BajaNomad

HOW TO ADD PHOTOS TO YOUR NOMAD POST

David K - 5-21-2009 at 03:01 PM

A review of three methods from an older thread... for the new Nomads or the PC challenged Nomads... Note: there are many methods, and I suggest you go to the older thread where 'everyone' provided their favorite... the following are MY prefered methods, and I want to keep it as easy as possible to help folks who are photo posting challenged.

A) ADDING A PHOTO THAT IS IN YOUR PC PICTURES FOLDER:

A photo that is in your computer file can be displayed on Nomad pages in certain forums where it is allowed...

The photo's file size must be BELOW 50 kbs to post here. Open your photo file ('My Pictures' or ?) find the photo you want to share and move your mouse arrow onto the photo thumbnail... a pop up will tell you how big it is in kbs or mbs.

TO POST A PHOTO:

Simply click the button labled 'Browse' just below where you type a message, and your pc will pop up a window of your photo files... simply click on the photo you wish to post (if it is under 50 kbs). The post must have a subject or some text with the photo to post.

IF your photo is over 50 kbs, then here is one method to reduce the size, and make it a duplicate (so the original full size photo is preserved). I thank Neal Johns for showing me.

(If the photo you want to post is already on another web site, then you may 'hot link' it to Nomad, and the size doesn't matter... unless it isn't too big and distorts the screen. Hot linking will be described below.)

PHOTOS IN YOUR PC OVER 50 KB, click on each step:

If 'paint' isn't on your deck top, do this (click on):

a) Start

b) All Programs

c) Accesories
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) Paint (start here if 'paint' is on your desk top)
2) File

3) Open...

3a) then click on the photo to get reduced (double click).

4) Image

5) Stretch/Skew... then change the % down from 100 in both boxes in sketch to a lesser number.... (if over 700 kb try 25%, if 400 kb try 35%, if 120 kb try 70%, if 60 kb try 90%)

Continue to Click on:

6) OK

7) File

8) Save As

8a) now type in a new name for the reduced photo or add -r to it to indicate it is the 'reduced' one... this is a copy so you don't mess with the original.

9) Save

THAT'S IT!

Now, click on file and open again, move your mouse arrow over the reduced photo and see if it is between 25 and 50 kb.

When you move the mouse over the reduced photo in the files, the kb size will show and let you know if you didn't get it low enough, or too low! In either case, repeat the steps above... working with the original, large photo.

After you do a couple it gets pretty easy.

=====================================================

B) HOT LINKING FROM ANOTHER WEBSITE:

If the photo you want to show on Nomad is already on another web site, and it is your photo or you have permission to use it, then get the url of the photo... and click on
which is right above where you type a message. A pop up will give you a place to paste the url of the photo.

To get the url (begins with http:// ), move your mouse over that photo and right click on it, then left click 'properties' in the new pop up. Copy the address/ url with your mouse to paste on Nomad in

Here is a hot link from my web site:

If you have your photos on a photo album web site, there may be a direct link option that will have the html tags ([img]) already included... see Photobucket.com instructions below...

======================================================

C) PHOTOBUCKET.COM

Photos can be copied onto your (free) photobucket.com album from your PC files... just pre select the size reduction setting as 15" screen or smaller... not 17" and not 1 mg. so the Nomad board doesn't get streched wide requiring awkward right scrolling to read messages.

To show any photos on Nomad, put your mouse on your photobucket photo, and a drop down menu will appear with these four choices and a url or 'code' next to each... for that photo:

Email & IM
Direct Link
HTML Code
IMG Code

Copy the last one (IMG Code), and paste that right on the Nomad page where you type a message... where ever you want the photo to appear in your thread.

===================================================

MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU!:light:

[Edited on 2-9-2010 by David K]

BajaNuts - 5-21-2009 at 11:22 PM

Thanks for the mini-tutorial. I could get the pics to photobucket and the had to do eenie-meenie-minie-moe to get the right link for the forum. And after a couple vino rojo's I'd have to do it all over again for the next photo. Nice to know how to post from own pc.
A~

[Edited on 5-22-2009 by BajaNuts]

rpleger - 5-22-2009 at 07:57 AM

It took me awhile to learn, photobucket works best for me.

Thanks for the reminder

David K - 5-22-2009 at 08:18 AM

After I read a post from Gypsy Jan, I decided to re-post this guide to help her (and others)...

I do think photos are a very popular part of Nomad... and Baja is so photogenic.

Have a nice weekend, we are leaving for Baja in 7 hours... :bounce:

BajaGringo - 5-22-2009 at 11:17 AM

MS Paint actually uses a very simplistic and inaccurate algorithm for resizing photos. You will get distortion if you look closely. A better choice is a free program I use for a lot of my web work is IRFAN

Download IRFAN - Free Image Software

I suggest you consider downloading and installing the plugins if you like the program and frequently work with different graphic formats.

Try it and see how much better your resizes come out...

:cool:

[Edited on 5-22-2009 by BajaGringo]

vandenberg - 6-26-2009 at 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaGringo
MS Paint actually uses a very simplistic and inaccurate algorithm for resizing photos. You will get distortion if you look closely. A better choice is a free program I use for a lot of my web work is IRFAN

Download IRFAN - Free Image Software

I suggest you consider downloading and installing the plugins if you like the program and frequently work with different graphic formats.

Try it and see how much better your resizes come out...

:cool:

[Edited on 5-22-2009 by BajaGringo]

Too complicated :no:

woody with a view - 10-12-2009 at 05:09 PM

Quote:

(1000 kb=1 mb)

wrong!

woody with a view - 10-12-2009 at 05:37 PM

1MB=?kb ask google.

dtutko1 - 2-9-2010 at 07:07 AM

David
Not too complicated (we'll see if it works) mil gracias. now i'm going to try and post it.

photo posting

C-Urchin - 2-11-2010 at 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
A review of three methods from an older thread... for the new Nomads or the PC challenged Nomads... Note: there are many methods, and I suggest you go to the older thread where 'everyone' provided their favorite... the following are MY prefered methods, and I want to keep it as easy as possible to help folks who are photo posting challenged.

A) ADDING A PHOTO THAT IS IN YOUR PC PICTURES FOLDER:

A photo that is in your computer file can be displayed on Nomad pages in certain forums where it is allowed...

The photo's file size must be BELOW 50 kbs to post here. Open your photo file ('My Pictures' or ?) find the photo you want to share and move your mouse arrow onto the photo thumbnail... a pop up will tell you how big it is in kbs or mbs.

TO POST A PHOTO:

Simply click the button labled 'Browse' just below where you type a message, and your pc will pop up a window of your photo files... simply click on the photo you wish to post (if it is under 50 kbs). The post must have a subject or some text with the photo to post.

IF your photo is over 50 kbs, then here is one method to reduce the size, and make it a duplicate (so the original full size photo is preserved). I thank Neal Johns for showing me.

(If the photo you want to post is already on another web site, then you may 'hot link' it to Nomad, and the size doesn't matter... unless it isn't too big and distorts the screen. Hot linking will be described below.)

PHOTOS IN YOUR PC OVER 50 KB, click on each step:

If 'paint' isn't on your deck top, do this (click on):

a) Start

b) All Programs

c) Accesories
1) Paint (start here if 'paint' is on your desk top)
2) File

3) Open...

3a) then click on the photo to get reduced (double click).

4) Image

5) Stretch/Skew... then change the % down from 100 in both boxes in sketch to a lesser number.... (if over 700 kb try 25%, if 400 kb try 35%, if 120 kb try 70%, if 60 kb try 90%)

Continue to Click on:

6) OK

7) File

8) Save As

8a) now type in a new name for the reduced photo or add -r to it to indicate it is the 'reduced' one... this is a copy so you don't mess with the original.

9) Save

THAT'S IT!

Now, click on file and open again, move your mouse arrow over the reduced photo and see if it is between 25 and 50 kb.

When you move the mouse over the reduced photo in the files, the kb size will show and let you know if you didn't get it low enough, or too low! In either case, repeat the steps above... working with the original, large photo.

After you do a couple it gets pretty easy.

=====================================================

B) HOT LINKING FROM ANOTHER WEBSITE:

If the photo you want to show on Nomad is already on another web site, and it is your photo or you have permission to use it, then get the url of the photo... and click on
which is right above where you type a message. A pop up will give you a place to paste the url of the photo.

To get the url (begins with http:// ), move your mouse over that photo and right click on it, then left click 'properties' in the new pop up. Copy the address/ url with your mouse to paste on Nomad in

Here is a hot link from my web site:

If you have your photos on a photo album web site, there may be a direct link option that will have the html tags ([img]) already included... see Photobucket.com instructions below...

======================================================

C) PHOTOBUCKET.COM

Photos can be copied onto your (free) photobucket.com album from your PC files... just pre select the size reduction setting as 15" screen or smaller... not 17" and not 1 mg. so the Nomad board doesn't get streched wide requiring awkward right scrolling to read messages.

To show any photos on Nomad, put your mouse on your photobucket photo, and a drop down menu will appear with these four choices and a url or 'code' next to each... for that photo:

Email & IM
Direct Link
HTML Code
IMG Code

Copy the last one (IMG Code), and paste that right on the Nomad page where you type a message... where ever you want the photo to appear in your thread.

===================================================

MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU!:light:

[Edited on 2-9-2010 by David K]

50 KB you got to be kidding, right????

just a try

C-Urchin - 2-11-2010 at 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody in ob
1MB=?kb ask google.

here we go...

David K - 2-11-2010 at 08:26 AM

The under 50 kb is only if you use the browse feature for Nomad to post your pics off your PC files.

If you use another web site or photobucket, etc. the file size doesn't matter (since it isn't being stored on Nomad). However, if you do link from another site, please try and use the size that doesn't distort standard monitors screens (15").

Woooosh - 2-11-2010 at 09:13 AM

I'm good with computers but pretty much gave up posting photos here (without another nomad assisting me that is). I do think there would be many more great baja photos if it were automatic and easier. I think we miss a lot of baja experiences because people just give up.

Most other sites (facebook, youtube, etc) allow you to send a full sized image and their system does the resizing work.

When I try to re size a 10MB photo using ImageBam, by the time I get it down to <51KB you can't even see it.

David K - 2-11-2010 at 09:27 AM

That is why a photo hosting site is better... the images can remain 'large'.

El Jefe - 2-11-2010 at 04:14 PM

Hey, maybe this will work!
Turtle launch (not lunch) at Destiladeras.

El Jefe - 2-11-2010 at 04:20 PM

Oh cool. thanks David I can finally post pictures that are regular sized. These through Picasa via Google.

And yes, baby turtles go well with c-cktails.

Bajahowodd - 2-11-2010 at 04:24 PM

I thought Irfan was a character in an 80's sitcom.:lol:

David K - 2-11-2010 at 06:12 PM

Those are GREAT Tom!!! You and Paula must be having a great time!!

I am glad the tutorial helped!:light:

David K - 3-4-2010 at 09:06 PM

Bump for Wilderone

cj5orion - 3-5-2010 at 07:25 AM

jusa try ?
oh crap ! cant even find a way to post a trial pic on this reply ?

David K - 3-5-2010 at 08:37 AM

Remember, if you want to try a photo from your PC it must be under 50 kb. and you can't use the 'Quick Reply' box... you must use the standard 'Post Reply' or 'New Topic' to have the 'Browse' button!

If the photo is already on another web site, then get the URL for the photo (right click, properties) which begins with http:// and ends with .jpg (usually) and insert it in your Nomad post between these codes: [img] and [/img] with no spaces between.

cj5orion - 3-5-2010 at 08:56 AM

AHHHH ! I was in quick reply !

cj5orion - 3-5-2010 at 09:13 AM

lets try this ?