BajaNomad

the garlic man

4baja - 5-9-2004 at 05:31 AM

is he still around down mulege way? i'm going through there in 2 weeks and would like to pick up a few braids. he was real old the last time i saw him and may have passed on.:coolup:

Desertbull - 5-9-2004 at 08:00 PM

Stopped and talked to the Garlic Man last month at Vizcaino...truck full of Garlic ropes loaded into his truck...

$5 a rope for multiple ropes..brought some home for Shilo...she almost smiled more than when she saw the photo of you after the trip...

Check out the photo gallery...I loaded 1825 photos of the trip there yesterday...

4baja - 5-10-2004 at 06:30 AM

thanks tim, i'll check them out and i'll be looking for that guy. :coolup:

KurtG - 5-10-2004 at 09:08 AM

I think you are refering to Fernando Aguilar who died a few years ago. I had the pleasure of knowing him and his family when my children and I lived in Mulege in the mid-70's. He was a fine man who had led a very interesting life. Kerry Otterstrom (El Vikingo) devoted a chapter to him in his book on Mulege. His little grocery store was where the Pizza Pronto is now and he and the family lived in the same building. He could often be found sitting in the next room with his guitar. Just a great guy and it was a pleasure to know and spend time with him.

Bob H - 5-10-2004 at 09:11 AM

You can purchase nice sized garlic ropes at the local market in Mulege (the one located on the way to El Patron) for 30 pesos. 40 pesos for larger garlic cloves.
Bob H

Skeet/Loreto - 5-10-2004 at 11:36 AM

Kurt G:
Were you there when Saul was operating the Hotel Mulege?
there were as bunch of Guys from Fresno Calif. who could consume Barrells of Gin in a given Day.If I remember correctly Fred Mazzi out of Fresno Hauled a lot of Gin Drinkers to the Pig Roast where you could Talk with "Baja Patty" all Night.

Skeet/Loreto

"In God I Trust'

P.S. I am still looking for a small Juaca Indian with One Bad Eye who at one time was Patty's Pistoleria. Know any thing about him are an American known as :MonteNegro". Skeet

KurtG - 5-10-2004 at 04:36 PM

Yes, used to hang out at the Hotel Mulege bar quite a lot. Unfortunately I never met Baja Patty but have visited her former place across the bay a number of times in recent years. Don't specifically remember the Fresno group but there certainly was some serious drinking done at that bar!

4baja - 5-11-2004 at 06:25 AM

kurt do you remember the old german that lived out by el sombrero? i used to run into him years ago at the bar and allways thought that he may have been a hideaway N-zi by the way he used to treat his driver. its been a long time:coolup:

KurtG - 5-11-2004 at 08:44 AM

No, I don't think I crossed paths with him. Sounds like someone one would remember, especially since the Gringo population was so small back then. I lived right in Mulege in a small house behind Las Casitas and since I had two pre-school age children my evening socializing was a little limited. We were there full time in '75 and then much of '76.