BajaNomad

Fishing advice

bajamommy - 6-21-2009 at 02:32 PM

So I'm taking my 11 year-old down for three weeks (still looking for people to caravan with, btw). We'll be camping on the Bay of Conception. He's done river fishing and a tiny bit of fly fishing with his uncle, and he enjoy it. Me, I'm CLUELESS about fishing!

Do you all think I should buy him a saltwater rod/reel? If so, what kind? He's a big, strong boy--5'2, 110 pounds of muscle, and still growing like a weed, so if I get him something, I'd rather get something he'd grow into rather than a kid thing. Does that make sense?

Also, today's paper had a Seahawk 2 inflatable boat set for a very reasonable price ($65). Is that the sort of thing that would work for paddling out a little ways from Burro or Coyote or Requeson to fish?

Thanks so much!

Cypress - 6-21-2009 at 02:42 PM

bajamommy, Don't get his expectations ramped up too much.:(

Skeet/Loreto - 6-21-2009 at 03:21 PM

Fishing Advice from and old timer:
Hire Alex at Mulege or Alvaro Murillo at Loreto. They have all the gear you will need. Give that boy a chance to get hooked, then he will know what he wants to do.

I started my kids at 8 and 10 fishing from a Panga- Shore fishing at Conception is pretty tough.
Skeet/Loreto

Curt63 - 6-21-2009 at 03:23 PM

Ditto what Skeet said

bajamommy - 6-21-2009 at 03:42 PM

The very first time he went fishing was from a panga in Mulege. Alonzo took him out on his 5th birthday. My son caught something on his line, and far away we saw a pelican flapping its wings furiously. Alonzo motored over to the pelican and managed to calm it down. He extracted a barracuda from its mouth. My son had caught the barracuda and then pelican had caught the barracuda/hook, and Alonzo managed to get the fish out and free the bird. Then we trolled around some more and my boy caught another barracuda and a sea bass. I have to say he was pretty hooked after that 1st time out! Nothing has ever compared, but he keeps hoping. ;-)

Howard - 6-21-2009 at 04:55 PM

There is a reason that they call it fishing, not catching. I am afraid due to the lack of fish from shore inside the bay that this might frustrate him and turn him off to the sport.

I agree with the previous posts, if it is in your budget, get him out on a panga to go outside the bay and give the kid a fighting chance of hooking a fish that he may never forget. The bonding with Mama won't be so bad either!

Before you go, maybe google the fish "Dorado" and he can learn about what he will be targeting.

comitan - 6-21-2009 at 05:02 PM

Forget the inflatable its a throw away boat, do as others have suggested rent a panga . Shore fishing is for the Birds.:yes::yes::yes:

mulegemichael - 6-21-2009 at 05:11 PM

hey momma...just my two bits...we have a casa in mulege and love it...we also have a boat there and fish a lot...we just got back north after taking my buddies down for three weeks....get the inflatable boat...it's a great way to float around in the bay...but...also...if you want to actually CATCH FISH then go to the mouth of the river in mulege and hire mateo, the fishing guide that lives there...we take him out anytime we can in our boat and he can sniff out fish anywhere/anytime...we just fished with him last week and caught tons of dorado and sailfish...it will be an experience your boy will never forget...there are also some great rockpiles south of mulege toward concepcion that hold tons of fish at certain times of the year...my wife one morning actually beached ten different species casting from shore so that's an option...lots of stuff to do...good luck, mike

LisaR. - 6-21-2009 at 05:30 PM

Bajamommy, I can't give you any fishing advice, but I 100% agree with mulegemichael that you should get the boat. Some of my favorite vacation memories from when I was your son's age involve exploring in an inflatable boat. In fact, your post inspired me to check our paper for that deal...I'm going to consider getting one for my upcoming trip!

Have fun!

Pescador - 6-21-2009 at 05:47 PM

If he was very lucky, he might find a few bay bass or a trigger fish from the inflatable in Concepcion but there are not very many fish there and the advice to take him on a panga for the day is money better spent. When I was his age I had an inflatable and a little motor and I would spend the whole day fishing and catching inshore fish, but alas, that was years ago and there are just not that many fish close to shore in Concepcion. If you are going to fish from shore you would be better off at the breakwater in San Bruno or Santa Rosalia. If you decide to go ahead with the inflatable, his little trout rod should work just fine with some cut up pieces of fish for bait or even little pieces of clam on a hook.

woody with a view - 6-21-2009 at 06:42 PM

if you want my opinion, re-read all of the above......

comitan - 6-21-2009 at 07:18 PM

One more thing to consider, buy him Snorkeling gear and cheap underwater camera. He will have the ultimate enjoyment.

acadist - 6-21-2009 at 07:24 PM

I agree with all of the above.......
the bay is an awesome place to play and hang out, drifting around is a blast, but get him offshore to fish, Mulege is a great place to go out of.

Curt63 - 6-21-2009 at 07:56 PM

Almost forgot. Please show him what a trigger fish looks like. This fish has very serious teeth and could possibly take a hunk out of a finger. Unless he really knows what to do, cut the line and let it go. Not worth it

cbuzzetti - 6-21-2009 at 08:23 PM

If you don't mind driving and exploring then take him towards Bahia San Nicholas. Follow the road north until you get good acces near the beach with rocky shoreline.
I have had fantastic fishing there using krocodiles in the 2-3" size but any casting spoon should work.
It is past the south end of Conception Bay and then about 20 miles of decent dirt road. Go towards La Ramalita. Get the AAA Baja map and buy him The Baja Catch fishing book. The book alone will keep him busy for days.
A good spinning rod with 12-15 lb test will work great. I prefer Shimano stuff, always seems to work.
Can't go wrong with an inflatable boat and a boy. Buy the best you can afford, make sure he has a life jacket with him.
Should be a great trip. Have fun.

Any Nomads out there who may be able to take a future Baja fanatic fishing?

bajamommy - 6-21-2009 at 11:23 PM

Thank you for all the great advice. I really appreciate it!

Martyman - 6-22-2009 at 01:39 PM

Don't forget to let him wander around Ensenada to pick up a switchblade and some skyrockets

Paulina - 6-22-2009 at 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Curt63
Almost forgot. Please show him what a trigger fish looks like. This fish has very serious teeth and could possibly take a hunk out of a finger. Unless he really knows what to do, cut the line and let it go. Not worth it

Another fish to point out would be the Pufferfish. The sting ray shuffle is something else you might want him to practice.

http://www.bahiadelosangeles.info/safety-notices.htm

rpleger - 6-22-2009 at 02:38 PM

Hire Alex or Mateo and get ready to cook some fish....

tripledigitken - 6-22-2009 at 02:39 PM

I'm beginning to think fishing just may be too dangerous myself.;)

Ken

BFS - 6-22-2009 at 03:21 PM

i spent some time in that area paddling a little boat with my 10 yr old. We killed it with chunked bait drifting along the bottom next to the rockpiles. We simply paddled slowly with a tiny weight and the bait bouncing along the bottom and the bass/cabrilla came flying out of the rocks. Small ones, but tons of fun.

Aq

dtbushpilot - 6-22-2009 at 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
I'm beginning to think fishing just may be too dangerous myself.;)

Ken

Me too ken. The last time I was down South I cast directly into a passing pelican. The lure hit him in the rear end and stuck. My first reaction was to push down on the spool with my thumb to avoid the dreaded braided line backlash. I could smell the burning flesh before my brain could tell my thumb to let go of the spool. Then to make matters worse the pelican nearly put my eye out with his beak while I tried to get the hook out of him. I don't have pictures or a video but I do still have a bit of a callous on my thumb.

Think maybe I will take up a safer hobby like surfing or watching TV......dt

bajamommy - 6-22-2009 at 09:47 PM

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I tried to post pix yesterday, but it didn't work. Here's trying again.

Pelican2.gif - 39kB

barracuda

bajamommy - 6-22-2009 at 09:48 PM

and here's the fish...

[Edited on 6-23-2009 by bajamommy]

barracuda2.gif - 44kB

Skipjack Joe - 6-22-2009 at 11:28 PM

Those inflatable rafts are great for the pacific lagoons. Don't know if your heart is set on Conception Bay but if you stop for a day or two at a lagoon with that raft I guarantee you will put a smile on his face.

It is normal, that is normal, to catch a spotted bay bass on every other cast if you know what to do. Go to Laguna Manuela and launch near the entrance in the early morning before the afternoon winds come up. Paddle into the lagoon around the first bend and just beach fish. When tired, paddle to a different spot. I did that as a grown up with flyrod. There won't be any monsters but at that age action is more important anyway.

Tired of the lagoon? Take the road or a pleasant walk to the lighthouse and fish the pocket beaches below for corbina. Attached picture is that of Alex when he was 11 near the lighthouse. The setup you see is good for shore fishing: ugly stick rod ($45) and penn 550SS reel ($85 at cabelas.com). You want to get him equipment that's made for saltwater or it will corrode and break down and ruin his vacation.

I can provide a lot more info if necessary.

Cheers

Picture-079.jpg - 46kB