BajaNomad

High Speed Internet Access

rogerj1 - 5-7-2004 at 09:56 PM

Where is High Speed access available on Baja? If I could get a high speed link I could get access to my work station plus voice over internet, voila! Instant office. Has anyone had high speed internet installed? Was it a hassle?

Internet?

meme - 5-8-2004 at 10:30 AM

I have Satellite Internet here in San Felipe and that
s about as good as it gets!! I love it!!

backninedan - 5-8-2004 at 10:52 AM

I have a friend here in Loreto who is in the process of getting satellite internet. It has been a pain in the butt so far, but when finished will be worth it... I think.

Dan

Me No - 5-8-2004 at 01:17 PM

The problem with Satelite is the slow upload speeds. DSL is available in some places.

Bajabus - 5-9-2004 at 10:31 AM

look here

fixed unit pricing also available, Over 100 installs in baja, lot's of references. check us out

[Edited on 9-5-2004 by Bajabus]

satellite internet

flyfishinPam - 5-21-2004 at 06:13 PM

I'm that friend of DAn's who finally got hooked up on the satellite internet. I'm getting used to it and yes the upload speeds are very slow indeed, but I can still work at home and stay sane despite it. Bad thing about the upload speed is that I can't run my webcam broadcasts from the house. Too slow. Bummer.

High speed Internet

BajaCactus - 5-22-2004 at 10:12 PM

You can get High Speed Internet via ADSL on the major cities of Baja: Mexicali, Tijuana, Tecate, Ensenada, san Quint?n, Guerero Negro.. etc.

This is through Telnor with a product called Prodigy Infinitum (needs a phone line contract), check www.telnor.com

They have different plans depending on needed speed.

Other than that, you will only have dial-up or a Satellite connection through an American company like starband...

Telnor also has a satellite connection plan called PSAT, but they do not offer it to the public, you have to ask for it.

Antonio M.
BajaCactus
"Where the Baja is much more than a dream..."

Free wireless

dono - 5-23-2004 at 05:22 AM

The plaza in Los Barriles has free wireless so you can check your e-mail while you wait for breakfast. its pretty fast but don't know if its high speed

DirecWay in SF

MrBillM - 6-8-2004 at 02:04 PM

The Dealer in San Felipe charges $900.00 for the complete
installation as opposed to $600.00 in the U.S. I know
neighbors who have done both, but having the installation
done in the U.S. and then disassembling, transporting and
reassembling doesn't seem sensible just to save $300.00.
Myself, I plan to spend the $900 this Fall. I was about
to do it in May, but since I'm only in Baja for 7-10 day
periods August-September, it didn't seem worth the $59.95
monthly.

JESSE - 6-8-2004 at 02:38 PM

Cablemas offers the fastest IT connection in Baja, far faster than Telnors, and cheaper, but you do have to be in an area where they offer their services.

Satellite internet

meme - 6-8-2004 at 02:45 PM

I bought my ststem on Ebay then had the guys here set it up and make my computers wireless also! So was a little cheaper than the $900 . My ststem was cheaper but I paid extra to upgade and set up wireless, up-grade my old laptop to Windows SE and the wireless set up. All in all I spent less than $900, for the whole thing.:D:

BajaNomad - 6-8-2004 at 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
Cablemas offers the fastest IT connection in Baja, far faster than Telnors, and cheaper, but you do have to be in an area where they offer their services.
Jesse,

So, is that cable access from a cable TV provider? Is that service only available to residential customers, or is it available (and at the same price) to business customers as well? Where do they have service?

Thanks,
--
Doug

Cablemas vs. infinitum

BajaCactus - 6-8-2004 at 04:16 PM

I have personally used Cablemas Internet service (called Cablered) and also the Internet service offered by Telnor (Prodigy Infinitum).

I can assure you, by personal experience, that Cablered is a very unreliable service, and yes, they also offer tv signal, in fact, they only provide internet access where they already have tv signal installation.

Now, Telnor infinitum is quite more stable and fast, mainly because they do not share the bandwith by a sector of the city, instead, they do the sharing in their routers, at the main servers, so, Telnor has better control of the real bandwith you are using.

Also, Infinitum by Telnor is more widely spread, basicaly because they use the same telephone line you already have installed.

Both providers have commercial and/or residential plans, the prices are not that different.

Now, if you need a fixed IP, only Telnor can provide it, Cablered can not.

You can check their web pages to see current rates and plans...

For Cablered:
http://www.cablemas.com/00_cablered_home.html

For Prodigy Infinitum:
http://www.telnor.com/telnor/index.cfm

I used for about a year both services simultaneously until I decided for the best one.You can trust me... Telnor is much, much better....

Antonio M.
BajaCactus

Satallite

bajalou - 6-8-2004 at 04:31 PM

Just a question - is DirecWay and Starband legal in Baja? Or is the signal just "in the air" and a tuned receiver (with a paid up DirecWay account) using it? I had heard that Direct TV and Dish Network reception in Mexico is not an approved reception by neither the provider nor the Mexican government. Is their a legal satalite service in Baja other than Telnor?

Just curious. As those that know me will attest, my object in life sometimes has been the entertainment and education of my friends and neighbors with stories of "This is what can happen if you----" from my personal experiances.

I live in Baja Calif. and just like to know whats the real score.

Thanks

:biggrin:

BajaCactus - 6-8-2004 at 06:02 PM

No... Starband, DirecPC nor Direcway are legal in Baja, according to the federal Secretary of Communications and Transports, if they catch receiving or using an air transmission not aproved by them, you will be penalized.

Now, having said that, in order for them to catch you, they would need a huge staff, wich they do not have, so chances for anyone to get caught arevery slim.

Last year, there were publications on the newspapers that the federal goverment was about to begin an intensive search in Baja for illegal satellite signals, but so far I have not seen any action.... who knows.

As far as I know, in Baja there are no other legal providers yet, however, there was a company that last year, around october began promoting nationwide a new satellite access in Mexico (do not recall the name), and they are suposse to get to Baja around september this year.

Antonio M.
BajaCactus
"Where the Baja is much more han a dream..."

Bajabus - 6-8-2004 at 07:20 PM

bajacactus is somewhat correct. Satmexs monopoly was killed by Fox and now both the Direcway on Satmex 5 and Starband on AMC-4 have legal landing rights in Mexico. The illegal part with both is that billing is in the USA so you are evading hacienda and they are the ones to fear not the SCT.

On 7/09/04 Wild blues AnikF2 satellite is set to launch on an Arian rocket. This will bring much needed competition to the industry. smaller dish, faster speeds less expensive, regular TCP/IP capable modem able to handle all platforms.

For now there are 2 fundamental differences between *band and DW. DW has a very onerous FAP policy that limits you to about 168MB in a 4-6 hour period, If you exceed that they throttle you back to dial up speeds, How soon you recover depends on usage during the FAP period, could be 12 hours could be a day. *band has no limit. So for light household use DW is ok. For serious users *band is the way to go especially if you like to down load ISO's, complete programs, large updates and stream a lot of video, audio and real time stock tickers. Also uploading video at 1 frame per 1/2 sec works better on *band.

Completely poratable *band systems can be purchased for as low as $600 in equipment and $39 per month service. after a few trial and errors you can set it up in under 45 min anywhere between Alaska and loretto as long as you have 12 volts and a cheapo $50 inverter. Below loreto you need a larger dish.

Up to date info...

BajaCactus - 6-8-2004 at 07:47 PM

Thanks for the update on info bajabus.

I knew of a guy in Ensenada and another one in Tijuana that were penalized by the SCT for receiving satellite signals... but that was a couple of years ago, since then, I have not heard of any other problems with anyboy else, now I know why....

Now, complementing the info you posted.... I have had the legal rights to a frequency on the SCT since 1990, therefore I have been in contact constantly with the SCT (more than I would want to), and there is something I have learned: They are in continuing communications with hacienda.. so be advised.

But as I said before..... at the moment, SCT nor Hacienda have the human power required to make real sweeps of the illegal users .

Antonio M.
BajaCactus

MrBillM - 6-8-2004 at 08:20 PM

It is pretty obvious in San Felipe that DirecWay is not
illegal. They are all over the place in town as well as
the outlying campos. It wouldn't take much of a staff to
notice those antennas in Downtown.

Bajabus - 6-8-2004 at 09:16 PM

The systems are everywhere now but why folks put them in plain view is still a little perplexing to me.

The DW dishes stand out like a sore thumb with their ultra mod sleek super bright white signature look, at least the *band ones look a lot more like a regular TV set up and you have to look closer to catch the TX.

BTW I have a brand new still in the box DW 4000 that I'll let go for $375. I just don't install them anymore and this one is taking up space. It's in TS so you would have to make arraingments to pick it up.

Bajabus - 6-8-2004 at 09:23 PM

MrBill DirecWay is just as illegal as *band. Every single one of those dishes is set up on an american account billed in the USA.

That's the part that is illegal.

I get DSL no probs in Punta Banda

BritishGirl - 6-8-2004 at 10:20 PM

I am lucky a neighbour of mine has DSL and has a router so like 6 people can use it in the neighbourhood and it is only $30 a month..bargain..better than L.A.:biggrin:

JESSE - 6-9-2004 at 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Quote:
Jesse,

So, is that cable access from a cable TV provider? Is that service only available to residential customers, or is it available (and at the same price) to business customers as well? Where do they have service?

Thanks,
--
Doug

They offer both residential and commercial service, and contrary to what some have said, Cablemas service is very reliable and consistent, i had Cablemas last year and it very rarely was out of service, something that constantly happened with Telnor.

My friend the lady who owns this cafe in Playas swears by it, she says its faster, cheaper, and very reliable, i agree with her 100%.

The only problem is that you do need to be in an area where they offer their cable service, currently thats tecate, tijuana, ensenada, and mexicali. heres their website:

http://www.cablemas.com.mx/

By the way, they are owned by the same company that own Telnor, Thats grupo Carso of Telmex fame.

muji - 6-10-2004 at 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaCactus
You can get High Speed Internet via ADSL on the major cities of Baja: Mexicali, Tijuana, Tecate, Ensenada, san Quint?n, Guerero Negro.. etc.

Add to that southern cities of La Paz, Los Barriles, Los Cabos. Anywhere gringos live en mass seems to have it. List of cities covered is here: http://www.prodigy.com.mx/infinitum_adsl/prod_infinitum_cobe...

Roger, the choices really depend on where you want to be located, as well as what type of work you want to do over the connection. I do remote work involving logging into other computers, and satellite just didn't cut it. I'm now in a location with DSL and it is world's apart.

If you haven't chosen a location yet: if you need any sort of fast response time, do lots of streaming (video etc), log into remote computers, need to upload anything more than text emails, or want VoIP phone service or the like, I recommend finding a spot that has DSL via Telmex. No comparison on speed and cheaper to boot.

If you already are in a given city: See if DSL is available. If not, satellite can definately work depending on the circumstances. If you have specific questions from a non-salesman (no offense intended, Bajabus), I've played with both Starband and DirecWay, so ask away.

BajaNomad - 6-10-2004 at 11:35 AM

Quote:
The only problem is that you do need to be in an area where they offer their cable service, currently thats tecate, tijuana, ensenada, and mexicali. heres their website:

So, if you're in an office building in Tijuana, they can hook you up, or it depends upon whether the building is wired for cable? And how much is it per month? I see from their site that basic cable service is 310 pesos/mo, but how much for the Internet service?

Thanks,
--
Doug

JESSE - 6-10-2004 at 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Quote:

So, if you're in an office building in Tijuana, they can hook you up, or it depends upon whether the building is wired for cable? And how much is it per month? I see from their site that basic cable service is 310 pesos/mo, but how much for the Internet service?

Thanks,
--
Doug

They offer service pretty much in all the region, if they have a cable line going near your building, they will install the wires from the pole to your home or business, and basic cable service is like 28 bucks a month, unlimited.

Dave - 6-10-2004 at 06:25 PM

I have *band here in Baja (near Rosarito) and I have found it to be adequate for my needs. I bought the hardware off of Ebay for $175 and local installed it for about the same $$. I don't share my system but I know of some who run 10 PC's networked and share the cost.

Germanicus - 6-14-2004 at 02:06 PM

bajabus,
what does that mean > zeig hiel,,,, zeig hiel.
Does that has something to do with: Sieg Heil?????
Have fun!
Germanicus

sin nombre - 6-14-2004 at 07:09 PM

.... "Haben Sie RECHT", Germanicus. Zeig and Sieg are pronounced differently. Good call....