BajaNomad

Puertocitos to Gonzaga Bay and Lake Chapala

Paulclark - 6-8-2009 at 08:50 AM

Just drove south from Puertocitos to Gonzaga Bay -- not a lot of fun. The first 6 miles are paved, the next 6 miles are under construction and you wander through the construction site and the last 40 miles are ugly --- gnarly rocks hungry for your side walls and very slow going -- 5mph for a lot of it. From Gonzaga to Coco's corner is fair using the side roads with a 20+ average speed, slowly getting better closer to Coco's and then after Coco's it is good -- 40 mph. From there south to Cabo the road is in great shape.:yes:

David K - 6-8-2009 at 09:14 AM

Thanks for the new road report!

Puertecitos south to Gonzaga is a tough land to build a road over!

Bob H - 6-8-2009 at 09:25 AM

We did that trip in our Lance Cabover Camper rig... it took us over 6 hours to get from San Felipe to Gonzaga Bay. But, what a beautiful area to behold! We campted at Papa's place for four days and explored all around that area. One of the best places in Baja!

Did you stop at Cowpatties?
Bob H

[Edited on 6-8-2009 by Bob H]

Paulclark - 6-8-2009 at 09:36 AM

We stopped and spent the night at Alfonsina's. This was the first time we have been there since 1991 so interesting to see the changes and refresh our memory of its beauty. It was nice being back in the old Baja, where doors don't lock and the accomodation is pretty funky but you feel safe, secure and welcome. -- Not like the 5 star isolation. We had to move on as we had commitments in Cabo so couldn't stay and explore. The locals expect the road to be completed and paved in 5 years. It is very tough road building country but they had some big equipment in moving the mountains. Paul

David K - 6-8-2009 at 09:48 AM

The view from Alfonsina's restaurant is a great one...

1106 216r.JPG - 49kB

Cypress - 6-8-2009 at 09:55 AM

It's an adventure!!! One heck-uv-a wild ride! :bounce:

Curt63 - 6-16-2009 at 04:55 PM

That road kicked our ass 2 weeks ago (towing a trailer with 2 utility quads). Took a long sober 7 hours Puertocitos to Chapala. 4x4 was a must with a trailer (steep sections)

Pacifico - 6-16-2009 at 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Curt63
That road kicked our burro 2 weeks ago (towing a trailer with 2 utility quads). Took a long sober 7 hours Puertocitos to Chapala. 4x4 was a must with a trailer (steep sections)

I think I see the problem.....you were sober!!! If you weren't you could have made it in 2 hours!!!! Just kidding......:lol:

[Edited on 6-17-2009 by Pacifico]

Paulclark - 6-16-2009 at 08:40 PM

Trailers and washboard don't mix. Last time I tried a trailer on washboard I ended up in Bahia Tortuga for a couple days fixing broken springs. Two ATV's on a tandem trailer and broke 4 springs on that trip.

Pacifico - 6-17-2009 at 06:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulclark
Trailers and washboard don't mix. Last time I tried a trailer on washboard I ended up in Bahia Tortuga for a couple days fixing broken springs. Two ATV's on a tandem trailer and broke 4 springs on that trip.

I totally agree!!! I've had my share of trailer problems in the dirt as well. My worst time was breaking an axle on a boat trailer out on the dirt - what a PITA!!!!

rhintransit - 6-17-2009 at 07:43 AM

how about that road and touring bicycles? I host cyclists through Warmshowers.org, recently had Swiss guests who were cycling south to north (actually Switzerland to Switzerland round the world, but that's another story) who plan to do the route. having had one set whose review was 'horrible, horrible, horrible' I discouraged it, but...
they promised to email how it went. will let you know.

Curt63 - 6-17-2009 at 08:16 AM

As a former trithlete/cyclist I will phrase this as carefully as I can.

When the "planners" of the roads and highways of baja were planning their roads, I dont think they even remotely considered the needs of cyclists.

I respect the desires of people that want to cycle, but I had 3 close calls that could have been serious if I had not slowed and yielded in order to protect the cyclist.

CYCLING ON MEX 1 IS REALLY DANGEROUS. However, I have never cycled it and would encourage you to speak to people that have.

After 35 years of continual hard use , maintenance and repairs, most paved roads are very problematic (narrow, curvy and no shoulder) for bicycles.

But, you asked about a specific road I traveled 2 weeks ago. It has some fairly steep, rocky (orange to grapefruit size) , soft, wet(construction) and sandy sections. It is no place for narrow tires! You will definately have to get off and walk certain sections.

Having said that, it is a far better place for cyclists than Mex 1.

Have a safe trip!

baitcast - 6-17-2009 at 11:18 AM

It may be now but in the 60,s thu early 80,s this was reality,last climb of the three sisters,no place for man nor beast let alone a cyclists:lol:
Rob

[Edited on 6-17-2009 by baitcast]

Curt63 - 6-17-2009 at 12:56 PM

Dang!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didn't see anything nearly that bad 2 weeks ago.

Skipjack Joe - 6-17-2009 at 01:31 PM

Cool picture, Rob. Things have gotten a lot better now but you can still see how it could have been like that not to long ago. I actually envy your trips down to Papa's in the 60's. No disrespect on the other thread was intended.

baitcast - 6-17-2009 at 02:37 PM

I always knew what Lewis and Clark must have felt like at the end of their trip:lol:or Rocky at the top of the last climb.

I had never done things like that,it was high adventure for us and than the rewards when we got there!!
Rob

I ran into the pic the other day,its a pic by Bob H 3 or 4 years ago.

Other wise known as the dreaded ledge:lol:

Pacifico - 6-17-2009 at 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by baitcast
It may be now but in the 60,s thu early 80,s this was reality,last climb of the three sisters,no place for man nor beast let alone a cyclists:lol:
Rob

[Edited on 6-17-2009 by baitcast]

Baitcast - Where is this road / the 3 sisters? Thanks!!!

David K - 6-17-2009 at 05:26 PM

This is near the top of one of the 'Gonzaga Grades' (or 'sisters' as some called them)... Number 6 on the map, I believe?

Cliff Cross illustrated them well in his 1970 Baja guide...

The road we use now was built in 1986-87 and allowed 2WD to safely get south of Puertecitos for the first time.

[Edited on 6-18-2009 by David K]

Pacifico - 6-17-2009 at 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
This is near the top of one of the 'Gonzaga Grades' (or 'sisters' as some called them)... Number 6 on the map, I believe?

The road we use now was built in 1986-87 and allowed 2WD to safely get south of Puertecitos for the first time.

Cool map! I've been down that road many times, but don't recognize that section. They must have bypassed it or really tore into that section??? Does anyone know if that old section is still there?

David K - 6-17-2009 at 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pacifico
Quote:
Originally posted by David K

Cool map! I've been down that road many times, but don't recognize that section. They must have bypassed it or really tore into that section??? Does anyone know if that old section is still there?

Pacifico, that road was replaced in 1987... you would have had to drive south of Puertecitos before 1986 to experience it. That grade with the cut on top is just north of El Huerfanito. The newer road is slightly west of it and on the opposite canyonside in places.

Here is a photo of me driving down the steep face of one of the grades (northbound) in 1974...

scan0003r.JPG - 40kB

David K - 6-17-2009 at 10:18 PM

Another photo of the old road, northbound... it was maintained back then until 1974. Then all Gonzaga supplies and fish shipments came and went south to the new highway. The section north of Gonzaga to Puertecitos got worse and worse.

My last time over the old road was in 1979, and it was nearly impassable, in 4WD!

scan0004r.JPG - 36kB

baitcast - 6-18-2009 at 06:57 AM

:lol: DK I knew you would fill in a few of the holes good job.

That last pic is the same hill that had the dreaded ledge only down stream aways,sometime during that period someone smoothed off the steps with concrete,made that stretch just a bit better.

On that hill the first time:lol:never forget it my wife looks down the canyon and see,s all the wrecks that didn,t make it up,yells at me to stop,she wants to get out and walk then she wants to turn around and go home:O

I had to stop couldn,t make it,put on the brakes and start sliding backwards down the hill:o to make a long story shorter we made it only after everyone got out and walked up and I made it on the third run at the hill.

At the top we had a celebration and I felt like Rocky:lol:

Funny thing but after a couple of weeks at PaPa,s place my wife was already looking forward to the next trip down:lol:
Rob

The trip home was much easyer all the up hills were now down hills,the problem then was how do I stop?

[Edited on 6-18-2009 by baitcast]