BajaNomad

EXPLORATIONS IN LOWER CALIFORNIA: 1868 (as seen through the eyes and pen of J. Ross Browne)

David K - 3-25-2009 at 04:35 PM

As I collect old, out of print works on Baja... and find things that I think would be of interest... I will post them here for you to enjoy. J. Ross Browne's artwork from his travels in Baja and the Southwest in the 1860's is well known and provides a unique perspective into the hardships of life in those days.

Continued...

David K - 3-25-2009 at 04:58 PM

There are more... but this says a lot about how Baja impressed Mr. Browne! :lol::yes::light:

Mango - 3-25-2009 at 05:07 PM

David K, Thanks for the artwork! Some of those are really nice.

Though I'd have to stay away from his "old friends" and watch for snakes in my bedroll. I really enjoyed "San Antonio" y "Todos Santos"

Is that book still in print or available online anywhere? (Public domain, etc?)

David K - 3-25-2009 at 05:24 PM

I just got it on eBay last week... It was a 1952 reprint of the three 1868 Harper's Magazine articles by Browne.

Mexitron - 3-25-2009 at 05:43 PM

Those were great to see--thanks David! Good job hunting on ebay.

David K - 3-26-2009 at 09:10 AM

Thanks Steve and Mango... pretty fun cartoons of Baja travel!

David K - 3-27-2009 at 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajaamy
I love these historic interests & literature threads. You never know what will show up here! Well, well--another book I need to buy. Thanks for posting these, David. Really nice!

Amy

p.s. For anyone who is interested, there several copies of this title for sale at ABE books (you need to cut and paste the whole address into your browser):

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?tn=Exploration...

[Edited on 3-27-2009 by bajaamy]

Hi Nomads... Here is the link Amy posted to Abe Books listings:
Browne & Spencer Murray books

NOTE: There are TWO different books, plus the original magazine listed in that link list!

The main one listed is a 1966 book by Spencer Murray with SOME of the Browne cartoons, along with 1966 photos of the same places and more text in the form of travel log following Browne's cape and Magdalena region trip. I have that one, as well... The cartoons were not as clear in it, as in the 1952 booklet.

The one I posted cartoons from is the 1952 booklet... has all three Harper Magazine articles reproduced in it.

Happy shopping!

[Edited on 4-5-2009 by David K]

Cardon Man - 4-4-2009 at 03:51 PM

Those are fascinating drawings. Thanks for posting!

One can only image what an amazing place Baja must have been in 1868.

Pompano - 4-4-2009 at 03:59 PM

David, great windows of a Baja Sur we can never know, but can certainly appreciate. Thanks for your excellent research and sharing it on Nomads..again!

David K - 4-4-2009 at 09:52 PM

De nada Cardon Man and Roger!

Ken Bondy - 10-16-2009 at 07:22 PM

Those are fantastic David. How did I miss them the first time around??

David K - 10-16-2009 at 09:07 PM

There is a lot of posts on Nomad, and we can miss the good ones at times... That's why I will go back to interesting posts from the past and bump them up... when I don't see a lot of interesting current stuff... also, for the new Nomads to enjoy.

Thanks for the comments Ken!

jls - 10-17-2009 at 12:41 PM

Very glad I got a look at your posts David. Very very interesting and really gets the historical imagination cooking as well!

bacquito - 10-17-2009 at 12:52 PM

Thanks David, interesting.

Vince - 10-19-2009 at 11:16 AM

Thanks, David. It's always interesting to get a peek into life in Baja back then. It must have been hard living and traveling all those years ago.

David K - 10-20-2009 at 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Vince
Thanks, David. It's always interesting to get a peek into life in Baja back then. It must have been hard living and traveling all those years ago.

I think this drawing says that best!:

wessongroup - 10-20-2009 at 02:43 PM

A Thorny Path, can't imagine what it must have been like in those days... Thanks and what a find on ebay

David K - 10-20-2009 at 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup
A Thorny Path, can't imagine what it must have been like in those days... Thanks and what a find on ebay

Yes indeed! Remember to shake out your sleeping bag before getting in!

Beachgirl - 10-21-2009 at 07:28 AM

David K, I just Googled J. Ross Browne and was amazed at the sheer volume of illustrated articles he wrote during his lifetime. Born in Ireland in 1817, and died about seven years after the publication of your article. A world traveler, to say the least. Interesting man, and so talented with pen and ink. Remember photography was a very young media, and though I imagine he probably hauled along a huge camera, most of his action drawings came right out of his head. Amazing!

David K - 10-22-2009 at 08:45 PM

Thanks for that Beachgirl!

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 7-29-2010 at 06:23 PM

David, thank you again for such a wonderful post. you have quite a talent of keeping my attention.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

Bajatripper - 10-16-2010 at 07:47 PM

David
Great post, as usual. I have a copy of Murphy's revisit of Brown's journey, done in 1968 (100 years later) and always enjoyed the drawings. But your source has much, much more. I'll have to keep an eye out for it. What did you have to pay for that reprint, if you don't mind me asking?

Juanita - 10-17-2010 at 07:19 AM

I had not seen most of these illustrations before and I enjoyed them very much. Thank you! I do have another book by J. Ross Browne, which is an important resource for California and Baja California. "Resources of the Pacific Slope, a statistical and descriptive summary of the mines and minerals, climate, topography, agriculture, commerce, manufactures, and miscellaneous productions, of the states and territories west of the Rocky Mountains, with A Sketch of the Settlement and Exploration of Lower California." In that section on Baja California in the back of the book he includes some writings not otherwise accessible: "Historical Summary of Lower California from its Discovery in 1532 to 1867" by Alexander S. Tayor; "The Lower California Company", "Explorations of Lower California" by William M. Gabb; "Report of Captain C. M. Scammon of the U. S. Revenue Service on the West Coast of Lower California"; "Journal of the Expedition of Mr. J. D. Hawks and Party".

David K - 10-17-2010 at 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajatripper
David
Great post, as usual. I have a copy of Murphy's revisit of Brown's journey, done in 1968 (100 years later) and always enjoyed the drawings. But your source has much, much more. I'll have to keep an eye out for it. What did you have to pay for that reprint, if you don't mind me asking?

Hi Steve, sorry I don't remember... don't think it was very much... it is a small thin paperback. The content is awesome (as you can see above)!

vgabndo - 10-17-2010 at 04:41 PM

I bought a copy several years ago. I don't collect that sort of thing so I have the same re-print for sale if you want it, make an offer. It is in good condition.

jahImpala3 - 11-20-2010 at 11:32 AM

Just got to this post, amazing!

Vince - 11-20-2010 at 12:40 PM

Thanks for sharing those old and very interesting drawings and stories, David. We all appreciate it.

David K - 12-4-2010 at 08:24 AM

Glad you enjoy it... Baja has so many levels of interesting things from the past to the present... a true magic place if there ever was one!

cjesme - 12-4-2010 at 09:00 AM

These are great illustrations! A lot of History!

Von - 6-18-2011 at 02:24 PM

Sooooo cool! love the pictures!

watizname - 3-2-2013 at 10:22 AM

Very interesting stuff. :coolup:

David K - 9-10-2020 at 12:35 PM

Bump for new Nomads to enjoy... Just a sample of the cool stuff on the Nomad Historic Interests & Literature Forum! :light: