BajaNomad

La Fonda Sunday Brunch!

Bob H - 5-17-2004 at 08:13 AM

I must tell you that the Sunday brunch buffet at La Fonda is absolutely unbelievable. $10.95 per person including unlimited bloody mary's. You will not believe your eyes! :o The food is outstanding and so much to choose from. I wonder if they also have this on Saturday, does anyone know?
Bob H

La Fonda Brunch

Baja Rhino - 5-17-2004 at 08:48 AM

Hi Bob
Nope only on Sunday and yes it is the best $10.95 anyone can spend for brunch
we try to do it once a month!!!

JESSE - 5-17-2004 at 01:16 PM

I know a lot of people love it, but my personal experience hasnt been good, cold food, tough meat, and water down beverages.

Nice view do.

Bob H - 5-18-2004 at 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
I know a lot of people love it, but my personal experience hasnt been good, cold food, tough meat, and water down beverages.

Nice view do.

I'd say "give it another shot" because we found the bloody mary's (ordered with gin) to be very nice and the foot cooked right in front of you. Trays were hot and the various stews very hot indeed. Great temales, very hot too. Fresh food everywhere.

elgatoloco - 5-18-2004 at 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H I wonder if they also have this on Saturday, does anyone know?
Bob H

Saturday Brunch:biggrin:

JESSE - 5-19-2004 at 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE

Nice view do.

I will give it another try, just because of you Bob, they should give you a comp bloody mary for that.

I'd say "give it another shot" because we found the bloody mary's (ordered with gin) to be very nice and the foot cooked right in front of you. Trays were hot and the various stews very hot indeed. Great temales, very hot too. Fresh food everywhere.

elgatoloco - 5-19-2004 at 09:09 PM

Bob H

Sunday Brunch is only on Sunday, so far.:biggrin:

Bob H - 5-20-2004 at 09:56 AM

egl, I was just wondering if they had a breakfast buffet similar to that. But, I've had breakfast from their menu, and it's very good too!

By the way, we had the chicken and the rooster wander by our table while we were sipping our bloodies! Very intertaining indeed. :lol:

elgatoloco - 5-21-2004 at 06:38 PM

Bob H

Just razzing!

The big red rooster is named Harlan, after my dad! :biggrin:

For real?

Sallysouth - 5-21-2004 at 09:10 PM

Come on Gato, You are pretty good, but the rooster named after your Dad?Whatcha got that I don't?Tell us the story? Sal

elgatoloco - 5-21-2004 at 10:00 PM

Tis true!

My pops was a regular customer at La Fonda BEFORE Dimitri was owner. He remains a fan to this day. He admits that SOMETIMES the food is not prepared perfectly and that ONCE in awhile the service is so-so, but he LOVES the ambiance and the music and the sunsets and the margaritas.

When Dimitri was forced to close the old La Fonda and start the new place my dad stopped by one morning for breakfast. Dimitri cooked him up some bacon and eggs on what was his front porch of his house and is now the patio dining area of El Royal La Fonda. Just as Dimitri placed my pops breakfast on the table the big red rooster hopped up onto the table and my pops instinctively brushed him off the table and told D that he should get him out of there! That a restaurant was no place for wild animals! D said "Oh no, he's family!" Sharmel, my other mother and my dad's girlfriend for the last 20 years, laughed and asked D "What's the rooster's name?" D smiled and said "Harlan, of course!" Since that day my father has acquired an affinity for 'wild animals', especially cute little roosters! :lol:

That, is the REST of the story!
:saint:

hey Bob H....

capt. mike - 5-22-2004 at 05:51 AM

about that "foot" cooked table side.....
what it's called on the menu? Filet of sole.......ouch!:rolleyes::coolup::cool::smug:

Thats a crack up!

Sallysouth - 5-22-2004 at 09:26 AM

I'll be sure to call the rooster by name when we go next( a coupla weeks)! When we were there last Joe was in Africa,with Sara,we were told by some of the staff.The food has always been great but since the changes, I think even better and the service is greatly improved! Of course the Margis are good but I liked em better in Margi glasses. Now they give em to you in tumblers! And ya gotta love the tortillas right off the griddle! :tumble:

Bob H - 5-23-2004 at 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sallysouth
And ya gotta love the tortillas right off the griddle! :tumble:

Slap some butter on those and you are in heaven! :tumble::spingrin:

Bob H - 5-23-2004 at 09:38 AM

Capt Mike, the "foot" is best served well done! :lol:

Ever had..

Sallysouth - 5-26-2004 at 09:20 PM

One of the banana Daqueries(sp)? To go to heaven with!And the Cordonices? Farm raised, I've been told by Joe.Best I've ever had.:bounce:

Bajabus - 5-26-2004 at 10:40 PM

I can vouch for gattos story. Lynna and I had the honor of going there with his family and we had a hoot. After having met Gatos dad on several occassions I can unabashedly say that he is a great guy with strong opinions, How charlane puts up with himwould be a classic love over mind study. Gatto and Barb I sure do miss you guys.

If you want to come out to this years powdermill party in Woodstock let me know....I promise I won't put you up at crazy ladies house again.

Bob H - 5-28-2004 at 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sallysouth
And the Cordonices? Farm raised, I've been told by Joe.Best I've ever had.:bounce:

Sallysouth, please tell me more about the Cordonices. What are they?
Bob H:?:

Cordonices

Sallysouth - 5-28-2004 at 12:34 PM

At least I think thats how you spell it! They are Quail and served with a light,but rich gravy! Tiny but tender and oh, so delicious!

elgatoloco - 5-31-2004 at 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajabus
I can vouch for gattos story. Lynna and I had the honor of going there with his family and we had a hoot. After having met Gatos dad on several occassions I can unabashedly say that he is a great guy with strong opinions, How charlane puts up with himwould be a classic love over mind study. Gatto and Barb I sure do miss you guys.

If you want to come out to this years powdermill party in Woodstock let me know....I promise I won't put you up at crazy ladies house again.

Bus, put us on the guest list for 2005!

We will be moving out of the casa for the re-model(you know the one we have been planing since the early 90?s :lol:)
in July.

We are in Spain right now heading for Portugal next

Talk to you soon!

HOPE ALL IS WELL!!!!

Bob H - 6-1-2004 at 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco
Quote:

EGL, were you near the costa del sol? If so, what towns did you visit? I'm interested to know if you went through Porto Banus... Bob H

elgatoloco - 6-6-2004 at 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
Quote:
Originally posted by elgatoloco
Quote:

EGL, were you near the costa del sol? If so, what towns did you visit? I'm interested to know if you went through Porto Banus... Bob H

No Porto Banus.

We hit Granada to see the Alhambra then hit the med at Malaga west to Marbella then inland to Ronda. The Costa de Sol is VERY crowded and built up and we prefer the beach in San Diego :biggrin:

The 'White Towns' of Andalusia are incredible. Portugal is ok so far.

Bob H - 6-6-2004 at 10:27 AM

EGL, the bridge in Ronda - an incredible sight. The Laurel Street bridge in San Diego that crosses 163 is designed after the bridge in Ronda - little known fact. Also, if you drove from Malaga to Marbella you passed through Puerto Banus (I think) - an incredible marina with many fantastic restaurants. I am positive you stopped for some paella along the way!
Bob H