BajaNomad

We've been seeking out sharks this week

vseasport - 8-20-2009 at 06:01 AM

We've been seeking out Sharks this week on the reef at Esperanza at Cabo Pulmo and been duly rewarded for our efforts with a couple of brief sightings of Tiger and Bull Sharks. I say brief because they literally ghosted into view, swam past for a checkout then disappeared leaving us all wondering from which direction they would appear next. The Tiger was maybe 8 - 10 feet in length whilst the bull was about 7 feet. The reef itself seemed in very good shape, Pacific Creolefish littered the waters above the reef and Green Morays patrolled the trenches down low. Leopard Grouper seemed to be the dominant species, in places the reef was thick with them! I also noted a healthy number of Bumphead Parrotfish and as always on this reef, Octopus were easily found. With bottom temperatures averaging 84' Fahrenheit the sea feels like bath water, I used a wetsuit once this week and it was big mistake, I felt too warm and just couldn't cool down! Visibility has once again been fantastic, easily 120+ feet, perfect for checking out the big schools of Panamic Porkfish, Burrito Grunt and Yellow Snapper that have all made an appearance this week. Highlight of the week for me has to be our half hour encounter with a pod of Orcas maybe half a mile off shore near La Ribera. There were about five or six of them hanging out near the surface, Jennifer Rayor was on the panga at the time and she reckoned them to be young females from their shape and size, everyone was buzzed with excitement!

[Edited on 8-20-2009 by vseasport]

TigerShark.jpg - 25kB

Pacifico - 8-21-2009 at 08:36 AM

Cool picture!!! Got any more?

vseasport - 8-22-2009 at 09:53 AM

One might think it is frightening to dive with these sharks. Most folks that dive with us care not to have the experience. The fact is these sharks are not swimming in a circle around us licking their chops. They are magnificent animals and we encounter them in their environment. Most of the time they do not pay any attention to us unless we are lucky enough to find one that is curious and will come our way. Then any sudden movement on our part will spook them and they are gone.

Given those facts it is difficult for us to get decent photos. Here is one we believe to be a bull shark

BullShark.jpg - 34kB