BajaNomad

MULEGE TODAY- Monday 9/7

CasaManzana - 9-7-2009 at 03:06 PM

Every main street looked like this, and the army guys were everywhere both direction traffic and shoveling-

And if it wasn't shovels at work, than big equipment was going at it-

Of the four r/o water stores, two were severly damaged, but today none were open. The fire department had a mobile r/o machine offering water at no cost however.

By my count, at lease five generators were humming around town-

A BigWig from the HeadShead of BCS called a town meeting to inform all the folks along the icehouse road that they were going to have to relocate. Low cost housing has been promised to them (information here came from a local resident named Paco...the guy who was the beach manager at Posada for eleven years)...

One wonders if The Orchard will rebound-

Two tiendas- Pinguini and the one behind the firehouse are open but for canned goods only. I saw folks using their cell phones. As the big microwave tower south of town has snapped off, I guess it is not needed for cell phones. The highway Pemex is business as usual-as is the tortilleria in town. Yee's construction supply store says big orders of roofing and repair needs are on the way down from Ensenada.
(disclaimer- no spellcheck was harmed in this posting)

Bob H - 9-7-2009 at 03:26 PM

WOW! The Orchard took a huge hit!
Bob H

mulegemichael - 9-7-2009 at 03:31 PM

oh boy, oh boy...those poor folks...let's git em some help!

Bajahowodd - 9-7-2009 at 03:35 PM

Thanks for the update photos. The thought has crossed my mind more than once, although so many positive things have been said about Baja and its people, I really cannot think of a town anywhere (no offense to the others) where a spirit of community exists as it does in Mulege. And that goes for the "foreigners" as well. I'm guessing they (gringos, Etc.) are their because they can actually feel that spirit.

mulegemichael - 9-7-2009 at 04:36 PM

we're there baby!...

Donation Party

Destiny - 9-7-2009 at 05:04 PM

Hey everyone, since we can't make it down until fire season is over, we have talked to one of the local pubs and are going to be holding a friends of Mulege donation night. Thought that perhaps others could organize similar functions. They need all the help they can get:) At least, from the looks of things, the spirit of Mulege still exists, after all, that is what we all have come to love.

baja Steve - 9-8-2009 at 04:57 AM

I recieced this eamil today and thought it might be of help.
Hi Everyone,
David left this morning to fly down to Loreto. He's flying in a Baja Bush Pilot private plane with 500 lbs of food and supplies for Mulege. The road from Loreto to Mulege is now reported to be open. Because the Mulege Airstrip is in bad shape and not usable, they need to land in Loreto. From the photos and reports Mulege sounds bad, but as always the resilient people of Mulege seem to be pulling together and things are improving.

My hope upon arrival is to set up a distribution system for the relief effort through the Mulege Fire Department - if they are able and willing. They did such a great job distributing the food and supplies that many of you donated last time. They were able to get the items to many of those that needed it most after Hurricane John and I am hoping to help coordinate this again. Unfortunately many of the fire department volunteers homes were affected and I do not yet know how much help will be available. If we can get an effective and fair distribution method set up, and a safe landing zone established, the Baja Bush Pilots have 12 planes and two helicopters ready to make drops.

I also understand that the computer systems in the Mulege schools that our Santa Cruz Community donated over the last 5 years have been washed out. We are asking everyone to help out again. If you all can help put the word out and bring down working Pentium II computers (or newer) for the schools and if we have any left over, the local Internet businesses that were also wiped out need them. The largest change I have seen with these children, more than anything else that we have done, is the computer systems that we were able to help set up. Just one example was after 1 year after we installed 10 computers at the Mulege boarding school on Ice House Road, these kids were typing, doing their homework on line, and the kids were repairing the computers themselves. The Mexican government has a good online scholastic system set up, for many of the schools in Baja most of what is needed to access this system is these schools are computers and routers. I am not sure yet if I will be able to spear head the computer deliveries and set up, but I know this is a need. If there's someone who can take charge of this - please step forward. It's well worth your efforts and when you see the kids - the smiles make all the hard work feel like it was nothing!

David plans on communicating with me and we'll update you with other needs. For now - just know many people have lost their homes and belongings. Please bring down what you can when you can and I will pass on the info I gather to help you determine what to do with it all.

Hope everyone is going well, thank you all for your prayers and support. David and DeDe
Email is dede@aquasafaris.com

KAT54 - 9-8-2009 at 05:18 AM

OH my god...
I think i'm going to agree with "arrowhead"
This guy is flying down $1000 in gas for the plane
500 pounds of stuff NOT all food
That is NOTHING
What is he planing on drinking?
NO water in mulege
Water weighs 8 pounds a gallon
That is 40 pounds a day
What is he eating?
Very little food in mulege for tourists
Where is he staying?
NO hotel rooms available
Sleeping in the car?
What about gas?
Using the little gas that is available for residents?
Why not just donate the money $$$
Or rent a truck and drive 4000 pounds of food and supplies down
This is just an american looking for news exposure for his business
What a waste

baja Steve - 9-8-2009 at 08:55 AM

David and Dede lived in Mulege for a long time he also has a house there. they as a couple have done an incrediable amount of work for the poeple in the Mulege area in good and bad times. Kat54 should try to do some good other than COMPLAIN

Bajahowodd - 9-8-2009 at 09:52 AM

Picking up on what KAT54 said- I know this isn't the first relief effort (unfortunately), but just had to wonder, what with several trucking companies that make regular runs all the way to Cabo, (Columbia Export in Otay, comes to mind), is there a possibility that coordination could be made and perhaps the truckers might donate the run, or deeply discount it???

Relief Help

Aljorie - 9-8-2009 at 10:22 AM

Would anyone who has the correct information,when it happens,please let the forum know when the Hwy. is open?We plan on bvringing supplies down ASAP,but don;t want to be stuck halfway down without any options to continue. Planning on heading to
Mulege.
Thank you

shari - 9-8-2009 at 10:25 AM

highway has been open for a few days now...some detours but passable.

EngineerMike - 9-8-2009 at 10:43 AM

Soulpatch & Howodd-

It is easy to understand the complainers if you know the code.

The following situation plays out daily in America as we speak:
Two brothers argue over what to do about mom, now that she is losing her marbles. Bother A says, "I'll pack up her stuff & she can live w/me." Brother B protests, "You can't do that. You'll be giving up your freedom, your time, and all. Lets split the cost of a care home."

Complaining that the cost to A is too high is really code, meaning, "You will be doing a lot of work, and I won't."

Now re-read the whining. You'll see many creative arguments why you and I shouldn't lend a hand, spending our own time & money. Decode it and voila!

Cypress - 9-8-2009 at 11:23 AM

Everybody wants to do something to help. The folks in MULEGE are doing all they can to get their community back together. The Mexican govt. at all levels are 24/7 on it. Sometimes it's better to keep clear and wait till things settle down before jumping in. They'll let you know what they need and when they need it. Otherwise, you just get in the way. Hope these thoughts aren't considered negative or place me in the "troll" catagory.

Cypress - 9-8-2009 at 11:26 AM

Everybody wants to do something to help. The folks in MULEGE are doing all they can to get their community back together. The Mexican govt. at all levels are 24/7 on it. Sometimes it's better to keep clear and wait till things settle down before jumping in. They'll let you know what they need and when they need it. Otherwise, you just get in the way. Hope these thoughts aren't considered negative or place me in the "troll" catagory.

DENNIS - 9-8-2009 at 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Everybody wants to do something to help.

Good. That's what they should do. Help. I'm wondering if all this nonsense would be happening if it were taken to U2U where there is no audience.
If this were war, there's a lot of people here I wouldn't want in my foxhole.
OK folks? This isn't about you. It's about people who need you. Try to remember that.

toneart - 9-8-2009 at 12:23 PM

Quote:

This is a very good post, Cypress! It is way too soon for we who are not there to get any kind of a clear picture of reality on the ground. The message from there, though, is stay away! There are not enough resources for those who live there and are there now. Besides, you cannot clean up your own houses without water. That's a long way away yet. Oh, and I would add, stop driving around town, wasting gasoline, clogging the narrow streets and getting in the way.

I would, however, make an exception for Engineer Mike. He puts his burro on the line. He has had prior experience with flood relief. He is already involved in the community. He is set up to receive donations and he is well connected with the locals so as to know exactly how to distribute the funds and material goods. THEY will tell him their needs. He will hit and run. He will return in multiple trips with a capacity to carry a volume of necessary items. He has a plan and he is rolling!!!

:yes:

Cypress - 9-8-2009 at 01:43 PM

toneart, Thanks,

rpleger - 9-8-2009 at 01:48 PM

toneart, Cypress....

Thanks guys and everyone who are helping...I'm stuck up in Oregon and soon to be in So. Cal....I'm not coming down until Patsy sends me a list of things to bring down and a reason to be there...I'll see everyone in Oct.

Thanks again to all the helpers

captain4tuna - 9-8-2009 at 01:57 PM

Ditto to that. We were just going to jump in our truck and head down with supplies but after heavy deliberation and posts such as these, we decided not to infringe upon the local resources that are so sparce already. We will donate from here for now and head down later when we can actually do some good.
Hoorah to you Engineermike for your well coordinated efforts. Mexrick, hoorah to you too. This is not to leave out everyone else, please do not miunderstand me. I just think we should stay out of the way. We spoke to Jorge Yee today and it is muy malo. Unless absolute self sufficiency can be maintained for awhile....
Any news from Gary in San Ignacio Springs? We're reading conflicting reports. Haven't from Terry for a couple of days, does anyone know if she's still in BC?

mtgoat666 - 9-8-2009 at 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by KAT54
OH my god...
I think i'm going to agree with "arrowhead"
This guy is flying down $1000 in gas for the plane
500 pounds of stuff NOT all food
That is NOTHING
What is he planing on drinking?
NO water in mulege
Water weighs 8 pounds a gallon
That is 40 pounds a day
What is he eating?
Very little food in mulege for tourists
Where is he staying?
NO hotel rooms available
Sleeping in the car?
What about gas?
Using the little gas that is available for residents?
Why not just donate the money $$$
Or rent a truck and drive 4000 pounds of food and supplies down
This is just an american looking for news exposure for his business
What a waste

it's all about getting biggest bang for your buck. when donating to charities, donate to the ones that have lowest operating expenses and highest spending on intended recipient.

i tend to agree that the little personal planes make a good show but can carry little weight so effectively provide expensive assistance. the price of fueling and operating a small plane would pay for several heavy truck loads. perhaps pilots should consider staying home and donating fuel money to buying and shipping materials by truck, unless their flying really has effective economical assistance.
trucks can get there in 24 hours.

Skeet/Loreto - 9-8-2009 at 03:41 PM

It is not about getting the biggest Bang for your Buck!!

It is about "People helping people in time of need""

That includes a Pilot who flys down in his little Cessna 172 and delivers what he can and Then---- Helps people clean up their homes, buys them some Groceries, shows them that , Yes, We are Americanos and we beleive in helping our Friends.

Oh! You Materlistic People! When are you going to learn that a "Hug" a Kind handshake. a helping hand is what people need in a time of distress????

Comon down, all of you in your Little Planes and Kind hearts, meet some People, give them a Hug and let them know that you can be "Amigos". Does both of your Hearts Good!!

Skeet

Bajahowodd - 9-8-2009 at 03:52 PM

And those pilots better have return fuel and not expect to stay overnight. From what I've heard, functional local accomodations are full up.

captain4tuna - 9-8-2009 at 04:07 PM

The point should be that if you can maintain total self sufficiency so as not to take away from the sparce resources of the lovely muleginos, than by all means going down and lending that helping hand, giving that hug and letting them know that our hearts and pockets are there for them in this devastating time is what we should do.

toneart - 9-8-2009 at 04:09 PM

Well, this is what we were fearing...where's the humanity? I just received this email:

"<Names redacted by toneart>have been stuck at the US border at San Diego for over 2 hours. They needed a manifest, including placing value on all the equipment- wheelbarrows, shovels, power-washer, clothing for the people of Mulege, food to donate, etc. Even though they told the customs agent they were on a humanitarian mission, it was useless. They were first turned back to the US, then made to re-enter. They are paying a fee for the value of all items listed on the manifest."

(unquote) Hopefully organizations can do some official negotiations for their own efforts. I wouldn't know where they would start, but maybe they would.

I posted this in the Hurricane Relief Supplies string too.

LancairDriver - 9-8-2009 at 04:16 PM

The pilots offered to help when it was initially thought that the roads were gone and assistance by air made the most sense. Information has since shown that the road situation was not as bad as first thought and the damage was quickly bypassed. No pilot I know of would waste time and money on unnecessary effort, and would agree if the roads are passable that a truck is the way to go. The value of aircraft help was very apparent after H. John, but there was a much better preparation this time by the locals.
As to throwing money at the situation- wait until it starts to dry out and more information comes in before throwing money at the problem. The experience in the US of citizens over- reacting after 9/11 and dishing out millions with no questions asked, resulted in some of the most blatant corruption. Don't let your knee jerk emotions take over and do a careful evaluation before reacting. This is not to say immediate help isn't needed by the locals, but a much clearer picture will soon emerge as to how much and where.

Bajahowodd - 9-8-2009 at 04:24 PM

Ditto on that.

DENNIS - 9-8-2009 at 04:35 PM

Altruism needs guidance and structure. This effort is turning into chaos for the lack of that.
Nobody can take control of a mob scene. That's what this is turning into.

KAT54 - 9-8-2009 at 04:39 PM

LancairDriver is correct
The people flying down now are just eating the little food
Drinking the little water
Taking up space
Muching on others for a place to sleep
They should stay home
A hug?
Do you really think these victims need a hug from a rico american?
Get real

baja Steve - 9-8-2009 at 04:48 PM

David is also the person that got the fire trucks and did the training for the Mulege fire dept. he is also an emt and works very closely with the hospital.

LancairDriver

Posada-BushPilot - 9-8-2009 at 04:48 PM

Yup, I tend to agree with you. In the case of the funds donated thru Rotary: After we have helped all those in real need AND we have money leftover, I don't really think we will have trouble finding important ways to help with needs not related to Jimena. I can site other projects/needs in Mulege on request. I would have a moral issue with using funds that folks gave for purposes other than what they were intended. I guess I would notify everyone that we have excess funds and if anyone objects.....refund their money.
Frankly, I don't foresee that this will be an issue given how grim the situation.

LancairDriver - 9-8-2009 at 04:54 PM

Quote:
LancairDriver is correct
The people flying down now are just eating the little food
Drinking the little water
Taking up space
Muching on others for a place to sleep
They should stay home
A hug?
Do you really think these victims need a hug from a rico american?
Get real

I'm sure the pilots who have flown down with food, water, and other needed goods have not hung around to sleep in a hot room somewhere or consumed any of the food or water they brought down for the locals. In a matter of a few hours they are back in the USA after dropping off their needed goods, and haven't ventured beyond the airport where they landed. As for fuel, most can do the round trip with fuel from the US. I would not expect to hear of any of them being anything but an asset to the relief effort.

KAT54 - 9-8-2009 at 05:01 PM

baja Steve...
So did David go right home?
I think not
Land in Loreto
Rent a car
Hand out food in town
Take pictures for his local newspaper
No time today to fly home today
He is probably taking up space in Mulege
And eating
And drinking the water

DENNIS - 9-8-2009 at 05:04 PM

Quote:
baja Steve...
So did David go right home?
I think not
Land in Loreto
Rent a car
Hand out food in town
Take pictures for his local newspaper
No time today to fly home today
He is probably taking up space in Mulege
And eating
And drinking the water

What the *** is this all about???

KAT54 - 9-8-2009 at 05:14 PM

It is about people flocking to disaster areas
that do not need to be there.
Mulege is already hurting
People are flocking down just to see the diaster
They think a "hug" will cure the diaster
What a joke
BajaSteve's friend is only one
and that guy must be a saint

captain4tuna - 9-8-2009 at 05:15 PM

KAT54, you seem to not realize that eveyone has their heart in the right place.
Thank you to all the pilots.

DENNIS - 9-8-2009 at 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captain4tuna
Thank you to all the pilots.

And others. Don't forget the others. The pilots ain't sht without the others.

mulegemichael - 9-8-2009 at 05:32 PM

kat54...you are basically full of chit...you got yer head up yer ass, amigo...we've done this many times and the folks down there need our help...and WANT it...how many times have YOU been there with help?...git outta dodge...i am SO sick of this crap!

DENNIS - 9-8-2009 at 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
kat54...you are basically full of poop...

Why? What did Kat say that was inappropriate?
You know what, Mike? Mulege isn't the end of the world nor is it hallowed ground. This effort here was supposed to be about Baja, not just your back yard so, why don't you show some concern for the whole problem without insisting that everybody pay attention to yours alone.
I'm so sick of your gawwdam crap of Mulege Mulege Mulege, I could puke. There's more to the storm mayhem in Baja than your Mulege.
Probably not for you though. Your world seems really small.

EngineerMike - 9-8-2009 at 06:07 PM

A heart without a brain is brainless.
A brain without a heart is heartless.
A nice mix of the two is a good formula for getting something done in an emergency.

If you have to get the cheapest price for everything that gets done in the name of charity, you won't get much charity accomplished, emergency or not.

Skeet said it very well. The worst part of a disaster is when helplessness breeds helplessness. People have to know there's life after this mess. That's why time is of the essence to get some basics handled; folks have to know in their hour of despair that there are people who care, and you can't convey that with good thoughts from far away (at least I can't). And, of course, people have to know money isn't going to get thrown around, or it will become a free for all.

BBP is well organized, and well connected so that engine hours are not burned up for the heck of it. They know to send obvious stuff first, then operate off fresh intelligence for follow up trips, and finally to quit burning avgas when ground assets are in place. The fact that a plane left at first word a landing strip was available means they are doing what they always do- get things moving. That's part of it also. While everybody sits & talks, nothing happens but talk, but if somebody starts a conga line then people stand up & dance.

For me its all about getting the Muleginos into the conga line. For others, they know other spots better and want to help those folks get up & dance. Right?

[Edited on 9-9-2009 by EngineerMike]

captain4tuna - 9-8-2009 at 06:12 PM

There seems to be so much anger and bitterness itowards one another in this forum.
Thank you Engineer Mike for your positive posts and for everything that you are doing.

DENNIS - 9-8-2009 at 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by EngineerMike

Skeet said it very well. The worst part of a disaster is when helplessness breeds helplessness.

:lol::lol: If Skeet ever said that, I'll buy you a new Corvette.

ligui - 9-8-2009 at 06:49 PM

dennis, you are such a fun guy....:tumble:

k-rico - 9-8-2009 at 07:19 PM

Great thread folks. There is merit to both viewpoints.

I'll be at Bahia Concepcion, RVing, in about 2 months, doing what I always do, buying something from almost every vendor that walks by (1 purchase per vendor) unless they have really tasty food.

I have an extensive baja blanket and t-shirt collection.

I usually get my breakfast delivered to my palapa every morning by an old gal driving a beat-up sedan, warm something or other. Fresh fish in the afternoon, paid for in cash of course, and the requirement that the pescador drink cold beers with me in the shade of the grass shack. Room (palapa) service, definitely with a smile.

Stay out of there until they get it cleaned up. Got dengue?

mulegemichael - 9-8-2009 at 07:43 PM

dengue is always waiting in the shadows in this scenario...bring deet..mike, you are the light at the end of this friggin tunnel...we leave in the morning...should be there by sunday..we are squatted down.

Fighting Dengue

Posada-BushPilot - 9-8-2009 at 07:47 PM

Our Rotary club donated a truck with tank, spray equipment and plenty of eco friendly insect killer. I hope they are runnin the wheels off that truck.

mulegemichael - 9-8-2009 at 07:49 PM

the off loaded that monster in front of our house last year and it can flat lay some mosquito flak out there...wow...what a great thing to have during these times...jimmy was so proud!...i hope it made it through ok.

MulegeMichael

Posada-BushPilot - 9-8-2009 at 07:53 PM

Yup, it survived without damage, according to Quito.
Actually it was donated to the Mulege club by a club in the states, pretty sure it was So. Lake Tahoe. I need to find out for sure so they get the credit they deserve. Very generous.

DENNIS - 9-8-2009 at 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ligui
dennis, you are such a fun guy....:tumble:

Just don't appreciate being assumed brainless. It makes the sutures around my lobotomy weep and gets really moist and messy. You know what I mean....huh. :yes:

EngineerMike - 9-8-2009 at 09:16 PM

"<Names redacted by toneart>have been stuck at the US border at San Diego for over 2 hours. They needed a manifest, including placing value on all the equipment- wheelbarrows, shovels, power-washer, clothing for the people of Mulege, food to donate, etc. Even though they told the customs agent they were on a humanitarian mission, it was useless. They were first turned back to the US, then made to re-enter. They are paying a fee for the value of all items listed on the manifest."

This is what I've been expecting at the border. There is a new regime in place. They will have to follow the letter of the law to get established, it is the same in all officialdom.

If taking donations, by all means plead the case, & maybe w/enough pressure a senior official will get the word & there will be relief for the relief effort. Until then, we don't need gaggles of Nomads getting depressed over the party line at Aduana. In the mean time go armed w/a well detailed summary of your load, and prepared to pay ~15% duty. Take solace in saving 15% off the prices of stuff in TJ & Ensenada.

DENNIS - 9-8-2009 at 09:30 PM

Quote:
Even though they told the customs agent they were on a humanitarian mission, it was useless.

Gee. Let's see....who told you that would happen?
I remember. Do you?
It' a Nomad thing. Nobody listens to anybody but themselves.

about the border hassle

Mulegena - 9-8-2009 at 09:48 PM

I just gotta ask... why stop?

DENNIS - 9-8-2009 at 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
I just gotta ask... why stop?

EngineerMike can tell you that one:

Red light...

Green light.....

EngineerMike - 9-8-2009 at 11:06 PM

Lisa Maria- if you don't declare a load of commercial quantities of dutiable goods, and get pulled over either for red light or by selection, the official punishment is
1) they get to keep your load of stuff, and
2) hit you w/a healthy fine.

Don't ask my wife about how I know this; she got over it finally. It was a trailer load of medical donations. And that was the old regime at Aduana. Now there is an army of newbies who need to prove their proficiency and capability at enforcing the rules. That's why I've been counseling to pull directly into Declaracion, tell them the Mulege story, then hand them your detailed manifest for the load & pony up the duty (~15%). Otherwise you are there for hours, come near divorce, have to invoke your legal insurance, blah, blah, blah... I'm afraid we are stuck w/the duty train for a while.

There are at least 3 agitators (bless their Nomadic souls) working on getting Jimena relief some Aduana relief. But it almost can't take less than several days (less would be un milagro), and if it ever works is likely to take weeks. We will be at it for more than weeks, so hope for the best.

I'm going to talk to the Mulege Delegado about it and see if he can provide an official letter, and maybe get another from the Mulege Rotary. The problem I've run into before is having an official acceptance that perfectly matches a relief load manifest. "How so we know this will actually be delivered to the Delegado, since your load is one thing and his letter says another..." That's a tough bureaucratic hurdle to clear. We'll see what transpires & hope for the best.

Sharksbaja - 9-9-2009 at 03:06 AM

Arriving before the town can handle your presence may not be prudent. Gather yourselves wisely. Take necessary and important items.

Be self-sufficient this visit. Bring cash and make sure you have a place to stay. I camped on Coyote for 2 weeks while unearthing John.

Don't forget about the impending mosquito hatch btw!

I pray for all the displaced and uprooted people in Mulege. One more big thanks for the many selfless giving people:

Thank You Mulege Givers

AndrewPerrington - 9-9-2009 at 03:11 AM

Maybe the five hundred pounds of supplies/food/etc. delivered by the Bush Pilots wont solve everyone's problems. Heck, I'm sure the money spent in fuel could also be donated to the Red Cross, Rotary Club, etc. But do you realize that each person directly helped by the Bush Pilots, or by Norteamericanos that have friends in Mulege is a person that is not going to stand in line waiting for water or clothes, or food, therefore freeing up some of the resources that can go to others in need?

CaboRon - 9-9-2009 at 08:31 AM

Quote:
Lisa Maria- if you don't declare a load of commercial quantities of dutiable goods, and get pulled over either for red light or by selection, the official punishment is
1) they get to keep your load of stuff, and
2) hit you w/a healthy fine.

Don't ask my wife about how I know this; she got over it finally. It was a trailer load of medical donations. And that was the old regime at Aduana. Now there is an army of newbies who need to prove their proficiency and capability at enforcing the rules. That's why I've been counseling to pull directly into Declaracion, tell them the Mulege story, then hand them your detailed manifest for the load & pony up the duty (~15%). Otherwise you are there for hours, come near divorce, have to invoke your legal insurance, blah, blah, blah... I'm afraid we are stuck w/the duty train for a while.

There are at least 3 agitators (bless their Nomadic souls) working on getting Jimena relief some Aduana relief. But it almost can't take less than several days (less would be un milagro), and if it ever works is likely to take weeks. We will be at it for more than weeks, so hope for the best.

I'm going to talk to the Mulege Delegado about it and see if he can provide an official letter, and maybe get another from the Mulege Rotary. The problem I've run into before is having an official acceptance that perfectly matches a relief load manifest. "How so we know this will actually be delivered to the Delegado, since your load is one thing and his letter says another..." That's a tough bureaucratic hurdle to clear. We'll see what transpires & hope for the best.

I was told once at the border that a letter from my church or even better from the parish priest would help smooth the wheels of crossing.

rpleger - 9-9-2009 at 08:48 AM

Why not buy your stuff in Ensenada...CostCo...Home Depot...WalMart...

That way you can help the Mexican economy also....

EngineerMike - 9-9-2009 at 02:26 PM

Thanks for all the u2u and I apologize for lack of time to respond to each.

Tony- I figured that from the start about the Aduana reception; we'll argue what we can then pay what we owe. After all its their rules.

BajaBad- Understand fully about San Carlos, and good on ya for helping there.

Mike

Skeet/Loreto - 9-9-2009 at 05:55 PM

Dennis;

Why don"t you take a Vacation and go to Mulege and help some of those folks who are in need.

If you will get a load of supplies I will meet you and transport them down and then take you to Jungle Jims for a Drink of Cold Beer with Arrowhead.

P.S. You will be second to be thrown in the river!!

skeet

EngineerMike - 9-9-2009 at 10:52 PM

Scholarship's "bucket brigade" is on the road in the a.m., Chula Vista by nightfall, GN by Friday eve & Mulege Saturday morning.

Couple thousand pounds on the truck, definitely an overload. Can't drive at night cuz the headlights shine up, not forward. Steering is a bit light, but oughta hold in the curvas peligrosas. Once more into the breach.

Thanks to all who have, and will continue contributing. We got $1700 from the Placerville Lutherans (and all these folks did was call a meeting and pass the hat!!!), $1000 donated in Rio Vista, another $1100 in PayPal & other money donations, and have another $2000 pledged. That's $5800!!!
The truck has the first $1500 in food, tarps, visqueen, duct tape, dog food, cat food, baggies to break down big bags of beans-rice-pet food-etc. to familia size packets. I could wedge a couple of post cards in there also, but not the stamps.

Will post the latest on the ground needs as soon as possible. Wish me luck on bumming somebody's floor to grab some zzzz's before the slingshot trip back.

kp_martin - 9-11-2009 at 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Posada-BushPilot
Yup, it survived without damage, according to Quito.
Actually it was donated to the Mulege club by a club in the states, pretty sure it was So. Lake Tahoe. I need to find out for sure so they get the credit they deserve. Very generous.

Glad to hear the mosquito fogger is ok. That was a joint project of Scott Valley (Fort Jones, CA) and Bend Mt Bachelor (Bend, OR) Rotary Clubs w/ donations from Shasta Valley (Yreka) and Central Point (OR); District 5110. Paul Heidke and I were the lead on that and worked a long time to raise the $14k to buy it. Jimmy was a great help! Hope he's ok.

BTW, Paul just raised a bunch of bucks for tarps etc. that will arrive next week. Maybe some by airplane! (at my own expense btw).

BTW, I'm also a BBP and am appalled at some of the crap I hear. But I also remember some of the same BS after Juan when I said we were going to provide Mosquito equip.

Fortunately we know the source. Blessings to the Bomberos, and all the other volunteers!

kevin

[Edited on 9-11-2009 by kp_martin]

EngineerMike -

Posada-BushPilot - 9-11-2009 at 10:40 AM

Spoke to Jimmy this morning and he said there were some folks at your place, looked like Gringos and looked like they were cleaning up for you. Quito told him about it this morning because he thought you were in town already.

Anyway, have a safe trip.

DianaT - 9-11-2009 at 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kp_martin

But I also remember some of the same BS after Juan when I said we were going to provide Mosquito equip.

Someone gave you grief over the idea of providing Mosquito equip???? Gees, that is incredible. Mosquito control seems like something that is high on the priority list.

Glad the equipment you donated before is OK

kp_martin - 9-11-2009 at 11:13 AM

Yea, it was one of those detractors that rarely have anything positive to say. Made several posts about us Rotarians not doing what we said we would. I guess they thought we were going to pull together that kind of money overnight! Besides getting approval from MX dept of Health etc. It took a year but we got er done!

kevin

Posada-BushPilot - 9-11-2009 at 11:31 AM

I don't know whose idea it was to buy the fogger equipment (Yours Kevin?) but we feel very luck to have it, especially right now. I think there is still standing water all over the place.
I asked Quito to run the wheels off that truck. Engineer Mike is delivering cash to buy fuel....will be there tomorrow.

Article in todays El Sudcaliforniano

arrowhead - 9-11-2009 at 07:51 PM

I'll post the article in Spanish below for those who read it. It's some good news. It says the Mexican government has put 100's of locals to work on a Temporary Employment Program to clean the streets of Mulege. So that means a faster cleanup and money in peoples pockets.

Quote:

http://www.oem.com.mx/elsudcaliforniano/notas/n1321474.htm

Comenzó limpieza con cientos de empleados del PET

SANTA ROSALÍA, BCS.- Después de que fueron retirados de la vía pública miles de toneladas de fango, tierra, piedras y basura que deja la creciente de arroyo de Cachanía con su paso del huracán "Jimena" por el municipio de Mulegé, desde ayer dio comienzo una campaña de limpieza a mano con cientos de trabajadores del Programa de Empleo Temporal -PET- para retirar de las calles la tierra que ocasiona las polvaredas y que pone en riesgo la salud de los cachanías.

Ayer brigadas de personas iniciaron con las calles del centro y avenida Sarabia escoba a mano, mientras que los cuerpos de rescate con las bomberas regaban a chorro de agua para terminar de limpiar, todos ellos debidamente coordinados y supervisados por personal al mando del alcalde de Mulegé, José Manuel Murillo Peralta, quien encabeza esta actividad.

Hay que recordar que con el paso de "Jimena" por cachanía después de la gran inundación de las colonias afectas y la zona centro, miles de toneladas de lodo, tierra, piedras, carros enterrados, basura y objetos varios quedaron por todos lados que durante estos días han sido retirados con apoyo de maquinaria que llegaron de todas las instituciones oficiales, empresas y particulares para sumarse a las tareas de reconstrucción del puerto.

Gadget - 9-13-2009 at 03:00 PM

Quote:
Soulpatch & Howodd-

It is easy to understand the complainers if you know the code.

The following situation plays out daily in America as we speak:
Two brothers argue over what to do about mom, now that she is losing her marbles. Bother A says, "I'll pack up her stuff & she can live w/me." Brother B protests, "You can't do that. You'll be giving up your freedom, your time, and all. Lets split the cost of a care home."

Complaining that the cost to A is too high is really code, meaning, "You will be doing a lot of work, and I won't."

Now re-read the whining. You'll see many creative arguments why you and I shouldn't lend a hand, spending our own time & money. Decode it and voila!

Perfect Mike, just perfectly said.

EngineerMike - 9-14-2009 at 10:01 PM

See my post of this evening on the Jimena thread for full update on Mulege from the ground. Too long to repost here. Mike

kp_martin - 9-15-2009 at 06:14 AM

Quote:
I don't know whose idea it was to buy the fogger equipment (Yours Kevin?) but we feel very luck to have it, especially right now. I think there is still standing water all over the place.
I asked Quito to run the wheels off that truck. Engineer Mike is delivering cash to buy fuel....will be there tomorrow.

It was Rtn. Paul Heidtke's (Bend Mt. Batchelor) idea. He is/was a Terminex dealer and certified bug nut. He had done the same thing in Los Barilles several years ago. We're hoping to do another sometime.

Paul

Posada-BushPilot - 9-15-2009 at 08:17 AM

He is headed down this coming thursday or friday with 250+ tarps. If you read Mike's report, he says they are sorely needed.......so Paul hits it outa the park....AGAIN.:yes:

kp_martin - 9-15-2009 at 08:22 AM

Quote:
He is headed down this coming thursday or friday with 250+ tarps. If you read Mike's report, he says they are sorely needed.......so Paul hits it outa the park....AGAIN.:yes:

I have about 8k' of rope (pull tape) donated by our local telco that I can hopefully hook up with Paul - workin on that. Can have a bunch more by the end of the week.

I also have a line on some water purification kits from Samaritan's Purse/MAF. Any idea where those could be needed?

Cypress - 9-15-2009 at 11:39 AM

Still haven't seen any pictures of Don Chano's? Right across the river from the Oasis. Have seen umpteen pictures of the Oasis. Is Don Chano's a restricted zone? No photo's?

baja Steve - 9-15-2009 at 11:52 AM

does Paul still live in Bend?

KurtG - 9-15-2009 at 05:41 PM

Quote:
Still haven't seen any pictures of Don Chano's? Right across the river from the Oasis. Have seen umpteen pictures of the Oasis. Is Don Chano's a restricted zone? No photo's?

There is one photo on Ecomujeres' site taken from across the river. Appears that all four of the front houses are gone as reported. Manuel's new house on the hillside appears ok.

Cypress - 9-15-2009 at 05:52 PM

KurtG, Thanks for the reply. Will try to find the picture.

kp_martin - 9-15-2009 at 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by baja Steve
does Paul still live in Bend?

Yes, he lives in Bend thrugh the summer and in Los
Barilles in the winter.

baja Steve - 9-15-2009 at 06:56 PM

any contact info for Paul? I live in Bend also.

Mulegena - 9-15-2009 at 10:30 PM

taken from daily report on Mulege by Carlos Milan:

"According to the report from CONAGUA, Jimena surpassed all previous storm records and established the following record: 311 millimenters (12.24 inches) of rain and a runoff of 1,200 cubic meters (1312 cubic feet) per second."

12.24 inches of rain per second
1312 ft.cubed of runoff per second

ecomujeres - 9-15-2009 at 10:50 PM

Mulegena:

That's 12.24 inches of rain (total, not per second) AND 1312 cubic feet of runoff per second

Debra

Mulegena - 9-15-2009 at 11:06 PM

Thanks for the correction, Debra. It seemed unlikely, 12.24 inches of rain per second, but having been in John and Julio personally and seen the volume of rain and torent of river... perhaps.

However 12.24 inches of rain total seems too little as John delivered an inch an hour for 24 hours, I believe, which put 10 feet of water in my house; this time it put over 12 feet and went into the attic by a few feet.

Anyway, damn it a mess there. Thanks for the one-stop update, Debra, and a huge thank you to everyone who is helping in the relief efforts in the regions.

ecomujeres - 9-15-2009 at 11:32 PM

Mulegena:

+- 12 inches does seem low, but that's the official estimate. Also, the effect of all those 12 inches throughout the mountains region and all the water from the 39 or so arroyos that are the Mulege watershed (and feed into the valley) would most certainly put that much water in your place.

But, I ask, who was out there measuring the rain during the hurricane? How much water blew out of the rain gauge every second?? :D

Russ - 9-16-2009 at 05:37 AM

ecomujeres , interesting thought, "How much water blew out of the rain gauge every second??"
I had only 7.5" here and this storm lasted... forever.

EngineerMike - 9-16-2009 at 11:20 PM

There is something wrong with that quoted estimate.

1 meter = 3.3 feet.
3.3 feet cubed = 35.9 cubic feet = 1 cubic meter
35.9cf/c.m. x 1200cm/sec = 43,000 cubic feet per second, not 1,312cfs.

I might believe 43,000 cfs but that seems high. I've seen the American River at 9,000 cfs and its crazy fast but the cross section is narrow and steep. Mulege has a dramatically wider cross section but moves slower. I've seen the Feather River at 86,000cfs, and that would have cleaned Mulege off the map.

It would be interesting to find out where the rain gauge is and who keeps it.

[Edited on 9-17-2009 by EngineerMike]

ecomujeres - 9-17-2009 at 01:51 AM

Hi Mike:

Yep, I corrected the number I had on the translated page. I put cubic feet when it was supposed to be cubic yards. I did it late last night, and this afternoon when I was telling someone about it, and read it first in meters then feet, I said: whoa, that's not right.

Interesting thought, though of yours about the amount. I really know nothing about the subject, but took it to mean that they were perhaps talking about the total amount of run off from rain fall in the area that eventually flowed into the Mulege river, and not necessarily that there was that much running in the river, at any given second. Does that make any sense?

And yeah, who figured out those numbers? Either way, a LOT of water.

Thanks again for your herculean efforts and excellent reports.

KAT54 - 9-17-2009 at 05:47 AM

ecomujeres
Are you in Mulege helping with the cleanup?

kudosmi - 10-6-2009 at 05:06 AM

Awesome post...Very interesting indeed. Hope to see more like this one in another threads someday. Hope to also read more comments on this. Nice one!

Regards,
kudosmi
Ordinateur portable pas cher

Beachgirl - 10-6-2009 at 06:57 AM

I am daydreaming about the Mex Govt spending hundreds of millions of pesos building another Hoover Dam down there...but then....it is only a dream

Juriscoyote - 10-6-2009 at 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Beachgirl
I am daydreaming about the Mex Govt spending hundreds of millions of pesos building another Hoover Dam down there...but then....it is only a dream

It will have to be named "Juarez" Dam, not Hoover, to entice government support. Now, how about 39 smaller embankments, one for each "arroyo"?

Mulegena - 10-6-2009 at 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Juriscoyote
Quote:
Originally posted by Beachgirl

It will have to be named "Juarez" Dam, not Hoover, to entice government support. Now, how about 39 smaller embankments, one for each "arroyo"?

It would look like the Great Wall of Mexico and would be empty most of the time. Down in Baja its parched unless it "rains flat-out like a lizard drinking" to quote Crocodile Dundee.