BajaNomad

Turtle bust

Pages:  1  2    4  ..  19

BajaNuts - 4-17-2009 at 02:18 PM

but it's their CULTURAL HERITAGE!

never mind the fact that no one knew how to hunt, harpoon or butcher the whale. They used 50-cal rifles.

oops.....sorry, is that hijacking?

[Edited on 4-17-2009 by BajaNuts]

Cypress - 4-17-2009 at 02:35 PM

BajaNuts, No that's just telling it like it is.:)

tripledigitken - 4-17-2009 at 02:42 PM

Let's not talk about gill netting of salmon/steelhead river runs either.

Cypress - 4-17-2009 at 02:51 PM

Yep, they have a license to kill.

BajaGringo - 4-17-2009 at 02:59 PM

Gee, what happened to Ramuma???

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Cypress - 4-17-2009 at 03:24 PM

Who's Ramuma?:?:

BajaGringo - 4-17-2009 at 03:30 PM

A troll with a black glove...

ELINVESTIG8R - 4-17-2009 at 03:42 PM

OLIGUACOMOLE I for one would like to see pictures of you guys and the pictures of the opposition side. Please add all your pictures to photobucket or imageshack and post them in here with the stories you have. Eduardo, who is he do you know him? Munoz who is he and what proof do you have he is a crook. Etc, etc, etc. If you did not kill the turtles and cook them yourself then I am sorry you are in trouble. But if you had anything to do with it killing and cooking them I have no sympathy. Is that fair to say? Ok now how about them photos and your side of the story now that Eduardo said his side.

Absurdity

Dave - 4-17-2009 at 03:49 PM

$750,000 peso fine and up to 9 years in jail for a friggin turtle?

I know someone who got 16 months and paid the family $8,000 dollars for manslaughter. Was driving drunk and killed a mother and two daughters.

$2,666 per person vs $75,000 per turtle.

If it'll pi$$ people off I'll try turtle stew.

CaboRon - 4-17-2009 at 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave

I know someone who got 16 months and paid the family $8,000 dollars for manslaughter. Was driving drunk and killed a mother and two daughters.

Wel then, I hope you get the full fine and the 9 years ...

ELINVESTIG8R - 4-17-2009 at 04:07 PM

Those who are caught killing, maiming, torturing, cooking and or/or consuming protected sea turtles should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law and severely punished. I don't give a Sh.t if it is tradition. It's against the law.

Byron - 4-17-2009 at 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo
Gee, what happened to Ramuma???
His cloak was removed and he dried up like a slug in the sun!

fishbuck - 4-17-2009 at 04:11 PM

Anyone know where to get Turtle Tacos?:cool:

Just kidding! If they are endangered and it's against the law I would never touch one. I have seen them before when out fishing.

[Edited on 4-17-2009 by fishbuck]

CaboRon - 4-17-2009 at 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
Anyone know where to get Turtle Tacos?:cool:

Just kidding! If they are endangered and it's against the law I would never touch one. I have seen them before when out fishing.

[Edited on 4-17-2009 by fishbuck]

Fishbuck,

If you ever hear their screams and cries while being slaughtered ......

You would never consider eating one .....

They are not killed before the butchering starts ....

CaboRon

OLIGUACOMOLE - 4-17-2009 at 06:43 PM

I HAVE BEEN UNABLE TO LOGIN UNDER MY NAME. KEEPS TELLING ME TO RETRY. SO I AM USING MY WIFE'S LOGIN.

I WILL TRY AND SEND PICTURES OF ALL TOMORROW. WHO IS WHO?
MUNOZ IS MUNOZ. WILL INCLUDE A PICTURE OF OLIVIA AND ME. I ALSO HAVE A PICTURE OF SO CALLED EDDIE.

EDDIE IS MUNOZ IN THE NOMAD, BUT HE(MUNOZ) HAS A FELLOW THAT WORKS FOR HIM(BODY GUARD) NAMED EDDIE. I BELIEVE MUNOZ WRITING IN THE NAME OF EDDIE IS QUITE BELIEVABLE.

A WORKER OF MINE IDENTIFIED MUNOZ RETURNING TO THE HOTEL FROM THE NORTH IN A RED CAR YESTERDAY(THURSDAY). THERE IS NOT INTERNET SERVICE IN THE HOTEL SO YOU MIGHT NOT BE BLESSED WITH MORE MUNOZ COMMENTS TONIGHT.

WITH OUR COURT CASES NEARING THE END OF A SIX YEAR LEGAL BATTLE WITH MUNOZ. WHY WOULD WE BE SERVING TURTLE ON A BUSY HOLIDAY WEEKEND WITH ALL THE CUSTOMERS HERE? WE HAVE NEVER KNOWINGLY HAD TURTLE SOUP IN OUR RESTAURANT, OR WOULD WE ALLOW IT.

JUST THE SUNDAY BEFORE THIS SATURDAY MY DOGS WERE BARKING. I WENT OUT TO CHECK. TRUCKS AND MILITARY GUYS WERE ALL AROUND THE HOTEL. THEN SOME IN TRUCKS SPED TO THE RESTAURANT. I GREETED BUENAS DIAS TO A BUNCH OF MILITARY GUYS WITH BLACK MASKS ON! I GOT NO RESPONSE FROM THE GREETING , BUT TALKED IN MY BEST SPANISH THAT THEY COULD LOOK ALL OVER AND I OPENED UP DOORS TO EVERYTHING ON OUR SIDE WE OCCUPY. THE MILITARY STAYED HERE FOR NEARLY 4 HOURS. A PT TYPE BOAT AFTER THE FOUR HOURS CAME ZIPPING ACROSS THE BAY FROM THE EAST SIDE. I BELIEVE IT WAS AN INTERCEPT BOAT FOR REPORTED PANGAS HERE. EVIDENTLY SOMEONE MADE A CALL TO A HOTLINE AND TOLD THEM PANGAS FULL OF DRUGS WERE AT BUENAVENTURA. OF COURSE THERE WERE/ARE NO PANGAS HERE, AND NO DRUGS. BUT SOME MYSTERY PERSON HAD CALLED IN. BRINGING ALL THESE SOLDIERS HERE. I AM GOING TO ESTIMATE 40-50 SOLDIERS.

THE NEXT SATURDAY A MYSTERY CALLER CALLED TO SAY THERE WAS TURTLE IN A BLUE POT, ON THE STOVE, TURTLE PARTS IN THE TRASH AND DRUGS UNDER MY COMPUTER AT THE BAR AT BUENAVENTURA. I HAVE SINCE BEEN INFORMED THAT THE MILITARY WOULD NOT COME UNLESS THERE ARE DRUGS. NO DRUGS WERE FOUND.

MY WIFE AND COOK WERE ARRESTED SATURDAY NIGHT BECAUSE THEY WERE IN THE RESTAURANT. I BELIEVE I WOULD HAVE BEEN ARRESTED BUT HAD LEFT TO TAKE A SHOWER AND CHANGE CLOTHES. ANY INFORMATION ABOUT THIS CASE WAS NOT TO BE MADE PUBLIC UNTIL AFTER THE PROCESSING WHICH HAPPENED MONDAY AT 11 PM.

MUNOZ WRITING AT ANOTHER BAJA FORUM SEEMED TO HAVE ALL THE DETAILS ABOUT THE CASE EVEN WITHOUT BEING HERE ON SUNDAY NIGHT AT 7:52. HOW WOULD HE KNOW SO MUCH SO EARLY. I AM NEARLY POSITIVE HE WAS NOT HERE AT THE TIME IN MULEGE.

WE HAVE BEEN DEALING WITH THIS MAN? FOR NEARLY SEVEN YEARS. HE IS SO DESPERATE. CAN YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT WE HAVE HAD TO DEAL WITH?

FRONT PAGE ON 3/30/09 NEWSPAPER EL SUDCALIFORNIA FROM LA PAZ WROTE ABOUT MUNOZ FENCING THREE HOMES OFF ON SANTA INEZ, CLAIMING THEY WERE HIS. THESE HOMES ARE SOUTH OF P. CHIVATO. WHO KNOWS ABOUT THIS? IT IS IMPORTANT FOR ME TO KNOW.

WILL GET PICTURES TOMORROW AFTER I FIGURE A WAY TO POST.

MARCO

ramuma53 - 4-17-2009 at 07:28 PM

Well the poachers appeared
Mark is saying now that I am a bodyguard, hope I look like one at least; well it is hard to be a bodyguard for Munoz when I am here in Buenventura while he has been in New York for 3 weeks now, don't you think? Mark I saw you a couple of times today, you even told me you will do something against my life and Munoz life yesterday, don't you remember? and you claim that you know Munoz is not here, something that is true, rare on yourself but true this time; you don't make any sense but we are begining to uncover you and really understand you.
Last time you were saying that Olivia was cooking the stew for your own consumption in Loreto and now you are saying that it was already prepared and was going to be served for some Ensenada families.
I would like to know any person here in this board who knowing that it is illegal sea turtle will serv it in his house.
Well, I can now call you a poacher and a liar freely and you know I will do it to your face, it is not the first time.
Concerning your brush with the Mexican army, why don't you tell them that that day 2 boats were being unloaded ar 3:30 Am on your ramp and when you saw that some people were looking at you, everybody ran; of course the the military arrived late because miraculously the hotel telephone was burned that same morning and the hotel pick up tires were punctured; I know, random events of course.
You start not looking like victims anymore.

ramuma53 - 4-17-2009 at 07:36 PM

O and Caboron
we have heard those screams coming from Olivia's restaurant several times and also a nice pigy was killed there very cold fashion by Mark, with a knife; I was unable to even touch jam for a month after that; also remember that you killed one our little dogs, only 3 months old with a shovel Mark; just don't try to hide it, it is showing this time all over the place.

OLIGUACOMOLE - 4-17-2009 at 07:38 PM

YOU SEEM SO INTENT ON THIS TURTLE THING ALL OF A SUDDEN. SOMETIMES IT IS BETTER TO PICK UP THE CHIPS AND CUT YOU LOSSES.:fire:

CAN I SAY YOUR ENTERTAINING?:lol:

ramuma53 - 4-17-2009 at 07:42 PM

Just to check on the Sudcaliforniano news, we went today to Santa Rosalia to fix our phone and just for fun went to Santa Ines the place where the newspaper claim Munoz took some houses, for your information, there, they don't even know who Munoz is; then how is it possible that El Sudcaliforniano keep printing your screams every time, even if they are not true and this one anyone can check, just look for somebody from that area, even you Mark.

OLIGUACOMOLE - 4-17-2009 at 07:44 PM

BIZZARE AND TOTALLY UNTRUE.

ANGER=WEAK AND INSECURE NEIGHBOR. JUST LET IT GO. I WONT BE PART OF IT.

WHEEEEEW! WHO NEEDS FRIENDS WHEN NEIGHBORS ARE THIS NICE!!

ramuma53 - 4-17-2009 at 07:44 PM

Oliguacamole or bether said Olivia Higuera Aguilar, I am intense because it is illegal to kill sea turtles and the turtles losses can not be cut like you cut their necks; what do you feel when they scream Olivia?

BajaGringo - 4-17-2009 at 07:47 PM

ramuma53 - nobody here is fooled as to your true identity. Why are you so ashamed to own up to it? That in itself makes much of what you post here suspect. Would you like for me to publish here the moderator logs from TalkBaja showing your email you listed on registration and then confirmed via email back to you to be able to post there?

He seems intent on ignoring that request as he knows what the answer is. Everyone else is free to u2u me and I will happily provide that information to you to show you who this character really is...

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

[Edited on 4-18-2009 by BajaGringo]

ramuma53 - 4-17-2009 at 08:00 PM

BajaGringo please read and see that even Olivia and Mark know me, they said that I am Munoz bodyguard but I am not fore sure I don't have the body or the training; she is calling me her neighbor don't you see and yes we are neighbors and we know each other very well and I know them too well for their own good by now.
you try to make an issue because we use Munoz computer to write, sorry but everything here is his property, even the computers and satellite connection and email accounts; please don't try to confuse the fact that we are talking about protecting the eviroment here, that is the topic, don't loose it.

ramuma53 - 4-17-2009 at 08:09 PM

Well, I se Olivia just went offline without answering, she noticed that she inclriminated herself, well, remember when I told you that she does the worst harm to herself; I rest my case, good night.

BajaGringo - 4-17-2009 at 08:14 PM

Only one problem with that ramuma - when you register on the forum it also logs your IP address / location. You did not register from down in Mulege - you registered from Tijuana.

Try again...

ramuma53 - 4-17-2009 at 08:15 PM

O and Olivia, now that you mention the end of lower Agrarian court trials, dont forget to tell them that those cases are against us your neighbors, that you are trying to take our homes from us and collect $250,000 USD from each one of us, you lost against Munoz, but you are still going against us; just go to court and see that our appeal is in, so don't be so happy so soon.

BajaGringo - 4-17-2009 at 08:18 PM

I suppose "Mr. Muñoz" lets you use his personal business email account from Muñoz Industries in Tijuana too, right?

Puleeezzzz

At least invent a story that is slightly credible...

Shared internet connection w/TJ

Sharksbaja - 4-17-2009 at 08:44 PM

:lol::lol:

Never heard of that before!

I guess the big question now is: Why would anyone allow someone else to post potentially incriminating information about their biz. Mr. Munoz must not be too bright as to let someone like a two-bit bodyguard write and post on his behalf while he is so far away.

Will you pretend to be him in court as well?:wow:

Totally ludicrous imho. I think Mr Munoz should speak up. You obviously are in constant contact with him. When he signs in perhaps an email address or ip address will clear up any suspicion.

[Edited on 4-18-2009 by Sharksbaja]

JESSE - 4-17-2009 at 08:57 PM

Quote:

They say your better off getting caught with a bunch of kilos than with a turtle. The good thing is that it has worked, nobody sells caguama openly like they used to.

If it's working then...

Dave - 4-17-2009 at 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
The good thing is that it has worked, nobody sells caguama openly like they used to.

why not make the penalties the same for kilos?

Or running a stop sign?

Or driving on the beach? :rolleyes:

Sharksbaja - 4-17-2009 at 09:33 PM

Please stop asking logical questions, they make no sense!

JESSE - 4-17-2009 at 10:20 PM

Quote:
Quote:
The good thing is that it has worked, nobody sells caguama openly like they used to.

why not make the penalties the same for kilos?

Or running a stop sign?

Or driving on the beach? :rolleyes:

Because we are humans.

BajaNuts - 4-17-2009 at 10:43 PM

and that means................................. ?

ramuma53 - 4-18-2009 at 12:50 AM

Ok, Bajagringo, you keep on believing that I am Munoz, even if it has no consequence for this discussion, but for your information, the Munoz Industries email is the email used here at the hotel for reservations by internet and is very public; the hotel and everything incluiding the computers are Munoz Property, and I mean the houses where we live too; if you want to communicate with Munoz, you have to use the same email and that is director@munoz-industries.com and that will come to the hotel also, he has private emails, but just email him direct and he will answer, he reads everything and he has always been a gentlemen; also his english is a lot better than mine, but lets keep to our topic.
Today the Hotel Buenaventura got an email from Green Peace and they are going to press the federal authorities to make an example of these poachers and also from other pro nature organizations that have read about this HERE and came through the hotel webpage and yes through the same Munoz emails that we can see here.
Looks like the poachers are not going to have it as easy as they tought; closing of the restaurant is asured and voiding of the Federal Zone concesion a must.:spingrin:
I also found out that killing a turtle has a heavier penalty than killing a human; if you kill a human and show at least some self preservation you will stay only 2 to 4 years in jail while a killing a turtle carry a 12 years jail sentence, more fore who cook it, sell it and or transport it.:o
I also called Munoz about this conversation I have been having and he will enter the board in the next few days; looks like I am a lot more expresive than he is.

Buenaventura

OLIGUACOMOLE - 4-18-2009 at 07:04 AM

....and you may ask yourself.
...what have I done?
.....how did I get here!

DENNIS - 4-18-2009 at 07:10 AM

Great drama. This is just like the DocThadeus and Sackmaster joke way back when.

shari - 4-18-2009 at 07:23 AM

Sr.Eduardo?....you mentioned there were "several busts" that day and in another post you said there were 2 places caught cooking turtle...do you have information on those as well? Just curious as to why you arent just as upset about those people. we would all love to see your picture too.

OLIGUACOMOLE - 4-18-2009 at 07:56 AM

el mano negra es rafael munoz martinez and his initials are RAMUMA, by the way i thought he was in New York while hes writing all of this BS, but apperantly his been in TJ? also for all of these years hes been trying to get my Concesion of the Federal Zone and obviously he keeps trying and will do anything.
munoz brags about he run for candidate of this.. president of that.. let me tell you, i run as a candidate in school and I WON i was the Reina de la Primavera, also i was the PRESIDENT of the Volley-Ball team and i won a lot of AWARDS and DIPLOMAS because i am very good in spelling. How do you like that. munoz you are a looser

Bajajack - 4-18-2009 at 09:18 AM

Well it doesn't matter who or whom is guilty, the one thing we can be assured of is, the deepest pocket always wins.

ELINVESTIG8R - 4-18-2009 at 09:18 AM

I want to see pictures of all who are involved. Eduardo Villa Arellano, Alias: (ramuma53); El Ingeniero Rafael Munoz Martinez, Alias: El Mano Negra; Eddie the bodyguard of Rafael Munoz; Olivia Higuera Aguilar and Mark Burbey. Can the parties please provide these photos? Thank you.

David, Alias: El Lobo Herido.

And just because I sometimes believe in fair play here is my picture.

[Edited on 4-18-2009 by ELINVESTI8]

schwlind - 4-18-2009 at 09:51 AM

I'm sorry... but have already popped the corn awaiting the next installment... a drama if I've ever seen one... if you're a writer... you just can't make this stuff up...

Hopefully it will all be sorted out and the "guilty" parties will be brought to justice... (is there any justice anymore???)

Skipjack Joe - 4-18-2009 at 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ramuma53
I also found out that killing a turtle has a heavier penalty than killing a human; if you kill a human and show at least some self preservation you will stay only 2 to 4 years in jail while a killing a turtle carry a 12 years jail sentence, more fore who cook it, sell it and or transport it.

This is total nonsense.

For years the laws were ignored. I was on a San Felipe partyboat when our guide pulled in a turtle that roamed the mothership for a week while everyone fished. Then there was the time a local from Loreto hauled one in at the Escondido docks while everyone watched.

Now these people are being made an example of with 12 years in jail?

Is there common sense and balance in Mexico. They're just whipsawing from one extreme to another.

I really don't like anyone being made an example of anything. Why should there be a chosen one?

BajaGringo - 4-18-2009 at 10:02 AM

You still have not explained Rafael - I mean ramuma, how we are supposed to believe that Rafael Muñoz lets everybody use his business email address of director@munoz-industries.com to send out email, register on internet forums, etc. I don't know any businessman who would even think of doing that as he puts his business credibility at risk. If there is internet access anybody can register online for a free hotmail/yahoo/gmail account. There is no need to use the company email address and for him - I mean you to try to convince us of such a ridiculous thing is actually hilarious.

Even if that were true (I seriously doubt it) that you - I mean he let folks use his business email address for such things down at the hotel, the fact remains that you registered on the forum from Tijuana. Your IP address was logged and clearly shows it. So now you are going to tell me that you - I mean Rafael Muñoz lets people use his business email address from his offices in Tijuana too???

I am going to micro some popcorn myself on this one...

Skipjack Joe - 4-18-2009 at 10:10 AM

It strikes me that when you have a weak and ineffective law enforcement system you target individuals and come down hard on them hoping to intimidate the remainder of the citizens to do the right thing.

That's sad. :(:(

P.S. I consider myself an environmentalist and have always supported laws protecting turtles. And I have never met any of the people involved in this matter. Just an objective bystander.

[Edited on 4-18-2009 by Skipjack Joe]

rpleger - 4-18-2009 at 10:44 AM

:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o:o
¿Is this thread great or what?

shari - 4-18-2009 at 10:46 AM

Skipjack has a very valid point here...and it is a huge issue and problem because it is such a widespread cultural norm to eat turtle stew at family gatherings and holidays much like our turkey tradition.

Now dont get me wrong...I am all for protecting endangered species...I just wish that there was some kind of transitional allowances...for example...perhaps on easter weeks when most mexicanos dont eat meat...well perhaps through a valid vendor, families could purchase one for their gathering...or perhaps turtle farming could be established...it does seem drastic such a prison sentance for the folks who just eat it....say at a family gathering. It is very very common and I'm sure none of you would like to see your favorite senora next door who as always treated you well and looked after your kids and casa etc...go to jail.

Howard - 4-18-2009 at 10:57 AM

If he were still alive I would say Anthony Quinn could be one of the "bad guys" in the movie. (If there really is a bad guy here)

Who would play Mike and Olivia?

dtbushpilot - 4-18-2009 at 11:26 AM

I vote for Sigourny Weaver and Bruce Willis....dt

dtbushpilot - 4-18-2009 at 11:31 AM

Better yet, Eva Mendez and Bruce Willis...dt

Photos

motoged - 4-18-2009 at 11:34 AM

I love it......

Elinvest has his pic up....waiting for the others.

Here are two of the key players....shared identities????

desertcpl - 4-18-2009 at 11:51 AM

I agree with Shari,, it is a tradition in MX and other parts of the world,, they really should make some allowance for that,, and 12 years,, I dont think that is fair,,

it was about 30 years ago that I was served Turtle steaks in BLOA in a restruant,, it was really great,, it was my first time,
then again in LP,, had Turtle soup,, not as good,,

JESSE - 4-18-2009 at 11:53 AM

Told ya this whole thing stinks.

CaboRon - 4-18-2009 at 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
It strikes me that when you have a weak and ineffective law enforcement system you target individuals and come down hard on them hoping to intimidate the remainder of the citizens to do the right thing.

That's sad. :(:(

Sorry,

It may be sad, but, is SOP in Draconian Systems,

Such as Napoleonic Justice , which is the rule of the land in Mexico .....

it is indeed strange that they fought the French but embraced their system of justice :lol::lol:

CaboRon

My appologies for being in the box :lol:

[Edited on 4-18-2009 by Skipjack Joe]

meme - 4-18-2009 at 12:04 PM

All this Authoritive speaking & I still got no real answer to my question!!
Is it illegal to have an empty turtle shell in your posession? I do not have one myself but I do know someone who recently found one supposedly at BOLA.

BajaGringo - 4-18-2009 at 12:07 PM

Not sure meme but if it is I know a lot of people who are in trouble!!!!

JESSE - 4-18-2009 at 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by meme
Is it illegal to have an empty turtle shell in your posession? I do not have one myself but I do know someone who recently found one supposedly at BOLA.

Yes it is.

CaboRon - 4-18-2009 at 12:08 PM

Quote:

It is illegal ..... don't try to take it into the US ....

meme - 4-18-2009 at 12:12 PM

Thank You All! I will pass the word about taking it to U.S. I personally think it might be a risk just keeping it in posession here in Mexico but you all know how some people think? OR do not think??

Pescada

roundtuit - 4-18-2009 at 12:38 PM

After talking to several locals here I think the blue bowel had pescada in it as it sure smells that way.(fishy) And the profeba and marinas came for a free lunch. They know of no other restrauantes checked during Semana Santa
:rolleyes::wow::rolleyes::wow::rolleyes:

vandenberg - 4-18-2009 at 12:57 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Yes it is.

That surprises me.
For years there were turtle shells galore on the beaches here around Loreto. On the far end of Ensenada Blanca there was an isolated beach where the locals likely cleaned their catch and just disgarded the shells. Folks from Tripui knew of this and many brought them home to Tripui, cleaned them up and had them adorn their Palapa walls. Also the beaches between Nopolo and Loreto were a good hunting ground for them. Found quite a few, cleaned them, polished them and used them for presents. Still have a few hanging on the walls in my home here in Nopolo.
Never had an idea I was violating any laws here. Was familiar with the fact that you couldn't bring them into the US. However, many Tripui folks carted them with them on their track north. Never heard of anyone getting called on this at the line and sure never heard of anyone doing time for this (true :?::?:) offense.

[Edited on 4-18-2009 by vandenberg]

BajaGringo - 4-18-2009 at 01:10 PM

There are many restaurants, tourist stops and shops that have them all along Baja. They look as though they have been there for many decades, back before they became a protected species.

The same can be said for whale bones, etc...

JESSE - 4-18-2009 at 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Quote:
Quote:

Yes it is.

That surprises me.
For years there were turtle shells galore on the beaches here around Loreto. On the far end of Ensenada Blanca there was an isolated beach where the locals likely cleaned their catch and just disgarded the shells. Folks from Tripui knew of this and many brought them home to Tripui, cleaned them up and had them adorn their Palapa walls. Also the beaches between Nopolo and Loreto were a good hunting ground for them. Found quite a few, cleaned them, polished them and used them for presents. Still have a few hanging on the walls in my home here in Nopolo.
Never had an idea I was violating any laws here. Was familiar with the fact that you couldn't bring them into the US. However, many Tripui folks carted them with them on their track north. Never heard of anyone getting called on this at the line and sure never heard of anyone doing time for this (true :?::?:) offense.

[Edited on 4-18-2009 by vandenberg]

"Artícle 55. It is declared that all marine turtle species are protected. It is ilegal to possess, colect, sell or buy turtle meat, skin, shells, organs, and byproducts. This applies in the Mexican territory and waters."

JESSE - 4-18-2009 at 01:21 PM

I think an old shell in your house shouldnt be a problem, but a new one (even if its cleaned, dried and barnished) could posibly bring trouble.

Bajahowodd - 4-18-2009 at 01:43 PM

For what it's worth, it certainly doesn't appear that your dealing with a cyber-rookie here. Checking out Munoz' website, he takes credit as web master.

BajaGringo - 4-18-2009 at 01:53 PM

Yes, and it also says that his complete name is:

Rafael Muños Martinez

Anybody want to take a bet that he was born in 1953???

ramuma53 - 4-18-2009 at 01:54 PM

My friends, for that matter, at one time I was corossing the border Tijuana San Diego with new boots bought in Tijuana, those were turtle leather; at the San Ysidro border entrance, Customs confiscated my boots and didn't charged me, but I was afraid to looose my greencard then; happyly I was able to demostrate that I had just bought the boots in a legal shoe store and I know that that store was closed a few weeks later, so it is no easy thing to posses, transport, sale or even use sea turtle products.
Actually the law forbids the harrasing, catching, harming, sale and transportation of sea turtles or its products or derivates; if you have an old shell, it is not a crime as long as you don't transport it, sale it or cross the border with it.
On the other side, Olivia was catched with two fresh LOODY shells from 2 sea turtles, being cooked on her restaurant stove in a big pot, with the two real fresh heads in the kitchen INSIDE trash container; also she accept that :!: she was warming it as a favor to some Ensenada families who were inside her restaurant for free :!: while every person who know Olivia must know that she would never do that for free, that is an imposibility, she always charge for everything, no exception and even her friends know that.
My friends, also note that the hotel has no telephone at this moment, since last boat unlodading on Olivia's Restaurant and the Propesca raid was after that, so the tip could not have come from the Buenaventura hotel and we know that the only other telephone 15 miles orround is in Olivia's restaurant, so the tip must have come from her restaurant, maybe one customer or employee or husband of her did it and since she charge for telephone use, she must know who did the on time calls.
Also, Mark was not there very conveniently and since he is the restaurant co owner, or at least he say that, it is extrange, don't you think.
But anyway, they are known poachers now, they even accept that they had the Sea Turtle in their restaurant for their customers service free or not, they say free, but that is hard to believe even for her adamant protectors here.
The real question is, Do we condone the actual serving of Sea Turtle in a restaurant today???????
It is not a matter that in the past we like it or not, because I used to like it; not as a tradition, because it was not; they just were selling it all over Tijuana; it was not like turky tradition, we just were able to get it anyplace; of course in Baja, if you went to an able home, they will offer the best and that was Sea Turtle, now they offer shrimp the same way, or fish; Sea Turtle was not a tradition, it was the best at that time; now only the ones who are able to brake the law with impunity do it, being a corrupt governor or politician, but it is like inviting you to be their associate in crime.
We are not loosing tradition when we are not able to serve Sea Turtle in our homes, we can still make that dish, they call it Cahuamanta; it taste the same, the flavor is the same except it is made of fish, ray meat and beef' so the tradition can continue without the Sea Turtles participation.
When all over the world the lawmakers in our representation, baned the Sea Turtles from our tables and menus, it was for a reason; the sea turtles were being hunted to extintion; one way or the other, the Sea Turtles were gone from the tables, also they have become extremely expensive.
So we have not lost a tradition, we have not lost the excuisite dish and we are very willing to see the turtles sweeming in the sea, very alive.
We just need to take a step in to an active position and really protect the remaining sea turtles with our condoning or repudiating the ones that break that law, being a governor, a politician, a policeman, a restaurant owner or a friend who serve it at home when he invite you. that is the question for us here ???????????

Bajahowodd - 4-18-2009 at 01:55 PM

Still begs the question as to why he showed up here.

OLIGUACOMOLE - 4-18-2009 at 01:57 PM

I would like you to know I thought it was great to have people writing about the situation and allegations of my wife Olivia and our little restaurant. Instead of being happy her face twisted and she cried. She does not want to be associated with Munoz. She feels ashamed even to have her name accompany his. After convincing her that the forum is ok and it is public opinion only, she settled down. I married Olivia over five ago with a promise to love and protect her. I also told her that of all the women in my life she is the one I would have picked to go up against Munoz. She could do it if any one else could. As a man and a husband I do not feel good about this. We just had some Mexican friends from Loreto come in to inquire about Olivia. The discussion turned to turtles and the lady told her about how a turtle will cry when out of the water. Olivia started to cry again. This should make the monster feel good about what he has accomplished. I can handle almost any situation but when someone attacks my wife, well. We have dealt with this man for all this time a little more will be worth it.

How will most husbands handle something like this?

I would like to ask our friends to give Oli a word of encouragement. She needs it now.

BajaGringo - 4-18-2009 at 01:59 PM

Rafael - nobody here is disputing the fact that turtle poaching is wrong or illegal. We just find it very interesting how you keep trying to divert the attention away from the fact that you are not being honest as to who you are and your involvement with the folks charged in this issue. Nobody is buying it and the more you try to make these folks look bad, the more it is making many of us (who don't know either of the parties involved) start to wonder about what really went down there and if maybe you were involved somehow.

If you want to help your case, come clean as to who you really are and then maybe we can have an honest discussion about this. Until you do Rafael, this is just a charade and you are not helping your cause at all...

JESSE - 4-18-2009 at 02:05 PM

If your up to your kness in quick sand, STOP MOVING!!!!

BajaGringo - 4-18-2009 at 02:08 PM

Rafael, just to remove any doubt that you registered from Tijuana and not from down at the hotel as you posted, I have kept a screen capture of your registration data showing your email address you used to register (and confirmed from) as well as your IP address. I subscribe to a service that tracks the IP and gives me the region from where it originated. It is not from BCS, but from the Tijuana area.

Come clean and then we can at least have a discussion out in the open. Olivia has posted as herself, not hiding behind someone else, or pretending to be some "concerned citizen" trying to skew opinion here. She is defending herself which speaks a lot more to me than what you are doing. Show the same valor and then we can talk. Otherwise this is just all coming across as pure propaganda...

ramuma53 - 4-18-2009 at 02:36 PM

Baja gringo
Still unable to solve that one; if you check in the internet Munoz curriculum vitae, you will notice that he is a Civil Engineer, an attorney at law, speaks spanish, english and some italian; also he studied Physics, Electromechanical engineering, a lot of computng systems and know several programing languages; does that sound like a guy who can do that and more ? and of course would not make as many mistakes as the humble of me.
Anyway, just listen to Olivia and Mark, the interested parties, they KNOW ME, they think I am his bodyguard, but are unable to explain how come the bodyguard is enjoying the Baja beaches while the principal in in New York; doesent sound like the bodyguards I see in the movies at least.

Marla Daily - 4-18-2009 at 02:47 PM

Those of us many nomads following this post are still waiting for the
photos, as previously requested several times.
Why are you avoiding this issue? Step up to the plate and show your face
if all is as you say.

Bajahowodd - 4-18-2009 at 02:47 PM

Wow. A true Renaissance man. Or an overblown case of man love.:D

BajaGringo - 4-18-2009 at 02:57 PM

I rest my case.

I believe it is quite obvious who this guy is but you guys can decide for yourselves...

Cypress - 4-18-2009 at 03:00 PM

ramua53, THIS WHOLE ISSUE IS GETTING CUMBERSOME. You're pee-peeing in the wind! Olivia and Mark are good people! You're just a cyber voice with an agenda, doubt if it's the love of turtles that motivates you. Imagine it's the love of $$$, but you're intitled to your opinions.:D

Sharksbaja - 4-18-2009 at 03:07 PM

Ok, you are an intellectual bodyguard. Very common in Baja:lol::rolleyes:

Is this the bodyguard?:

Bajahowodd - 4-18-2009 at 03:49 PM

Maybe it's time to stop posting on this thread. Then see if the poseur shows up elsewhere.

Howard - 4-18-2009 at 04:02 PM

I think I have it now.

Anthony Quinn as the bad guy

Carroll O”Conner as the alleged bad guy

The guy from the TV series, Vegas, Former Marine Danny McCoy ,Josh Duhamel

Betty Davis as Olivia (just kidding as I happen to like Olivia, or at least before this incident)

I am looking for financial backers. We will use look a likes for the movie except for Danny (Josh)

We can use Bay of Conception to shoot from, oh wait, it's fenced off.

Anyway, the soap opera continues.

ELINVESTIG8R - 4-18-2009 at 04:35 PM

Hey you folks put your pictures up here so we can see who the players are. GEEESH!

ramuma53 - 4-18-2009 at 05:06 PM

Baja Gringo
I would prefer to remain out of this discussion for now, because there is an ongoing Federal investigation about the facts being discussed here. But as an attention to my friend Eddy, I will make a small contribution of the facts known to be true, I know Eddy was there himself and he is not a liar as far as I know, so I also think the same way he does, so just take his worlds as mine too, Olivia and Mark know I am not afraid of telling it to their faces also, I have done it many times.
Baja gringo, What you know, is where an Internet protocol (IP) is assigned, and it is assigned where it enter the Physical Internet network, when it is dynamic and uploaded to a satellite connection, It goes up the satellite stream in pockets and then down at the Internet Service Provider (ISP) where it is assigned the Dynamic IP, where it enters the physical network; and since my Satellite Service Provider for Buenaventura Hotel is in Tijuana, it is not bizarre you find that. Also, you will find that, if you locate the dynamic IP for my personal computer which is where I am sending this comment from, it will always be in Tijuana. I have a contract for wireless broadband connection with Telcel in Tijuana and that means, that from any place in continental America, it goes through the 3G Cellular networks, all the way to Tijuana and then it enters there to the physical Internet network. So, I may be in any place in the world and as long as I use that connection, the dynamic IP is going to be a Tijuana assigned; so much for you as a spy. But this is just a technical distraction since the main issue is solved, I uphold Eddie’s words as mine and he has my permission to use my Hotel Buenaventura address and connections. Just take it as if I had said it; Is that enough for you?
Please, Eddie has a big mouth but, he seems to feel like he needs to set the record straight, I don’t. Your comments here do not affect me, in any way, I only do it because it is not fair that you keep putting in doubt Eddie’s ideas, just because you don’t believe he is who he is. He is and has my complete support if that is what you wanted to know, he is also not my bodyguard, he is shorter than me, I am the martial arts expert, not him, it would work better the other way around.
Why do we know so much about Olivia’s investigation? Because I have several of my attorneys looking for ways that the law is not violated here. She has done it locally for years, Federal is another sphere and she was caught by several law enforcement organizations with interlocking actions and interest. Also, we have a presidential directive to fight organized crime and nature organizations are starting to act against her.
Why she was caught? She was caught, because she is under a Federal police microscope, for her boat unloading at 3:00 AM since years ago and this is not a secret anyplace anymore. They were unable to catch her last time, but for sure the whole deal was observed by law officials and at that time, it was no longer my say or my friends say anymore, everything else is a consequence.
Why is she so upset about me, because I put a whole system of cameras, even robotic cameras with 250 x zoom and starlight with the stream uploaded to internet instantly and that system has been recording all her movements for months, including all the law officials’ visits after the landings? This data is not in my possession anymore, so don’t get any ideas.
Mark, you try to appear like a hurt husband by unfair attacks on your poor wife. Those accusations have been there for years, and as I remember, you ran from me every time I catch you in my property, not in a rhetoric way, you really run fast. Also, tell us why you are with a lady 20 years older than you, that is by far no longer a beauty even if she was when she was younger and not so much in to drugs, I recognize. Also, many people saw you very happy when she was arrested saying that you were now the owner.
Olivia may be many things, including now a poacher, but she has always been a lady, why are you so afraid that she may make a deal with me? Remember last time when you practically dragged her from my presence, when she told me she wanted a deal? Mark, act like a gentlemen and let the lady off, you are never going to be a millionaire as you dreamed; the lady deserves a fair chance in life, you are making her make life changing mistakes.

flyfishinPam - 4-18-2009 at 05:39 PM

not to be a pain but I also use the telcel 3g connection and it says my ip is in mexico city not tijuana and i am in loreto

cnelsoni - 4-18-2009 at 06:03 PM

Is this the most stimulating post of all time on Bajanomad? The drama, the twists and the turns....the human toll. To Mark and Olivia: Complete support for your efforts to rid our tranquil Baja of bullies like "Mano negro". Setup and hung out to dry does not even begin to discribe this horrific travesty. Honest, friendly, and legitimate Baja business owners....working hard to enjoy the Baja life in peace...being assaulted relentlessly, slandered, defamed. The continued and endless propaganda propagated by Munoz only continues to tighten the noose of public opinion around his neck. The holes in the Munoz allegations and deceptions look like swiss cheese to me! To the Munoz coalition: Please continue your onslaught...great fantasy!

Bajajack - 4-18-2009 at 06:13 PM

Well one things for sure, with all the BS being slung around the Mota wont need any more fertilizer for awhile.

Pescador - 4-18-2009 at 06:43 PM

Boy, wouldn't you love to be a judge in this case? Seems really weird that someone admits setting up cameras and electronic surveillance equipment with a satellite uplink, and we think that he is also not responsible for having someone walk in with a blue kettle of Turtle soup and then tipping off the Army, sherrif, police, border patrol, boy scouts, and Navy seals for a big bust. How do you say "Planted Evidence" in spanish? Bajagringo, who looks a little seedy in his pictures but in real life seems to have a real sensible head on his shoulders may have hit things right on the head with this deal. Oh well, I have not had this much fun following the twists and turns in this whole thread, since we tried to figure out if the pigs really did eat my little brother.:lol::lol:

Sharksbaja - 4-18-2009 at 06:45 PM

Sure glad to see IP tracking software work. Thanks Larry.

Sharksbaja - 4-18-2009 at 06:47 PM

Pescador, did they????

ELINVESTIG8R - 4-18-2009 at 06:55 PM

I have additional photos that were delivered to me. I am waiting one more to make one posting,

Byron - 4-18-2009 at 06:56 PM

I think it's Jaba the Hut.

ELINVESTIG8R - 4-18-2009 at 06:59 PM

That is Senor Rafael Munoz Martinez!

[Edited on 4-19-2009 by ELINVESTI8]

cnelsoni - 4-18-2009 at 07:08 PM

The more information that we can digest in this drama...the more it become apparent that something is very wrong. Wrong from the very beginning....Please Nomads following this saga...speak up. "I smell a rat" came out on day one. Munoz hiding his identity while promulgating a smear campaign is an underlying theme in this mess. Credibility? One kudo to Mr. Munoz: Of all of the ways to enlist disdain of the gringo community you have concocted the very best....slaughter of innocent little helpless turtles. Congratulations sir. The drugs being unloaded was a good try as well. Congratulations sir. Allegations of cocaine and crack usage...good one! You sir have done a beautiful job of effectively destroying ANY credibility you may have had with the gringo community. Please continue your campaign....it is very entertaining!

Skipjack Joe - 4-18-2009 at 07:29 PM

Talk about not getting along with your neighbors!

This is incredible. I've never heard anything like it. Even the Chronicle doesn't come up with stuff like this. What's at the bottom of all this? Where is all this hatred coming from? Is this all about land and money?

picture

OLIGUACOMOLE - 4-18-2009 at 07:33 PM

The picture is of Munoz.

You can tell because he had the hand chopped off when he got caught stealing in the middle east!
Proud of the black glove. Hey when is halloween?

Beware of the glove....look what happened to Mikey Jackson.

cnelsoni - 4-18-2009 at 07:38 PM

Warren Zevon: Send lawyers, drugs and money. Updated to 2009: Send Profepa, Marineras, y tortugas!

ELINVESTIG8R - 4-18-2009 at 09:04 PM

Here are a few photos I received today depicting the players in this unfolding drama. The person in the last photo that was identified as Briana I have no clue what her involvement is. The photo is nevertheless included as it was provided to me by one of the players.

Rafael Munoz Martinez and Eddie

Rafael Munoz Martinez

Burning house Buenaventura

Mark Burbey

Mark Burbey and Olivia Higuera

Olivia Higuera in restaurant

Olivia and Briana

[Edited on 4-19-2009 by ELINVESTI8]

anonymous phone calls

OLIGUACOMOLE - 4-18-2009 at 09:55 PM

anonymous phone calls

How great this is suppose to work. Hot tip line to turn in criminals? What happens when it is used the other way and people use it against you as a form of harassment. Or in our case to be set up. Is it a crime to make false charges?

The pesca officials were not to tell us about the anonymous phone call, but they did. The caller reported a blue pot on the stove(not cooking), turtle in an outside trash dumpster and drugs under my computer on the bar. Apparently this anonymous phone tip was not included in the report sagapa officials wrote when Olivia and Bertha were processed Monday night in Loreto. I feel it should have been. At least as evidence of why they were here in the first place, even if it was an anonymous phone calls should have some kind of trace.

I asked an official if the case would/could be in Loreto because Olivia and our cook Bertha were taken to the PGR in Nopolo. It would be much easier for us with our business here and all to attend hearings close to home. He suggested against it because most local cases locally are found guilty. Official suggested a fairer trial would be La Paz.

Munoz has harassed us with reports to the Ministero Publico for years. No one except Munoz has reports against us. Olivia and I were apprehended in Mulege with no warning and taken to the white prison outside Santa Rosalia four years ago. Spent the night! Judge told us he was making a special day for us on Saturday so we could post bail. Munoz's bodyguards claimed we stole a cardboard sign saying this was private property of Munoz. After the testimony was deemed false we were found innocent! Officials from the court said nearly no one is found innocent! How lucky can a guy be? The courts have made us sign as criminals for four years and counting. Other bogus charges by Munoz continue. This kind of harassment is practiced because his title papers are false. File charges for anything in another court and maybe have them give up.

I believe this latest turtle set up is because he has lost or is loosing our 6 year case against him in La Paz. He is not a good looser to say the least.

If you have come by our little beach restaurant and we are not open, we are probably out taking care of some nonsense two title business involving Munoz and his takeover of Buenaventura, Playa Requeson, La Pearla and Playa Armenta.

We are not that upset. We enjoy a good poker game. Bluffing is not required for us. We are in this one until the end. Will be 7 years in August.

Howard - 4-18-2009 at 10:00 PM

As the infamous Rodney said,"can't we all just get along?"

mulegemichael - 4-18-2009 at 10:14 PM

marcus...olivia...be cool...it'll be ok...see ya in a couple weeks

Bajahowodd - 4-18-2009 at 11:09 PM

Zevon- lawyers, "guns" and money. That aside, in a certain respect, Isn't Munoz getting way too much attention?

Sharksbaja - 4-18-2009 at 11:36 PM

Yes, but that's a good thang! From a certain perspective::biggrin:
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  19