BajaNomad

Champurrado

Margie - 5-2-2004 at 11:42 PM

If you have to cross the Border, try to get there before 8:00 AM, and the guys will be selling this hot, while you are waiting, it is delicious.

1/2 pound/250g masa harina
3 ounces/90g piloncillo, crumbled (or 1/2 cup dark brown sugar)
1/2 pound/250g Mexican chocolate
3 quarts water

Stir the masa harina in one quart of water and let stand for a few minutes. Strain and place the liquid in a large saucepan. Add the remaining water and piloncillo. Bring to a boil and simmer until the sugar dissolves. Ad the chocolate and simmer until the chocolate melts. Stir well and serve hot.

There are variations on this, some recipes calling for beef broth, I'll see what I can dig up.

kellychapman - 11-20-2006 at 12:21 AM

I also got lucky the other day and purchased a bag of Champurrado mixture where you just add canned milk and water. It is so delicious on the cool evenings here and I was so very happy to find a mix already prepared which makes it so easy....I tried to make them homemade last year and got them a little too thick and so I am looking forward to trying the prepackaged mix manana and see how good they are....and of course with a little kalua and vodka helps it make a really nice toddy at night....

AmoPescar - 11-20-2006 at 12:52 AM

Re: Champurrado

I was on the Viva Baja Cactus Tijuana trip 2 weeks ago and saw vendors selling it as we waited to cross the border. I didn't know what it was and asked Antonio what it was. His explanation made it sound a bit like Hot Chocolate.

The ingredients are interesting. I guess I'll have to try some sometime while in Baja.

Michael :)

BajaWarrior - 11-20-2006 at 06:07 PM

It is on the thick side of Hot Chocolate, but be careful, under that cooling crust is hotter than molten lava liquid, cools quickly.

Bruce R Leech - 11-20-2006 at 06:15 PM

I put a little Kahlua in it MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

chino - 11-20-2006 at 08:48 PM

Thanks Margie,
I used to commute from TJ into San Diego frequently, always in the wee hours. One time I forgot my coffee at home and was dying from a cafiene headache, at the boarder a guy was selling champurrado, I asked que es champarrado, he said es champarrado! que es identro? I said, he said champarrado! ingredientes? I asked and very exsasperated he said es champarado! So I did enjoy it and never found out what it was 'till now!
PS maybe I should go visit bruce for his version of it!

[Edited on 11-21-2006 by chino]