BajaNomad

Pozole - Red Hominy Stew from Jalisco

Margie - 5-3-2004 at 12:29 AM

This is excellent - try it before summer rolls around.

For 10 servings
1&1/2 pounds/700g dried hominy
1 head of garlic
2 pounds /1k loin of pork
1 pound /500g pork cut from the leg
1 onion
Salt
3 &1/2 ounces/100g ancho chiles,seeded, deveined, and soaked in hot water
3&1/2 ounces /100g guajillo chiles, seeded, deveined, and soaked in hot water

Accompaniments
1 head lettuce, shredded
Dried Oregano (a must)
Radishes, thinly sliced
Chopped onion (a must)
Lime Wedges (a must)
Tortillas de maiz (a must)
Piquin chile (a must)

Rinse the hominy well and place in a saucepan with water to cover. Add the garlic and simmer over low heat until tender.

Cook the meats separately in water to cover with the onion and salt, until tender. Drain and reserve the cooking liquid. Cut the meat into large chunks. Puree the chiles with their soaking water. Strain (If you want) and add to the hominy. Stir the meat and some of the cooking liquid into the hominy. Add salt, bring to a boil, then simmer about 20 minutes, until the stew is thick. If you prefer it not so thick, add more liquid from the meat. Remove the garlic and discard.

It's really good !

Of all the strange places to find the best bowl of pozole,

Stephanie Jackter - 5-3-2004 at 09:14 AM

There's a little hole in the wall on Van Buren, just west of I-10 in downtown Phoenix that has the best pozole (white and red), that I've ever had. If any of you are passing through Phoenix in your travels this summer, check it out. I'ts called "Pozoleria", to state nothing more than the obvious.

Last time I went, I just got the broth, as I'm still on liquids. It took me five minutes to convince my American friend to shove the radishes and lettuce into her soup, but when she did, she enjoyed it thoroughly! - Stephanie

Mexitron - 5-3-2004 at 07:13 PM

Never had red pozole--only white....have to try it --thanks for posting the recipe Margie!!

Margie - 5-3-2004 at 08:41 PM

You are welcome, Mexitron!

I've some good Gringo ones, too if anyone is interested.

Bring 'em on!!!

Stephanie Jackter - 5-4-2004 at 02:15 AM