water, will probably be forever a mystery.:biggrin:

AEROMEDICS FLY-IN AT MULEGE

Pompano - 2-13-2011 at 07:34 AM

This last Saturday was a special event at the Serinadad Resort in Mulege. A gathering of flying medical people…Aeromedics. A good feast for a good cause.

30 or so small planes were on the pista.

Thanks to all these volunteers who donate their time and efforts to improve life in some far-off Baja places.

[Edited on 3-5-2011 by Pompano]

LaTijereta - 2-13-2011 at 08:08 AM

Let's not forget the "Guest of Honor"...

News Flash.."Tom Higgenbottom's 80th birthday!"

Pompano - 2-13-2011 at 11:21 PM

Tom told me the other day that he and Patty came to Mulege in the mid-70's. I remember that first meeting.. 'back in the day.' He went on to say that of all the hundreds of people they met..I was the first..and am the only one left from that era of Baja. :wow:

Hmmm...last man standing, so to speak..still above ground level...not taking the dirt nap yet? :O Best not dwell too long on that one, right?

Hey, it's a great day to celebrate!

"Feliz Cumpleaños, Tomas."

"GOOD PARTY, McCLINTOCK!! MORE WHISKY!"

The party was held at the El Candil cafe, a great cantina restored/rebuilt by another old amigo, Matt (Mateo) Mathews. RIP

This photo shows MacyMan at the bar...and, yes, that's a napkin he's pulling out of his nose....?? I'm not going to ask..nope. :?:

A merry time was had by all.

"Roger, your fly is open.."

John H. won an award for being the best-dressed guest. A digital camera to match his shirt.

Tom relates this gem:

- An 85-year-old man was requested by his doctor for a sperm count as part of his physical exam.

The doctor gave the man a jar and said, "Take this jar home and bring back a semen sample tomorrow."

The next day the 85-year-old man reappeared at the doctor's office and gave him the jar, which was as clean and empty as on the previous day.

The doctor asked, what happened and the man explained.

"Well, doc, it's like this--first I tried with my right hand, but nothing. Then I tried with my left hand, but still nothing. Then I asked my wife for help. She tried with her right hand, then with her left, still nothing.

She tried with her mouth, first with the teeth in, then with her teeth out, still nothing. We even called up Arleen, the lady next door and she tried too, first with both hands, then an armpit, and she even tried squeezin' it between her knees, but still nothing."

The doctor was shocked! "You asked your neighbor?"

The old man replied, "Yep, none of us could get the jar open."

capt. mike - 2-14-2011 at 06:46 AM

Tom is one of my fav baja characters.
if you see this Tom, happy B day and best to Patty too!

Cypress - 3-4-2011 at 02:21 PM

Thanks, Looks like everybody was having a good time.:yes:

BornFisher - 3-4-2011 at 02:23 PM

The band looks familiar. Is this them??
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NyMXahpRVV4

woody with a view - 3-5-2011 at 07:18 AM

looks like a cool bunch of people having fun, which is what it is all about.

RIGHT?

Bob H - 3-5-2011 at 07:57 AM

Wow, looks like a great time.... lot's of Cougars! LOL:bounce:

Big Band Dance Night at Ana's Santispac

Pompano - 3-5-2011 at 07:58 AM

“FAST EDDY AND THE SLOW LEARNERS”

GREAT NIGHT LAST NIGHT!! One of Mulege and The Bay’s premier events went off with a BIG BANG last night at Ana’s Santispac.

A local band of eccentric boys calling themselves …

.. ‘Fast Eddy and The Slow Learners’..

…performed in front of multitudes of live band fans and dancers.

Now this was a truly great time…and reminiscent to this writer of the Good Ol Days at the Serinadad Resort on those long ago Saturday night pig fiestas. (That was when everyone in the area got social ..and together…sometimes even with their own wives and husbands. Oh, yeah. The motto “What happens in Mulege, ..stays in Mulege.” began in that era.)

I was running a little late, because I had forgotten again what day this was. When I arrived by 7 or so the joint was jumping already.

The parking lot (the beach) had about 120 cars, vans, pickups, dunebuggies, sandrails, 4 wheelers, motorcycles, mopeds, a snowmobile, and 35 electric wheelchairs. 2 ambulances stood at the ready to revive over-exerted dancers, plus one backup Pacifico truck for Russ’s bar.

I ambled on in, to check out the action in the caberet. I was solo.

“Hi, Rog. Do you need help getting up?”

It may have been the 2 double martinis I had drank on my patio, but a faint, accented voice kept running thru my head, “Quando il gatto non c'è i topi ballano.” Not knowing enough Italian, I ignored the voice. Anyway, I mostly listen to tackle boxes.

Some veteran Walmart greeters were on loan for the night. :rolleyes:

Opps…maybe I should have called ahead for a table? I quickly solved the problem by shouting out: ”Hey, there’s a white pickup on fire in the parking lot!”

The Band: “Fast Eddy and The Slow Learners”

The band was playing magnificently ....Bravo!
Somehow I got the impression that Macy had super-glued his harmonica to his lips? No more vermouth for me.

MacyMan goes into a grooving rendition of.. White Christmas. Why?.. who knows?? Macy marches to a different drum…on another planet.

The mating dance of Conception Bay Denizens is a remarkable event… filled with danger.

Almost no fatal collisions.

I only counted one body on the floor. Lauriboats had lost her dancing partner to a difficult tango maneuver. Oh, well…Jim is right over there.

Welcome to the Bar. Better known as The Sea of Tranquility.

The cast members:
{Please do not copy/paste to any US authority.)

He fell for her like his heart was a mob informant, and she was the East River.

And that’s the way it was. March 3rd, 2011 Ana’s Big Band Night. .and you were there.

Bob H - 3-5-2011 at 08:06 AM

Quote:
Thanks, Bob.... I love Mulege and Baja, too, plus I'm a camera bug. Have been since my Brownie Hawkeye days.

Photo number would be a good guess at best right now, but I could easily find out, I suppose. This Baja photo-disc I have in the computer today shows there are 3532 photos on it. I've got 5 other discs done and a few more to do from old and new camcorder recordings...my fun winter project for when the winds keep me off the water.

That's amazing...... keep'm com'n. Love all of it!

I almost fell off my bar stool.

mcfez - 3-5-2011 at 06:07 PM

This guy in the red circle..is identical to what I look like. My wife thought it was me! Just his beard is a tab longer than mine.

Untitled-3.jpg - 36kB

woody with a view - 3-5-2011 at 06:19 PM

i think it is a "tad" longer, but what do i know?:rolleyes:

[Edited on 3-6-2011 by woody with a view]

dtbushpilot - 3-5-2011 at 08:22 PM

It looks like he is hurling down Roz's back:lol::lol:

mulegemichael - 3-5-2011 at 09:01 PM

...took a whole roll of paper towels!

Pompano - 3-5-2011 at 10:09 PM

mcfez,

Just talked to your bearded twin tonight at the Prom Party....

...his name is Patrick, from Los Angeles. He says he grew up with you?

[Edited on 3-6-2011 by Pompano]

BornFisher - 3-5-2011 at 10:28 PM

Well that`s mcfez for you!! Blaming your bad behavior on your "twin" brother!! We`re on to you mcfez................................... we know that old trick of blaming your twin brother for disorderly conduct!!
What a great party for a bunch of x-pats! Hope it`s repeated soon and often!!

[Edited on 3-6-2011 by BornFisher]

Bob H - 3-6-2011 at 05:31 AM

Man, some fantastic photos of people having a whole lot of FUN!

tad not tab

mcfez - 3-6-2011 at 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
i think it is a "tad" longer, but what do i know?:rolleyes:

[Edited on 3-6-2011 by woody with a view]

I was in the bar/club business too long "put it on my tab"...:o

I was from Los Angeles too :o

[Edited on 3-6-2011 by mcfez]

acadist - 3-6-2011 at 07:24 AM

Thanks for the info.....I will be in Mulege on a Saturday afternoon in late April before heading to La Paz on Sunday, hope there is some left for me;D
Quote:
One of the 'special treats' of Mulege is eating carnitas every Saturday at Taqueria Dannys. The cafe is located at the little square across from Manuel's grocery tienda and next door to the El Nino steakhouse bldg. Easy to find, just follow the one-way main street as you come into Mulege. Or...follow your nose...

Pompano - 3-6-2011 at 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by acadist
Thanks for the info.....I will be in Mulege on a Saturday afternoon in late April before heading to La Paz on Sunday, hope there is some left for me;D
Quote:
One of the 'special treats' of Mulege is eating carnitas every Saturday at Taqueria Dannys. The cafe is located at the little square across from Manuel's grocery tienda and next door to the El Nino steakhouse bldg. Easy to find, just follow the one-way main street as you come into Mulege. Or...follow your nose...

Hi acadist,

Sorry about the photo mishap in your post above..don't really know what happened there?..

... but we always have backups! Here's some shots of Mulege's best carnitas cafe.

hmm..lots of eaters heading there....I better beat them to my favorite stool.
;)

Damn..occupied already! You have GOT to get here early on Saturdays!! Hey, guys..who's that beauty in red? She's on my stool.

The original owner ...an always smiling Ramon. Rest in peace, old friend, you are missed.

Ramon's son, Antonio, carries on the family tradition and has the same flair as his father..a great Saturday treat!

Lorena is another great reason for stopping. What a smile..what a partner for a successful carnitas cafe.

I always leave room for some ranchero bean soup.

Viva Carnitas! Eat at Danny's!

Hey, thinking of food treats....it's almost time to head into Mulege for the. Annual Chili Contest. Where's my Tums?

See you later with some pics of another fun Mulege event.

Crazy4Fishing - 3-6-2011 at 09:20 AM

Great night, great fun, super pics Rog.

See you and your camera at the Chili Cookoff today

acadist - 3-6-2011 at 05:47 PM

Pompano,
That is the beauty of all your great pics....I was reading through all the great posts and did not realize that the thread started a couple of years ago. Still plan on getting my Mulege "fix" soon though. Have really only stayed in passing the last couple of years but have had some great times and fishing in your little corner of Baja.

This was on our way home from La Paz a couple of years ago with my daughter and my niece, we had leftover pompano ceviche and dorado in an amazing green sauce from the Tailhunter Bar. Picked up some fresh tortillas, Pacificos and limes from Pepe at the Cuesta Real and had an awesome picnic dinner.
Thank you for your great posts and humorous insights, it is a great reason to watch this board.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

!ATTENTION! - PEOPLE WATCHERS!

Pompano - 3-13-2011 at 05:36 AM

Yes....Attention, all you People Watchers!

Well, Mulege has yet another café. This one is really a bit different though, in that it looks out at the busiest intersection in downtown Mulege…sothat makes it a great place to eat and watch the village go by. Works for me and my camera...

Corona Café…owned and operated by Alvaro Padilla. Formerly this corner business was a phone store (back in the day when there were no public phones) and more currently a small grocery store. I like the new change to a street-side café and wish them good luck and lots of customers.

I began my breakfast with a good cup of coffee and a can of spray paint. Hmm…..? I could explain that..but why?

I ordered my favorite Baja breakfast…Huevos Rancheros. My eating habits are really lame. I’ve looked at thousands of breakfast menus in Baja over the years…reading every item on them….and always end up getting the huevos rancheros…am I in a rut or what? Oh well…maybe tomorrow I’ll try something different…like huevos rancheros with an English muffin!

A collage depicting “ The Life Span of Huevos Rancheros.”

All done….ahh…..it was muy sobroso!

GIVE IT A TRY NEXT TIME YOU ARE DOWNTOWN MULEGE…AND WATCH THE WORLD GO BY.

Bob and Susan - 3-13-2011 at 06:14 AM

hey Pompano were the tortillas fried or soft...nice presentation:bounce:

Russ - 3-13-2011 at 06:51 AM

Oh man I love FOOD!
That ice box has been on that corner for.....
What's with that? It is really in the way of foot traffic.

Pompano - 3-13-2011 at 06:57 AM

Hey Bob...

Those corn tortillas were just 'crispy'....the way I like 'em. You could eat them as 'finger food' as I once used to....

...but nowadays I am coerced into using the fork. :rolleyes:

Hendo - 3-13-2011 at 01:07 PM

how does the spray paint taste, #13 has always been my favorite.

MULEGE SCENES

Pompano - 3-14-2011 at 10:30 AM

THE LOCATION: NOT THAT LONG AGO…1994-1999. Mi amigo, Rudolfo/Adolfo sits on the steps below the bar.

bottom right are Sam & John Frisbee..Frisbee and Sue ran the rooftop bar..along with Dimas the bartender.

JUST THE OTHER DAY…nothing but a memory....the Corona Bar is just a footnote in Mulege's long bar history.

ALL THAT’S LEFT OF FRISBEE AND SUE’S ROOFTOP BAR. I found my old church key.....but that's not all....

PLus...…I FOUND THIS ETCHED INTO THE CONCRETE AT THE TOP OF THE OLD STAIRCASE….Hola Donna..wherever you are.

Thar be ghosts in dem dar bars...

======================================================================

PEPE'S HARDWARE STORE:

A rope and some cement..care to go fishing?

Pepe Yee's hardware tienda is one of my favorite shopping places in Mulege. He's got just about everything one needs regarding hardware, household supplies, and good selection of whatcha'ma'callits.....chingadores..

Hmmm...let's see now..just how much will I need?

Yup..that should do the trick.

"How many bags you want, Rogelio?"

This job will take at least one pallet.

If you show that you are sober, you can drive load them yourself with the forklift. Note: sDamage to your spickup is at your own rish..srich.....ahem.....risk.

SHOP AT PEPE'S.. for your next fishing trip!!

But don't even think of driving thier forklift...;)

======================================================================

“The Keymaker of Mulege”

As it happens every so often, the other day I needed an extra set of keys. Everybody needs extra keys, right? Houses, cars, boats, chastity belts, etc…always keys, keys, keys.

Here is where you can get your key duplicates made:

CERRAJERIA “ALBERTO”
Luis Alberto Romero Aquilar
R.F.C. ROAL.810911-110
Emiliano Zapata s/n, Col. Mission
Tel. 153-03-26, Mulege, B.C.S.

To get there, take the road near the highway bridge towards the Mulege Mission..and drive past it…

Soon you will see the baseball diamond and the new stadium being built….easy so far, right?

Yup, that’s it..right across from the baseball stadium.

The Key shop part of this tienda is too the left as you face it.

Alberto files and buffs the keys to perfection for a correct non-binding fit. I’ve never received a bad key yet….in many visits over the last few years.
Give him your business, you won’t regret it.

[Edited on 3-20-2011 by Pompano]

A Quiz......Guess whose?

Pompano - 3-23-2011 at 09:54 AM

This Mulege corner building once had some significance for a fellow Nomad. It is located across from the downtown laundromat and kitty-corner from Don Roberto's hardware store.

Can you guess who was here and what it was?

toneart - 3-23-2011 at 11:07 AM

Pompano's quiz: That was Bruce Leech's business. It was once a restaurant. In later years it was a money changing window and erstwhile pawn shop. Bruce has since moved to Ensenada and doesn't offend the spelling police any more with his posts.:o:spingrin:

Pompano - 3-23-2011 at 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
Pompano's quiz: That was Bruce Leech's business. It was once a restaurant. In later years it was a money changing window and erstwhile pawn shop. Bruce has since moved to Ensenada and doesn't offend the spelling police any more with his posts.:o:spingrin:

Right you are, Tony...cafe, money changing, pawn shop...and ecetera. (sp?)

Ice Cream! Get yer Ice Cream.....

Mulegena - 3-23-2011 at 12:32 PM

right across the street from Bruce's old house/business is La Michoacana, one of three ice cream shops in Mulege.

La Michoacana is a chain which you'll find in other towns and cities around Baja. It boasts the best all-round ice cream and frozen juice bars in the world, imo!

Pompano, can you or have you posted photos of the place?

Invite me and I'll treat you for your choice in the store-- sumpin' like the Tequila flavored double-scoop or would that be the fresh mango-chili frozen icee? Name the time, and I'll meet ya there.

Pompano - 3-23-2011 at 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
right across the street from Bruce's old house/business is La Michoacana, one of three ice cream shops in Mulege.

La Michoacana is a chain which you'll find in other towns and cities around Baja. It boasts the best all-round ice cream and frozen juice bars in the world, imo!

Invite me and I'll treat you for your choice in the store-- sumpin' like the Tequila flavored double-scoop or would that be the fresh mango-chili frozen icee? Name the time, and I'll meet ya there.

Done deal. I'll be stopping by to pick you up soon....soon. They must have double chocolate revel, si??

Pompano - 4-4-2011 at 05:54 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena

Done deal. I'll be stopping by to pick you up soon....soon. They must have double chocolate revel, si??

Dang it, Mulegena..I was just in that ice cream store a few days ago for a vanilla chocolate cone..and plumb forgot a photo for you.

To make it up, here's a quick Mulege city photo tour taken on March 7th, 2011:

A typical scene at the Pemex station...gas & tires...all in need of 'attention'. ;)

Manager Pepe...of the cozy Cuesta Real Motel and RV park. Also has a great cafe and special buffets.

We all have to stop at the Serinadad from time to time...a legendary Baja motel resort and airstrip..pista.

Part of hurricane damage shown on Rio Sta. Rosalia (Mulege River)

Mulege's new arch...for better or worse?

Mely stands in the doorway of his restaurant. Mely, remember when you were desk manager at the Serinadad and we talked that incoming out-of-fuel airplane down with the help of several cars shining thier headlights onto the darkened runway that fatefull night? The pilot brought it down on fumes...and safely, thanks to us...and was promptly arrested by the military for flying after dark. That was some night, amigo! Must have been around 1979-80 or so?

Mulege's munincipal building..post office, etc.

Go pick up your general delivery here.

The little park near the kindergarten and Pepe Yee's hardware tienda.

Downtown Pemex station. For 'city slickers'.

Best taco stand...at the square....Dimas & espousa

Alex the fishing guide's bar...El Mesquite

Soon to open new business..a storage/parking facility

Might be a challenge to get a real large RV in there...?

Need a bank and/or ATM..Bancomer's is here.

Mulege's Laundromat..I used to trade cabrilla for my washing here many years ago...'back in the day' :rolleyes:

My buddy's upper floor cafe..Francisco's Equipales..Leather Chairs. Good steaks and seafood.

Main intersection downtown Mulege.. the Cread boys and girls with thier coin boxes hang out here.

Dentists office above Alba's supermarket at the square.

A new cafe under the highway bridge..The Shack..funky and fun.

The water store..downtown. Thursday's half-price.

Just up the street from La Tienda...a great gift and clothing store. Buy it here from Claudia and Miguel. Quality products.

Next comes Mulege's finest.

If you ever zip off the tip of your little finger with a food slicer like I did ...heres' the local clinic with a sympathetic & cute nurse.

The Catholic church is right across the street.

Another little square across from Xavier's Las Casitas cafe.

The Saturday Carnitas place...Danny's...Antonio and Lorena as hosts. Simply good carnitas!..and ranchero soup.

Amigo Manuel's grocery store. Lots of fresh produce from his farm in the Mulege valley.

Saul's Market...lots of gringo goodies here...new supplies every week...even French Vanilla coffee creamer.

The old Donation Pier boat ramp.

The ramp and dock....as seen from the river estuary.

The lighthouse..and now vacant harbormasters building.

Munismom - 4-4-2011 at 08:16 PM

Thank you Pompano, you bring the magic of Baja to my screen..

acadist - 4-4-2011 at 08:26 PM

When did the bank go in? A few years ago was the last time I really stayed in Mulege, other than passing through on the way to La Paz, and we had to run to Santa Rosalia for the bank.

Pompano - 4-4-2011 at 10:23 PM

Quote:
When did the bank go in? A few years ago was the last time I really stayed in Mulege, other than passing through on the way to La Paz, and we had to run to Santa Rosalia for the bank.

acadist...Indeed, there was a bank in Mulege in the early 70's until a few years later when it closed it's doors. Around 1981 or so, I believe.

The present Bancomer has been in it's present location for about ...oh...4-5-6 years? Hey, it's Baja, who looks at a calendar?

ROTARY CLINIC OF MULEGE

Pompano - 4-9-2011 at 07:42 AM

What can one say about the Mulege Rotary Clinic?….simply one of the best charitable organizations in town, providing much needed medical and assistance services to the community at large. Nationals and foreigners alike benefit from the Rotary Club. One often hears the title 'Not-for-profit' and thinks, "Yeah, sure it is.."...but the Rotary Clinic is truly that, unless you count the satisfaction of doing good a 'profit' to your soul.

The purpose of Rotary International is the furthering of understanding and friendly relations among people of different nations through fostering of tangible and effective programs of philanthropic, charitable, educational or cultural in nature. The Rotary is indeed a not-for-profit corporation that is supported solely by voluntary contributions from Rotarians and friends of the Foundation who share its vision of a better world.

The Rotarian's Humanitarian Programs fund international Rotary club and district projects like Mulege to improve the quality of life, providing health care, clean water, food, education, and other essential needs primarily in the developing world.

For more info on why & how Rotarians do what they do, and what you can do.. read this:
http://district5110.org/RI/TheRotaryFoundation

Help given by Rotarians in The Great Floods of Mulegé

The three floods in the recent past were caused by hurricanes. “All started with the letter ‘J’ — John, Julio and Jimena.

Before I got here in 1971, there had been two floods on record. The floods of 1914 and 1955. Then since 2006, we had three floods — way too many!

Here my compadre, Manuel, shows me how high the mud and water was in his downtown Mulege store during Jimena. :wow:

It would fill this forum to list all the help to Mulege via the Rotary, so here's just one instance from the Flood.

Mosquito control help obtained via Rotarians:

Jimmy Christopher, a retired Californian and Rotary Club member who moved to our village in 1982, manages our small medical clinic, funded by the local Rotary Club, with volunteer doctors from all over the world. They also support the fire department with equipment donations and their yearly fundraiser, a sport fishing competition.

In the wake of the last devastating flood, Jimena, a mosquito spraying campaign was run to prevent dengue fever. The spray was natural, from chrysanthemum extract and really kept the mosquitoes under control.

Some other great help for Mulege (and other communities in Baja)...all interacting with the Rotary Club & Clinic.

The Flying Samaritans, Los Amigos Chapter, consist of a group of medical volunteers (general medicine doctors, dentists, gynecologists, pharmacists, chiropractors, pediatricians, gerontologists, etc.) who donate their time and their expertise one weekend a month to the clinic in Mulegé. Aeromedicos of Santa Barbara is another group of pilots and planes that help the Rotary and community of Mulege with their time, services, and generosity.

I recall an instance in 2005 when 2 dentists flying with Aeromicos saw 32 local children and gave them much needed dental help.

Bravo to all of these fine ‘samaritans’, from whichever club they come from.

Yesterday morning I visited the Rotary Clinic again. A visiting dermatologist MD was there and I had a regular checkup at 8 am. (A norski in the Baja sun is risky business.) Patsi Hodges, a volunteer worker who donates many days to the Clinic, told me that this particular expert MD is one of the most popular and experienced doctors they get each month. Lots of locals and expats come to see him and his assistant with skin problems. The very cheap 450 pesos donation per patient helps to generate a large percentage of the Clinic's warchest, which it needs to keep its' doors open.

I also have a gallon bag full of used eyeglasses to donate to the Rotary. Mostly readers for computers! :rolleyes:

I get a number…..hmmm…is that a 14? …better use one of my eyeglasses..

Here a local is asking about getting his son in to see the doctor quickly as the boy has to go to school pretty soon.

Patsi points..."Talk to Rogelio over there. He's next."

Well, I can see the kid is going to be Baja's governor when he grows up, so I donate my number to him. Hey, it can't hurt to hedge my bets.

Below..The next governor and a little companion. The Rotary Clinic even has a toy or two for kids to play with while waiting.

Okay, my little amigo, bring that back, I had it first!

Pompano - 4-16-2011 at 05:52 PM

Have you often wondered where all the CREAD guys came from...and what thier organization is all about? You probably most often notice them at Pemex stations as windshield cleaners for donations..or helping with other odd jobs...or collectiing donations with boxes at stop sign intersections...??

Here's some info for you...in case you were curious like me. ;)

CREAD -CREation Assembly and Delivery- is an inter-American non-profit distance education consortium, based at Nova Southeastern University (NSU) in South Florida, which supports the mission of CREAD in developing distance education at an inter-American level through inter- institutional cooperation.

CREAD was founded in 1990 at the International Council for Distance Education World Conference in Caracas, Venezuela. In 1994, CREAD became an independent consortium with executive offices at Penn State and in 2003 the executive offices were moved to Nova Southeastern University.

The vision of CREAD is to be the premier consortium for distance education for North, Central and South America, and to provide opportunities for improving educational quality, sharing information and finding greater strength through institutional cooperation.

Nova Southeastern University is an independent, fully accredited, coeducational institution founded in 1964 as Nova University. The university is internationally known for innovation and quality in both traditional and distance education. Currently, NSU has approximately 73,000 alumni and 19,000 students enrolled in programs in 23 states and 9 countries, and the university continues to grow.

In Mulege. another of CREAD's money-making activities is a convenient and cheap car wash via water buckets at the downtown square.

And for a very reasonable 50 peso donation, my best Baja ride shines again! 1999 DODGE 2500 CUMMINS - 487,000 miles and still strong!

BajaBlanca - 4-16-2011 at 06:24 PM

wonderful thread ... such fun to read...and then reread .... and months later, read again. Thanks for sharing your corner of this wonderful Baja.

bajamedic - 4-16-2011 at 10:01 PM

And I thought I was the only one that keeps coming back to reread this one. JH

Bob H - 4-16-2011 at 10:57 PM

Just outstanding stuff Roger! It just never gets old.

Mike99km - 4-17-2011 at 09:38 AM

Roger,
Thank you! The insight is just to good. You make that little town sing.

toneart - 4-17-2011 at 09:44 AM

Regarding Crread, I have them wash my truck while having lunch at Scotty's. They tell me that the organization here in Baja is a drug and alcohol rehab center.

One of the truck washers was a very presentable 17 year old American boy. He spoke perfect English and Spanish. He said his father is Mexican/American and his mother is Caucasian. He said he was running with the wrong crowd in L.A. and his parents shipped him down here to rehab at Cread. He and the others I talked to really like the program and they seem very serious about their rehabilitation.

While they are a bit of a nuisance around town aggressively shaking their donation cans, they back off politely if you say no. I sometimes donate and sometimes don't. But it is for a good cause, and if they wash your vehicle, they do an excellent job...and cheaper than the carwash stations.

I am happy to help those who are willing to help themselves.

[Edited on 4-17-2011 by toneart]

November 2011 - EL GECKO - FOR THE BEST TORTILLA SOUP!

Pompano - 4-17-2011 at 10:38 AM

A ‘tasteful’ way to resurrect this 2009 Mulege café thread is to applaud the roadside internet cafe south of Mulege and insert it where it belongs....here in The Mulege Mirror thread.

El Gecko was good before, but’s it’s VUNDERBAR now!

EL GECKO TORTILLA SOUP...FINEST KIND!

I can’t say enough good things about this place...and the wonderful soup.

My current ‘Numero Uno’ in Mulege. I had a honest-to-goodness Gastronomic Holy Happening there yesterday during the Omaha poker game…at El Gecko’s.... the very accessible-with tons of parking for any size rigs-roadside restaurant-

…….and internet café.
...whew, now that was a mouthful!

Get online while having breakfast, lunch, or dinner rom anywhere in this large and roomy cafe.

It was the best tortilla soup I have ever the pleasure to eat…con mucho gusto! It’s a light meal in itself and by far the best homemade soup in town. Can you tell I love this soup??

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I would have passed it by, because it is NOT on the menu, but a poker buddy, Dennis, said to try it, as he thought it was muy sabroso. Gracias, Dennis, you were right on!

Made and served by the chef AND bartender, Jesus,(pending approval, I'll get his photo here soon) ..that luncheon soup was a surprise treat for me…as I don’t often order tortilla soup these days..after so many disappointments.

Note: Jesus is the son of Saul – below - who was owner/manager, chef of the old Palapa café next door to El Gecko’s.

Saul, who now operates a flourishing taco cafe in La Paz, owns the El Gecko building and leases it to the new & charming El Gecko café operators, Hugo and Josefina.

Here’s Hugo with his normal happy face…but this time it was a bit different…he was grinning like a Cheshire cat….like he had something special to share?

Indeed...He then told me something very special about that tortilla soup I'd just savored. He swore it was an old family recipe courtesy of Jesus, and Family Legend has it that eating it makes you irresistible to the opposite sex. Me? I was a little skeptical….at first. But later…..

Shazzam! Whammo...out of the park! Home run!

(note to self: get soup sample analyzed asap.)

Simply a great place to eat and have fun….tortilla soup or not!
All fine & happy people, which makes the place a WINNER! After all, who wants to be served by some grumpy & surly putz? Hah! Yeah.. "…b-b-bad to the b-b-b-b- BONE! " :rolleyes:

Oh yeah...This place rocks!

[Edited on 11-23-2011 by Pompano]

Mulege Mirror - On the town...'or in the Bay'

Pompano - 11-27-2011 at 07:24 PM

Welcome to Ana's Restaurant and Cantina, Playa
Santispac, Bahia de Concepcion.

From about November thru May, the management of Ana's..being Russ and Lupe, have started their own style of the
Saturday Night Pig Roast tradition...in the Bay. :yes:

This has been happening for a couple or more years now, and it's a must-do for anyone wanting a good meal and a good time. Mostly an americano home-owner & tourist crowd from the Bay, as it is a bit of a drive from Mulege with some nasty curves.

Note on Pigs: If you know Baja Sur at all, you will most likely recall the long-famous Fly-In Serinadad Resort in Mulege has had a Sat Pig Roast for many decades. The Serinadad has slowed a bit these last few years, although it still has an occasional spurt of action from various plane and event groups.

So...it was Saturday all day yesterday at Ana's for me.

First, Texas Hold-Em poker fun. From noon until... losing my 'chips and a chair'. Nuff said about that fiasco except this ignored advice...

"Your best chance to get a Royal Flush is in the bathroom" :rolleyes:

Ana's also hosts art classes..with some very talented artists.[i/]

After the poker game/fiasco, it was on to having some fine barbequed roast pork by Russ:

"Yup...it's dead."

Whew....that would smart a bit....:wow:

"The pork is roasting nicely...and so is my hand.

FINE DINING AND... 'DANCING WITH THE STARS'...or at least under them. :rolleyes:

And some rollicking-fun times in the cantina with our happy barmaster Pepe:

Hmm....there's something not quite right with this photo??

All in all, a good Baja Time! Bravo, Russ & Lupe! Salud and Muchas Gracias.....

.....and remember..."What Happens in the Bay, stays in the Bay!"

BajaBlanca - 11-27-2011 at 09:47 PM

boy ... that looks like quite a crowd you had there at Ana's ....and everyone is having a good time by the look of it ! maybe one day we can check it out ...

absinvestor - 11-28-2011 at 03:36 PM

We haven't had much luck finding good fresh vegetables. Can't place "Mini Super Celina"- can you give a better description of where it is located? Thanks
 Pages:  1  2