BajaNomad

Any Off-roaders Here? Trip Mid-Oct '09

DeMinimis - 10-13-2008 at 09:10 AM

Hey Folks,

A group of us are getting together to do a little Baja run during the latter half of Oct '09. Yes, it a year from now. The group will consist of buggies/bajas, some dual sport bikes, perhaps a quad or two, and some Sportsmobiles. The route is fairly set, but not set in stone. Most likely starting at Gonazaga, heading south and back. All off-road (well, there is the customary paved sections here and there). This is for pure fun (not pre-running the 1000). If interested, drop me a note. Generally, you'll need to be self-supporting, but we'll likely have a few support rigs along just in case (I sleep in mine, so its got to be there).

Ken Cooke - 10-28-2008 at 07:22 PM

You can head east right before Coco's corner, and check out a place called, "Green Valley" as you make your way south. The Score races have been through this region, so, check past Score races through this area, and you'll find this route more easily. Don't forget your mudflaps!LOL

Green Valley

DeMinimis - 10-29-2008 at 09:42 AM

I read a report regarding this run a while back (dual sport motorcycles). Looks like a blast. Thanks.

DeMinimis - 11-10-2008 at 03:44 PM

Well, got some new shoes for the van in anticipation of the up-coming trip to Gonzaga and points south. 45 days and counting down. Green Valley, watch out:

Ken Cooke - 11-10-2008 at 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DeMinimis
Well, got some new shoes for the van in anticipation of the up-coming trip to Gonzaga and points south. 45 days and counting down. Green Valley, watch out:

How do those tires run on the street? I am running Interco TrXus MTs, and one of the tires is permanently out of balance. I heard the Toyos balance flawlessly - perfectly round, and take a beating.

DeMinimis - 11-10-2008 at 05:16 PM

Only had them for four days. I'm broke now. That's certain. I've never run a M/T on the street before (unless you count my buggy). Its different. When braking and starting off, you really feel them. However, when at say 20MPH+, they aren't that noticiable. I read a lot of reviews before I decided on these. Again, only four days on them, but happy so far. At least they are the correct load rating (E) instead of like my former tires. Very smooth at 70MPH (only guessing as our speed limits are 65mph).

Ken Cooke - 11-10-2008 at 07:05 PM

DeMinimis -- What is your point of origination? That foggy sky looks like you're in the Northwest somewhere...

DeMinimis - 11-10-2008 at 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
DeMinimis -- What is your point of origination? That foggy sky looks like you're in the Northwest somewhere...

I'm in The Beaver State.

Oregon?

Ken Cooke - 11-10-2008 at 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DeMinimis
Quote:

I'm in The Beaver State.

Those Toyos look like great tires. Very little weight needed to balance. Sportsmobile? You're camping in style! :bounce:

DeMinimis - 11-10-2008 at 10:26 PM

Thanks. Still haven't decided on a shower and no generator yet, but its coming along. At least the suspension is now up to snuff. Yes, OR.

Gadget - 11-11-2008 at 02:55 PM

Quote:
You can head east right before Coco's corner, and check out a place called, "Green Valley" as you make your way south. The Score races have been through this region, so, check past Score races through this area, and you'll find this route more easily. Don't forget your mudflaps!LOL

Green Valley

?? Calamuje wash ??

Ken Cooke - 11-11-2008 at 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gadget ?? Calamuje wash ??

Yes, I believe so.

Cypress - 11-11-2008 at 04:29 PM

Mud holes in the desert are few and far between.:lol: You could get stuck in one of 'em if you tried hard enough.:lol:

...ever heard of David K's Shell Island?

Ken Cooke - 11-11-2008 at 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Mud holes in the desert are few and far between.:lol: You could get stuck in one of 'em if you tried hard enough.:lol:

[sorry, these aren't resized for the forum]

David K - 11-12-2008 at 08:17 AM

Nice photo of the mud on the entrance to Shell Island Ken... You just had to drive into that hole, I see!:lol:

Yes, that's Calamajué Canyon/ River, Gadget...

Ken Cooke - 11-14-2008 at 08:14 AM

T-shirts for my group Baja outing are now on-sale. Hit the link below for more info...