BajaNomad

Humback whales in San Pablo

shari - 12-11-2008 at 09:50 PM

Early this morning, I had a fantastic whale dream that I was swimming amongst a group of whale babies who were like puppies, all jumping around me and licking my face etc....just so wonderful, I woke up in a very good mood. The weather was picture perfect....a real chamber of commerce day.
We took Timo, Barbareno and Surfdoc and his daughter to a lobster, crab feast in San Pablo. Upon arriving...Barb says....hey look, what's that....lo and behold, there were a bunch of spouts just off the point there. I thought oh yeah, OK, some migrating grays...nice....but they stayed in the bay feeding all afternoon and when they came in closer to watch us girls dancing to some great Santana tunes....I realized they were humpbacks!!! It was pretty cool....we all had a terrific time and entertained the fishermen I'm sure.

fishbuck - 12-11-2008 at 11:16 PM

That sound like one whale of a dream alright!

jorgie - 12-12-2008 at 06:49 AM

Humbacks.....those guys are smart , they went south for the winter. How long has it been since you have seen a humback Shari ???

shari - 12-12-2008 at 07:57 AM

It is rare to see humpbacks close to shore here...it's the first time I've seen them in close like that...but it's been a whacky wonderful year and the tuna are still in close too and there is still LOTS of feed everywhere...although I'm sure it was Barbarenos velvet hip action that attracted them. There were approximately eight pairs I think feeding heavily....as were the gringos gorfing lobster, crab and caracoles...oh yeah and cerveza...surfdoc plied the fishermen with bloody deck stickers and handfuls of lures.