BajaNomad

Malarimo Beach (better late than never)

dtbushpilot - 7-29-2008 at 11:15 AM

This trip took place on Christmas day 2006. I know it's a little dated but I doubt that things have changed much.

Ever since I've been coming to Baja a trip to Malarimo Beach has been on my to do list, you know, that list of 1000 things to do before you die. I am fortunate to have a wife that enjoys Baja adventure as much as I do (that's what she says) and supports my adventurous spirit. So, after a little discussion we decided to put the camper on the truck and head out. I've never had this rig in any serious off road conditions and to tell you the truth, I was a little worried about how it would do in the soft sand that I knew I would encounter. I had nightmares of the truck being buried to its axles in sand in some remote place but Jill was quick to point out that we would be in the camper with lots of food and adult beverages and if that were to happen it would make for a great trip report.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

We took off from San Diego, stopped at Rancho San Inez for a late lunch and made it to Gurrero Negro a little after dark. Had a wonderful Christmas Eve dinner at the Malarimo Hotel and headed out early the next morning. After gassing up at Viscaino we drove to the end of the pavement and let a little air out of the tires.

[img][/img]

Missed the turn off just like the book said I would, headed back, turned off on the single track road and headed north.

Tha road was worse than I had anticipated, so much so that I considered turning back but Jill would have none of that, I promissed her adventure and by golly I was going to deliver. After 8 or 10 miles of pitching and swaying and bouncing I decided to stop and have a look in the camper. It looked like a bomb had gone off...a BIG bomb. The contents of all the cabinets were on the floor, the stereo was hanging out of the wall suspended by the wiring and the microwave was wedged at a 45 degree angle out of the wall preparing to join the stereo swinging by it's cord. I slowly closed the door and backed away. Returning to the cab I found my lovely wife with a cold beer waiting for me. "How's everything back there" she asked......great baby, just great......

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

So, off we went. There were a couple of places that I felt the need to stop and walk ahead to check things out before continuing on and had to do a little "road building" in a place or two but things were actually going pretty well. At one point we hit a smooth stretch where we hit 20 mph. I commented that I had been hoping that the road would be like this most of the way at which Jill replied "what fun would that be?"......God I love that girl......

As we approached the coast the road (when there was one) got softer and softer. There were areas where the road was covered with blow sand and more than a bit scary. I focused on keeping the truck moving forward and didn't dare slow down or stop. We passed several places where others had been stuck with evidence of a lot of digging and misery.

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

I had heard that if you see the water, you've gone too far. I'm not sure how you are supposed to know where it is if you don't see it and since the road was REALLY soft I didn't dare slow down or stop to look for it. I could smell the salt water and we rounded a curve, there it was....but I still couldn't stop for a few hundred more feet. I came to a stop in the middle of the road and declared us there!

[img][/img]
no, I'm not riding a chicken...those are my legs....

We set up camp and headed out for our beachcoaming adventure with thoughts of Japaneese hand blown glass fishing net floats and cases of scotch dancing in my head. Well, we didn't find any of that stuff but we did find a lot of interesting trash, a dolphin skull, a dead dolphin, a whale bone, a huge tree trunk in the middle of the beach and about a half dozen condoms (new).

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

We had a fun adventure, a camp fire and scrabble game, several adult beverages and a safe trip back to the main road. We may not have found any treasure but the memories of our adventure are priceless.

We would like to back some day but there are a lot of places that we haven't been yet. If we do, it will be in a smaller vehicle and with another vehicle or two. If you want to go, just do it, we did and lived to tell about it......dt

[Edited on 7-29-2008 by dtbushpilot]

vgabndo - 7-29-2008 at 12:01 PM

More...more. I am especially interested in hearing from as many people as possible about the chances that I could get some long runs with my dirt boat.

Ok...now I get it. There were no photos when I posted my reply. Is Malarrimo Beach wider than the one in the pictures?

[Edited on 7-30-2008 by vgabndo]

Twingle at speed Alvord Desert reduced.JPG - 24kB

Cypress - 7-29-2008 at 01:36 PM

dtbushpilot, Thanks for the pictures.:tumble:That must be the skull of a young dolphin, still has it's teeth.:)

Russ - 7-29-2008 at 03:21 PM

Amazing adventure! I really liked the "riding a chicken". Haven't heard that one before.

Sharksbaja - 7-29-2008 at 03:26 PM

I'm impressed with you and yer rig!:o A real Nomad. Thanks for the nice report.

rpleger - 7-29-2008 at 03:54 PM

Great report...Real Baja California...Real roads...The way it should be...Thank You Very Much

Udo - 7-29-2008 at 04:17 PM

My wife and I went there this past February.
Here are the changes:
The main road from Vizcaino, as in your trip, was paved to just past the Bahia Asuncion turn-off. Then for about the next 50 miles is graded dirt with some major loose sand spots that one would have to drive fairly fast to kinda coast over the loose spots.
The last 15 miles to Bahia Tortuga is paved and they are feverishly working on paving the rest to meet the paved part coming out of Vizcaino. I am sure that Shari has a more recent update than this.
dtbushpilot actually turned way too early to make it to Malarrimo beach. If you make the right turn at the sign that designates the beach and fish camps (where we ate several lobsters free of charge from the local fishermen), you could have easily made it to the beach. The road could easily accomodate a 32' +- RV.
The surfing there is also primo, with the average ride on a south swell being about 1 1/2-2 minutes.
Bring some freebies to the fishermen at both camps, speak some Spanish, and you'll eat for free. Bahia Tortuga is about 1/2 hour away and there are TWO Pemex stations in town. Pay a visit to the town...you'll be surprised!

dtbushpilot - 7-29-2008 at 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by udowinkler
Here are the changes:
The main road from Vizcaino, as in your trip, was paved to just past the Bahia Asuncion turn-off. Then for about the next 50 miles is graded dirt with some major loose sand spots that one would have to drive fairly fast to kinda coast over the loose spots.
The last 15 miles to Bahia Tortuga is paved and they are feverishly working on paving the rest to meet the paved part coming out of Vizcaino. I am sure that Shari has a more recent update than this.
dtbushpilot actually turned way too early to make it to Malarrimo beach. If you make the right turn at the sign that designates the beach and fish camps (where we ate several lobsters free of charge from the local fishermen), you could have easily made it to the beach. The road could easily accomodate a 32' +- RV.
The surfing there is also primo, with the average ride on a south swell being about 1 1/2-2 minutes.
Bring some freebies to the fishermen at both camps, speak some Spanish, and you'll eat for free. Bahia Tortuga is about 1/2 hour away and there are TWO Pemex stations in town. Pay a visit to the town...you'll be surprised!

Thanks for the update udo,

We went to Tortugas, Asuncion and Campo rene on the same trip after Malarimo. I'll post more later.

We had lobster with the locals the day we arrived at Tortugas. What an expirience, what beautiful people.

I believe the road you are referring to goes to Malarimo the town (fish camp). The scavenging beach is quite a ways to the East of there.....dt

DianaT - 7-29-2008 at 04:41 PM

Love the report.

OK, now we really need to know which one is the correct road and place.

BTW, Last December we took the back road (shortcut, so to speak) from Bahia Asuncion to Tortugas and while slower, it was a beautiful drive.

Diane

dtbushpilot - 7-29-2008 at 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by grover
NICE driving skills...well done!

I bet you secure inside quite a bit better before gnarly offroad now.

Well, one would think so but on our trip to Punta Conception last month we met with a similar fate. We were also towing a small trailer with Jill's new toy on it (Polaris RZR). The camper took a bit of a beating and I doubt that I will be taking it back in there any time soon. I probably have some pictures, I'll post a trip report after I re-figure out how to post them.....dt

Udo - 7-29-2008 at 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
Quote:
Here are the changes:

Thanks for the update udo,

We went to Tortugas, Asuncion and Campo rene on the same trip after Malarimo. I'll post more later.

We had lobster with the locals the day we arrived at Tortugas. What an expirience, what beautiful people.

I believe the road you are referring to goes to Malarimo the town (fish camp). The scavenging beach is quite a ways to the East of there.....dt

Quote:

You are quite correct, DT, about the people. They are so incredibly honest! When we were there last, we met Eugenio, the grandson of the gentleman whom the point was named after (Punto Eugenio). He even gave me some of his canned caracol (conch) and which is only available locally in Bahia Tortuga.

Mexitron - 7-29-2008 at 06:25 PM

Great report--nice to see those old Baja roads I'm used to bouncing along...

elgatoloco - 7-29-2008 at 07:03 PM

Cool report! Hope to make it that way some day.:coolup:

Bajaboy - 7-29-2008 at 07:27 PM

So let's book it Gato! We're ready for another adventure.

Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco

elgatoloco - 7-29-2008 at 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy

Quote:

Dude! Your adventure of a lifetime is a few short weeks away!! And it's going to last at least 18 years!!! :biggrin:

How about next summer? :cool:

Skip_Mac - 7-29-2008 at 08:21 PM

Gawd, that was a wonderful set of Pics. now I have both an idea of what to expect on the road and the final beach. Too bad about the scotch and floats. I don't suspect of Graham of exaggerating, perhaps the better beach combing is elsewhere on the beach or at different times of the year. Or perhaps I am just having trouble letting go of a beach combing dream.

Thanks for the post. You rock.

David K - 7-29-2008 at 09:32 PM

GREAT Baja Nomad stuff! Thank you dtbushpilot for sharing the trip story and photos!

I have wanted to get there since Mike McMahan showed us what his family found there (1960's-'72) in his '73 book 'There It Is: Baja!'... Then Graham Mackintosh talked fondly of the gin... and later, tonic bottle on the beach (1980's)!

Bajaboy - 7-29-2008 at 09:37 PM

We're down for a July escapade....I'll bring the playpen and you can bring the bocce set.

Zac

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Dude! Your adventure of a lifetime is a few short weeks away!! And it's going to last at least 18 years!!! :biggrin:

elgatoloco - 7-29-2008 at 09:55 PM

Quote:
We're down for a July escapade....I'll bring the playpen and you can bring the bocce set.

Zac

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Game on!! :dudette:

Sharksbaja - 7-29-2008 at 10:05 PM

Hey DT, was it windy when you were there? It was really bad in the afternoons while we were there.

Also, when you first arrive at the beach and make that left, if you look to the right there is a channel that that opens up into a bay. We swam across there and found some wierd stuff out there. We also saw an 8' shark when coming back. I swear to god my friend actually ran on the water!:o:O:o:lol:

Did you see anyone else out there? If you examine GoogleEarth of the area you can make out a track that leads out towards Pta. Tortugas. I am wondering if that road is doable. It looks like it follows buried lines out to the point. That would be a great adventure imo.:yes:

[Edited on 7-30-2008 by Sharksbaja]

DianaT - 7-30-2008 at 08:11 AM

Will ask the question again since no one answered before. Is the better road that udowinkler described go the correct beach, or is it only the other road first described.

I read about some people who took the coast road from Tortugas on their quads, so also wonder if a truck could do that one.

We really want to go out there---look forward to doing the shortcut from BA again.

Diane

dtbushpilot - 7-30-2008 at 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by jdtrotter
Will ask the question again since no one answered before. Is the better road that udowinkler described go the correct beach, or is it only the other road first described.

I read about some people who took the coast road from Tortugas on their quads, so also wonder if a truck could do that one.

We really want to go out there---look forward to doing the shortcut from BA again.

Diane

Diane,

When Jill and I were there a month ago we took her Polaris up to Punta Eugena and continued around the coast toward Malarimo. It gets a little "sporty" after a few miles so we turned around and went back. I might have felt a little more adventureous on a quad but I wouldn't take a vehicle any further. I don't know about the road to Malarimo the fish camp but I know that you can't drive from there (Malarimo) to the beachcoaming beach unless you are driving on the beach. When we were there we ran into some locals that had come to look for stuff and they had come in the same way that we had.

When we went back through Eugenia a local family flagged us down and invited us to join them for Fathers Day lunch. They had chicken and pork on the bar-b-q and all the fixins. It was great...and humbling. The people of Baja are so special, so genuine. I'll see if I have pictures and post a report about it but it will probably be next week....dt

Bajaboy - 7-30-2008 at 09:48 AM

Tracy and I along with El Gato Loco and Barb explored that area a few summers back. The road past Pt. Eugenia was washed out at the foot of a beautiful beach. I'm sure one could make it if they were determined but at that time we chose to head south. As fate would have it, we met Juan and Shari instead.

But sounds like we might exploring that area again this summer. We'll definitely post a report.

Zac

dtbushpilot - 7-30-2008 at 11:40 AM

Quote:
Tracy and I along with El Gato Loco and Barb explored that area a few summers back. The road past Pt. Eugenia was washed out at the foot of a beautiful beach. I'm sure one could make it if they were determined but at that time we chose to head south. As fate would have it, we met Juan and Shari instead.

But sounds like we might exploring that area again this summer. We'll definitely post a report.

Zac

That sounds like the same place that we turned around a month ago.....dt

TMW - 7-31-2008 at 07:04 AM

Great pixs looks like the road had a lot of rain on it. We were in there about 5 or 6 years ago turning off at San Jose de Castro. The road in was much smoother then thru the canyon area. There was a very large badger living about a mile maybe more from the beach. If you stay on the dry sand as you get closer to the beach your OK but be careful on the dirt side as just under the crust is mud. One of the Loco Mocos made the trip several years ago with three trucks and at least one got stuck. Interesting read on getting unstuck, it was on Off-Road.com.

[Edited on 7-31-2008 by TW]

Great report This is what Baja Nomads is all about

Keri - 7-31-2008 at 07:18 AM

Mike and I want to try it one day too. Thanks for sharing all your fotos,k:yes:

Udo - 7-31-2008 at 09:15 AM

Quote:

Diane

Hola Diane,

The road that DT took to Malarrimo was sevaral miles east of the turn-off that is designated by the road sign. The road we took is sooooo much easier than taking the road that DT took. But once one gets to the fish camps (by the way, on the west fish camp there is a light house that houses a huge Peregrin Falcon nest. It had eggs in it the last time and mom was peeed!), if you take the dirt road headed east, which is a good dirt road with no wash-outs, you will eventually end up where DT was.
The scavenging is about the same from the fish camps to many miles east.
Forget about the glass floats (although I did find a small orange buoy). The fishermen have a huge head start on anyone. And the last time we were there, they brought back a chinese EPIRB emergency locator. It was about 6' tall with a 12' marine antenna. The battery was obviously dead.
I'll work on posting detailed photos (thanks to Diane's instructions) this weekend.

DianaT - 7-31-2008 at 09:20 AM

Quote:
Quote:

Diane

Hola Diane,

The road that DT took to Malarrimo was sevaral miles east of the turn-off that is designated by the road sign. The road we took is sooooo much easier than taking the road that DT took. But once one gets to the fish camps (by the way, on the west fish camp there is a light house that houses a huge Peregrin Falcon nest. It had eggs in it the last time and mom was peeed!), if you take the dirt road headed east, which is a good dirt road with no wash-outs, you will eventually end up where DT was.
The scavenging is about the same from the fish camps to many miles east.
Forget about the glass floats (although I did find a small orange buoy). The fishermen have a huge head start on anyone. And the last time we were there, they brought back a chinese EPIRB emergency locator. It was about 6' tall with a 12' marine antenna. The battery was obviously dead.
I'll work on posting detailed photos (thanks to Diane's instructions) this weekend.

Thanks Udo, and remember to U2U if you run into any problems with posting the pix. We really want to see them!

Diane

Skeet/Loreto - 7-31-2008 at 06:22 PM

Oh so many years ago, Virginia and I went in at a place, I think they called it "San Jose" Not sure.
Had our old 77 Chevy 4w Drive and our Dog "Queso. Spent the nite and found all kinds of Items One being the Mast and Tackle off of a very old Ship.
Have photos and will try to post them>
To me that is one of Baja"s Hidden Places.

Glad other people have enjoyed it.

Skeet/Loreto

Udo - 8-1-2008 at 05:06 PM

HERE IS MY FIRST TRY AT POSTING PHOTOS THANKS TO DIANE'S POST

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll74/udowinkler/BajaMalar...

Udo - 8-1-2008 at 05:08 PM

No bueno on my first try...
here goes another one

Udo - 8-1-2008 at 05:09 PM

SUCCESS!

Udo - 8-1-2008 at 05:12 PM

DIANE...here is my bird

Udo - 8-1-2008 at 05:16 PM

OK DT...here are some of the photos of what you missed by not going farther west from the beach you drove to in 2006:

Light house with pergrin falcon nest

Udo - 8-1-2008 at 05:21 PM

peeed off mom

fish camp @ Malarrimo beach:

Malarrimo Chinese junk!

DianaT - 8-1-2008 at 05:37 PM

Udo

Thanks for the pix and I am really happy you took the time to be able to post them.

We will go there and check it out---important, is it not to see if anything has changed. :lol:

Diane

Udo - 8-1-2008 at 05:45 PM

Here are photos of our lobsters @ Malarrimo

(Diane...you unleashed a bucket of power with your instructions)

DianaT - 8-1-2008 at 08:42 PM

It is really fun to see someone be able to post all the wonderful pictures of their experiences. My favorites are always the ones with the local people---just my bias.

Really happy to get the different reports.

Thanks
Diane

David K - 8-2-2008 at 10:03 AM

Way to go Udo!!!!

rob - 8-7-2008 at 07:27 PM

JD - in 2000 I drove my diesel/camper from Tortuga village (where the police chief personally escorted me up to the commercial diesel tanks because I was driving on fumes - no diesel in San Ignacio, none in Abreojos! AND the PEMEX in Tortuga forgot to pay PEMEX so they were cut off .. . ) - phew -

went east towards the fish camps on the opposite coast and simply followed the road along the aqueduct (Tortuga got all its water from the pump station at Vizcaino). The whole section is has steep cliffs with just a few arroyos down to rocky beaches.

When you come to the end of the cliffs, you are looking eastward along Malarrimo Beach - I thought I could se GN in the distance, but anyway, the view was fantastic. Actually getting down to the beach had its moments (I had a Lance 8ft camper, the heaviest pig ever designed for Arctic camping), but I finally made it.

My treasure - a 5´x5´ mahogany grate/hatch cover - beautifully crafted - with copper screws.

Great people, lonely place.

DianaT - 8-7-2008 at 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rob
JD - in 2000 I drove my diesel/camper from Tortuga village (where the police chief personally escorted me up to the commercial diesel tanks because I was driving on fumes - no diesel in San Ignacio, none in Abreojos! AND the PEMEX in Tortuga forgot to pay PEMEX so they were cut off .. . ) - phew -

went east towards the fish camps on the opposite coast and simply followed the road along the aqueduct (Tortuga got all its water from the pump station at Vizcaino). The whole section is has steep cliffs with just a few arroyos down to rocky beaches.

When you come to the end of the cliffs, you are looking eastward along Malarrimo Beach - I thought I could se GN in the distance, but anyway, the view was fantastic. Actually getting down to the beach had its moments (I had a Lance 8ft camper, the heaviest pig ever designed for Arctic camping), but I finally made it.

My treasure - a 5´x5´ mahogany grate/hatch cover - beautifully crafted - with copper screws.

Great people, lonely place.

Thanks!
Diane

A picture (map) is worth a thousand words...

David K - 6-18-2009 at 05:44 PM

A great pair of trip reports from DTBUSHPILOT and UDO!

DT drove to Malarrimo Beach... made famous by Mike McMahan and others over the years... 'Playa Malarrimo'.

Udo drove to the fish camp of 'Malarrimo', north and a bit west of Bahia Tortugas... on the graded road shown:

OVERALL AREA:

CLOSE VIEW:

(Maps shown here for educational purposes only)

dtbushpilot - 6-18-2009 at 06:21 PM

Thanks for the visual DK. The beach that I went to is the one that people talk about the redwood logs on the beach. They can be seen in the background of the "made it" picture

bajadock - 6-18-2009 at 08:03 PM

OOOOH. I missed DTBP's and UDO's posts originally. Nice trip reports with fun photos, thanks. Need more of this stuff on Nomad. It's getting me motivated to head south.

Udo - 6-18-2009 at 08:49 PM

Thanks for the pair of maps, DK.
Re-reading the entire post made me want to do the trip again!
DT & I had a great adventure in Malarrimo, and it was made even better by the residents of Tortuga.
Mextrans should have most of the road from the Bahia Asuncion turnoff to Tortuga paved by now, which will make it much easier for the non-initiated Nomad to visit.

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
A great pair of trip reports from DTBUSHPILOT and UDO!
(Maps shown here for educational purposes only)

Graham - 6-18-2009 at 09:56 PM

This is bringing back some happy memories from my "circumbaja" {Into a Desert Place} trip there in 1983. Managed to dig out these old black and white photos...

My approach was via panga across Scammon's Lagoon.

Crossing Scammons_1_1.jpg - 50kB

Graham - 6-18-2009 at 09:58 PM

Fishermen help me unload on the beach and warn/advise me about what's ahead.

Arrival Malirmo_1.jpg - 31kB

Graham - 6-18-2009 at 09:59 PM

I soon see that there is going to be some amazing beachcombing.

Dead whale_1_1.jpg - 47kB

Graham - 6-18-2009 at 10:00 PM

A graveyard for all kind of things... wonder if I'm next!

Wreck boat_2_1.jpg - 45kB

Graham - 6-18-2009 at 10:01 PM

At least I'll have plenty of ammo

Ammo Cases_1.jpg - 49kB

Graham - 6-18-2009 at 10:02 PM

And plenty of survival rations thanks to Uncle Sam.

Survival Rations_1_1.jpg - 46kB

Graham - 6-18-2009 at 10:04 PM

But you don't want to get stuck in the talc-like soft sand.

Vehicle sand 2_1.jpg - 47kB

Graham - 6-18-2009 at 10:07 PM

Geez... and then there was all that Japanese whisky and such... no wonder I hardly remember being there.

And this is the holy boat that took me across the mouth of the new lagoon that divided Malarrimo.

Malrmo Boat_2_1.jpg - 42kB

Udo - 6-19-2009 at 07:53 AM

Reminds me of the buried Statue of Liberty scene in Planet of The Apes.
I wish I had a slide scanner and I would dig up my old photos of 1975 & 1977 (I know DK!)

Quote:
Originally posted by Graham
But you don't want to get stuck in the talc-like soft sand.

[Edited on 6-19-2009 by udowinkler]

Mike McMahan

David K - 6-19-2009 at 08:39 AM

In Mike McMahan's Baja books ('There It Is: Baja!' 1973 hardback and 'Adventures in Baja' 1983 paperback) are some of the coolest examples of Malarrimo beachcombing that have given many of us the desire to go out there:

TMW - 6-20-2009 at 08:13 AM

Was at Playa Malarrimo 2002 and there was a very large Badger living about a mile from the ocean. Saw him going in and coming out.

rpleger - 6-20-2009 at 08:25 AM

There is still some adventure left in Baja California...this is a great thread. Thanks guys for posting all the interesting fotos.

Udo - 6-20-2009 at 08:40 AM

Thanks for the terrific old photos, y'all!
When we jeeped over there in the seventies, there was so much stuff there to beachcomb through and we were limited in space of what we could bring back (we were still headed south with two weeks to go before we went back north). The lack of room in our Jeeps allowed us to only bring back a small handful of items. We went back three years later, and still had no more room.
Many things were confiscated at the US Customs inspection after sending us into secondary when we returned.

bufeo - 6-20-2009 at 11:58 AM

Thanks dtbushpilot, nice report and photos.

Brings back really great memories: spring 1972, minimal maps/guides—(Cliff Cross who hadn't been out there), Gerhard and Gulick (who also admitted to not driving the route), Walt Wheelock's map, AA map with only dashed-lines—a "piece of eight", and visions of treasures. Oh, and no pavement.

Incredible winds for three consecutive days had all but obliterated any sign of track north from San José de Castro. This was before GPSs, but we had a compass and sextant and the promise from a local at SJdC that if we didn't report back within five days he would come looking for us.

It was a marvelous adventure and it appears that you had one as well. I applaud you for taking your truck-camper out there. You must have had moments... .

Allen R

Cypress - 6-20-2009 at 12:03 PM

rpleger, Yep!:bounce:

David K - 6-21-2009 at 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bufeo

Brings back really great memories: spring 1972, minimal maps/guides—(Cliff Cross who hadn't been out there), Gerhard and Gulick (who also admitted to not driving the route), Walt Wheelock's map, AA map with only dashed-lines—a "piece of eight", and visions of treasures. Oh, and no pavement.

Incredible winds for three consecutive days had all but obliterated any sign of track north from San José de Castro. This was before GPSs, but we had a compass and sextant and the promise from a local at SJdC that if we didn't report back within five days he would come looking for us.

It was a marvelous adventure and it appears that you had one as well. I applaud you for taking your truck-camper out there. You must have had moments... .

Allen R

The odd 'ol days before Hwy. 1 was finished! :spingrin::tumble::bounce:

McMahan Map-r.JPG - 49kB

dtbushpilot - 6-21-2009 at 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bufeo

Allen R

We had a few "moments" to be sure. Going in there were several places where you could see that someone had been stuck and had to dig out. We made it in ok but I spent the whole time we were there worried about the trip out. The arroyo runs down hill going in (of course) and I was concerned that going up hill on the way out we would be more likely to dig in. Also, while trying to dig a hole for a fire I found that we were parked in the middle of a mud flat and wondered if I would wake in the morning to find that we had slowly sunk in the mud. To add to my concerns, while gathering wood for a fire well behind the camper in the arroyo I realized that the wood I was gathering was drift wood. Looking around I realized that there was washed up trash around too and that I was parked within the high tide line. I had no idea what type of tide to expect but it looked as though the water rarely came up that high so I decided to stay put.
I took this picture of our camp site while standing just about where the beach sand started. It looked to me like we were well back from the water but I looked outside more than once during the night.

We heard lots of coyotes during the night and we could hear them checking out our camp site. It was too dark to see them but in the morning there were tracks all around the camper.

We all know that you shouldn't camp alone especially in remote areas an although I do it often I do worry about security in the back of my mind. Jill worries about it more in the front of her mind. I do carry a few things to protect us in the camper but would rather not have to go there.I don't know of many more remote places than Mallarimo beach and I must admit I was a bit spooked. In the morning after coffee we went for a walk down the beach about a mile looking for treasure. On the way back Jill grabbed my arm and pointed down the beach. There were 4 men walking down the beach toward us from the area where we were camped. I could tell by the way Jill's fingernails were digging into my flesh that she was more than casually concerned.....so was I. There I was with my plastic coffee cup for a weapon and nothing else. I did my best to look imposing and confident as they approached but knew in my heart that if they had bad intentions we were screwed.

As it turned out they were locals looking for treasure just as we were and after a brief chat they went on their way. When we got back to camp we saw their vehicle parked near our truck. I broke camp and headed out quickly so that we would be ahead of them on the road out and could get help from them if we got stuck, fortunately we didn't and we found the hub cap from our truck right where a rock knocked it off on the way in.....glad I didn't run it over.

We still camp in remote places but not as much as before.....dt

David K - 5-21-2022 at 08:48 AM

One of the great trip reports from the glory days of Baja Nomad!

TMW - 5-21-2022 at 11:22 AM

I've been to Malarrimo Beach twice over the last 20 years and both times it was a fun adventure. The area where the arroyo meets the beach has changed a lot between my first and second visit. Still lots of junk. We found a new wet suit with the sales tags still on it. An underwater camera with one picture taken of a scuba diver. Last trip there were about a million flip flops, take your pick.

On my first trip we saw a very large Badger going in and coming out, of course we stayed clear of him. I rode my MC on the beach among 5 or 6 coyotes until they got exhausted and left the beach.

I never found any alcohol or torpedo's like some did years ago.

I think it's time for another trip there.

larryC - 5-21-2022 at 05:16 PM

I've been there 3 or 4 times and always had a good adventure. Next time I want to head to the right once you get to the beach and then get across the inlet and explore the next beach. I did that my first trip in there in about '75 and found all kinds of stuff. Not many people can get over there. I had and old 3 wheeler and put it into an aluminum boat and was able to ride it up and down the beach.

Don Pisto - 5-21-2022 at 06:35 PM

never found anything other than garbage there but im told locals scour the area in the wee morning hours, what does surprise me is how clean the water is and how good the halibut fishing is!

David K - 5-21-2022 at 07:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
never found anything other than garbage there but im told locals scour the area in the wee morning hours, what does surprise me is how clean the water is and how good the halibut fishing is!

One man's garbage IS another man's treasure!

4x4abc - 5-21-2022 at 10:04 PM

I always find more than I can carry away

cruise missiles
redwood logs
thousands of Chinese shoes
wooden crates with whiskey - 1/3 not broken
stacks of British TPC (Tactical Pilot Charts) of northern Germany
and all the stuff i already forgot

Screen Shot 2022-05-21 at 11.02.04 PM copy.jpg - 262kB

WideAngleWandering - 3-20-2023 at 12:22 PM

In Asunción right now and considering a night on the beach to fish and explore the junk. Is the trail from San Jose de Castro the best route in? We are driving solo in a capable land cruiser but if we got bogged down in mud I don't know that I could dig myself out. In that case I do have a spot, which I wouldn't activate until I also ran out of beer ...

[Edited on 2023-3-20 by WideAngleWandering]

AKgringo - 3-20-2023 at 07:56 PM

I did not try the road/trail out to Malarrimo, but I did drive the dirt road headed south through San Jose de Castro to Bahia Asuncion last year. I don't know what it is like now, but i was fortunate enough to drive it while grader tracks were still visible.

I also drove the road that loops through Puerto Nuevo, and enjoyed that side trip! There is very little beach access, but I found a nice spot that I had all to myself for the night. (except for the pangas pulling pots offshore!)

4x4abc - 3-20-2023 at 08:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by WideAngleWandering  
... but if we got bogged down in mud I don't know that I could dig myself out.

with that mind set you will get stuck
because you expect it

if you'll focus on not getting stuck - you won't

use all the available techniques
airing down
lockers
going slow
straight lines rather than tight turns
be aware of your surroundings

a capable Landcruiser is good
but in the end it is you

as the Indians say: " It's the Indian - not the arrow."

WideAngleWandering - 3-21-2023 at 07:37 AM

My mindset isn't going to keep me from recovering but lockers in the mud are a quick way to get buried to the axle. I really should be carrying a full size shovel and a sand anchor. Anyhow, thanks all for the insights.

[Edited on 2023-3-21 by WideAngleWandering]

mtgoat666 - 3-21-2023 at 08:27 AM

My mindset isn't going to keep me from recovering but lockers in the mud are a quick way to get buried to the axle. I really should be carrying a full size shovel and a sand anchor. Anyhow, thanks all for the insights.

the best way to not get stuck in the mud is to not drive in the mud. sometimes it pays to get out of the car and walk ahead before driving over the flats in low areas. you can use a shovel or rod to probe the ground to see if there is saturated mud lurking beneath a dry crust...

yes, it takes time to walk ahead and check the ground. but it takes less time than extracting yourself out of a mudhole

[Edited on 3-21-2023 by mtgoat666]

WideAngleWandering - 3-21-2023 at 08:44 AM

No doubt.

But all this talk about mud is a tangent.

Any thoughts on the best/most entertaining/least-likely-to-get-stuck-or-turned-aroumd route in? Via San Jose de Castro or along the coast from Tortugas?

dtbushpilot - 3-21-2023 at 04:38 PM

No doubt.

But all this talk about mud is a tangent.

Any thoughts on the best/most entertaining/least-likely-to-get-stuck-or-turned-aroumd route in? Via San Jose de Castro or along the coast from Tortugas?

I don’t believe you can reach the same beach coming from Malarrimo fish camp (from Punta Eugenia). At least back when I went in there you couldn’t, things change though.

David K - 3-21-2023 at 04:51 PM

There is a third way, talked about a but here back 5 years ago... It is the road along the water pipe. I photographed it where it leaves the Tortugas highway at Km. 83. I included it on my map:

David's map

AKgringo - 3-21-2023 at 05:41 PM

David, the "loop" that I mentioned through Puerto Nuevo that a mentioned yesterday continues southwar and connects with the road that your map shows as a dead end at the coast.

When I drove that route, it had been freshly graded and was suitable for any decent 2wd vehicle. There were several steep sections and drainages that could get wiped out in an event like hurricane Kay, so I can't vouch for the condition now.

WideAngleWandering - 3-21-2023 at 06:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
There is a third way, talked about a but here back 5 years ago... It is the road along the water pipe. I photographed it where it leaves the Tortugas highway at Km. 83.

Very helpful - I read this in ypur report but didn't realize it was a different road from San Jose de Castro.

Quote: Originally posted by dtbushpilot  
I don’t believe you can reach the same beach coming from Malarrimo fish camp (from Punta Eugenia). At least back when I went in there you couldn’t, things change though.

Hmm this is what I was wondering. I've read it's not accessible here on BN. But this trip report (day 6) almost sounds like they followed the coast and found a track. https://www.off-road.com/atv/feature/atv-ride-malarrimo-madn...