BajaNomad

Jimena

Pages:  1  ..  12    14

Lauriboats - 9-14-2009 at 07:13 PM

Thanks for the update. My husband just arrived in Mulege today, our place is 8 miles south of town, so our neighbors are waiting for updates on the hurricane damage in our area. I really want to thank everyone here for all of the pictures and updates that you have provided, I don't know what I would have done without you. Nomads are the best!

Estrella - 9-14-2009 at 07:59 PM

I want to thank engineermike and everyone who has kept us up to date on conditions in Mulege and the surrounding areas as well as keeping us aware of ways to help. I was wondering if a new thread(s) would be appropriate for the current ever changing conditions in the specific areas people are involved in. such as Mulege, Santa Rosalia, San Ignacio etc. We are on the north side side of the river and we, Rod and Anita, Mel and Ana and KR of "Estrella de Columbia" will be back to muck out(once again), rebuild where necessary if in a different manner, infuse the economy with our dollars and support the wonderful people of Mulege. As Brian who has a place in Huerta Don Chanos and is down there shared with us-beyond the tears is "Viva Mulege"!

mulegemichael - 9-14-2009 at 08:09 PM

dennis....sta. rosalia was thumped big time...we scratched our way through town on the way to mulege...but mulege...oh my gawd!.....so sad, amigo...so sad...it will take a long, long time for this community to come back...and it looks like maybe there's another one on the way...geezus!

DENNIS - 9-14-2009 at 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
...and it looks like maybe there's another one on the way...geezus!

No call for alarm yet, Mike.

http://www.stormpulse.com/pacific

You be da MAN Mike

Posada-BushPilot - 9-14-2009 at 09:35 PM

Great report giving us just the info we need to make "where do we from here" decisions for those folks making an effort to help Mulege.
Ground zero reports, like yours , is exactly what we need to know how to proceed.

My hats off to you first responders. :yes:

Look forward to working with you in the months ahead..

Great Job Amigo! And glad to hear you are back safely.:spingrin:

kp_martin - 9-15-2009 at 08:24 AM

I have a line on some water purification kits. Any ideas on where they are needed? Maybe Ste. Rosalia??
kevin

shari - 9-15-2009 at 09:16 AM

On the water purification offer...perhaps the Lopez mateos area could use them as their desalination plant was damaged (I hear).

Thank you so much engineerMike...very complete report and useful suggestions. I am very impressed with all the work being organized and completed....and proud of our (mexican) government response.

Paladin - 9-15-2009 at 09:17 AM

I'm not meaning to slight Mulege BUT can someone give an update on San Bruno

Thanks

San Bruno?

Feathers - 9-15-2009 at 09:44 AM

Thanks for asking Paladin... I'd like to know how San Bruno was affected also.

Any news?

Pescador - 9-15-2009 at 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paladin

Thanks

Water and electricity is back up yesterday. Lots of damage in the community but everyone seems to be doing well. I spent quite a bit of time with friends on the phone yesterday and they indicated that everyone seems to be recovering nicely. The marina is knocked out again and is full of rocks, gravel, and sand so who knows when they will get that cleaned out. The tecate restaurant down south of the boat ramp was washed away.

Gadget - 9-15-2009 at 12:01 PM

Hey Mike, great report!
A do something guy and word smith to boot. :biggrin:
Whats not to like.
You have an open invite to stop along the I-5 at our place in SD for some of Leslie's great cooking and a few cold ones.
Give us a days heads up and it'll happen.
God bless all your efforts and keep you safe.

Mike Fleming

Posada-BushPilot - 9-15-2009 at 12:31 PM

I just spoke to Mike. He is northbound near castiac just south of Bakersfield but he may take you up on your offer on his next run, Gadget.

Does anyone have an update on the status of Aduana tax exemption? We have a guy headed south with 250 tarps.

thanks

mulegemichael - 9-15-2009 at 04:50 PM

hide em and cross at tecate....we could sure use em here...many many folks with no roofs

Russ - 9-15-2009 at 05:18 PM

This is what I was hoping to find. I was planning on going to Mulege tomorrow, Wed., but someone told me it is Independence Day so I suppose the banks will be closed so I'll have another excuse to put off the trip for another day.

Quote:

Bank: BBVA Bancomer, SA
Branch #: 5140
Address: Calle Zaragoza sn Col Centro Mulege BCS
client name: Ramon Mesa Canett
Account #; 0159340572
interbank key: 012040001593405729
swift------BCMRMXMM
ABA#: 021000021

Russ

Posada-BushPilot - 9-16-2009 at 07:11 AM

The banking info you reposted has been updated. Please see the thread "Mulege relief donations thru Rotary"

If you know Quito, track him down in town and give him your donation, whether its cash or check.

Make check payable to Francisco Javier Rosas Baeza.

Please send an emailto: randykephart@yahoo.com with your name and the amount you donated. I am tracking/accounting for Rotary's donations for relief to Muelge.

An alternative would be to go to the new hospital and ask for Gallito and give him your donation letting him know whats its for.

And Thank You very much for your generosity.:yes:

SANTA ROSALIA FERRY

Posada-BushPilot - 9-16-2009 at 09:10 AM

Does anyone happen to know if the ferry is running from Guyamas to Santa Rosalia??

Thanks

DENNIS - 9-16-2009 at 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Posada-BushPilot
Does anyone happen to know if the ferry is running from Guyamas to Santa Rosalia??

Thanks

Here's their website with contact info:

http://www.ferrysantarosalia.com/

Dennis

Posada-BushPilot - 9-16-2009 at 10:34 AM

Thanks Dennis. I pulled up the website but it doesn't really tell you if they are running or not. I called the travel agent that books the ferry in arizona but no answer.

Calling all nomads

Posada-BushPilot - 9-16-2009 at 10:36 AM

I posted a report from Mulege on the thread: Mulege relief donations thru Rotary.

Please take the time to read it.

DENNIS - 9-16-2009 at 11:05 AM

Quote:
Thanks Dennis. I pulled up the website but it doesn't really tell you if they are running or not. I called the travel agent that books the ferry in arizona but no answer.

I don't know how far into it you went but, if you click on ENGLISH, a little menu comes down with various selections, one of which is CONTACT US. All sorts of phone numbers and addresses.
They're probably out of the office today.

San Bruno

Feathers - 9-16-2009 at 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
Quote:
Originally posted by Paladin

Thanks

Water and electricity is back up yesterday. Lots of damage in the community but everyone seems to be doing well. I spent quite a bit of time with friends on the phone yesterday and they indicated that everyone seems to be recovering nicely. The marina is knocked out again and is full of rocks, gravel, and sand so who knows when they will get that cleaned out. The tecate restaurant down south of the boat ramp was washed away.

Thank you, Pescador! btw... love your avatar!:tumble:

Ferry

Loretana - 9-16-2009 at 05:41 PM

Quote:

Thanks

We drove thru Santa Rosalia (unbelievable mess, but municipal folks were working overtime cleaning up)
last Friday 9-11 and the Ferry was in port loading up.

It looked like business as usual to us.

Loretana

Posada-BushPilot - 9-16-2009 at 06:07 PM

Tanks a million for the ferry info.

New report from Mulege: visit thread; "Mulege relief donations thru Rotary"

Bomberos - Kill the mosquitos!!

kp_martin - 9-16-2009 at 07:44 PM

If somebody can get word to the Bomberos, I just talked to Paul the bug guy and he's the expert. He said you need to get out there and spray at least every other night!! The hell with the dates on the jugs it will still work fine! Even if it has lost some potency it will work! Go for it! He will be there Saturday. We have to stop the Dengue Fever!

kevin

(also posted on BBP)

JEP - 9-17-2009 at 07:34 AM

Is there any information about the valley just outside of Mulege where all the vegetables are grown and where Rays Place is located.
Thanks
Jer

EngineerMike - 9-17-2009 at 01:44 PM

I don't recall report about Ray's Place.

Further up the valley BBP was doing medical evac's and food/supply drops as the roads were out and a lot of rancheros were stranded and their homes/facilities wrecked up. BBP has staged out of the Serenidad air strip for its close access to the valley and the amount of work they and Cruz Roja figured was needed there and because aircraft was the only viable access. I believe this is ongoing.

One older guy broke a leg up in the valley. Friends and/or family put him on a horse and was leading the horse out to get attention to the leg. BBP picked him up. Presumably it was a more comfortable ride from that point.

Juanita - 9-18-2009 at 07:55 AM

Hello to you all. I want to thank you for your coverage of Hurricane Jimena, which I watched until the power and my backup power supply went out here in San Ignacio. By then the story was told. The information you gather is just splendid. Terry and Gary Marcer are well into the cleanup at Ignacio Springs. This storm cleaned arroyos not touched since 1959 and left a two foot carpet of mud on everything around the yurts, with a foot of mud within. Yet most of the yurts stood up. Many people have come to help them and sent help and the spirit is upbeat. They should have delicious meals emerging from the kitchen again soon.

Compared to the flood of Jimena, the flood in 1959 was greater by 1.2 meters in the San Lino neighborhood at the entrance to town. And the flood in 1911 was probably greater still. They named it 'La Gran Creciente', which indicates they had not seen anything like it for a couple of generations.

Our attention has turned to mosquitoes and dengue. The police sprayed the streets last night, and the schools are teaching the children to wash their hands all the way to the elbow. No cases of dengue have occurred yet here in San Ignacio.

toneart - 9-18-2009 at 09:13 AM

This is very good news, Juanita. And welcome to The BajaNomad! You are the kind of positive spirit we need on this forum. :yes:

wilderone - 9-18-2009 at 10:20 AM

Quite a tribute to the yurts that they survived such a storm.

Barry A. - 9-18-2009 at 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wilderone
Quite a tribute to the yurts that they survived such a storm.

Yep-----it blows really hard on the Mongolian steppes.

Barry

Vince - 9-18-2009 at 12:05 PM

I made a run down to Serenedad in my Cessna 182 carrying supplies for Jimena relief Monday and returned Tuesday. Was given a tour of the area by Les and Patsi of Coyote Bay and got a first hand view of the serious destruction along the river and in town. Once again the locals demonstrated their resiliance and toughness in adverse conditions. The streets were recently graded and passable, shopowners were hard at work clearing out the mess. They were getting help, but doing most of it themselves, getting right on it. I had a hole punched thru the roof at our Coyote Bay casa by a palm tree. Very minor compared to most. Everyone working hard in town and @ Serenedad.

Barry A. - 9-18-2009 at 12:08 PM

Vince---------Great to hear---------were you able to land at the Serinidad Airport??

Barry

Barry A. - 9-18-2009 at 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Vince---------Great to hear---------were you able to land at the Serinidad Airport??

Barry

----a really dumb question since you already said you made the trip down to the Serinidad---------how is the airstrip now?

Barry

Marie-Rose - 9-18-2009 at 12:31 PM

I am so glad to hear that it will be business as usual at the San Ignacio Springs B&B:tumble:

Thank you for posting Juanita! I know lots of people heading south will be happy to be able to plan for an overnight there!!

capt. mike - 9-18-2009 at 01:44 PM

Barry - BBP reports strip soft in spots, 2100 ft usable, cones about for markings.

aircraft coming and going several days now. all using short/soft field techniques and no incidents.

Barry A. - 9-18-2009 at 02:35 PM

Thanks Capt. Mike----------In a personal e-mail from "Vince" he echos what you say here, vintage last Tues. Can only get better as the days go by, I presume.

Sounds like Mulege is rising to the occasion, as usual.

Barry

sweetcaroline - 9-20-2009 at 06:32 PM

This is my first post. Please let whomever is in charge know that Bill and Caroline Hanni are on their way down to Mulege with a load of supplies, food, etc. We're hoping to leave approx. Sept. 29th and arrive in 3 days God willing. Tell Saul and the tienda we've got help for him also. Thank you.

Cypress - 9-21-2009 at 12:49 PM

sweetcaroline, Have a safe trip Bill and Caroline Hanni. See Manuel at Don Chano's when you get down. Tell him Bobby wished him and his family luck. They're very good folks!!

capt. mike - 9-21-2009 at 01:17 PM

Note to Siri - can you post some of the pics you took of Loreto drops?
also requested on BBP by Diane.

sweetcaroline - 9-21-2009 at 02:18 PM

Thanks for the info Cypress. We've been going to Mulege since 1985 and feel it's our second home. Will pass along your wishes.

rpleger - 9-23-2009 at 09:21 AM

Hola guys.....I'm stuck in California at this time and can not be in Mulege....

Has anyone seen Patsy on the hill or Lilli Brown...

Haven't heard from them in a few days and wondered how they were getting along with the cleanup and I'm awaiting my orders to come on down...please

BBP Donations-Loreto Airport

Siri - 9-24-2009 at 08:35 PM

Sorry I've been MIA, but I flew back to Loreto to work with Bill Bassett (we both live in Loreto) helping the Baja Bush Pilots last weekend. I had flights back to the US this Tuesday, but found out that morning that BBP was doing one final big effort this weekend. So I changed my ticket and I'm still here in Loreto!

We had quite a few planes through Loreto last weekend (larger planes that couldn't land at Mulege), and we offloaded donations from two of them. BBP coordinated with Minera Boleo in Santa Rosalia to send 2 trucks down to pick up the donations (which included firefighter equipment for the Santa Rosalia Bomberos, I think donated from Victorville, CA Fire Dept). Everything arrived in Santa Rosalia Saturday afternoon, and the Chief of the Bombers called to express his gratitude to the donors, BBP and everyone along the chain. GRACIAS!

We had a Cessna 340 in today and offloaded, and are expecting another C340 and a Cherokee 6 tomorrow. Tenative plan with Jack and Claudia is to drive the donations up to Mulege. Other planes are landing at Constitucion strip with donations for Lopez Mateos (and I believe San Carlos) via Flying Samaritans.

On a related note, people from the National Off Road Racing Association picked up 6,000 bottles of water from San Diego and a bunch of bottles of Gatorade from Ensenada last weekend and (with a lot of work from NORRA to get customs clearance in Tecate) drove them down to Santa Rosalia and distributed in conjunction with BBP and Cruz Roja. NORRA has also promised to try and help with overland transport for donations that continue to be collected--thanks NORRA.

Unfortunately, my photos are high-res and I don't have my softward to re-size them with me. I tried to post one here but the page couldn't load. I will likely put the photos from last weekend and this coming weekend on a public site, like shutterfly, then post a link here on Nomads.

Thanks for everyone's donations, support and interest!

Siri

mulegemichael - 9-24-2009 at 09:11 PM

we just headed north from mulege this past monday after spending a week mucking out our place...what an adventure...talk is we wont have water at our place in the oasis from anywhere to a couple of weeks to a couple of months...we do have electricity but no phone yet..so no internet...the town is slowly putting itself back together; folks constantly sweeping the streets with face masks...constantly...the heat is off the charts; just wore us down over the period of a week...but the town is coming back..slowly..but a bunch of determined folks down there..lots of supplies arriving daily..the mosquitos are showing up in numbers and the bomberos are spraying regularly..gracias, francisco..we had to slather down every morning with deet before even leaving our room..will rest at our place up here for a few days then head back down with more supplies..wow...what an experience...for the third time

Beachgirl - 10-6-2009 at 06:53 AM

For you kids down there still cleaning up...well, sort of ongoing isn't it? Be sure to be careful about the mud/sewage bacteria getting up the old noses. I have not even had a cold for over twelve years, and by the time we had spent ten days cleaning up our house, then headed North, I got super sick, then mulegemichael did, and we are still getting over it. Pneumonia at this point. However, we are in great spirits and jammed to the gills with "stuff", pointing toward Mulege out of here Thursday early am. Can't wait to get out on the water. Those sunrises on the water are spectacular, and we miss our friends.
 Pages:  1  ..  12    14