BajaNomad

Baja Places 47 Years Ago: ROSARITO

David K - 5-20-2004 at 10:45 PM

From the 1958 Lower California Guidebook by Gerhard & Gulick (describing Baja as observed in 1957, 47 years ago.

ROSARITO. Pop. 675. Communications: Telephone to Tijuana and Ensenada. A beach resort (good swimming). Stores, gas station. The Rosarito Beach Hotel ($5 single, $8 double, U.S. currency) has 3 bars, a dining room, swimming pool and tennis court. De Anza Motel has a dining room and bar. There is a powerful radio station, XERB. Landing strip 2,000 ft. long. The small valley of Rosarito was chosen in 1788 as the boundry between Upper and Lower California. However, when the peace treaty was signed after the Mexican War the boundry was moved up to Tijuana. The 1788 line ran from Rosarito across to the mouth of the Colorado River.

(personal note: as a kid, I listened to the Wolfman Jack Show broadcasting from XERB... around '68/'69). How about those hotel prices?!

JR, welcome home... you inspired my place choice this time!

[Edited on 5-21-2004 by David K]

1958 Lower California Guidebook $3.00!

David K - 5-21-2004 at 11:32 PM

I have a battered up 1958 Guidebook that I have been using to post this series. Today, at the used book store I frequent for great deals, I picked up a perfect condition (with cover jacket) '58 Gerhard & Gulick for three dollars! They also had Ben Hunter's great book 'The Baja Feeling' for three bucks... I didn't grab it, this time (I already have it).

XERB

bajalou - 5-22-2004 at 09:29 AM

I didn't know where it came from, but remember listening to XERB in my early Calif years - 1957 onward.

I need to find your bookstore David, as I am always wanting more Baja California history.

I remembered to ad the "California" this time.

:biggrin:

Baja Bernie - 6-3-2004 at 09:55 AM

David,
If it is still there please grab Hunter's book for me. I loaned my out and it never came home.

David K - 6-3-2004 at 11:17 PM

Okay Bernie, I will get it if it's still there.