BajaNomad

Who are these guys...???

BajaCactus - 6-1-2004 at 07:10 PM

These are some photos of some early nomads going thru Baja, I do not know the date that the photo was taken, but in the license plate of the truck in the back says 1948. I would really love to know the story behind this picture...anybody recognizes them....???

And the companion....

BajaCactus - 6-1-2004 at 07:17 PM

I believe this girl was the companion of the above nomad.... also in this picture you see (from left to right) my great-great grandmother (Teyita), my great grandmother (Ma. Luz) and my grandmother (Esther).

They had a small store, gas station, motel and restaurant... since 1903 more or less. Of course, they begun with the store and then the motel and so on....

Antonio M.
BajaCactus
"Where the Baja is much more then a dream..."

David K - 6-1-2004 at 08:13 PM

Antonio, your contributions are priceless! Thank you so much for the look back in time!

I think 1948 was a few years before Don Jimmy Smith went south, otherwise that would be a good guess :). Marquis McDonald began his trip to all of the Baja missions in 1949 ('Baja: Land of Lost Missions'), but he traveled with a friend (Glenn Oster) in a Willys Jeep CJ-2A.

Sure....

BajaCactus - 6-1-2004 at 08:42 PM

In El Rosario, going on highway 1 (do not get loss, many highways over there..;))... just after passing in front of the gas station, there is a 90 degrees curve....just on the curve, going south to the right, there is an old house. That was the bussiness, and the photo was taken looking towards the north. In one of the pictures, in the back you see a place that say Cafe... that is today's Mama's Espinozas Restaurant. Although in those years she was just established...

Natalie Ann - 6-2-2004 at 11:20 AM

What wonderful pictures, BajaCactus. Thanks for posting them.