BajaNomad

Bahia De Los Angeles (Maps & Charts)

SoCalAl - 6-9-2004 at 07:42 AM

Hello Everyone,
I will be staying in BOLA from 7-2-04 to 7-10-04 and would like to know where I can find either maps or charts with the details that I hear people talking about. I have the Baja California Almanac but it has little detail as far as the names of the fishing grounds. I keep hearing names like Las Animas and several other points but I have no clue where they are. It would be nice to have a map of all the famous points Doc talks about on his fish reports. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Also do you think the Dorado will be hitting in early July and if so what kind of outfit is best? Live bait or jigs?:?:

El Almirante - 6-9-2004 at 08:21 AM

Get the "Baja Catch" book. It has good info on fishing in BOLA and throughout Baja. Also get the "Sea of Cortez Charts-North" (San Felipe to Mulege'). Produced by "Fish-N-Map",303-421-5994. Any decent tackle shop in SoCal will have them.Don't know about Dorado in July-we always fish March or April.

SoCalAl - 6-9-2004 at 08:56 AM

Thanks for the info Almirante, according to the fish chart at the camp gecko web site the dorado are there in July. I noticed that or seems like the yellow tail are hitting earlier than usual. At least the migrating yellows and I hope that it is the same case for the Dorado. Do you know if fish n map hasa web site?

Alex

Alex

Debra - 6-9-2004 at 11:14 AM

Hi Alex, I heard you were going to be at BOLA. It will be good to see you again (aka Travel Pearl) :)

SoCalAl - 6-9-2004 at 01:24 PM

Hi Debra
I thought I recognized your posts but was not sure. I hope to share some of the dishes we cook with you. I hope you will be cooking the clam chowder again. I will probobly bring crackers this time around. I am planing on making ceviche from the trigger fish fillets this time. I will bring the tostadas.

Charts

Big Al - 6-9-2004 at 03:28 PM

Alex:

you can get a fishing chart of the area from SQC co in barrio logan. It is a pretty good reference, although I found a couple of mistakes. It is great for showing the reefs and depths.

Big Al

Alex

Debra - 6-9-2004 at 03:36 PM

Yep it's me :) I've already got my clam steamer packed. And I'm stocking up on Wasbi and Ginger for Sushi (just in case anybody wants to share some fish.) :yes:

Is Juan coming with you?

SoCalAl - 6-9-2004 at 04:07 PM

Thanks Big Al but I may sound like an idiott but I don't know what SQC is.

Debra, Juan is coming as well as my son. He could not let up on this opportunity. I am sure that we will catch fish that we can sashimim so bring plenty of the wasabi, soy souce and rice.

Thanks

SoCalAl - 6-9-2004 at 04:09 PM

I would also like to ask what are the species or type of clam that we dig out at BOLA. It's not pizmo right?

Santiago - 6-9-2004 at 08:35 PM

I'm hoping that 'z' was a typo.:)

4baja - 6-10-2004 at 06:43 AM

there chocolates and c-ckals, there are some larger ones to be had but not pismos. i'll be there on the 3rd with the boat in tow. go to any good southern ca. tackal store and they can get you the folding water proof maps for that area that show all the reefs and fishing spots. will see you then.:coolup:

SoCalAl - 6-10-2004 at 07:13 AM

No it wasn't a typo and I am not afraid to admit it:P That shows you how much I know about clams. The only thing I know for sure is I like to eat them.

4baja, thanks for the info, I will look in to it. I will try saveon tackle in Santa Fe springs.

4Baja

Debra - 6-10-2004 at 10:41 AM

That cooler of your's keeps things frozen right? Would you mind bringing along a couple of pounds of bacon (I will reimburse you) I should arrive on the 30th.

Sounds like we have the makings of a Pot-Luck, how about the 4th.? I'll start the menu:

Debra: Clam Chowder, Sushi (providing I have fish)

Alex:

Anybody else? :biggrin:

David K - 6-10-2004 at 08:10 PM

I'm praying for a big irrigation, sod or lighting job soon, so the kids and I can be there! Last year was when we met Alex and Juan... Here's that last two July 4th weeks I was in Bahia.

http://vivabaja.com/van1/page6.html

http://vivabaja.com/703

[Edited on 6-11-2004 by David K]