BajaNomad

Looking for a home under for under $60K

walterbyrd - 6-26-2009 at 01:00 PM

I don't expect anything by the ocean for that price, but what about something inland? I would also like internet access, and fairly close to a town.

Santiago - 6-26-2009 at 01:10 PM

Contact GeoRock on this site.

Osprey - 6-26-2009 at 01:18 PM

Walter, you can do it but you have to come look for yourself. Come to Baja with a serviceable vehicle, a few bucks to get around on, an open mind. Realtors won't be interested in helping you much at that low end but you can do it yourself. Find some little villages that look OK to you, round up somebody who speaks a little English, needs work -- just have him make some inquiries and soon potential sellers will find you. He can find out if they have a deed. If they do, you just look the places over, ask the price in pesos and do it all with a smile. Some of my pals have purchased homes down here just that way -- one for $23,000 U.S. in Santiago, one for $35,000 in Miraflores, one for very cheap in Agua Caliente, etc. etc. --- there are hundreds of Mexican families out there who would sell for reasonable amounts but you have to know if you like the little towns. You'll probably need city services and most of these little villages have them now. Good luck.

Osprey - 6-26-2009 at 01:27 PM

Walter, I thought you might be a retiree. Just belay what I said. Good luck finding work down here AND a cheap house.

k-rico - 6-26-2009 at 01:56 PM

For that price you could also find something close to the water but it will probably be on leased land. In other words your really not buying anything because the land owner owns all improvements, but depending on your game plan it might work out if the lease is for 10 years (the maximum) and legally registered.

Think of it as renting and paying a portion of the rent up front that you will probably, maybe, maybe not, probably not, who knows, get back when you sell to the next guy, if the owner decides to keep leasing and you can sell. Whatever you pay upfront is certainly at risk. Therefore the place should be a good value.

What do the small palapa type houses at Coyote or similar Bahia Conception locations go for these days and what's the typically lease amount?

Cypress - 6-26-2009 at 02:37 PM

k-rico, Good question.:)

shari - 6-26-2009 at 03:44 PM

there are a few fixer uppers from $20 grand and up here all with internet ...a little ranchito that has awesome fruit trees, palms etc., my nephews place is $25 G's and has a nice ocean view...there is a cool place for $20 in San Hipolito...etc...a really nice lot but only a small building on it for $30 with a sweeping view of the bay....there are quite a few available.

all depends what you want and where you want it amigo...

Paulclark - 6-26-2009 at 04:18 PM

close -- including 1/2 acre of land 700 yards from the beach---
http://www.eastcapehomes.com/bajabungalow.html

noproblemo2 - 6-26-2009 at 08:00 PM

It depends upon where you want to be, we live between Rosarito & Ensenada, there are many nice homes in your price range with ocean views, I can tell you which "realtors" in the area not to deal with..

nice one Paul

capt. mike - 6-27-2009 at 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulclark
close -- including 1/2 acre of land 700 yards from the beach---
http://www.eastcapehomes.com/bajabungalow.html

which airport? Los Cabos?
what about from other local strips?

Von - 6-27-2009 at 08:39 AM

Where abouts in baja? buy land put a nice trailer to start? u can be by the ocean for sure........

Paulclark - 6-27-2009 at 08:52 AM

Capt'n Mike
Nearest airport is San Jose del Cabo, nearest airstrip is Las Frailes, (23d22m N, 109d26m W) which has just been resurfaced (cliche) and is open. 4 miles north of us. Next is Rincon which has also just been resurfaced (cliche) and is open. 14 miles north of us.
Paul

walterbyrd - 6-27-2009 at 12:02 PM

I am not looking to buy right now, but maybe soon.

Does Baja have strict rules about where you can put RVs and/or trailers? I am in Colorado, here if you buy land, most likely you have to a home built by an established builder, and you have to do it within a certain amount of time, and it has to meet certain specifications. I could not just buy land an put a trailer on it.

capt. mike - 6-27-2009 at 12:13 PM

thx Paul. good info to have. i have friends at Rincon 6 mos per yr.
that area is superb, by frailes. that is a good , no great land buy i believe.

the only new dirt being made these days is on the ocean floors - get it while it is hot!!

Corky1 - 6-27-2009 at 01:29 PM

Heres one to check out.

http://www.bahiadelosangeles.info/message-board/index.php?do...

Might make a deal on the price???

Good luck,

Corky:lol:

DianaT - 6-28-2009 at 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by walterbyrd
I am not looking to buy right now, but maybe soon.

Does Baja have strict rules about where you can put RVs and/or trailers? I am in Colorado, here if you buy land, most likely you have to a home built by an established builder, and you have to do it within a certain amount of time, and it has to meet certain specifications. I could not just buy land an put a trailer on it.

That would depend on where your are---some quite developed communities have more rules, etc.

Are you aware of the laws about buying real estate in Mexico? Unless you are a Mexican citizen, you cannot outright buy property near the coast---I forget how many miles away from the coast one needs to be, but I sure someone else remembers.

So, IMHO, the safest way to purchase land or a house is through a bank trust which is good for 50 years with the right of renewal for 30 more, plus you can name beneficiaries. However, the cheapest I have heard lately for a bank trust is about $6,000 to 7000. dollars--.

There are other ways that as one agent told us, are legal, but not as safe. But some people are willing to take the chance.

Leased land---longest legal lease in Mexico is one day less than 10 years. Lots of people like this arrangement and many adhere to the idea of don't build anything you are not willing to walk away from----or like you mentioned, a trailer which you can pull away.

Not the place to do it, but I could tell you about a large leased development near San Quintin where the people really thought everything was great with their leases until the "owner" died. They had all built very nice homes. Long story as to how they saved it all, but it cost money and time.

So, just be cautious----Many people are VERY happy on their leased land and have their eyes wide open as to the possibilities.

Good Luck
Diane

[Edited on 6-28-2009 by jdtrotter]

Paulclark - 6-28-2009 at 03:11 PM

Note -- a Bank trust is for 50 years and renewable for an additional 50 years and ---in perpetuity in theory. The trust gives you the same rights as a fee simple property owner. The cost depends on the value of the purchase but is about $5,000 plus 2% of the purchase price. The 2% is the Mexican acquisition tax.

DianaT - 6-28-2009 at 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulclark
Note -- a Bank trust is for 50 years and renewable for an additional 50 years and ---in perpetuity in theory. The trust gives you the same rights as a fee simple property owner. The cost depends on the value of the purchase but is about $5,000 plus 2% of the purchase price. The 2% is the Mexican acquisition tax.

Thanks---I was sure that our Bank Trust only had 30 years for the renewable---but I could be wrong---but then again, I don't think I will be around to worry about it. :yes:

Also, don't forget there is an annual fee paid to the bank holding the trust----still think it is the BEST way to hold property in Mexico---as you say, same rights a fee simple for the most part.

Paulclark - 6-28-2009 at 03:43 PM

The older trusts are for 30 years, the new ones are for 50 and when you renew a 30 year trust you can renew for 50 years. The annual fees vary from bank to bank. The lowest I know of currently are $330US per year.

Bank Trust

jerryjust - 6-29-2009 at 05:06 PM

I pay Bancomer 385.00 a year bank trust. 50 + 50. Just marry a Mexican and put it in their name.

MitchMan - 7-1-2009 at 01:52 PM

WalterByrd,
If you are looking for a lot to put your RV on it and then reside in that as a permanent or vacation home, I have a lot for you in the town of Loreto and 1.5 KM from the malecon and the marina and only three blocks from the new hospital and Bancomer. The lot is in a nice neighborhood with all the city sevices: aboveground electricity and telephone, underground water and sewer, paved streets and concrete sidewalks. Plenty of new construction all around and even a park with a beautiful palapa one block away and visible from the lot.

I have six such residential lots and two of the lots are very realistically priced to sell quickly. I built a website devoted to describing great low cost real estate, lots and housing in Loreto and La Paz, describing Loreto (even has a video of Loreto), real estate closing transaction, construction, and obtaining a new low cost studio home for $55,000 on your own lot. The lots start out at $18,000 USD for 246 sq meters (2,654 sq ft).

Loreto is arguably the most beautiful, peaceful, non-touristy authentic historical (first mission in all of the Americas) Baja town (pop. 14,000) with a beautiful island just six mile off the beach and only two miles from an international airport.

See my website at www.Baja-Lots.com for all the "real" information on low cost housing and lots in Loreto.

I am not a wealthy guy, but I too wanted a place in the Baja that I could afford. I did alot of research and got alot of first hand experience and put all my findings in the website.

moosehunter1957 - 1-3-2010 at 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by walterbyrd
I don't expect anything by the ocean for that price, but what about something inland? I would also like internet access, and fairly close to a town.

We have a place in Mulege , just reduced price , check it out at www.bajaquest.com/re1415/

La Bufadora with ocean view

Bronco - 1-3-2010 at 11:23 AM

2 lots with garage,guest house,2 story unit, BQ area 3 concrete slabs for boats,cars etc. This is a steal at $40 k. It belongs to our neighbors of 10 years who just inherited some land in the hills above La Jolla camp. If interested u2u and I will send pictures.

Bronco

Bajajim1313 - 1-4-2010 at 08:52 AM

I have a 2 bedroom 1 bath casita for sale in Mulege. I lived there full time until Hurricane Jimena and had DSL internet access and all the amenities. My home is completely cleaned up and is now configured as "flood tolerant". It is the nicest house in the Orchard Vacation Village, close to the Sea of Cortez. We are looking to sell it for $50,000, and the property is titled. We have a current fideicomiso. If you're interested, we can send current pictures. You can email a reply to janddstraus@gmail.com.

Bueno suerte

Jim Straus

meme - 1-4-2010 at 11:30 AM

There are many many places here for 60K or less if you are interested in
being on Sea of Cortez / San Felipe side.

Still looking?

Bajajim1313 - 2-1-2010 at 12:28 PM

I have a casita (2 bedroom, 1 bath) that I lived in full time in Mulege. The land is titled through a fideicomiso. When I lived there, I had all the amenities including high speed internet access and high def tv. Yes the house went through the flood but it weathered the storm, is completely fixed up again as good as new and has made it through the worst storm Mulege has had to date. I am asking $50,000 for it and can send you pictures of this great house if you're still looking.

Thanks

roamingthroughbaja - 2-1-2010 at 01:27 PM

Here is a link to a brand new home in El Centenario for $49,900.
http://www.lapaz-centenariohomes.com/Listing/ViewListingDeta...

BajaGordon - 4-12-2010 at 04:10 PM

Under $60K? How can you beat a solid 1 bedroom for under $40K just 30 minutes from Ensenada. This is a great deal...
http://sites.google.com/site/bajabungalows/home/spotlight

capt. mike - 4-12-2010 at 04:42 PM

i was in Tony's home with him this weekend.
it is very nice and a good buy for some one.
i would recommend adding on the lot behind him too for added patio or storage.

[Edited on 4-13-2010 by capt. mike]

roamingthroughbaja - 4-13-2010 at 12:09 PM

Here's another one on a 20X40 lot in El Centenario. Brand new, fully fenced. No thru road.
http://www.lapaz-centenariohomes.com/La_Paz_Municipality/Baj...

toneart - 4-13-2010 at 12:28 PM

Mike,
That was my casita you were in. Not sure if you were in Jim's too, but he is not here now, although his is still for sale. Mine is the one that has an available lot behind it. Mine also has a 2nd bathroom upstairs, real tile floors, petate ceilings, double dormer upstairs. You can't go wrong with my house or Jim's.

Mine too is fully restored and I have gotten insurance for this year which includes Flood and Earthquake. (Didn't have insurance last year but restored it for less than $3,000).I am also throwing in my fishing boat as a sweetener. (The boat will come off the deal at the end of April and I will tow it back to No. California). The price is $50,000, TURNKEY. This is way below the price I paid to have it built four and a half years ago. I had it for sale two years ago for $145,000. That is what some others have paid for similar houses here in The Orchard.

My price of $50,000 is not negotiable. I am losing a lot of money already at that price. In that it is insured, and if it should fall down in another flood, (not likely)I will collect, not rebuild and still have a valuable RV pad. If we have no flood this year, my price will go up substantially.

The reason I have not put it on The BajaNomad is because, for whatever reason, a stalker posted my information with negative personal comments.

It will probably flood again, but it is cinder block construction with steel. No drywall. It is easy to clean up after a flood. Very much worth the risk, especially since it is still insureable. It survived Hurricane Jimena, the worst hurricane in history, and is as pretty as ever after cleaning up.

We have our own H.O. Association and we control the Security, electric, water and road infrastructure and common areas. It is a fine community with good neighbors. I also have a Fideicomiso, the bank trust. It is NOT leased land.

This house is a must see! You can't imagine how nice our restored houses and neighborhood looks...what community spirit and pride! The downside is that there is still a lot of rubble along the river where most of the damage occurred. Some have cleared their lots and are suitable as RV pads with electricity and water. Some are building simple palapas. The lots themselves are worth 20,000 to 35,000.

I gave Rick Barber of Pelican Reef Realty Center a listing. You can see it on his website or on BajaQuest. Rick can get all the paper work through and closed in the most expedient manner. You can also contact me if you prefer. I will still give Rick a commission even if you buy it directly from me because he has advertised it and he will process the sale.

capt. mike - 4-13-2010 at 12:33 PM

yes, i corrected - it was Tony's that i was in. very nice casita.
i didn't see Jim's - i am not sure who he is - although i probably saw his listed someplace.
i get very cornfudes...:lol::lol:

Jodine - 3-14-2012 at 05:22 PM

http://www.viviun.com/AD-178075/

angels4 - 3-15-2012 at 01:58 PM

Jodine,
What a beautiful Casita! Good luck with the sale.:D
Laura