BajaNomad

What are your opinions on Narco Corridos [Drug Ballads]?

Ken Cooke - 11-2-2008 at 10:25 PM

I spotted this video on YouTube, and I thought I'd ask.

Chalino was a casualty of the Drug wars, singing songs that named names, and he got killed for it. The songs remain, online, and he is considered the father of the drug ballads.

Chalino Sanchez - Bronco Fajiado
http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=_Mp-IAFZngY

Any opinions?

Ken

Ken Cooke - 11-2-2008 at 10:28 PM

This video features lots of pistols and women:
http://es.youtube.com/watch?v=RT753g0h1aw

Bajafun777 - 11-2-2008 at 11:12 PM

Well, as you say Ken it can lead to the grave when you sing about one of these over another, and he is not the only one that hit the ground over singing about these drug runners. Just like here when the rappers of WestCoast were shooting EastCoast. Later-------bajafun777

JESSE - 11-2-2008 at 11:15 PM

Hes was an idiot, there is absolutely nothing positive about his music.

geobas - 11-3-2008 at 12:06 AM

I listened to the video. In my opinion he was not shot to stop him from singing about narcos, but to just stop him from singing. Boy, he is really bad, and so in the band.

And only a pimp would have a chrome plated pistol with pearl grips and keep his finger on the trigger while he was waving it.

tjBill - 11-3-2008 at 01:15 AM

They sound like typical Northern Mexico music. I think it rather silly to sing about drug trafficking.

The BBC has this short video on Narcocorridos

http://www.bbc.co.uk/spanish/av/culture/2008/09/080917_narco...

LOSARIPES - 11-3-2008 at 04:17 AM

The "corridos" sing about a major event, people, horses. They make you remember, exalting the values (if any) of this or that. In many cases, they exploit the people's predisposition against the government and support the individuals portrayed elevating them to hero status.
The music is regional and as such, its quality is of of relative value within their genre. It may be good within its own little world. Outside of it, it just can't compete.
The image of the singer Chalino, believe it or not, is the prototype of many, way too many young mexican kids out there who play and sing his songs.
It is sad to see how this "cultural movement" has gained so much acceptance, supporting and admiring drug traffickers and outlaws. I guess it speaks of how Mexicans feel about their authority reps.

Ken Cooke - 11-3-2008 at 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE

Going from a farm hand in the Coachella valley to creating his own sub-genre of music isn't done by most idiots.

Eugenio - 11-4-2008 at 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
Quote:

Going from a farm hand in the Coachella valley to creating his own sub-genre of music isn't done by most idiots.

If you're saying that Chalino created the subgenre of narcocorridos out of the genre of corridos I'm afraid I don't quite buy it - narcocorridos go way back to the 50's and 60's.

As far as whatever (monetary) success he had - you could also argue that it's a testament to the free enterprise system of the US - he didn't (or coudn't) do it in Mexico.

I personally don't like the message that narcocorridos send - but that's subjective - and I'm not a proponent of cencorship.

The way I see it - corridos and narcocorridos are fantasy - tall tales. Anybody with a voice can participate. By murdering the occasional "artist", the real narco folk are simply introducing an element of THEIR reality into their domain. The narco lifestyle ain't pretty.

[Edited on 11-4-2008 by Eugenio]

Darwinism and the Artistic Ideal

MrBillM - 11-4-2008 at 11:01 AM

A demonstration of both.

I'm sure he died happy that he would become better-known after death as other artists have.

One can only hope for more to achieve such success.

CaboRon - 11-4-2008 at 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
A demonstration of both.

I'm sure he died happy that he would become better-known after death as other artists have.

One can only hope for more to achieve such success.

JESSE - 11-4-2008 at 06:39 PM

Quote:
Quote:

He didnt create a subgenre, but anyways, in that particular industry, you make it not because of your music, but because of the connections you have with top narco traffickers, and how much you risk your neck singing about killings and offending other drug dealers. I hardly think that has to do with anything related to good music.

Ken Cooke - 11-4-2008 at 08:54 PM

Chalino Sánchez was born and raised to a poor family in Las Flechas , Sinaloa, Mexico. His father was Santos Sánchez, his mother Senorina Felix. They had seven siblings, Armando, Lazaro, Regulo, Lucas, Espiridion (El Indio) ,Francisco and Juana. Chalino experienced tragedies and poverty at the age of 6, when his father passed away, throwing his family into turmoil. His sister Juana was raped by a local mafioso who lived nearby, prompting Chalino to act angrily at the incident. He killed the man, and then later flew to California, to escape mexican authorities.

In 1977, Chalino illegally migrated to the United States, accomplishing his route with the help of a local "pollero" (people smuggler) across the border of Baja California. Upon his arrival, he began working in the fields of Coachella and profiting from odd jobs given to him. While concentrating on his regular business, Chalino's sister, Juana Sánchez, introduced him to Marisela Vallejos Felix, who would later give birth to two of his children, Adán Chalino Sánchez Vallejos and Cynthia Sánchez Vallejos. Just as Chalino thought everything was going well, another tragedy occurred in his family when his brother, Armando Sánchez, was found murdered at a hotel. His brother was betrayed by a good friend of his. This event prompted Chalino to write and sing about tragedies, drug dealers and love songs.

[Edited on 11-5-2008 by Ken Cooke]

Has Had Family Members

Gypsy Jan - 11-4-2008 at 09:08 PM

Ken Cooke - 11-4-2008 at 09:12 PM

Quote:
Just as Chalino thought everything was going well, another tragedy occurred in his family when his brother, Armando Sánchez, was found murdered at a hotel. His brother was betrayed by a good friend of his. This event prompted Chalino to write and sing about tragedies, drug dealers and love songs.

Knowing this makes it easy to understand why he chose the themes preferred to sing about. His son, Adan Chalino Sanchez chose to stick only with love songs and ballads. Sadly, he died enroute to a concert in Sinaloa, Mexico in 2004. He was only 20 yrs. old at the time of death.

Locals Do Not Like the NT Noise

Gypsy Jan - 11-4-2008 at 09:15 PM

I am talking about young, middle class, college attending, serious good people.

We were having lunch with a group, a boom truck pulled up, blasting out the noxious sounds. They all cringed and tried to ignore the situation.

tripledigitken - 11-4-2008 at 09:46 PM

About as interesting as Gangsta Rap.

This is an interesting article

Ken Cooke - 11-4-2008 at 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
About as interesting as Gangsta Rap.

Muting the music mayhem - Los Angeles Times

[Edited on 11-5-2008 by Ken Cooke]

Iflyfish - 11-5-2008 at 12:30 AM

Well said Bill, for once we are on the same page. This sort of music, like Gangster rap barely qualifies as music and is corruptive to our shared values. I could slap silly any kid I hear referring to a woman as a "hoe" and from my perspective condoning drive by shooting is to support terrorism. I noticed the companion videos of the Mexican Gangsters with their Uzis and bad hair just itching to blow someone away. I also saw scenes of practice execution videos and the aftermath of the real thing. Glorification of this lifestyle gives young people, who might listen to this “music” a role model that is very hard for all of us to live with. Put weapons in the hands of uneducated, low self esteem and alienated youth and you have a future murder on your hands and you played a part in it.

I am not in favor of censorship but I do encourage the attachment of social stigma on things as destructive as Gangster Rap and this music.

Iflyfish

Los Tucanes, Chalino Sanchez, El de la Sierra, etc.

Ken Cooke - 11-5-2008 at 06:04 PM

Does anyone have a collection of these ballads at home? :?:

LOSARIPES - 11-10-2008 at 03:09 AM

NO need to have any. One can hear this noise anywhere one goes: Stores, taxi cabs, local parties, restaurants, the neighbor, etc. .... even at home, when a retard parks his car in front of your house all night long..... till 3am... free music for all !! why buy?... amongs other "balads", last night, I had to repeatedly listen to songs like: Hace un mes que no baila el muneco (Its been a month since "dolly" last danced), No te metas con mi cucu (Don't you mess with my cucu), Hijos de la (?) (Sons of b-tches), and something about taming a worm by sitting on it... really stupid lyrics. The guys and girls sang along, danced, drank and had lots of noisy fun. Different strokes, for different folks I guess....

That's what parties are made of!!

Ken Cooke - 11-10-2008 at 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LOSARIPESlast night, I had to repeatedly listen to songs like: Hace un mes que no baila el muneco (Its been a month since "dolly" last danced), No te metas con mi cucu (Don't you mess with my cucu), Hijos de la (?) (Sons of b-tches), and something about taming a worm by sitting on it... really stupid lyrics. The guys and girls sang along, danced, drank and had lots of noisy fun. Different strokes, for different folks I guess....

Here in my neighborhood, mostly retirees and young families predominate, and its sterile/quiet. The only noise comes from the train crossing 1 mile away and a little noise from the 91 freeway a couple of blocks away too. Sometimes I miss the liveliness of Tijuana, and I go there to hear the sounds of Latin America. :bounce:

Eugenio - 11-10-2008 at 11:33 AM

Ken - with all due respect - try living in a middle class neighborhood in Tijuana for a couple of years and then see how you enjoy the "liviliness".

When I lived in Mexicali I got up every morning about 3am because I wanted to get things done before the heat set in. There were nights when I didn't sleep at all because some group decided to share their damned music until the sun came up - that happened a couple nights a week on average. Try politely asking them to go elsewhere at 1 or 2 am. Now that a lively situation.

Trust me - you'll have a whole different perspective on Mexico if you try to work/make a living/raise a family there. No offense - just my 2 cents.

btw - why did you post this under political? - just curious....

Ken Cooke - 11-10-2008 at 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Eugenio
Ken - with all due respect - try living in a middle class neighborhood in Tijuana for a couple of years and then see how you enjoy the "liviliness".

When I lived in Mexicali I got up every morning about 3am because I wanted to get things done before the heat set in. There were nights when I didn't sleep at all because some group decided to share their damned music until the sun came up - that happened a couple nights a week on average. Try politely asking them to go elsewhere at 1 or 2 am. Now that a lively situation.

Political - because of all of the political implications this music is currently tied to. For one, you don't hear this on the radio in Mexico now.

Cypress - 11-10-2008 at 03:21 PM

Music is something to be enjoyed, not analyzed. Politics? :spingrin: Jeez! Have had an overdose of politics.;)

Political implications run throughout this genre -- for good reason.

Ken Cooke - 11-10-2008 at 03:44 PM

Mexico's forbidden songs
by Chris Summers and Dominic Bailey
BBC News Online

Can a musical genre be considered so dangerous as to be banned from the radio? Yes, according to the authorities in some parts of Mexico who have forced radio stations to take action in an attempt to stamp out the culture of "narco corridos", which they accuse of glamorising drug trafficking and gangsterism.

Corridos, or ballads, have been a Mexican tradition - especially in the north of the country - for at least 100 years.

The songs, based on polkas and waltzes, feature lyrics backed by accordions and brass bands.

The Mexican Revolution, which lasted from 1910 to 1917, triggered hundreds of corridos about legendary figures such as Pancho Villa and Emiliano Zapata.

But over the past 30 years the biggest growth area has been the narco corridos, which are based on the real lives of drug smugglers.

Among those heavily featured are the Arellano-Felix brothers, who ran a drugs cartel in the border city of Tijuana, and their arch-rival Amado Carrillo Fuentes, aka Lord Of The Skies, who was based in another frontier town, Ciudad Juarez.

Elijah Wald, a former blues guitarist who has written a book on narco corridos, told BBC News Online: "The first thing a drug runner would do after a successful run was to hire someone to write a corrido about it."

Corrido performers normally charge thousands of dollars, or tens of thousands of pesos, to write and perform such a piece.

Mr Wald said: "I spoke to one corrido writer who wanted to be smuggled into the US. The smuggler would normally charge $1,500 but he did it for free provided the writer wrote a corrido about it."

Also popular are immigration corridos, such as Tres Veces Mojado (Three Times A *******) which was also made into a movie.

Mr Wald said most narco corrido writers and performers would deny writing bespoke songs for the drug barons.

"I asked one of the most well known, Reynaldo Martinez, if he wrote corridos for hire. He said 'No, but sometimes someone who likes one of my songs might give me a Land Rover.'

Mr Wald said: "Los Tigres del Norte are the kings of the kings and I would be surprised if they had ever taken any money."

Corridos, and narco corridos, were now "ubiquitous" in Mexico and had spread to California, Texas, Florida and other places with large Hispanic populations, according to Mr Wald.

They have also become popular in Colombia and in other parts of central America, such as El Salvador.

In the US the market for Mexican regional music, including narco corridos, is worth about $300m a year, with Los Angeles being the hub of the narco corrido industry. Los Tigres' most recent album sold nearly 500,000 copies in the US alone.

Two of the newest stars, Lupillo Rivera and Jessie Morales, sport the shaven heads and jewellery fashionable with Hispanic gang members in East LA.

While gangsta rap has Tupac Shakur, narco corrido has Rosalino "Chalino" Sanchez, who was murdered in Culiacan, the capital of the chaotic state of Sinaloa in May 1992. He had earlier been involved in a shoot-out with a gunman at a gig.

Mariluz Gonzalez, a spokeswoman for LA-based Fonovisa Records, which represents Los Tigres and several other narco corrido stars, said: "They are not glamorising the drug dealers' lives, they are simply telling a story. They are not promoting it."

But the Mexican authorities, appalled at what they see as the glamorising of drug smugglers and gangsters, have sought to ban the genre. The Federal Communications Commission has also taken action against several Spanish-language radio stations in the US.

The Mexican Senate, unable to act itself because of freedom of speech legislation, exhorted individual states to restrict narco corridos, saying the songs "create a virtual justification for drug traffickers".

Since 2001 several Mexican states have negotiated "voluntary" bans with local radio stations in an attempt to keep narco corridos off the airwaves.

'Bad example'

Mario Enrique Mayans Concha, president of the Baja California branch of Mexico's Chamber of Radio and Television Industry, said: "Narco-ballads set a bad example for the younger generation."

Antonio Mejias-Rentas, entertainment editor with the Los Angeles-based La Opinion newspaper, said: "There is a mixed feeling about them in the Mexican community; while there is an appreciation for the art form, there is also concern about the glorification of violence and drug consumption, much like in the gangsta rap world."

He said Los Tigres were generally well-regarded, adding: "Some of their narco-themed songs are regarded as classics, but lately they are better known for songs about immigration and other social concerns."

Fonovisa's Mariluz Gonzalez said: "Corridos are a tradition that has been going since the Mexican Revolution.

"They are a way of telling the people what is going on. It might be the truth or it could be twisted, you can't really tell."

She admitted: "There are some groups who have taken money and glorified these narcos."

But she said the Mexican authorities had often taken action as a way of muffling criticism.

"The Tigres put out a song earlier this year called Las Mujeres del Juarez which was about the murders of women in Ciudad Juarez, which is a very controversial subject, and the local government did not like it."

Despite being banned from the airwaves on both sides of the border narco corrido artists continue to sell well, Ms Gonzalez said.

LOSARIPES - 11-11-2008 at 03:44 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by LOSARIPESlast night, I had to repeatedly listen to songs like: Hace un mes que no baila el muneco (Its been a month since "dolly" last danced), No te metas con mi cucu (Don't you mess with my cucu), Hijos de la (?) (Sons of b-tches), and something about taming a worm by sitting on it... really stupid lyrics. The guys and girls sang along, danced, drank and had lots of noisy fun. Different strokes, for different folks I guess....

Here in my neighborhood, mostly retirees and young families predominate, and its sterile/quiet. The only noise comes from the train crossing 1 mile away and a little noise from the 91 freeway a couple of blocks away too. Sometimes I miss the liveliness of Tijuana, and I go there to hear the sounds of Latin America. :bounce:

Yes, that's what parties are all about. Lots of fun, but not on my face (when I am not and don't want to be invited) and not when I want and need to sleep...
It is an invasion. It is an aggression. These young punks proudly exhibit a total lack of respect and consideration. I just don't see how anyone could sympathize with these retards.... ok I will chill out.... its just that I have not had enough sleep lately. I will get over....

Eugenio - 11-11-2008 at 02:37 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Eugenio

Political - because of all of the political implications this music is currently tied to. For one, you don't hear this on the radio in Mexico now.

Oh - ok - from your first post I thought you just wanted opinions on the music. I guess I don't see the political angle - as much as a taste/cultural/or maybe educational one.

Narcocorridos have been banned in the past - mostly voluntarily - with "encouragement" from the government - but it has never stuck. I sense a different feeling of mexicans toward nacrcocorridos now - especially among women - after all that Mexico has suffered in the past year especially - I think there is a genuine dislike/disgust with the words of the music - but other types of corridos are still about as popular as in the past.

I think they used to be a way of kind of tweeking Uncle Sam - or the US - and that's always good sport in Mexico - but now with the destruction that the narcos are wreaking there there's a different feeling.

Just my perspective.

LOSARIPES - 11-12-2008 at 03:50 AM

Corridos, as they were originally conceived are nice, fun and make you feel good. Its like a hero's tale.
They have now corrupted their essence, using them for drug cartels messaging, and to broadcast their victories over this or that. The old corridos (Tony Aguilar, Jose Alfredo Jimenez"s and others) are very nice, very Mexican, telling of the Mexican way.

luv2fish - 12-27-2014 at 04:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by geobas  
I listened to the video. In my opinion he was not shot to stop him from singing about narcos, but to just stop him from singing. Boy, he is really bad, and so in the band.

And only a pimp would have a chrome plated pistol with pearl grips and keep his finger on the trigger while he was waving it.

Just found this, Chalino, like most from Sinn-aloa had murdered and dealt drugs. Also his son "Chalinillo" was killed in a suspicious accident while on tour in the state of Sinaloa.

http://www.policemag.com/blog/gangs/story/2008/12/chalino-sa...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ad%C3%A1n_S%C3%A1nchez

durrelllrobert - 12-28-2014 at 10:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by LOSARIPES  
The "corridos" sing about a major event, people, horses. They make you remember, exalting the values (if any) of this or that. In many cases, they exploit the people's predisposition against the government and support the individuals portrayed elevating them to hero status.
The music is regional and as such, its quality is of of relative value within their genre. It may be good within its own little world. Outside of it, it just can't compete.
The image of the singer Chalino, believe it or not, is the prototype of many, way too many young mexican kids out there who play and sing his songs.
It is sad to see how this "cultural movement" has gained so much acceptance, supporting and admiring drug traffickers and outlaws. I guess it speaks of how Mexicans feel about their authority reps.

As I recall there were many ballads about our soldiers and the war in Vietnam but most of them, like the Ballad of the Green Beret were positive.

There are more than 300 songs on a new 13-CD box set titled Next Stop Is Vietnam. They range from a folk ballad released just before U.S. troops landed to a 2008 song about the aftereffects that veterans still suffer.

Hugo Keesing put the collection together. It's a project he's worked on since the early 1970s, when he taught psychology courses to U.S. troops a few hundred miles up the coast from Saigon.

http://www.npr.org/2010/11/11/131242902/-next-stop-is-vietnam-a-war-in-song