BajaNomad

Followup on a "perilous tourist destination".

Braulio - 2-20-2003 at 03:30 PM

There was a thread a month or two ago that described TJ as "the most perilous tourist destination in the world" or something to that effect.

Here's a link to an SD Union article that states what I think is a little closer to the reality:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/mexico/20030220-9999_7m20...

"Some 350 U.S. citizens die on the Baja California peninsula every year from cancer, car wrecks, drug overdoses or the sicknesses that come with old age. About a half-dozen are confirmed homicide victims, the U.S. Consulate in Tijuana said. "

What happened to the subject of this article was a tragedy - there's no arguing that point - but let's keep in mind that there are probably about 100 thousand US citizens living in Baja. And that a whole lot of partying goes on there.

Take care.

Braulio

JESSE - 3-10-2003 at 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by groversomewhat more worrisome to me than partying at an isolated location with strangers you just met is the drug cartel factor. Hang in TJ at night and you're probably going to rub elbows with some of the most ruthless drug enforcers in the world.

Highly unlikely, drug cartel people prefer high class expensive establishments, only frecuented by rich Mexicans, the typical gringo hangout on Revolucion or Rosarito doesnt even have decent liquor for the rich cartel bastards. Its very well known here in TJ wich are the places the mafiosos like to go to, and trust me, if you see 5 gringos there on a weekend, its rare.

Dave - 3-11-2003 at 12:21 AM

"Just a thought when you might be drunk and boisterous, in a nation where gringos are sometimes disliked."

Perhaps that is why they are disliked. (Just a thought)
;D