BajaNomad

Flew the plane!

fishbuck - 9-22-2008 at 08:49 PM

Okay, I finally got a chance to fly my Baja plane and it flies very good.
I did find 1 little problem when I was doing the engine run-up so had to take it back. But Tom the owner/mechanic fixed it in about 10 minutes and I was on my way.
I only got to fly it for about 1 hour so need to go back and finish the check-out with about 1 more hour's flying.
The instructor was pleased with my flying and I felt good in the plane.
It's nice to know I've still got it.:cool:
So come on everybody. Let's plan a trip!!!

LancairDriver - 9-22-2008 at 09:42 PM

Good to hear your in the air and feel comfortable with the airplane. Enjoy your Baja flying and fishing and fly safe.

Skeet/Loreto - 9-23-2008 at 06:37 AM

Great Fishbuck.!!

Get some ShortField Work, landing and Takeoffs, Check your Load, Passengers and Fish coming back and have some great Trips!

Skeet

capt. mike - 9-23-2008 at 07:41 AM

way to go Bucky. Tell Tom hi for me, he did 2 annuals on my PA24 before i quit commuting to SD 2004. great guy.
so what was the eng thang?
ask him about his place at gonzaga i think.

Probably just replaced the crank-shaft

thebajarunner - 9-23-2008 at 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
way to go Bucky. Tell Tom hi for me, he did 2 annuals on my PA24 before i quit commuting to SD 2004. great guy.

or some simple thing like that
:yes::yes::yes::yes:

Seriously, that is great news,
have a great trip and tell us all about it...

woody with a view - 9-23-2008 at 08:01 AM

da plane!
da plane!

fishbuck - 9-23-2008 at 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike

Broken ground wire on the left mag. Tom had it fixed in minutes.
Played with the Garmin GNS 430 a little. Very cool.

BajaGringo - 9-23-2008 at 11:28 AM

Congrats!!!

Any pictures to post???

fishbuck - 9-24-2008 at 04:56 PM

Here's my new plane! Or atleast the plane I would like to use. I doubt if they allow Mexico and almost for sure no dirt runways. But a guy can dream a little:

http://www.plusoneflyers.org/FleetPages/N4363Q.htm

At about 200mph it will fly 1000 miles. Not quite a jet but getting closer!

"Some aircraft may be available for flight destinations in Mexico and Canada."

I found this on there webpage. What a tease!

[Edited on 9-25-2008 by fishbuck]

TonyC - 9-24-2008 at 08:16 PM

Ok Mike. I'm down. Looking forward to a few trips with....has to be somewhere in Baja California, on dirt.

Tony

Sharksbaja - 9-24-2008 at 08:28 PM

Bucko, careful there,:lol: you're scaring people!:lol:

fishbuck - 9-24-2008 at 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja

The only scary part is the $280/hour rental cost. About $45/person to go 200 miles.

toneart - 9-24-2008 at 08:50 PM

Go for it, bucky! You know you have to. I commend you for the passion to live your dream. Someday, when it fits with my needs, I would fly with you if you can overlook the white knuckles. :o

fishbuck - 9-24-2008 at 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TonyC
Ok Mike. I'm down. Looking forward to a few trips with....has to be somewhere in Baja California, on dirt.

Tony

Virgin America
Flight 948 7:30am
San Francisco, CA (SFO) 9:05am
San Diego, CA (SAN) 1hr 35min - Nonstop
$138

I can't imagine why you would drive all the way down!!! I'll pick you up at the airport.

Sharksbaja - 9-24-2008 at 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja

The only scary part is the $280/hour rental cost. About $45/person to go 200 miles.

Yep, I read that too!:O

LancairDriver - 9-24-2008 at 09:32 PM

Fishbuck, I'm sure you know if you were to take the Malibu down you will have to go light on fuel or people as your payload (useful load 1390lbs. less fuel weight of 720 lbs. for 120 gallons of fuel will only leave you 670 lbs. for people and baggage.) No gordos allowed, me included! Thats the problem with 4 or 6 place airplanes whether prop or jet, not to mention the cost of fuel at 5 to 6 bucks/gal.

fishbuck - 9-24-2008 at 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LancairDriver
Fishbuck, I'm sure you know if you were to take the Malibu down you will have to go light on fuel or people as your payload (useful load 1390lbs. less fuel weight of 720 lbs. for 120 gallons of fuel will only leave you 670 lbs. for people and baggage.) No gordos allowed, me included! Thats the problem with 4 or 6 place airplanes whether prop or jet, not to mention the cost of fuel at 5 to 6 bucks/gal.

I haven't done the math yet on the Malibu. But it would get to B. Asuncion or Mulege on about 80 gallons round. About!
So that should leave me about 800-900 lbs for people and stuff. So it will need to be Standard Weght pax or lighter.

But so far I'm just fantazing about flying 200mph. Do kill my buzz with reality man.:lol:

dao45 - 9-24-2008 at 10:03 PM

Count me in.I'll go on a diet if I have to.One good thing you dont have to figure in much for beer as weight.They got it there

LancairDriver - 9-24-2008 at 10:05 PM

Actually they show a Knots True Airspeed of 215 for the Malibu. In mph this is 247 mph! Hows that for speed? Almost as fast as a Lancair.

fishbuck - 9-24-2008 at 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LancairDriver
Actually they show a Knots True Airspeed of 215 for the Malibu. In mph this is 247 mph! Hows that for speed? Almost as fast as a Lancair.

The Lancair IVP is still my favorite! Is there a faster one yet?

LancairDriver - 9-24-2008 at 10:32 PM

They have been putting 750hp turbine engines in Lancair 4p's but only go 15-20 knots faster than the 350hp piston 4p's and burn 35 gallons/hr. They cruise at altitude about 360 mph. They climb like a rocket though- about 4,000 fpm. and accelerate like a dragster.

capt. mike - 9-25-2008 at 07:32 AM

you can take a malibu into dirt. i have seen several over the years at serenidad. a non event really.
so tony c. when and where?? i am game.

BBP's BAM trip is oct 9-12 coming up. Bouncing Around Mexico. (baja actually) starts in San Felipe thurs ends in Serenidad Sat nite for the porker fest. i will take pax from phx or if socal people want to drive to SF i'll pick up there and go south. Fri nite stop is a surprize none of the pilots know yet. could be anywhere between SF and mulege pac or SOC side.

Beach BAM
Departs: 10/9/2008
Returns: 10/12/2008

Join Jack and others as we do another open trip this time appropriately called, Beach BAM. (Beach Beat Around Mexico)
File your flight plan for San Felipe on October 9, 2008.
There we will have a chance to get Mexicanized, i.e. walk in the surf, lie in the sun, and / or perhaps partake in a drink or two.
The following morning, we will head out to our next destination, wherever it might be, as decided the night before.
Other then the first night, there are no plans, no safety net, no reservations. We are BAMing Mexico.
And, for your return, be sure you stop at an ASA airport where we are talking about US$3.70 per gallon. I am going to top off just as much as I safely can for my return to the states.
Want to go? Get out your charts, start thinking about where you have not been, and send us an e-mail that you will meet us in San Felipe the afternoon of the 9th. The hotel will be announced to all who indicate to us that they will meet us there.

seats open.

fishbuck - 9-25-2008 at 11:31 AM

No Malibu to Baja. :(

They aren't allowing any of their planes to Mexico and the Malibu never.
But I still want to fly it.
So the good ole Cherokee 6 is our sleek private little wannabe jet for now. But at least we have that.
Let's fly down to B. Asuncion and catch Yellowfin with Juan. I bet he's catching them just a few miles off he beach.

Question for Mike

thebajarunner - 9-25-2008 at 04:21 PM

We always topped off in Mexicali, northbound, because the avgas was much cheaper.

What is the 100LL price these days in Mexicali, or other Baja ports?

(for that matter, what is the comparable price up on this side, been a long time since I have poured fuel into a wing)

fishbuck - 9-25-2008 at 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by thebajarunner
We always topped off in Mexicali, northbound, because the avgas was much cheaper.

What is the 100LL price these days in Mexicali, or other Baja ports?

(for that matter, what is the comparable price up on this side, been a long time since I have poured fuel into a wing)

Corona Municipal Airport Corona, CA, USA
Fly Corona!
SS $5.09
25-Sep
update
Corona Air Ventures
SS $4.999
SS $4.899
GUARANTEED

capt. mike - 9-25-2008 at 06:09 PM

mexico avg about $3.70

stateside $5 to $6 and more!