BajaNomad

East Cape, offshore stand-up reel?

rockyinkc - 4-19-2009 at 08:54 AM

Would be fishing out of Panga's, need 2 speed, would be using 6' to 6.5' rod, stand-up--I like Shimano?? but not locked into that brand! (would a 30, be big enough, or step up to the 50??)
I'm a bit of green horn on (big fish) would like something for med. marlin, sail, tuna??
I have a Shimano TDL-25 with 40# on 7' rod, worked great on 40# yellowtail.
I know everyone has their own preferance--$$ is a bit of concern.
go easy on me, thanks Rocky

Diver - 4-19-2009 at 09:08 AM

The TLD 30 II has more than double the drag of the TLD 25.
Check the "for sale" at Allcoast.com for some good used gear.

Osprey - 4-19-2009 at 09:10 AM

The way you're set up should be fine. with 50# you won't wear the marlin out so much, but with 40 you can catch everything else -- no big tuna around right now. Plenty of action at 88 just north of Punta Arena lighthouse and lots of dorado 14 miles out feeding. I hear lots of bait out there. North winds are still with us 4 days out of 6 or 7.

Diver - 4-19-2009 at 10:21 AM

Find Alan's reel re-building examples and order the Carbonex drags for the TLDs.
It will increase the drag on your TLD 25 from 15 to 22-24 lbs.
Anything more is too much for the reel's frame.
New drags are also available for the TLD II reels.

http://www.senortuna.com/main/showthread.php?t=15734
Above is one place the Alan's rebuild instructions are shown.

BTW, I run 40 lb mono on my TLD 25 with the new drags.
My TLD 30 II is sppoled with 80 hollow and 50 - 80 lb tops.

[Edited on 4-19-2009 by Diver]

Howard - 4-19-2009 at 01:06 PM

Around 6 or so years ago I made the step to "invest" in would I condisered the best reels for the money to primarily use fishing from Pangas from Bay of L.A. all the way down to the East Cape. I bought (on E-bay) a 20, a 30 and a 50 Shimano 2 speeds. My favorite reel is the 30 with the 20 coming in 2nd and the 50 was a complete overkill for fishing for Dorado, even 50+ lb tuna will work just fine on the 30. I would think that the 50 would be used for tuna over 80+ lb. If I had to do it over again I would definately buy the 20 and the 30 but not the 50. Stick to the 30 unless you are going after some big cows.

rockyinkc - 4-19-2009 at 01:12 PM

Now that I have chummed the water so to speak-LOL
Diver-so would you say the TLD 30 II, with good drags and the correct string would be good enough for light to medium Marlin, and 175# Tuna??
Also, could you explain, how, and what (mono) you use on your (30)
And since I opened pandora'a box--I'm also looking for a rod to match to it.
I (think) I want 6.5' to 7' with a ?? rollor tip--I like a rod that is NOT a broom stick--open to suggestions--and remember I will be fishing out of Panga's.
Osprey, I wish I was there, just retired, and will be taking 5th wheel down soon to the East Cape area, and leaving it down there--(don't know for sure where yet!!) Hope to be in the area before all the galmor fish leave this season.
ps: things on board are kinda slow--so thought we could talk fishing!! LOL

Diver - 4-19-2009 at 04:00 PM

I use JB hollow and Berkely Big Game mono.
I like loading up the reel in case I get the big guy and he needs to run.

I have seen/heard of many fish over 100 lbs caught on a TLD 30 II.
Fishing from a panga, you should have no problem with the biggies because the boat can chase the fish if needed.

Here is a good price on a great rod (#4);
http://www.allcoast.com/discussion/ViewTopic.cfm?page=1&...

Also a TLD 30 II in this ad;
http://www.allcoast.com/discussion/ViewTopic.cfm?page=1&...
This reel has a stronger open-top frame, spectra, etc.

[Edited on 4-19-2009 by Diver]