BajaNomad

Jimena

Pages:  1  2    4  ..  14

HaciendaCerritos - 8-31-2009 at 07:19 AM

We are located on the Pacific Ocean just below Todos Santos.
Winds are basically non-existent right now. The waves are not large, but they are a little more forceful. 1 surfer in the water. Cloudy.

Now, here's a question: do you think this will survive the storm? It will be tied down shortly. It is the Palapa and bar area at the main pool. Edited to say: I just took this picture.

[Edited on 8-31-2009 by HaciendaCerritos]

David K - 8-31-2009 at 07:26 AM

Post a photo after the storm, same angle... Thanks and welcome to Nomad!

Russ - 8-31-2009 at 07:28 AM

What a beautiful place! A lot of those with only one support have pulled up and move a hundred feet or so and landed on their tops. Maybe tying it down will help. I guess it all depends on the winds. Good Luck!

the Palapa

Loretana - 8-31-2009 at 07:29 AM

Kathy,

I doubt that tying that palapa down will make a difference.
It will be airborne when Jimena hits.
I think that Roger will be more concerned about your well being than something replaceable.

Cuidate!

pacside - 8-31-2009 at 07:30 AM

Good Morning HaciendaCerritos,
I don't have an answer to your question but if it were easy enough I would try to take the palapa on the pole inside. Keep us updated and be safe. Thanks for info on 5/8 plywood. Husband just got up and he isn't sure what he can do at this point so not sure he will be flying down. Caretaker there may attempt to put up some plywood and he's moved everything out of the way....except of course the casa. :wow:
pacside

Edit: Very beautiful view you have and the owner is lucky to have someone as responsible as you there.

[Edited on 8-31-2009 by pacside]

ArroyoTaxi - 8-31-2009 at 07:33 AM

Wow - what a stunning hotel. Please keep us updated from your location and stay safe. Good luck.

HaciendaCerritos - 8-31-2009 at 07:39 AM

Thanks everyone, I'll keep an update going as long as this Telcel 3G stays available. We're watching the storm closely.

Loretena: You are 100% right, but I am concerned about the palapa and of course everything else, including the villas on the beach. We're pushing to get finished and then hurry-up and wait begins.

Good luck to all.

BajaGringo - 8-31-2009 at 08:17 AM

At 8:00 AM Pacific time, Jimena was officially upgraded from Hurricane Watch to Hurricane Warning status...

National Hurricane Center

DianaT - 8-31-2009 at 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by HaciendaCerritos
Thanks everyone, I'll keep an update going as long as this Telcel 3G stays available. We're watching the storm closely.

Loretena: You are 100% right, but I am concerned about the palapa and of course everything else, including the villas on the beach. We're pushing to get finished and then hurry-up and wait begins.

Good luck to all.

Do stay safe---far more important than photos or palapas, but I do understand your concern for the villas and palapas----I hope it all comes through just a little wind blown---no real damage.

shari - 8-31-2009 at 08:18 AM

wow...I want one of those! What we did with our 1 pole palapa is put a big fishing net over it and we ran lines over it and tied them onto BIG rocks to hold it down...but that was just a tropical storm...sorry but I doubt your after picture will look like this lovely one...just stay out of the way of the flying palapa is the best bet....good luck and hang on.
Thank you for your live report...we will all be staying tuned here.

DENNIS - 8-31-2009 at 08:23 AM

Not that it matters today but, when you rebuild your palapa, use nuts and bolts, keeping mind taking it down in these events.

JESSE - 8-31-2009 at 08:26 AM

Palapa is gone, along with the Palm trees.

Jimena Road Report

oldjack - 8-31-2009 at 08:38 AM

This chubasco is going to cause some damage that may influence Nomads' decisions on visiting soon after the event. Perhaps those of you with local knowledge and experience can give "man-on-the-street" reports as to the condition of the highway and access roads.

As always the arroyos and vados are probably going to be a mess... but your on-site reports may be very useful to Nomads planning imminent trips down the pennisula. I was going to head down to Los Barriles next Saturday... but will anxiously await the road reports.

Good luck to everyone and I really hope there is a good outcome to this event!!!!!

Sunman - 8-31-2009 at 08:44 AM

Agree OldJack, this would be helpful. Have plans to cross early Friday morning, however, except for a miracle I don't see this happening. Any reports very much appreciated though. Hang tough folks, sending good thoughts/karma your way.

DianaT - 8-31-2009 at 08:48 AM

Once Jimena hits, I hope this thread along with the other storm reports will be continually on the top---really important.

While we have arrangements to have our place boarded if Jimena hits, we will want to get down there as soon as possible after the storm.

Keeping positive thoughts for all.

Diane

Bob and Susan - 8-31-2009 at 08:53 AM

jesse..."no soup for you today"

BajaGringo - 8-31-2009 at 08:56 AM

The pool is probably going to get a bit dirty as well...

rocmoc - 8-31-2009 at 09:13 AM

Yeah really nice place! At their website, http://www.haciendacerritos.com/index.htm you can see the pool & palapa out on the point. Pretty exposed, can't imagine there will not be damage.

rocmoc n AZ/Mexico

shari - 8-31-2009 at 09:22 AM

we are with the Proteccion Civil squad and so will be in radio contact with the outside for road conditions and will report as long as their is power. It will be interesting to see how all the new bridges hold up...or not....and our brand new pavement....hmmm.

shari - 8-31-2009 at 09:28 AM

here is a photo to ponder...we have been printing and circulating it so folks understand they should be prepared!

jiimenasm.jpg - 36kB

oldlady - 8-31-2009 at 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
Not looking good this morning for anyone here on the peninsula. i wonder if it might be interesting to open a Chat starting tomorrow starring those who are living here who can do live reports...till the power goes out...since most of us will be checking in here alot....maybe we can organize our Jimena Pool there:biggrin:...what do you think?

How are things in the cape region this morning??

Shari, Think your idea of a chat is a good one. We are on generator since part of Centenario is still without power, I'd hang in with ya unless we decide to take the dish off the roof....being on the "dirty" side of a Cat 4 or 5 isn't my idea of a good time.

oldlady - 8-31-2009 at 09:55 AM

Unfortunately Jesse is right, based on forecastes winds. My concern would be protecting whatever I have time to, in the next 24, from the palapa and trees when they go.

shari - 8-31-2009 at 10:08 AM

thanks maam...i thought it might be the place for well wishers too...so we could maybe keep the threads clear for important updates etc....so I will open a Jimena chat room and moniter it when I am at the computer. Please dont underestimate the power of this storm and we should be prepared to help each other in any way we can....see you in chat amigos.

shari - 8-31-2009 at 10:42 AM

i tried to set up a Jimena chat room but it didnt work....so how about we just use the default chat room so it is easier for everyone...i will check in periodically but just to have the thing up and working for when things get tough...sometimes it's nice just to have someone there to talk to....hang in there, be safe and get out of harms way.

lingililingili - 8-31-2009 at 10:46 AM

Shari: Are twogringos still in Asuncion? Have not heard a peep from them.

vandenberg - 8-31-2009 at 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
Palapa is gone, along with the Palm trees.

Now that's what you call "an upbeat report":biggrin:

Cypress - 8-31-2009 at 10:57 AM

Nature has designed Palm trees round without limbs so they can withstand hurricane force winds. Palapas on the other hand are designed to be relatively easy to replace.

DENNIS - 8-31-2009 at 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Nature has designed Palm trees round without limbs so they can withstand hurricane force winds.

I think they might survive if not for the shallow root system. I believe most just tip over rather than break.

JESSE - 8-31-2009 at 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oldlady
Unfortunately Jesse is right, based on forecastes winds. My concern would be protecting whatever I have time to, in the next 24, from the palapa and trees when they go.

Palm trees are transplanted, so there isnt enough root system there to hold against Hurricane winds.

I am probably losing one or two 50 yr old trees myself, so i am not happy about it.

[Edited on 8-31-2009 by JESSE]

Cypress - 8-31-2009 at 11:10 AM

Yea, they don't have much of a root system, ought to be easy to get 'em upright and replanted.:)

monoloco - 8-31-2009 at 11:18 AM

Quote:
We are located on the Pacific Ocean just below Todos Santos.
Winds are basically non-existent right now. The waves are not large, but they are a little more forceful. 1 surfer in the water. Cloudy.

Now, here's a question: do you think this will survive the storm? It will be tied down shortly. It is the Palapa and bar area at the main pool. Edited to say: I just took this picture.

[Edited on 8-31-2009 by HaciendaCerritos]
I would be more worried about your rock retaining walls with minimal foundations holding back the thousands of tons of fill dirt you brought in. I just hope it doesn't wash down on to the Los Cerritos beach and foul the point.

USAF Hurricane Hunter info just in!!!!!

Hook - 8-31-2009 at 11:21 AM

...Hurricane hunters find Jimena stronger...

a Hurricane Warning is in effect for the southern portion of the
Baja California peninsula from Bahia Magdalena southward on the
West Coast...and from San Evaristo southward on the East Coast...
including Cabo San Lucas. A Hurricane Warning means that hurricane
conditions are expected somewhere within the warning area within 24
hours. Preparations to protect life and property should be rushed
to completion.

A Hurricane Watch is in effect for the Baja California peninsula
north of Bahia Magdalena on the West Coast to Punta Abreojos...and
north of San Evaristo to Mulege on the East Coast. A Hurricane
Watch means that hurricane conditions are possible within the watch
area...generally within 36 hours.

Interests elsewhere in the central Baja California peninsula and in
western Mainland Mexico should monitor the progress of Jimena.

For storm information specific to your area...please monitor
products issued by your National meteorological service.

At 1100 am PDT...1800 UTC...the center of Hurricane Jimena was
located by an Air Force Reserve huricane hunter aircraft near
latitude 18.1 north...longitude 108.9 west or about 340
miles...545 km...south of Cabo San Lucas Mexico.

Jimena is moving toward the northwest near 8 mph...13 km/hr...and a
turn toward the north-northwest with a gradual increase in forward
speed is expected over the next day or so. On the forecast
track...Jimena will be approaching the southern portion of the Baja
California peninsula on Tuesday.

Reports from the hurricane hunter aircraft indicate that the maximum
sustained winds are near 150 mph...240 km/hr...with higher
gusts. Jimena is an extremely dangerous category four hurricane on
the Saffir-Simpson scale. Some fluctuations in intensity are
possible during the next day or two.

Hurricane force winds extend outward up to 30 miles...45 km...from
the center...and tropical storm force winds extend outward up to 80
miles...130 km.

The minimum central pressure reported by the reconnaissance aircraft
is 936 mb...27.63 inches.

Jimena is expected to produce total rain accumulations of 5 to 10
inches over the southern half of the Baja California peninsula and
portions of western Mexico during the next 2 days...with possible
isolated maximum amounts of 15 inches.

A storm surge along with large and dangerous battering waves will
produce significant coastal flooding along the Baja California
peninsula.

...Summary of 1100 am PDT information...
location...18.1n 108.9w
maximum sustained winds...150 mph
present movement...northwest or 315 degrees at 8 mph
minimum central pressure...936 mb

the next advisory will be issued by the National
Hurricane Center at 200 PM PDT.

$$
Forecaster Pasch

vandenberg - 8-31-2009 at 11:27 AM

Thanks Hook.

arrowhead - 8-31-2009 at 12:03 PM

The 11AM hurricane track forecast was just updated. It could not be worse. They show Jimena crossing directly on top of Ciudad Constitucion, the strongest part of the storm (the northeast quadrant) hitting Mulege and the storm exiting over the Sea of Cortez right over Bay of LA.

No Worries

MrBillM - 8-31-2009 at 12:08 PM

We NEED the rain.

vandenberg - 8-31-2009 at 12:21 PM

from Jeff Masters, the principal blogger at wetherunderground:

Posted by: JeffMasters, 9:36 AM MDT on August 31, 2009

Hurricane warnings are in effect for the southern tip of Mexico's Baja Peninsula, where powerful Hurricane Jimena is expected to make landfall Tuesday night or Wednesday morning. The hurricane is in an environment with low wind shear, 5 - 10 knots, and warm Sea Surface Temperatures (SSTs), 30°C. Shear is expected to remain low, and SSTs will decline to 28°C with a corresponding decrease in total oceanic heat content between now and landfall, and these conditions should mean that Jimena will be a Category 3 or 4 hurricane at landfall. Outer rain-bands of the hurricane will be appearing on Los Cabos radar soon, though the Mexican Weather Service web site has been hard to reach today. The computer models are split, with one camp calling for a landfall in southern Baja, and the other camp calling for landfall farther north near central Baja. The official NHC forecast splits the difference between these two solutions, and landfall could occur anywhere along a long stretch of the Baja coast. At this point, the UKMET model's solution taking Jimena westward out to sea is being discounted, since it is an outlier.

Bajahowodd - 8-31-2009 at 01:07 PM

"calling for landfall farther north near central Baja."

When is the last time anyone could remember a hurricane coming in from the West and making landfall over central Baja?

GC - 8-31-2009 at 01:20 PM

Shari,

Are Fred and Angie from Punta Banda still in your area? They had been looking forward to camping there and hopefully have had a little time to check out the area before heading back north.

vandenberg - 8-31-2009 at 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
"calling for landfall farther north near central Baja."

When is the last time anyone could remember a hurricane coming in from the West and making landfall over central Baja?

Norbert last fall, made landfall just south of San Carlos.

Diver - 8-31-2009 at 02:16 PM

HURRICANE JIMENA DISCUSSION NUMBER 13
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL EP132009
200 PM PDT MON AUG 31 2009

THE AIR FORCE RESERVE HURRICANE HUNTERS HAVE JUST COMPLETED THEIR MISSION IN JIMENA...AND FOUND THAT THE HURRICANE WAS STRONGER THAN PREVIOUSLY ESTIMATED. THE CURRENT INTENSITY IS ADJUSTED UPWARD TO 135 KT...AT THE VERY HIGH END OF
CATEGORY 4 STATUS. ENVIRONMENTAL INFLUENCES SHOULD NOT PREVENT JIMENA FROM MAINTAINING MAJOR HURRICANE STRENGTH PRIOR TO LANDFALL.

Jimena.gif - 24kB

vandenberg - 8-31-2009 at 02:16 PM

It's a category #5 now?

cat 5 Jimena.gif - 36kB

Hook - 8-31-2009 at 02:21 PM

The NHC discussion terms it at the upper limits of Cat 4. Maybe the gusts put it over the top?

This thing is SOOO slow moving. Not good.

Cypress - 8-31-2009 at 02:32 PM

Something bad is heading towards Baja.:no:

Bajahowodd - 8-31-2009 at 02:33 PM

My understanding of the category rating is that is must be sustained winds to qualify. And they have predicted it will speed up forward progress.

jannyk - 8-31-2009 at 02:38 PM

<<The most powerful hurricane anywhere on the planet so far this year is Hurricane Jimena, according to data from this afternoon's hurricane hunter mission. Jimena's 155 mph winds beat out the South Pacific's Tropical Cyclone Hamish (150 mph winds) as the most powerful tropical cyclones so far this year. The Hurricane Hunters have completed their mission into Jimena, so we will have to rely on satellite estimates of Jimena's strength until Tuesday afternoon's hurricane hunter flight to see if the storm intensifies to the 160 mph threshold needed for it to become a Category 5 hurricane.

Jimena is expected to make landfall Tuesday night or Wednesday morning along the Mexico's Baja Peninsula. The hurricane is in an environment with low wind shear, 5 - 10 knots, and warm Sea Surface Temperatures (SSTs), 30°C. Shear is expected to remain low, and SSTs will decline to 28°C with a corresponding decree in total oceanic heat content between now and landfall, and these conditions should mean that Jimena will be a Category 3 or 4 hurricane at landfall. The computer models have come into better agreement with their latest 12Z runs, giving confidence that a landfall north of Cabo San Lucas will occur, and that town is now outside of the NHC cone of uncertainty. Cabo San Lucas has a 13% chance of receiving hurricane force winds, according to NHC's wind probability product. Serious flooding due to heavy rains will occur across all of the southern Baja Tuesday and Wednesday. Jimena is of similar intensity and is following a similar track to Hurricane Juliette of 2001, which brought 17.7" of rain to Cabo San Lucas. Juliette killed 7 people and caused $20 million in damage to Mexico, mostly due to flash flooding and mudslides from the heavy rains.

After Jimena makes initial landfall on Baja, it will cross over the Gulf of California and make landfall on Mainland Mexico. Depending upon how up along the coast this second landfall occurs, Arizona may receive moisture from Jimena late this week that will be capable of causing flooding rains.>>

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/show.html:o

ELINVESTIG8R - 8-31-2009 at 03:22 PM

Web Cam at Villa Del Arco in Cabo San Lucas.

http://www.cabovillas.com/campage.asp?id=1

LIVE from the CABO SURF HOTEL

http://www.allaboutcabo.com/cabocam.htm

[Edited on 8-31-2009 by ELINVESTI8]

oldjack - 8-31-2009 at 03:30 PM

Thanks for the webcams.... anyone know of webcams in the East Cape area...???????

Paulclark - 8-31-2009 at 03:32 PM

Castillo de Arena -- East Cape The rain started at 3:00 MST and we have had about 1/2 in so far. No wind---

danaeb - 8-31-2009 at 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ELINVESTI8
Web Cam at Villa Del Arco in Cabo San Lucas.

http://www.cabovillas.com/campage.asp?id=1

LIVE from the CABO SURF HOTEL

http://www.allaboutcabo.com/cabocam.htm

[Edited on 8-31-2009 by ELINVESTI8]

..and cabo azul
http://www.caboazulresort.com/CameraView.aspx

Bob and Susan - 8-31-2009 at 04:15 PM

and today at Playa Frambes...

of course tomorrow we're screwed:o:o

ttoday.jpg - 39kB

Bajahowodd - 8-31-2009 at 04:18 PM

Bob & Susan- It probably won't be pretty, and I'm sure you would rather be doing something else, but it really appears that with the exception of the loose furniture, you'll likely get by quite well.

Bajahowodd - 8-31-2009 at 04:24 PM

Here's my hope. I grew up on Long Island, just outside NYC. As a youngster, going to school. I can't tell you how many times, as night would fall, with predictions of an impending blizzard, snow would start to fall. I fell asleep with the abiding hope that the next morning there would be two feet of fresh snow and school would be cancelled. But alas, it seems that every next morning, the snow had turned to rain, with a couple of inches of slush on the ground and school was open. I'm really hoping that school is going to be open for all you guys down there when this is all said and done.:D

pacside - 8-31-2009 at 04:25 PM

bob and susan,
looks beautiful there today. your raised design just may qualify you for genius status after this one...hang tough. we're hosed i'm sure.
pacside

Bob and Susan - 8-31-2009 at 04:30 PM

actually today was really nice...
95 with a little breeze and CLEAR

of course the people in town are working hard
the stores were PACKED

they'll be empty of supplies tomorrow

everything here will go inside
we bbq'ed fish today that's why the bbq is still out

pictures later of all the damage
before....and AFTER!!!

Santiago - 8-31-2009 at 04:39 PM

"Te lo agradeceria mucho, pues lo voy a necesitar. Esta por caernos un huracan de nombre "Jimena" manana por la noche."

My builder sent me this today but I'm having a hard time understanding what he's trying to tell me about Jimena. Can someone make sense of this?
Thanks

DENNIS - 8-31-2009 at 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
Can someone make sense of this?
Thanks

Yeah...Your welcome.

Learn Spanish. Doncha think it's about time? If this event doesnt make it clear for you, nothing will.

Pescador - 8-31-2009 at 04:47 PM

I want to thank you much, and I am going to need it. The hurricane "Jimena" is due to fall tomorrow in the night.

shari - 8-31-2009 at 04:52 PM

I bet he was asking for money...and he will need it...so send it. We went to the bank today too cause it may not be accessable later....and everyone needs extra cash to stock up for the aftershock when supplies run out.

Osprey - 8-31-2009 at 04:58 PM

Most of the time I love all the modern communication possibilities but right now my head hurts with all the posts and my 21 Favorites under "Weather" on the computer to let me know how many ways I might die in the next 40 hours or so. While I was piling more and more patio stuff up on the bodega I found 2 bottles of Oso Negro "Storm A Way" gin.

I think I'll be fine now. Or not. Ni modo.

DENNIS - 8-31-2009 at 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
Most of the time I love all the modern communication possibilities but right now my head hurts with all the posts and my 21 Favorites under "Weather" on the computer to let me know how many ways I might die in the next 40 hours or so. While I was piling more and more patio stuff up on the bodega I found 2 bottles of Oso Negro "Storm A Way" gin.

Tie yourself to the tree, Jorge. The biggest tree.
When it's over, write a story. Only then will all this mayhem make sense.

Cypress - 8-31-2009 at 05:12 PM

On the downwind side of the tree.

HaciendaCerritos - 8-31-2009 at 05:13 PM

Just a little update from Los Cerritos. Little to no wind, light rain, 5 surfers in the water. no surge noticed yet. eerily quiet.

Cardon Man - 8-31-2009 at 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
While I was piling more and more patio stuff up on the bodega I found 2 bottles of Oso Negro "Storm A Way" gin.

I found some Whiskey. I feel better all ready. :spingrin:

Cypress - 8-31-2009 at 05:20 PM

Might want to save it for after the storm.:lol:

Cardon Man - 8-31-2009 at 05:56 PM

Got that covered too!:cool:

Iflyfish - 8-31-2009 at 06:33 PM

Hunker down amigos!!

Iflyfish

Bajaboy - 8-31-2009 at 06:47 PM

Send some of that rain to Alta California to put out all the fires!!!!

arrowhead - 8-31-2009 at 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
I want to thank you much, and I am going to need it. The hurricane "Jimena" is due to fall tomorrow in the night.

He's using the future tense. "Te lo agradeceria mucho, pues lo voy a necesitar. Esta por caernos un huracan de nombre "Jimena" manana por la noche."

I'll thank you very much, as we are going to need it. Hurricane Jimena is going to hit us tomorrow night.

BajaWarrior - 8-31-2009 at 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
Can someone make sense of this?
Thanks

Yeah...Your welcome.

Learn Spanish. Doncha think it's about time? If this event doesnt make it clear for you, nothing will.

WOW!!

arrowhead - 8-31-2009 at 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS

Santiago, just ignore Dennis. The more stars he gets, the crankier he gets.

But if you are still in that house by the arroyo in the picture you posted a couple of weeks ago, it is time for you to "vamoose".

How's that for a Spanish lesson? :lol:

JESSE - 8-31-2009 at 07:14 PM

It rained in La Paz this afternoon for about 30 minutes. It was the strongest rain i have ever seen in my life. Totally overwhelmed the sewer system and my system is pretty big, it almost flooded the house. Street was a mess. The last time i saw the streets like that it took several hours of steady rain.

I am more worried about the rain than the wind.

Sharksbaja - 8-31-2009 at 07:14 PM

Ditto in Mulege! (to Arrowheads' post)

[Edited on 9-1-2009 by Sharksbaja]

aldosalato - 8-31-2009 at 08:09 PM

The afternoon rain in La Paz has been more a thunderstorm (with a few thunders in the distance) )than the hurricane itself. Hurricane rain with cloud bands and wind should start only in the morning. Let's hope it does not stall in front of Todos Santos like Juliette in 2001. That was 3 days of heavy rain with a total of 450 mm in La Paz and 650 in Los Cabos area.

shari - 8-31-2009 at 08:12 PM

We have some big very scary looking clouds coming....but i didnt see them on the satellite...whoa...freaky.

Just a reminder...we have had some interesting chats today in the chat default room. It was neat to hear from people on site in the cape area...we'll do it again tomorrow...it will be interesting for sure.

We have been securing houses for the worst here and stocking up on water, gas, candles, beer and food...just in case.

JESSE - 8-31-2009 at 08:13 PM

:lol:

JESSE - 8-31-2009 at 08:17 PM

Quote:
Just a little update from Los Cerritos. Little to no wind, light rain, 5 surfers in the water. no surge noticed yet. eerily quiet.

The calm before the storm.

Creo lo mismo de Sr. Jesse.

Mulegena - 8-31-2009 at 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by JESSE
I am more worried about the rain than the wind.

Its the water in Mulege because of the arroyos to the west of the rivervalley.

My house has numerous huge windows, gobs of glass.

All windows were completely shattered by floodwaters of H. John, aluminum frames ripped from the walls of the house from the force of water as it exited the house as the flood receeded-- the damage was done from the inside out by the water pressure!! There was also about a foot of mud inside the house-- all this because I closed the house tight.

T.S. Julio I opened all the windows and some screens, tied open doors that would shut by water pressure. No broken glass, no torn screens and only 3 inches of mud.
I figured that since I couldn't stop the river from coming in, well why fight it? Like an unwanted houseguest I made it as easy to leave as it was to get in.

This time there may be more rain than in John and more direct wind damage, but... here we go!

JESSE - 8-31-2009 at 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
We have some big very scary looking clouds coming....but i didnt see them on the satellite...whoa...freaky.

Just a reminder...we have had some interesting chats today in the chat default room. It was neat to hear from people on site in the cape area...we'll do it again tomorrow...it will be interesting for sure.

We have been securing houses for the worst here and stocking up on water, gas, candles, beer and food...just in case.

Be safe shari.

DianaT - 8-31-2009 at 08:23 PM

The 8 PDT report seems to show Jimena turning a little more to the east---maybe, but the Hurricane Watch area has been extended further north on both coasts.

It does seem to be not quite as strong, but still VERY dangerous---155 down to 135 mph winds.

While we are glad we have the wood ready and arrangements made, we are more worried about all the people.

Stay safe everyone

shari - 8-31-2009 at 08:27 PM

whew...I'm not crazy...I just found those clouds coming in here on another satellite...I didnt expect them till tomorrow....they are very black and have long fingers...no moon tonight I guess. It will be cloudy tomorrow too looks like....such a huge monstress system.

best of luck everyone.

jmenamonday night.jpg - 7kB

JESSE - 8-31-2009 at 08:30 PM

One thing is certain, the guys at Princeton and their GFDL model are the best.

Diver - 8-31-2009 at 08:30 PM

Here's the most recent;

Jimena.gif - 24kB

Diver - 8-31-2009 at 08:38 PM

Some of these models are scary !
Batten the hatches !!

Jimena.gif - 32kB

Bajagypsy - 8-31-2009 at 08:38 PM

Here is hoping that everyone is still fine when I log on in the morning. Thinking of all my Baja friends as well as all my Bajanomad friends, stay safe!

Ken Bondy - 8-31-2009 at 08:43 PM

Buena suerte amigos.

rbwrivers - 8-31-2009 at 08:49 PM

Stay safe everyone!!!!

dccf - 8-31-2009 at 09:14 PM

Our prayers are with you.

ayeman - 8-31-2009 at 09:24 PM

via con dios mi amigos to all on the east cape

lizard lips - 8-31-2009 at 09:40 PM

I was in Cabo when Juliette hit and that was a mess. The bridge washed out and couldn't make it to the airport but a makeshift bridge was constructed in a matter of a few days. The stores also raised their prices for just about everything. I hope all of you down there stay safe and are prepared! Good luck......

Sharrone - 8-31-2009 at 10:07 PM

Good luck everyone down there. Stay safe.

BajaNews - 8-31-2009 at 11:12 PM

HURRICANE JIMENA INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY NUMBER 14A
1100 PM PDT MON AUG 31 2009

...EXTREMELY DANGEROUS HURRICANE JIMENA CONTINUES NORTHWESTWARD...

A HURRICANE WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE SOUTHERN PORTION OF
THE BAJA CALIFORNIA PENINSULA FROM BAHIA MAGDALENA SOUTHWARD ON THE
WEST COAST...AND FROM SAN EVARISTO SOUTHWARD ON THE EAST COAST...
INCLUDING CABO SAN LUCAS. A HURRICANE WARNING MEANS THAT HURRICANE
CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED SOMEWHERE WITHIN THE WARNING AREA WITHIN 24
HOURS. PREPARATIONS TO PROTECT LIFE AND PROPERTY SHOULD BE RUSHED
TO COMPLETION.

A HURRICANE WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR THE BAJA CALIFORNIA PENINSULA
NORTH OF BAHIA MAGDALENA ON THE WEST COAST TO PUNTA EUGENIA...AND
NORTH OF SAN EVARISTO ON THE EAST COAST TO BAHIA SAN JUAN BAUTISTA.
A HURRICANE WATCH MEANS THAT HURRICANE CONDITIONS ARE POSSIBLE
WITHIN THE WATCH AREA...GENERALLY WITHIN 36 HOURS.

A TROPICAL STORM WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR THE WEST COAST OF MAINLAND
MEXICO FROM ALTATA TO HUATABAMPITO. A TROPICAL STORM WATCH MEANS
THAT TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS ARE POSSIBLE WITHIN THE WATCH
AREA...GENERALLY WITHIN 36 HOURS.

INTERESTS ELSEWHERE IN THE BAJA CALIFORNIA PENINSULA AND IN
WESTERN MAINLAND MEXICO SHOULD MONITOR THE PROGRESS OF JIMENA.

FOR STORM INFORMATION SPECIFIC TO YOUR AREA...PLEASE MONITOR
PRODUCTS ISSUED BY YOUR NATIONAL METEOROLOGICAL SERVICE.

AT 1100 PM PDT...0600 UTC...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE JIMENA WAS
LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 19.8 NORTH...LONGITUDE 109.9 WEST OR ABOUT 215
MILES...345 KM...SOUTH OF CABO SAN LUCAS MEXICO AND ABOUT 380 MILES
...610 KM...SOUTH-SOUTHEAST OF CABO SAN LAZARO MEXICO.

JIMENA IS MOVING TOWARD THE NORTHWEST NEAR 10 MPH...17 KM/HR. A
TURN TOWARD THE NORTH-NORTHWEST WITH A GRADUAL INCREASE IN FORWARD
SPEED IS EXPECTED OVER THE NEXT 24 TO 36 HOURS. ON THE FORECAST
TRACK...JIMENA WILL BE APPROACHING THE SOUTHERN PORTION OF THE BAJA
CALIFORNIA PENINSULA ON TUESDAY.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 155 MPH...250 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER
GUSTS. JIMENA IS AN EXTREMELY DANGEROUS CATEGORY FOUR HURRICANE ON
THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON SCALE...AND VERY NEAR THE THRESHOLD OF CATEGORY
FIVE STATUS. SOME FLUCTUATIONS IN STRENGTH ARE LIKELY DURING THE
NEXT DAY OR SO...BUT JIMENA IS EXPECTED TO REMAIN A MAJOR HURRICANE
UNTIL LANDFALL.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 45 MILES...75 KM...FROM
THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 140
MILES...220 KM. AN AUTOMATED STATION ON SOCORRO ISLAND...LOCATED
ABOUT 100 MILES...160 KM...SOUTHWEST OF JIMENA...HAS REPORTED
SUSTAINED TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS FOR THE PAST SEVERAL HOURS.

THE ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 931 MB...27.49 INCHES.

JIMENA IS EXPECTED TO PRODUCE TOTAL RAIN ACCUMULATIONS OF 5 TO 10
INCHES OVER THE SOUTHERN HALF OF THE BAJA CALIFORNIA PENINSULA AND
PORTIONS OF WESTERN MEXICO DURING THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS...WITH
POSSIBLE ISOLATED MAXIMUM AMOUNTS OF 15 INCHES.

A DANGEROUS STORM SURGE ALONG WITH BATTERING WAVES WILL PRODUCE
SIGNIFICANT COASTAL FLOODING ALONG THE BAJA CALIFORNIA PENINSULA.

...SUMMARY OF 1100 PM PDT INFORMATION...
LOCATION...19.8N 109.9W
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...155 MPH
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NORTHWEST OR 325 DEGREES AT 10 MPH
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...931 MB

THE NEXT ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER AT
200 AM PDT.

BajaNews - 8-31-2009 at 11:22 PM

HURRICANE JIMENA DISCUSSION NUMBER 14
800 PM PDT MON AUG 31 2009

SINCE THE DEPARTURE OF THE HURRICANE HUNTER AIRCRAFT THIS
AFTERNOON...THE SATELLITE PRESENTATION OF JIMENA HAS REMAINED
IMPRESSIVE...WITH A SMALL EYE EMBEDDED WITHIN VERY COLD CLOUD TOPS
IN A LARGE CDO. DVORAK CI-NUMBERS AT 0000 UTC WERE 6.5 FROM TAFB AND
6.0 FROM SAB AND THE ADT HAS BEEN SHOWING T-NUMBERS OF 6.5 FOR THE
LAST SEVERAL HOURS. BASED ON THE CONTINUED IMPRESSIVE SATELLITE
APPEARANCE...THE INITIAL INTENSITY IS HELD AT 135 KT FOR THIS
ADVISORY...BUT IT IS POSSIBLE THAT JIMENA COULD HAVE REACHED
CATEGORY 5 STATUS EARLIER TODAY. THE INTENSITY FORECAST IS HELD
STEADY FOR 12 HOURS...AND THEN A SLOW WEAKENING TREND IS INDICATED
AS JIMENA WILL BE MOVING OVER LOWER OCEAN HEAT CONTENT AS THE
CYCLONE APPROACHES THE BAJA PENINSULA. HOWEVER...JIMENA IS EXPECTED
TO REMAIN A MAJOR HURRICANE UNTIL LANDFALL. MORE SUBSTANTIAL
WEAKENING IS EXPECTED AS JIMENA INTERACTS WITH THE BAJA
PENINSULA...AND THE INTENSITY FORECAST LATE IN THE PERIOD ASSUMES
THAT JIMENA WILL STILL BE A TROPICAL CYCLONE WHEN IT EMERGES INTO
THE GULF OF CALIFORNIA IN ABOUT 3 DAYS.

THE INITIAL MOTION ESTIMATE IS 320/08. THE TRACK FORECAST
PHILOSOPHY REMAINS UNCHANGED...AS JIMENA IS BEING STEERED BY A MID-
TO UPPER-LEVEL LOW WEST OF THE BAJA PENINSULA AND THE SUBTROPICAL
RIDGE CENTERED OVER NORTHWESTERN MEXICO. THE TRACK MODEL GUIDANCE
IS IN GOOD AGREEMENT ON TURNING JIMENA TOWARD THE NORTH-NORTHWEST
AND THEN TOWARD THE NORTH AS IT APPROACHES THE BAJA PENINSULA. THE
OFFICIAL FORECAST IS CLOSE TO THE MULTI-MODEL CONSENSUS TVCN...AND
IS SLIGHTLY TO THE RIGHT OF THE PREVIOUS PACKAGE THROUGH 36 HOURS.
BEYOND THAT TIME...THE NEW FORECAST IS SIMPLY AN UPDATE OF THE
PREVIOUS ONE.

IT IS NOW NECESSARY TO EXTEND HURRICANE WATCHES FARTHER NORTH ALONG
BOTH COASTS OF THE BAJA PENINSULA...AND TO ISSUE A TROPICAL STORM
WATCH FOR A PORTION OF THE WEST COAST OF MAINLAND MEXICO.
ADDITIONAL WATCHES AND WARNINGS MAY BE REQUIRED OVERNIGHT OR ON
TUESDAY.

INTERESTS IN THE HURRICANE WARNING AREA ARE ADVISED THAT
STRONG WINDS WILL PRECEDE THE ARRIVAL OF THE CENTER BY SEVERAL
HOURS...SO PREPARATIONS NEED TO BE COMPLETED AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
REMEMBER NOT TO FOCUS ON THE EXACT FORECAST TRACK...SINCE DANGEROUS
IMPACTS WILL EXTEND SOME DISTANCE FROM THE CENTER REGARDLESS OF THE
LANDFALL LOCATION.

FORECAST POSITIONS AND MAX WINDS

INITIAL 01/0300Z 19.4N 109.6W 135 KT
12HR VT 01/1200Z 20.7N 110.4W 135 KT
24HR VT 02/0000Z 22.5N 111.2W 125 KT
36HR VT 02/1200Z 24.5N 111.9W 110 KT
48HR VT 03/0000Z 26.1N 112.4W 75 KT
72HR VT 04/0000Z 28.2N 112.8W 50 KT...INLAND
96HR VT 05/0000Z 30.0N 113.0W 50 KT...OVER WATER
120HR VT 06/0000Z 31.5N 112.5W 30 KT...INLAND

redhilltown - 8-31-2009 at 11:28 PM

One more "good luck" to all of you down there can't hurt soooooo...good luck everyone and stay safe!

BajaNews - 8-31-2009 at 11:38 PM

3-day forecast, as of 11pm Pacific Time.

090831-11pm-hurricane-jimena.gif - 17kB

MarkR. - 8-31-2009 at 11:55 PM

sí, buena suerte amigos

Lisa and I have you in our thoughts

Yikes!

Sharksbaja - 9-1-2009 at 12:39 AM

The storm surge will most likely be a Pacific Ocean event but they don't really delineate.

Here's the lastest @ stormpulse:

Please take precautions.

[Edited on 9-1-2009 by Sharksbaja]

Sharksbaja - 9-1-2009 at 12:43 AM

Looks to me the eye is south of where the graphic places it by a 100 miles?

bill erhardt - 9-1-2009 at 01:02 AM

Black clouds ahead over Insurgentes Saturday afternoon, and dust clouds whipped up by gusts of wind in a by-pass around a bridge under construction over a vado between Puerto Lopez Mateos and Insurgentes. Thunderheads have been releasing periodic downpours in the area for the past couple of days in advance of Jimenez. Yesterday, Monday, in the calm before the storm wahoo were on the bite outside Mag Bay on Thetis Bank. I ran the still calm boca at daybreak and had five hoos in the boat before 10:00 a.m. Then, back to Loreto to button down.

jimena.JPG - 28kB

JESSE - 9-1-2009 at 01:06 AM

Thats an impressive photo, very nice.

bill erhardt - 9-1-2009 at 01:15 AM

Wind and rain in Insurgentes Saturday

jimenez.JPG - 48kB

Pages:  1  2    4  ..  14