BajaNomad

La Reina de las Fiestas in Asuncion!

shari - 8-14-2009 at 07:34 PM

the Fiestas have begun...yesterday was the opening day with beach events and the coronation. Here were the contestants and last years Reina. (excuse the poor quality...it was pretty dark)

The highlight of the evening was when our amiga Bianca was crowned the queen...get a load of that crown eh!!! she raised 40,000 pesos that won her the crown...the princess raised 24,000....so she won by a landslide. 30% of the money raised goes to helping pay for the fiestas.

We enjoyed roaming around watching the kids on the rides and eating at the great food stands.

then the big 14 piece band played...real loud! Love the tuba.

the village is a zoo...lots of people and motorcycles as there are races tomorrow. My favorite event is tomorrow...the horse races...woo hooo.

Amigos were warming up for the fishing tournament...check out these calicos they caught in front of our place today.

and we aint telling where the boys caught these nice yellowtail...they were scouting for the tournament!

[Edited on 8-15-2009 by shari]

Bajaboy - 8-14-2009 at 08:48 PM

Thanks for the update! That's great news about Bianka winning the crown. Her entire family worked incredibly hard raising the money from selling tamales in Santa Rosalia to hosting horse races to selling t-shirts and so on.

Keep the pictures coming.

fishbuck - 8-14-2009 at 09:01 PM

Bianca is very pretty but I vote for the lady in blue showing some leg.
Glad to see the Jurel came to town for the tourney!

Bajagypsy - 8-15-2009 at 09:03 AM

Man oh man, wish I had a time travel machine to get down there!

Bajaboy - 8-15-2009 at 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck
Bianca is very pretty but I vote for the lady in blue showing some leg.
Glad to see the Jurel came to town for the tourney!

Hey Bucky-

If you're ever looking for a great captain and Juan is booked, you should try Bianka's dad, Miguel. He's talented and can put you on the fish.

Zac

shari - 8-15-2009 at 12:32 PM

5 more yellowtail this morning on the scouting excursion...wooo hoo...high hopes for the tourney tomorrow...off to the horse races now...already buzzin!

Cypress - 8-15-2009 at 12:45 PM

shari, Thanks for the pictures. Good times for everybody. There're some good looking young ladies down there. Congrats to them and their families. Good genes. :bounce: It looks like the fish are biting. Doesn't get any better than that. Keep us posted. Thanks again.:D

shari - 8-15-2009 at 01:06 PM

sashimi city! enough to feed the big Band too.

Timo1 - 8-15-2009 at 01:12 PM

I'm pouting right now...Oh well
I'm working in Fort Saint John
Keep the pics comin from fiesta Shari
I LOVE IT !!!!!
Looks like Juan is on the fish (again)(still)
Maybe next year's tourney.....sigh

DianaT - 8-15-2009 at 01:15 PM

We missed the coronation because they changed the day with no notice---one should never read the posted flyers seriously. :lol::lol:

Bajaboy, you remember I posted a picture of Bianca and her best friend a few months ago when we contributed to her winning queen? Well, typical of teenage girls, we ran into Suzy, and they are no longer friends AT ALL.

But we are still really happy Bianca won.

Town is SUPER busy!

[Edited on 8-15-2009 by jdtrotter]

Bajahowodd - 8-15-2009 at 01:48 PM

Fishy- You don't get a vote. In fact no one gets a vote. It's about hard work! All the young ladies are adorable.

Bajagypsy - 8-15-2009 at 07:03 PM

Timo1, I'm with you, are you and your wonderful wife going down around Christmas?