BajaNomad

Planning a trip, need a little help

Cyanide41 - 9-29-2009 at 01:20 PM

So the GF and I are planning to head down to Baja to do a little camping here very shortly. While I am an experienced camper, I have never done it in Baja.

So we are looking for something near water. Right now I am thinking somewhere around Punta Santo Tomas. Maybe even bahia Soledad. We like to rough it so the least amount of amenities and/or people the better.

We are even considering doing a couple days at Santo Tomas and then moving on. Basically just looking for "adventure."

Your suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.

Cypress - 9-29-2009 at 01:44 PM

Cyanide41, Water? Salt or fresh? There's plenty of remote country in Baja between the Pacific and the Sea of Cortez.:D It will be an adventure.

mulegemichael - 9-29-2009 at 01:55 PM

hey amigo...y'all might want to consider the bay of concepcion down mulege way; gorgeous blue water, for the most part protected, great kayaking, camping right on the beach, etc..check out the maps..

Cyanide41 - 9-29-2009 at 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
Cyanide41, Water? Salt or fresh? There's plenty of remote country in Baja between the Pacific and the Sea of Cortez.:D It will be an adventure.

Either really. I have though about San Pedro de Martir as well. Not interested at doing El Picacho del Diablo but I "hear" there is a lot of nice scenery.

Quote:
Originally posted by mulegemichael
hey amigo...y'all might want to consider the bay of concepcion down mulege way; gorgeous blue water, for the most part protected, great kayaking, camping right on the beach, etc..check out the maps..

Mulege is pretty far down. How long of a drive is that from San Diego?

David K - 9-29-2009 at 04:19 PM

San Diego to Mulege in a normal vehicle (not towing)... about 13 hours + stops for fuel, military inspections, etc. In other words TWO DAYS for driving as we don't recommend night driving due to road hazards and missing the scenery as well.

First night: El Rosario (Baja Cactus, Turista Motel or Baja's Best Bed & Breakfast) 5 hours from the border... Day 2 will be an 8 hour driving day.

UNLESS, you get to El Rosario before 1:00 pm and are up to another 4 hours driving... then push on to Guerrero Negro (Malarrimo Motel or ??). Of so, Day 2 will be just a 4 hour driving day allowing you more fun time in Mulege/ Bahia Concepcion before dark!

There is also Cataviņa (1.5 hrs. past El Rosario) with the 'Desert Inn' $$$ hotel or an unrecommended motel across the highway, before the Desert Inn.

Another option instead of going all the way to Mulege would be to go to Bahia de los Angeles! About 8 hours from the border... lots of motels, restaurants, taco stands, sites, museum, islands, wow!

DanO - 9-29-2009 at 05:41 PM

There's a grassy area behind the lagoon at La Bocana de Santo Tomas where people pay to camp (you can see it in the photos in k-rico's slide show, here: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=41668). They purport to have a latrine, water is available, and there is a little store that is open sporadically when there are campers around. A big sand beach is just across the lagoon. Things are pretty quiet down there, especially midweek, but the camping is next to the road, as you can see in the photos.

If by Punta Santo Tomas you are talking about camping on the other side of the ridge behind Puerto Santo Tomas, folks do camp over there as well from time to time, and it qualifies for the "least amount of amenities" award. Nothing out there but the road, which is passable but sketchy in a few spots, a concrete pad for a long-abandoned development on the point and a couple of abandoned houses a bit east of the point that local fishermen sometimes use as a fish camp. No sandy beach, no fresh water, and it tends to be either windy or foggy, but the scenery is spectacular.

I don't know what the camping situation is at the beach at Bahia Soledad, which is accessible via a road heading north several miles inland from La Bocana. A few houses have been built there (despite the lack of a good water source) since a new owner took over. Beautiful spot, but it had a decidedly unfriendly vibe under the prior ownership.

BajaDanD - 9-29-2009 at 11:15 PM

Quote:
I don't know what the camping situation is at the beach at Bahia Soledad, which is accessible via a road heading north several miles inland from La Bocana. A few houses have been built there (despite the lack of a good water source) since a new owner took over. Beautiful spot, but it had a decidedly unfriendly vibe under the prior ownership.

The story I heard was they were growing pot there and didnt like people snooping around. Might just be an urban legend though.

[Edited on 9-30-2009 by BajaDanD]

BajaWarrior - 9-30-2009 at 04:18 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by BajaDanD

The story I heard was they were growing pot there and didnt like people snooping around. Might just be an urban legend though.

I believe all of that. When I had my home at La Bocana on one such trip there my brother and I attempted to ride quads to Bahia Soledad. We happened upon a gate with the biggest lock and chain we had ever seen. Decided they needed their privacy for whatever reason.

Sergio Gomez of La Bocana said the Army regularly destroyed the gate.

Cyanide41 - 9-30-2009 at 06:12 AM

Thanks for the info David. Based on that. Mulege is out. We only have 5 days, and don't want to spend 4 of them driving.

David K - 9-30-2009 at 08:02 AM

L.A. Bay is a nice choice... Gonzaga Bay as well (if you can handle 36 miles of dirt highway)...

The Pacific coast places (La Bocana/ Puerto Santo Tomas or Punta Cabras, etc.) could be foggy, overcast, cold water, the typical Pacific stuff that appeals more to those who surf (as there are no waves on the Gulf coast)!

[note to Woody: see I can chase people away from 'your' side of Baja!]

Come on over to the warm Sea of Cortez and kick your shoes off!

Another choice would be the area around San Felipe... sand beaches, many campos, etc. 5 hours from San Diego.

Cyanide41 - 9-30-2009 at 09:35 AM

Very good points David. I have actually thought about hitting both sides. Dirt roads don't matter. I have heard good things about Camping in Bay of LA.

David K - 9-30-2009 at 10:23 AM

The main issue with multiple locations when camping is the tear down and setting up of camp... Tent, air mattress, sleeping bags, etc.

When camping we hope to set up camp just once because of the work involved... If going to southern Baja to camp, we will stay at a motel the first night so all the gear remains packed.

However, if you are a light camper and full of energy, this may not be an issue... Just distance and finding what is interesting to you!

Now, the enchanting part of Baja for most of us begins south of El Rosario where the boojum trees are first seen... or where ever you get off the highway and away from civilization!

Is it just beaches you like... or does desert scenery, abandoned mines, mission ruins, Indian rock art (petroglyphs) interst you as well?

The first trip to Baja I took 'Baja Angel' on covered a lot of ground and we did it all in THREE DAYS: El Rosario, Mision San Fernando, Cataviņa, Montevideo, Bahia de los Angeles, Coco's Corner, Bahia San Luis Gonzaga, San Felipe... Have a look: http://vivabaja.com/105

Anyway, she was HOOKED ON BAJA (and on me) after that trip!

Just around El Rosario is so much... Here is our first time staying for more than one night there and seeing the many sites and coast: http://vivabaja.com/505

Our first summer vacation together had us enjoying the festival in El Rosario, had fun with Baja Nomads, then going on to Gonzaga Bay and up near San Felipe where we camped on the beach at 'Shell Island'... http://vivabaja.com/705

[Edited on 9-30-2009 by David K]

David K - 9-30-2009 at 10:36 AM

Oh, a note... the photos and comments about the road from Gonzaga north to Puertecitos in the above '705' link are from July, 2005... In November of 2005, a combination of storms and the Baja 1000 and no repair/ regrading done since, has turned the good graded road into a slow, rocky mess... They are now paving the road south from Puertecitos, but there are 35 rough miles remaining. Before any trip to Baja... make sure your vehickle is in top shape and your tires look more new than old!

DanO - 9-30-2009 at 10:37 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior
Quote:
Originally posted by BajaDanD

I believe all of that. When I had my home at La Bocana on one such trip there my brother and I attempted to ride quads to Bahia Soledad. We happened upon a gate with the biggest lock and chain we had ever seen. Decided they needed their privacy for whatever reason.

Sergio Gomez of La Bocana said the Army regularly destroyed the gate.

Yep, the gate was there the first time I rode out there on the dirt bike in November of 1990, and we walked down from that point. There was a travel trailer at the north end of a functional airstrip that ran parallel to the beach, and lots of drip irrigation tubing laying around. We poked around for a bit but got the distinct and creepy feeling we were being watched, and took off. I mentioned it to Romulo Gomez when we got back and he said we were crazy to go out there.

I understand that a lawyer owns the place now. My last trip out, last Christmas, the road was open and it appeared there had been some grading done for lots in the canyon up from the beach.

Bajahowodd - 9-30-2009 at 04:34 PM

So, the honarary mayor of El Rosario speaks. Hey David, I can truly understand why Antonio put so much money into his place. Being merely a half-hour or so from San Quintin, a much larger town, with many great hotels and restaurants, it was incumbent upon his to make a distinction. I've stated in a post on another thread that despite the arguments about his place, I agree that it is a great value. Now, as far as Tourista goes, never stayed there, but it sure looks like a penal colony. That said, I have experience at Baja's Best. It is an unmitigated dump, and I think you are doing a disservice to nomads when you continue to promote it. Just because someone shakes your hand and buys you a beer is no reason to start promoting their business.

BajaDanD - 9-30-2009 at 04:53 PM

go check out San Quintin if you only have 5 days and its your first trip down. Beaches for miles. Or try for Bay of L.A. its 10 hours from the border.

David K - 9-30-2009 at 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
So, the honarary mayor of El Rosario speaks. Hey David, I can truly understand why Antonio put so much money into his place. Being merely a half-hour or so from San Quintin, a much larger town, with many great hotels and restaurants, it was incumbent upon his to make a distinction. I've stated in a post on another thread that despite the arguments about his place, I agree that it is a great value. Now, as far as Tourista goes, never stayed there, but it sure looks like a penal colony. That said, I have experience at Baja's Best. It is an unmitigated dump, and I think you are doing a disservice to nomads when you continue to promote it. Just because someone shakes your hand and buys you a beer is no reason to start promoting their business.

I base my observations on RECENT visits... Like July, 2009 in this case... and several trips to and through there before.

Baja's Best (Ed & Yolanda's place) is remodeled... food always good... their rooms look very nice, we haven't stayed there.

Turista Motel is very nice, very new, very clean and very cheap with comfy U.S. matresses... who would have a problem with that?

Baja Cactus is THE establishment that all other Baja motels are compared to... and that has to do with the efforts of Baja Nomad member Antonio ('BajaCactus').

Mama Espinoza's Restaurant is totally remodeled, and new efficient service and good food...

Tacos Mision is always a great place to visit, eat and admire the art work...

El Rosario has real character as a Baja frontier town... born in 1774... Hey, that's older than the USA!

I have photos aplenty that show the numerous attractions there in El Rosario... Unless you are a fisherman, I just don't see a whole lot to experience in San Quintin... Please do your best to change that. The Jardines is a good restaurant, albeit pricey by Baja standards... the motel there has a good reputation as well.

BAJACAT - 9-30-2009 at 07:43 PM

Cyanide41 , what about San Quintin for a day or two and then you can go to San pedro Martir, there are alot camp grounds way in back away from everybody.After that you can do a quick trip to San Felipe, where you can visit The Valley of the Giants(cardon's), and also David's Shell island from some private camping.
SAN PEDRO

VALLE DE GIGANTES

GONZAGA BAY

[Edited on 10-1-2009 by BAJACAT]

Bajahowodd - 9-30-2009 at 10:51 PM

The only thing worse than the food at Baja's Best is the service. DK, I really don't want to make this personal. Really. Just a little friendly advice. I'm certain most nomads have experienced disappointment along their way. I would absolutely give you greater credibility if you EVER posted a complaint or even a mention of disappointment about someplace you stayed at or ate at.

fernando - 9-30-2009 at 10:51 PM

HI Cyanide I think Santo Tomas would be a good option or San Qintin it has some very amazing landforms and two old volcanos with a great view. Or mabye the San Felipe area should also be good this time of the year just head south so you dont run into people.

If you need camping gear check my page and contact me

Cyanide41 - 10-1-2009 at 06:33 AM

Thanks for all the great suggestions guys. So much Baja... so little time.

David K - 10-1-2009 at 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyanide41
Thanks for all the great suggestions guys. So much Baja... so little time.

THAT's the spirit!

Day 1, to Santo Tomas is 25 miles south of Ensenada and has a big campground 'El Palomar', on the left, across from the Palomar Restaurant and Pemex. The mission ruins (adobe rubble and a bit of a wall) are just north of the campground by the tall palms... Or to Punta Cabras on the beach... go south of Santo Tomas to the only paved sideroad signed for Erendira and Coyote Cal's... about 11 miles in to the coast... and continue north a few miles along the coast past Coyote Cal's for many camp areas. Punta Cabras, just north of, has sand dunes and sandy beach.

Day 2-3, to San Pedro Martir pine forest, observatory, view of the San Felipe desert from 9,280'... camp sites in Vallecitos, below the observatory ridge... Only paved side road to the left south of Colonet... now paved all the way up. Or, (after seeing the observatory) go and camp at Mike's Sky Rancho (access road is about 30 miles in, before Meling Ranch (also access for Rancho Coyote) Mike's has a running trout stream in the campground, also a motel/ restaurant, pool... See my road log and photos http://vivabaja.com/905

Day 3-4, to San Felipe and south to Rancho Percebu, Shell Island or Nuevo Mazatlan for some beach time.

Day 5, head home after a lunch of fish tacos in San Felipe!

DanO - 10-1-2009 at 10:48 AM

If you do San Quintin and like oysters (especially roasted over your campfire), I recommend a run out to the oyster farms on the road next to the military base. Nothing like getting them straight out of the water, and you can't beat the prices.

BajaNuts - 10-1-2009 at 05:07 PM

Here's a link to a Baja camping guide I found. You can scroll up and down the peninsula to get to the area you want. They seem to have pretty detailed info on campgrounds, but I have no idea how current the info is. Some area's (like the area in this link) have zoom in boxes.

Have a great trip!

http://www.ontheroadin.com/baja/bajarvparks/puntabandatoelro...

edit to include this link to what seems to be the homepage for the Baja peninsula map. Just click on the map in the approximate area you are interested to start ...

http://www.ontheroadin.com/baja/thebaja.htm

[Edited on 10-2-2009 by BajaNuts]

David K - 10-2-2009 at 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNuts
Here's a link to a Baja camping guide I found. You can scroll up and down the peninsula to get to the area you want. They seem to have pretty detailed info on campgrounds, but I have no idea how current the info is. Some area's (like the area in this link) have zoom in boxes.

Have a great trip!

http://www.ontheroadin.com/baja/bajarvparks/puntabandatoelro...

edit to include this link to what seems to be the homepage for the Baja peninsula map. Just click on the map in the approximate area you are interested to start ...

http://www.ontheroadin.com/baja/thebaja.htm

[Edited on 10-2-2009 by BajaNuts]

Took a look, and it seems the data to be about 3-4 years old... Has Camp Gecko (L.A. Bay) and Gypsy's (San Quintin)both still open for camping. Lot's of photos of every camp... lots of details... Very nice link!