BajaNomad

Norte Checkpoints

White Angel - 10-20-2009 at 11:52 AM

Has the relaxation of Marijuana laws had any effect on the Army roadblocks in the Norte? We used to drive the length of Baja every spring; but have avoided it the past few years and instead fly into Cabo; rent wheels and drive north to the West Cape, La Paz and Loreto. This avoids the perceived violence of the border zone.
Thinking of trying a run like the old days (in a brand new truck) down thru TJ, Ensenada, Catavina and then over to Alfonsinas. Are there as many checkpoints as there were 5 years ago? Is the violence pretty much just media hype, or drug related and isolated to drug traffic? Looking for a little road adventure; but not looking for hassles with either the narcos or the Army.

woody with a view - 10-20-2009 at 11:56 AM

it's a scary world out there.... you never know when the unexpected will arise. in other words, yes it's dangerous. that's why we go.....:light:

dtbushpilot - 10-20-2009 at 12:02 PM

If you aren't looking for drama and trouble you aren't likely to find any. Army checkpoints are a non event if you're not carrying......if you plan to be stay home.....dt

DENNIS - 10-20-2009 at 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by White Angel
Has the relaxation of Marijuana laws had any effect on the Army roadblocks in the Norte?

Are there as many checkpoints as there were 5 years ago? Is the violence pretty much just media hype, or drug related and isolated to drug traffic?

Probably more road blocks and the relaxation of laws hasn't really happened. Get caught with it and you're busted. Just like the good ol' days.
The violence you read about is the way it is. Nobody can truthfully tell you different. It seems restricted to the illegal drug industry but, it's here. Those bodys hanging from bridges in TJ arn't Piņatas.
Other than that, c'mon down and use extreme vigilance. In other words, pretend you're in Los Angeles and you'll be allright.
Have a good trip.

Relaxation -- one day soon

Lee - 10-20-2009 at 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by White Angel
Has the relaxation of Marijuana laws had any effect on the Army roadblocks in the Norte?

If an ounce or less were discovered in your vehicle, you're probably OK but don't take my word on that. A pound or more of dubage is poor form and will likely plss the guys off at the checkpoint. A lot of explaining and money might avoid a bad scene but not sure of that either. I'd advise against anything that is illegal, or questionable. Esp. around drugs and arms.

Otherwise, no problems in traveling South to BCS. Put an alarm with a couple kill switches on your vehicle. Watch your back. Have fun.

David K - 10-20-2009 at 12:44 PM

IF you aren't violating Mexican law (drugs, guns, ammo), you have nothing to fear from the checkpoints. Here is where they are in 'Norte' in places I have been this past year... others CAN pop up overnight!

On Hwy. 1 (Baja Norte):

1) Just north of Santo Tomas

2) Just north of El Rosario

3) El Tomatal road (north of Villa Jesus Maria)

On Hwy. 5:

Hwy. 3 (to Ensenada) Jcn.

(the ones near the San Felipe airport and at Gonzaga Bay have been closed a couple years now)

On Hwy. 2:

Bottom of the Rumorosa (Cantu) Grade

On Hwy. 3 (Tecate- El Sauzal/Ensenada section):

North of Guadalupe (Francisco Zarco)

DanO - 10-20-2009 at 12:47 PM

If you don't install kill switches, take care where you park that new truck in Ensenada if you're stopping there. A friend of mine had his truck (with all of his tools in it) stolen earlier this year while he was having lunch at the sports book near the harbor.

DENNIS - 10-20-2009 at 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
If an ounce or less were discovered in your vehicle, you're probably OK but don't take my word on that.

I don't think so, Lee. The adjustment to the law has been written for the benefit of the Mexican habitual user who will have started his journey to rehab on a three strike basis....or something like that. It definitly was not put in place for tourists.

David K - 10-20-2009 at 12:49 PM

Get high on Baja, leave the dope at home!

DENNIS - 10-20-2009 at 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DanO
If you don't install kill switches, take care where you park that new truck in Ensenada if you're stopping there. A friend of mine had his truck (with all of his tools in it) stolen earlier this year while he was having lunch at the sports book near the harbor.

Grand Theft Auto has been epidemic in Ensenada forever. I can't remember how many American tourists I've come across, just standing there bewildered, saying they are sure they parked their car right here.......pointing to an empty spot.

DENNIS - 10-20-2009 at 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

Get high on dope then, go to Baskin Robbins. :lol:

Lee - 10-20-2009 at 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

Leave the dope home, right. Plenty of dope in Baja.

Phil C - 10-20-2009 at 05:36 PM

Come'on Guys, What ever hapened to common sense? As for traveling in Baja now...if you use it, it's not much different than it used to be....:saint: