BajaNomad

hot sauce taste-testers needed-

BajaNuts - 5-16-2009 at 05:36 PM

(26 may 2009- all samples on the way!)

Hi Y'all!

I need some willing victims....ummm,errr..........VOLUNTEERS to sample a new hot sauce I'm making. I make and sell a few products locally and some of them are hot sauces.

My latest recipe is made with chipotle peppers, habanero and bhut jolokia peppers. Lots of garlic and spices.

(note the Modelo in the photo for size reference-:saint:)

I have 20 samples available for folks to try and I need some feedback on the hot sauce. It's pretty hot with a smoky spicy flavor. Made with cider vinegar, spices, and peppers.

BUT WAIT! THERE"S MORE.....!

for those of you who respond to this request and subject yourselves to the taste testing, you'll recieve another sample of my "tropical ghost hot sauce". It's a fruit-based finishing sauce. Use it on fish, chicken, rice, stirfry, you get the idea. It's a little sweet, and not so scorching hot.

Made with mandarin orange, pineapple, ginger, spices, habanero, bhut jolokia and red peppers.

I'd like to send some down into MX, but mailing and shipping is pretty crazy. If someone is traveling across the border soon and will be meeting up with Nomads south of the border, I can send a couple bottles to you.

U2U me with your mailing address. I'll be using US Postal Service (not UPS or FedEx) so make sure you u2u your MAILING address. I can mail to Canada also.

Thanks in advance for your help. I really need some feedback from some serious chileheads. Please, if you would like some samples, be willing to send back the survey form.
U2U me with your mailing address.

For those of you haven't heard about the Ghost Pepper(aka bhut jolokia) here's a link.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naga_Jolokia
It's currently the hottest pepper in the world. YUM!

[Edited on 5-18-2009 by BajaNuts]

[Edited on 5-27-2009 by BajaNuts]

[Edited on 5-27-2009 by BajaNuts]

bajabound2005 - 5-16-2009 at 06:29 PM

WOW! I love the color and combo of colors!

bajamigo - 5-16-2009 at 06:31 PM

How many Scoville units in each?

SiReNiTa - 5-16-2009 at 07:17 PM

wowo that looks really good!!!

Udo - 5-16-2009 at 07:37 PM

Sign me up Bajanuts!
I am catering a wedding in two weeks and need a few bottles since I was told to make the food somewhat mild. I like my food wild.
Drop me a U2U

BajaNuts - 5-16-2009 at 11:06 PM

bajamigo-
I haven't had these recipes tested for Scoville units yet. I'm working on the flavor-to-heat-ratio right now. On one of my other hot sauces, it comes in hotter than Tobasco. But I think this new hot sauce has more FLAVOR along with the heat of the sauce. I hope to get some good feedback from this taste testing and if I need to tweek anything in the recipe I will do that and then send it off for Scoville testing.

Just from my own taste testing, this hot sauce is much hotter than tobasco, but has a TON more flavor! I just asked hubby and he said the Ghost Fire hot sauce is 10x hotter than tobasco. Just a layman's opinion.

As a side note, I am a Washington state licensed food processor. I have sent some of my products out for Scoville ratings. I like to develop products with flavor along with heat. I think this new one with the Ghost Peppers is a really good recipe. But that's what I need you guys for! I need the expert opinions of other hot sauce experts.

thanks for the u2u's requesting samples. I have some more to send out, so send me your addy if you want some!

Ann

capt. mike - 5-17-2009 at 07:16 AM

just sent U2U!!

fdt - 5-17-2009 at 07:45 AM

I've U2U'd my request, gracias.

Natalie Ann - 5-17-2009 at 08:15 AM

Boy oh boy am I looking forward to trying this hot sauce! Gonna taste real good, she sez, before it strips the lining from my innards. Oughta be good for whatever ails me. ;D:biggrin::dudette:

Nena

BajaNuts - 5-17-2009 at 09:23 AM

Good morning, chileheads!

I have a few bottles not spoken for yet. And an offer from someone willing to put a package on the bus to get it further south. I've never sent a package on the bus before, so if someone wants some samples, I'll get a box set up for a bus ride, but you'll need to tell me the details.

thanks again for all the willing victims!
:lol:
Ann

BajaNuts - 5-17-2009 at 09:28 AM

Mulege offer-
I have someone offering to take a couple bottles to Mulege next week. Don't know where else they may be stopping, but if you're on the way or in Mulege, here's your chance.

hot sauce

stimbo - 5-17-2009 at 09:37 AM

Ann -- I would love to be a "victim," count me in....

Look for a U2U for details. Thanks!

Jim

susanna - 5-17-2009 at 02:46 PM

Ck your U2U

sent from Sacramento, Ca
Thanks!

Bajahowodd - 5-17-2009 at 03:19 PM

Bhut jolokia. I thought that was a pepper native to India that is just about the "hottest". (sorry habanero) My prefernce in sauces is to have a rich mixture of many flavors. When it get too hot, the ability to appreciate the flavors is overridden. Just my opinion.

BajaNuts - 5-17-2009 at 03:22 PM

going....going....GONE!

susanna got my last pair of samples. There is still the one set going Mulege direction with a traveler and a couple pairs going to Ensenada to the Baja500 rally in June. dtbushpilot is taking those.

And Natalie Ann, I'm making that "Special Edition" for you. I just can't resist a challenge when someone says "it can never be hot enough":lol:

we'll see...................:cool:

thanks to everyone else who has requested samples, I'll be getting them in the mail tomorrow. And if you want one of the above mentioned "traveling" bottles, let me know.
Thanks-
and I hope you all enjoy it painfully!
Ann

BajaNuts - 5-17-2009 at 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Bhut jolokia. I thought that was a pepper native to India that is just about the "hottest". (sorry habanero) My prefernce in sauces is to have a rich mixture of many flavors. When it get too hot, the ability to appreciate the flavors is overridden. Just my opinion.

Yes Bajahowodd, that is correct. it was discovered fairly recently in India. Called bhut jolokia, ghost pepper, naga jolokia, and a couple other regional names.

Habaneros typically come in around 500,000 Scoville. The bhut jolokia have been tested at over 1,000,000 Scoville! earning it the official Guinness Book Of Records status as the hottest pepper in the world.

I also like my sauces to have some good flavor. What's the point of all the heat if it doesn't taste good?

Bajahowodd - 5-17-2009 at 03:33 PM

Because too much heat overwhelms any detectable flavor!!

Natalie Ann - 5-17-2009 at 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNuts
And Natalie Ann, I'm making that "Special Edition" for you. I just can't resist a challenge when someone says "it can never be hot enough":lol:

we'll see...................:cool:

Ann

Oh dear - I said that?:biggrin:

ummmmm.... actually, Ann.... I was thinking your description already sounded pretty darn hot what with those Indian peppers 'n all.:wow:

okey doke..... I'll rise to the occasion.
I'll have plenty of milk on hand and look forward to tasting this fiery sauce.
Report at 6.:dudette:

Nena

susanna - 5-17-2009 at 04:17 PM

Thanks Ann, I will be looking for it in the mail.

BajaNuts - 5-17-2009 at 04:55 PM

From wikipedia-"what is a Scoville unit?"
"Scoville Organoleptic Test
In Scoville's method, a solution of the pepper extract is diluted in sugar syrup until the "heat" is no longer detectable to a panel of (usually five) tasters; the degree of dilution gives its measure on the Scoville scale. Thus a sweet pepper or a bell pepper, containing no capsaicin at all, has a Scoville rating of zero, meaning no heat detectable, even undiluted. Conversely, the hottest chilis, such as habaneros, have a rating of 200,000 or more, indicating that their extract has to be diluted 200,000 times before the capsaicin presence is undetectable. The greatest weakness of the Scoville Organoleptic Test is its imprecision, because it relies on human subjectivity."

I've heard it mentioned elsewhere (even on TV food shows) that Scoville heat units are measured by dilution with water. That appears to be incorrect.

And if anyone has ever watched a food show from some of the fiery food festivals, you may have noticed that SUGAR is the antidote for too-much-heat. Not bread, milk, water,............beer works cuz you get drunk and forget why your mouth is on fire..........:lol:

From first-hand experience of tasting pure peppers, sugar is the trick! I bought some pepper extract that has a Scoville of 1,000,000 and had to try it. I dipped a toothpick into the extract, touched it to my tongue and about passed out! I had to eat 1/2 cup straight sugar, holding it in my mouth, to finally kill the heat. My new label will have that tidbit of information on it.

BMG - 5-17-2009 at 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Because too much heat overwhelms any detectable flavor!!

:fire::fire::fire:Sez you.:fire::fire::fire:

Ann - Looking forward to trying your hot sauce. Thanks!!!

stimbo - 5-17-2009 at 05:56 PM

Ann -- Thank you again for the generous offer. I cannot wait! What could be better than chiles and garlic? Perhaps a beer?

Best,

Jim

Yummy!

Gypsy Jan - 5-17-2009 at 06:12 PM

BajaNuts,

I sent you a U2U with my San Diego mailing address.

Drooling in advance,

GJ

BajaNuts - 5-17-2009 at 08:15 PM

uhho....(i was afraid this would happen..........)

For the late u2u's, I'll have to make more. Thanks to all and I don't want to leave anyone out. Keep sending me your u2u's and I'll make some more.

BATCH #2 another 20 samples!

bajaguy - 5-17-2009 at 09:27 PM

Headed south to Ensenada, Punta Banda and BOLA if you have any left!!!

Can deliver/drop off along the way.

edited for spelling

[Edited on 5-18-2009 by bajaguy]

BajaNuts - 5-18-2009 at 08:26 AM

I'll be making another batch if anyone wants to take up bajaguy's offer for delivery to Ensenada, Punta Banda or BOLA-

bajamigo - 5-18-2009 at 08:32 AM

Bajaguy, pick some up for us. BajaNuts, if you prefer to ship, I'll be happy to cover your costs.

bajaguy - 5-18-2009 at 08:38 AM

You are "on the list", bajamigo!!

GeoRock - 5-18-2009 at 03:28 PM

OOOOHHHHHH Yesss, count me in!

Oh, well I just read your posts and realized I am too late. Well, if anyone is heading to BOLA with samples, drop one by Camp Gecko at my house.

Everyone knows that chocolate is the thing to eat when a weakling finds a hot sauce "too hot." Is there such a thing?
We have a shelf dedicated to hot sauces and salsas in our frig; having about 25 bottles open at all times. Taco nights are famous at my house, with people appearing out of the woodwork when they hear it's taco night.

We are proud to say we have introduced many to the pleasures of hot sauces. Some are working hard at building up so they can join my family in the upper echelon of chile heads.

When we travel, we buy hot sauces as our souvenirs.
YUM.

[Edited on 5-18-2009 by GeoRock]

BajaNuts - 5-18-2009 at 06:47 PM

GeoRock- NOT TOO LATE!

I already u2u'd to you. Will get some on the way in a couple days. Just want to let others know I'm making another batch. Chocolate....sugar.......makes sense. As I posted earlier, what they use at fiery food competitions is sugar. It works!

For (almost) everyone else, samples are on the way. Sent out by Priority Mail today. Should be receiving them in2-3 days. There are 2 varieties you will be receiving......and a little surprise.

A~

[Edited on 5-19-2009 by BajaNuts]

docsmom - 5-18-2009 at 09:00 PM

I'll be looking forward to the next taste test. I didn't originally respond 'cuz I thought you'd need more feedback than just the DH & I. And while we're chili-heads, and your recipes sound great, I thought you should have a more broad range of tasters. But, I just now realized that the DH eats lunch every day in his company lunchroom and he could take it and share it with his workmates and get feedback from them. Opportunity!?!?!? So ,next time Nutty, I'll be in. And if you want another taste test on the current batch let me know.
Looking forward to the taste test!
Docsmom (Kathy)

PS, are you in Wenatchee? Love Washington state!!!!!!!!!!

BajaNuts - 5-18-2009 at 10:19 PM

DocsMom-

I have another batch on the way!
Send me u2u your addy and I'll get it out to you.

I was hoping to send samples out to private people who love hot stuff and might share it with 1-2 other people. I think you fit the bill. I'm loooking for personal taste preferences from people who like hot stuff. If you are a self-proclaimed chile-head,.....YOU QUALIFY!

Funny thing is, in our story that comes with the samples, we share how my hubby took jars of hot sauce to work and the guys on the jobsite stole the jars out of his lunchbox...:tumble: true story!

We are in the Methow Valley, about an hour north of Wenatchee on Hwy 97! Actually it's 1 1/2 houras from our house to Costco in Wenatchee...(ya gotta have LANDMARKS>>RIGHT?!?!?)

u2u me and I'll send some for you and the Docs!
Annn

DavidT - 5-18-2009 at 11:04 PM

Do you have a website? When you get us hooked can we still score?
Please say yes.

Byron - 5-20-2009 at 12:51 PM

I received my order today , thank you very much. I will get to work this evening. I will proceed with extreme caution . I admit that I am a bit intimidated by these Ghosts.

[Edited on 5-20-2009 by Byron]

[Edited on 5-20-2009 by Byron]

Natalie Ann - 5-20-2009 at 04:04 PM

This is wonderful.... my package of hot sauces just arrived along with a wonderful packet of chipolte dip mix. I feel like a kid in a candy store. And being a dessert first kinda person, I immediately opened each bottle of sauce for a taste test. Boy oh boy are these babies delicious!

That special batch of hotness you made up for me, Ann.... wow!:fire: Now that is something! Absolute perfection - although I admit to taking a break after the half teaspoon.:o:O Gonna have to make me a taco to go under it.

Thank you for your generosity. The survey will be returned in the mail with it's edges scorched by my breath.;D:biggrin::dudette:

Nena

Fred - 5-20-2009 at 04:45 PM

Ann................just received both bottles and the dip mix. Wow, I must say what great flavor. I also did the spoon test and then had a salad for dinner mixing the tropical ghost with my home-made blue cheese dressing. All I can say it took the salad to a taste beyond my dreams. The big test will be on the eggs in the am. Damn, I know I will wake up early for sure. I will fill out your paperwork and return it this week. Plan to use the dip while BBQing on Monday. Thanks again.

Fred

Natalie Ann - 5-20-2009 at 04:51 PM

So Fred.... do we get your home-made blue cheese recipe por favor?

Nena

Fred - 5-20-2009 at 05:07 PM

Nena.........check your u2u

BajaNuts - 5-20-2009 at 06:07 PM

oh Fred...........if that Bleu cheese dressing happens to get mixed up with the survey papers and mailed back to me, I wouldn't tell anyone!

Thanks for the quick replies, and I have the rest of the packages ready to mail tomorrow (Thursday). And I have to send a HUGE apology to the 2nd group, I forgot to include your surprise. It's a little packet to make some chipotle dip. Let me know if you want some, I can mail it. I ran out of regular mailing boxes so I had to raid the recycle bin for some boxes. You'll definitely know if your box came out of the recycle bin!:biggrin:

DavidT- did you send a request to me? I don't have it on my list, so if I missed you, u2u me again. I don't have a website up yet, but am working on it.

Thanks Everyone! I'm looking forward to your suggestions.
A~

capt. mike - 5-21-2009 at 05:53 AM

WOW!! Ann - your sauces ROCK!

you need to establish a mail order sales system - you'll have me as a customer.
thanks so much for the trial test batch - i'll get my survey back to you.

stimbo - 5-21-2009 at 05:40 PM

Jeez Ann! My samples arrived today as well.... thank you. You are quick! Very tasty. My questionnaire will go out tomorrow after we have a group taste test. I'm mixing up the chipotle for a trial run tomorrow. More later..... again thanks! Jim

BajaNuts - 5-21-2009 at 09:56 PM

I put the rest of the samples in the mail today, Priority. Most should arrive by Saturday, so if you have a PO box, make sure you check it while the office is open. Our post office is only open for 1 1/2 hours on Saturday, so if we're expecting a package, we have to get there while they're open. The boxes are too big to fit into regular PO boxes.
Thanks, everyone, hope you're having painfully huge amounts of fun with the stuff.;)

Ghost Fire

bajapablo - 5-22-2009 at 07:15 PM

Ann
Just got the sauce and immediately had ghost fire on my burrito we were having for dinner. It was wonderful; smoky, hot, with a bite of vinegar. very good. Alas, I am leaving for the big island tomorrow and will be gone 10 days. I will fill out the questionairre and sample the tropical when I get back. I am very excited to try the dip as well. Thanks so much!!
Pablo

Sharksbaja - 5-22-2009 at 10:07 PM

You better somehow make this a Baja related post. Otherwise we'll all start selling stuff here.;) I know, call your sauce "Mulege Madness" or Baja Blister Sauce!:bounce:

Will critique sauce soon, thanks. Corky

BajaNuts - 5-22-2009 at 11:43 PM

OOOOoooo! Nice names! I need that kind of inspiration! Can I use them if other's like them?

Not selling, just testing....

Not to worry m8's, when I get a website up, I'll only add a link to it to the bottom of my ......profile? is that where other weblinks are posted? Sorry, don't know what you call that area at the bottom of people's posts.

Ummm... let's see.............tie in to Baja..................
one contains chipotle peppers (aka smoked jalapenos, jalapeno peppers are grown in Baja) and the other contains mandarin oranges (distant cousins to the naranjas grown in Baja) ....does that count? :light:
edited to include---the sauce is in glass bottles, which are made from sand, which is all over Baja...:light:

:biggrin:

[Edited on 5-23-2009 by BajaNuts]

wakemall - 5-26-2009 at 08:36 PM

Recieved the sample today. Where do we purchase more. Very very good. It is not to hot. I shared this with a cook in Fresno and he will purchase your product. I am sure my brother in CO will purchase.

BajaNuts - 5-26-2009 at 08:48 PM

Thanks, wakemall,

The sauces are still in R & D.....hence the taste-testing.

After the recipe is finalized, using the input from all you great victims, I'll make any changes necessary, and then the final recipe has to be tested by a "food processing authority" to make sure it's all food safe and everything.

Couple months before it'll be on the market. Thanks for the interest.......will keep ya posted......

bajaguy - 5-26-2009 at 08:51 PM

Got my box of goodies, BN.........I will be distributing to my list down Baja the week of June 5th

wakemall - 5-27-2009 at 08:33 PM

I sent you a U2U. Please check... I also can everything. My hot sauce is usually a mix of home grown Fresno peppers, jalapenos, white onions, green bell peppers, and green onions. The majority is used in my wild pig and venison sausage…..

I also can Albacore, Yellowtail, peaches, tomatoes, etc….

Not worried about govt testing……..

Bob H - 6-19-2009 at 11:54 AM

I don't know how in the world I missed this thread.
Darn.... Bob H

GeoRock - 6-29-2009 at 12:41 PM

Both sauces are fantastic. Missed the chipoltle mix; not in box...
Am mailing responses today, and looking forward to being able to purchase the products in BULK.

Wonderful blending of flavor and heat!

JESSE - 6-29-2009 at 02:51 PM

Count me out, you have 3 of the spiciest chiles in the world in a bottle, i rather whip myself watching Golden Girls re-runs. :spingrin:

BMG - 8-8-2009 at 09:06 PM

Tried both of the hot sauces on several dishes now. I like the Ghost Fire Hot Sauce okay, but have others I prefer. On the other hand, the Tropical Ghost Hot Sauce is great. I really like using it as a dip on lots of different foods. Really good with a turkey sandwich! I would definitely purchase more of it.

Thanks again!

Hot Sauce

wakemall - 8-10-2009 at 07:39 PM

When are you going to allow us to purchase this great product?????

BajaNuts - 8-11-2009 at 08:23 AM

I've been waiting for 3 weeks for my "official letter from the powers that be" stating the product is safe.

I'll get it on line soon after that. In the mean time, contact me directly, we can work something out.;)