BajaNomad

Baja Ha Ha Sailing Rally

ElFaro - 10-27-2009 at 07:43 AM

Has anyone partaken of this event / adventure ? Looks like alot of fun.

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/oct/27/seafarers...

rhintransit - 10-27-2009 at 07:45 AM

loads of the current cruisers in the sea have done it, and many more will now and in the future.

DENNIS - 10-27-2009 at 07:52 AM

I think Fred Hoctor would approve.

http://www.bajanomad.com/columnists/fhoctor/

Cyanide41 - 10-27-2009 at 12:15 PM

sounds like fun! Now if I only had a boat.

DENNIS - 10-27-2009 at 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cyanide41
sounds like fun! Now if I only had a boat.

You can belong to the Punta Banda Yacht Club if you don't have a boat. In fact, other members will mock you severely and look down on you if you even mention the word.

lingililingili - 10-27-2009 at 12:29 PM

We avoided the HaHa when we cruised but we do know four boats that are headed to Mexico in this year's and three boats that are still in Baja from last year's HaHa.

Jack Swords - 10-27-2009 at 02:46 PM

http://www.baja-haha.com/

Almost 200 boats going down this year. They are very good for the economy in Baja. Then there are many others who prefer to sail alone and head down. We sailed down in 1999 and stayed in La Paz, returning to the US for 1/2 the year each year.

Paulina - 10-27-2009 at 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
I think Fred Hoctor would approve.

http://www.bajanomad.com/columnists/fhoctor/

:yes:

BajaGringo - 10-27-2009 at 07:51 PM

We saw some of them sailing by this afternoon while working on the house...

Edie H. - 10-27-2009 at 08:31 PM

My husband Steve, his brother Marc, and a friend from Seal Beach Yacht Club Mike, is currently between San Quintin & Cedros on our S/V Andalucia heading for Turtle Bay with the BajaHaHa fleet. We made the same trip last year with the Baja HaHa but lost our rigging after the first leg. Now that she is all put back together, we are finally fulfilling a life long dream. I'll hopefully be meeting up with them in Mazatlan next month.:yes:

DavidT - 10-27-2009 at 09:03 PM

Or you could just FUBAR, relatively upright.
http://www.sdyc.org/fubar/

shari - 10-28-2009 at 07:10 AM

each year we watch them fly by Asuncion...usually with their chutes up...a gorgeous site. I monitor the vhf and we always end up helping a few boats in distress and some just stop in for a cerveza and to hang for a day...especially if there is no wind...that bunch really parties.

805gregg - 10-31-2009 at 07:58 AM

Why would you spend $350.00 to cruise down Baja? Total rip off. If you aren't prepared to go alone just forget it.

[Edited on 10-31-2009 by 805gregg]

Jack Swords - 10-31-2009 at 08:35 AM

Well Gregg, as one who signed up for the Bajahaha 11 years ago, we enjoyed the crew parties, the great information, and, most importantly, the comradeship of fellow cruisers. The ability to make acqaintances with folks heading down has made enduring friendships to this day. We still have our boat in Marina de la Paz as do many others who did the HaHa. We sail with some, meet others out at the islands, and continue our friendships originating from the HaHa gettogethers. Our life is certainly richer for the experience. I doubt that your would find otherwise from any participant.

Incidentally, we did decide to sail down on our own over a month after the HaHa left, preferring solitary anchorages and quiet passages.

ElFaro - 10-31-2009 at 11:03 AM

I guess not everyone is enjoying the rally...

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/33534466/ns/local_news-san_diego...

Edie H. - 10-31-2009 at 01:23 PM

Jack was right about the friends you meet along the way with the same interests and destinations. It's all about enjoying the trip and making a lot of memories. The article you quoted in the San Diego news was incorrect. They sailed into a pod of whales who decided for some unknown reason to attack the rudder of their boat. They sank in 5 mins with little time to do much except scramble to get in their life raft and set off the EPIRB. Here's the link to Lectronic Lattitude for Oct. 29th.

http://www.latitude38.com/lectronic/lectronicday.lasso?date=...

Edie H. - 10-31-2009 at 01:27 PM

BTW Shari, you should see the fleet passing by you today in great numbers. They set sail this morning from Turtle Bay on their way to Bahia Santa Maria hopefully by tomo at sunset.
:yes:

David K - 10-31-2009 at 03:28 PM

HI EDIE!!!

How are you? Long time, no see!

[Edited on 10-31-2009 by David K]

Edie H. - 10-31-2009 at 03:44 PM

Hi David!
I know it's been a long time. We were on the 2008 BajaHaHa until we ran into a freak Santa Ana on the first leg of the trip and lost all our rigging to Capt. Davies locker. We had to limp (4 days as a powerboat) back to San Diego where the Andalucia spent a grueling 5 mos. in Shelter Island Boat Yard getting put back together. We finished all the rest while in a slip in Long Beach. Steve, his brother Marc and a friend Mike from our yacht club our currently heading to Baja Santa Maria after leaving Turtle Bay this morning. They just caught a 25# tuna which they plan on eating tomo when they get into BSM. We have a blog that you can click on the right side to see their location on Winlink. Steve plans to update every 6 hrs if the ham radio can get out (lots of other boats doing the same thing with communication). Here's the link to our blog if you want to follow them:

http://svandalucia.blogspot.com/

They had a really grueling first leg (3 days) because of that front that came through.....10-15 ft seas and 20-30 knots of constant wind. It was still blowing 20 knots this morning when they left but he says that it's now turned into powerboat weather....no wind and 2-3 ft. swells.
I noticed that you got married. Congrats and happy Baja...ing to you both!!!

Bajahowodd - 10-31-2009 at 03:49 PM

I don't see Eddie in the photo.:tumble:

David K - 10-31-2009 at 03:56 PM

I just looked... they are very close to Bahia Asuncion now!

Got married July 18, 2008 to Elizabeth (Baja Angel)... she is awesome and loves Baja! Thank you!!

Photo of you above is from President's Day Weekend 2004 on Shell Island... during the Matomi Canyon/ Nuevo Mazatlan camping trip. http://vivabaja.com/204 Good Fun for all the Nomads there!

Edie H. - 10-31-2009 at 04:13 PM

That sure was a fun trip (cold!!!) and I think so fondly of really getting to know Mike H. and the other Baja Nomads on that trip. I'm glad that Baja Angel enjoys Baja as much as you. We have met so many wonderful people along our travels there. After the demasting, we met a wonderful couple who helped us (including doing laundry in their home) while we figured out what to do to get the Andalucia back home. It's always amazed me what a bad rap Baja gets from people who have no idea how wonderful it is there. We never had a thought of not going back again even with all the work it took to get the boat back to what it is today. Steve plans on sailing to Mazatlan and then home for the holidays before we both fly back and continue on down the coast.

shari - 11-1-2009 at 07:46 AM

yup...saw lots of boats yesterday afternoon having nice leisurly sail in the 15 knot NE breeze...probably a welcome change from the blows the days before.

805gregg - 11-4-2009 at 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack Swords
Well Gregg, as one who signed up for the Bajahaha 11 years ago, we enjoyed the crew parties, the great information, and, most importantly, the comradeship of fellow cruisers. The ability to make acqaintances with folks heading down has made enduring friendships to this day. We still have our boat in Marina de la Paz as do many others who did the HaHa. We sail with some, meet others out at the islands, and continue our friendships originating from the HaHa gettogethers. Our life is certainly richer for the experience. I doubt that your would find otherwise from any participant.

Did you pay $350? Why couldn't you meet and party with the other cruisers if you didn't "sign up"? I'm just saying it used to be a free deal.

Incidentally, we did decide to sail down on our own over a month after the HaHa left, preferring solitary anchorages and quiet passages.

Jack Swords - 11-5-2009 at 07:25 AM

Wow, this is still here? Greg, I believe 10 years ago it was around 100 dollars. The sponsor, Latitude 38, held parties and the like. They had a gift bag with a burgee, some T shirts, etc. Probably not $100 worth, but lots of info. There is a beach party halfway, one at the end. Communications provided by the "mothership" for those who need it. the assemblage of the "fleet" has provided doctors to assist injuries, serious gear failure etc. For a newby in Mexico it has its advantages. Maybe there is more now, maybe not. For the gregarious it is fine, we preferred the solo voyage. One could probably look at the caravan thread and see some similarities.

The Haha

BajaRob - 11-5-2009 at 07:46 AM

is great fun. I based my Tayana 52 " Windstalker " at Marina de La Paz from 1988 to 1991 and participated each year. One of the highlights was a tacking duel that we had with the Ocean 71 " Saint Elmos Fire ". We visited with Mac & Mary Shroyer last year and they still look the same as they did all those years ago.