BajaNomad

Radar Love

elgatoloco - 5-5-2004 at 11:14 PM

Driving home this afternoon we are heading up Hwy. 1 near La Grulla and we see a Federal Highway Patrol heading south make a quick you turn and flip on the lights. I pull over and the kind officer says in perfect english " I am going to ask you one question and I already know the answer to that question and it is how fast do you think you were going? I think to myself probably 55-60 but I say no sabe.

He shows me the reading on the US made ( as he is quick to point out) radar unit shows 65 . I say "WOW, that's fast"!

After about 10 minutes discussion during which I respectfully tell him that I am NOT comfortable letting him take care of the fine for me due to the fact that I was unaware that the "Turismo office had put in place a system to make it easier for the American tourist to handle traffic violations". I tell him to please write the speeding ticket and I will handle it via the court system as I have done so in the past, although it would mean an inconvenience to me to return to TJ tomorrow between 9-5 to retrieve ny license which he will have to keep. ( He had pulled out 7 or 8 licenses from his pocket earlier). I got NO ticket and he got NO $62.00 fine. He was wearing a badge but no name tag.

It was fun!

We had another incredible 6 day weekend in Baja!! The best birthday present my wife has gotten me ever, so far. :saint:

Bob H - 5-6-2004 at 08:13 AM

egl, where'd ya go, what'dya eat? :?:

Baja Bernie - 5-6-2004 at 09:35 AM

Matt,
Very classy! My kind of guy--you--not the cop.

elgatoloco - 5-6-2004 at 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
egl, where'd ya go, what'dya eat? :?:

We had a torta at El Trailero due to the fact that Tacos J was closed on Sunday for a paint job!

We ate fish tacos at Mama Espinosa's. We had fried clam appetizers at Cielito Lindo washed down with maggies rocks con sal!!We had a great almeja c-cktail and some delicious 'ceviche de jaiva' at El Paraiso after spending $20.00 to get bracket on sway bar welded back together. Monday night we dined on carnita's tacos de Barbara under a luna grande amongst the Aspen and Ponderosa pines at 8,125 feet above sea level! On the way home yesterday we stopped at Taco J for tacos de camarones! Scrumptious!!!

Baja is fun!

Bob H - 5-6-2004 at 12:27 PM

Matt, my mouth is watering! I have never seen Taqueria El Jalisciense closed while the sun is still shining. So, they painted the place - wow. We will be there the weekend of 14/15/16 and that's the first place we always eat! And the shrimp tacos are killer, huh?

JESSE - 5-6-2004 at 12:54 PM

Hey guys, just so you know, it is ILEGAL for a cop to keep your licence. It was done in the past but it was ruled ilegal a few years back, all they can do is hand you a ticket.

Radar

thebajarunner - 5-6-2004 at 05:19 PM

Matt, you da man!!
After my rather explosive post last month on "Dirty Cops" where I got thoroughly dissed by folks who claim that "Bribes 'r Us"
in Baja it is refreshing to read about someone who calls the bluff of the cop.
That is the only way that we can clean up the situation.
I remember years ago getting pulled over near Playas de TJ.... supposedly for running a stop sign, but really it was for the eminent crime of "Driving a Porsche in Baja"
Anyway, I made the guy take me to the station where the station captain took time out from mopping the floor to take my pesos, write an elaborate receipt, in triplicate, handshakes all around, and down the road.
Good show, my man.
Lunch is definitely on me at the Awahnee!

Baja Arriba!!