Sharksbaja - 11-6-2009 at 03:58 PM

Surfs up! 35 ft waves reported

http://cil-www.oce.orst.edu/yhead/latest.c0.snap.jpg

Fred - 11-6-2009 at 05:12 PM

Is that just before Gold Beach?

DENNIS - 11-6-2009 at 05:13 PM

Looks nasty wherever it is.

Bajahowodd - 11-6-2009 at 05:21 PM

For 360 days a years it's majorly chilly. But undeniably beautiful 365.

Sharksbaja - 11-6-2009 at 06:51 PM

Looking south from Yaquina Head. You can see the jetty and bridge in this photo shot when the surf was 10'+ recently.

Here is an Oregonhowodd photo; :lol:

Russ - 11-6-2009 at 08:56 PM

Reminds me of the three days I tried to surf fish Asuncion:o

24baja - 11-7-2009 at 01:37 AM

Beautiful pics Sharks!

mulegemichael - 11-7-2009 at 04:43 AM

looks nasty, corky....come on down; our little town is getting itself back together fast...and the weather has been fabulous!....in asuncion today looking for tuna..

shari - 11-7-2009 at 07:01 AM

buoy weather says a 10' swell will visit here tomorrow...surfs up woody!

Mexitron - 11-7-2009 at 11:30 AM

Took this when I was living in Bandon three years ago---our guess was twenty-five to thirty feet using the rocks and cliff as scale:

DENNIS - 11-7-2009 at 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
Took this when I was living in Bandon three years ago---our guess was twenty-five to thirty feet using the rocks and cliff as scale:

What you need is a suicidal surfer in that wave to give it scale.

vgabndo - 11-7-2009 at 02:45 PM

How Odd, I judging that you've never lived on the Oregon coast. To claim that only five days a year are not "majorly" chilly is really a sort of LA LA Land attitude. I project that this is the kind of attitude that spawned the bumpersnickers "Don't Californicate Oregon"

There is only one difference between your claim and a 'Gonian claiming that there were only five days a year when the air quality in Orange County wouldn't gag a maggot. The difference being that the Oregonian would be pretty close to correct. That, and there is VERY little beauty left between Bakersfield and Mexico.

I find it interesting that if the same storm now routinely battering the NW coast was occurring in Texas, they'd give it a name, call it a hurricane, and everyone would be running around wringing their hands. I'm proud of my resilient neighbors to the north! Very impressive Corky.

Barry A. - 11-7-2009 at 03:10 PM

Beautiful, but Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!! "Chilly" is a relative statement. Heck, I lived in San Diego for 30 years and froze the whole time, so you know where I am coming from.

I have NEVER been warm on the Oregon Coast, even in August, but the beauty is astounding.

Barry (from Redding, CA where it is just warm enough-----previously spent 13 years in El Centro-------now THAT is nice weather!!)

DianaT - 11-7-2009 at 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Beautiful, but Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!! "Chilly" is a relative statement. Heck, I lived in San Diego for 30 years and froze the whole time, so you know where I am coming from.

I have NEVER been warm on the Oregon Coast, even in August, but the beauty is astounding.

Barry (from Redding, CA where it is just warm enough-----previously spent 13 years in El Centro-------now THAT is nice weather!!)

Redding and El Centro- nice weather? I thought I wouldn't survive the heat living in Calexico for five years. ---- it is all relative. OK, after dark in the Spring and Fall, the weather in Calexico was nice. :biggrin:

I loved the weather when we lived in Crescent City, Calfiornia, just south of the Oregon coast----and the weather changed about every 15 minutes.

Love the Oregon Coast and those are great photos---but about those sneaker waves you have there-----didn't believe it until John was almost taken off a VERY tall cliff by one.

[Edited on 11-7-2009 by DianaT]

wiltonh - 11-7-2009 at 04:12 PM

That is a great spot on the Oregon Coast. I broke a mast on a windsurfer just a little further out than the pictures shows. The water temp. was 52 and I was wearing a lite wetsuit.

The first guy to come by offered to take my sail back to shore. He was the one that had sold me the mast.

The next guy to come by said you are way to far out for me to pull you back in so I will give you a piece of line in case someone else decides to help.

The third person to stop was a young woman. She asked me what happened and then said I will pull you back in. I asked her if she was sure and she said I have done it a number of times before. She had an uphaul line which we tied to the one I had been given. We then tied that to my mast base and to her back foot strap. She then loosened her boom and lowered it about 6 to 8 inches. This allowed her to sail in a sitting position which gave her a lot more control when the rope came tight.

I was probably about a mile from shore at that point and she pull me in to the breakers, only falling once. That was some incredible sailing. She asked me my name and told me hers. She was Ruth from Hood River.

Later I tried to look her up but could never find her to say thank you.

Wilton

Mexitron - 11-7-2009 at 04:21 PM

Vagabundo--actually the air quality in Orange Co is usually pretty nice--the EPA has really cleaned up the air in the LA Basin over the last 30 years.

No beauty between Bakersfield and Mexico? Tehachapis, Wind Wolves Nature preserve, Hwy 33 into Ojai, Highway 199 over to SLO town, Santa Monica Mountains, Poppy Preserve, Caspers Park in Orange County--with the densest population of cougars probably in the US and a bioreserve stretching from the Santa Ana mountains to the ocean, Aliso Canyon, Laguna Canyon, some of the best beaches in the world along the south coast, Mission Trails Park, etc., etc.

Sharksbaja - 11-7-2009 at 04:24 PM

Yep Wil those guys, oops, and gals are amazing and hardy folks. Unfortunately we lose visitors to the mighty sea regularly. It's a nasty ocean for sure.

We get quite a few windsurfers looking for healthy food after a long day. I've seen a few blue ones.;)

Corky...

Pompano - 11-8-2009 at 05:40 AM

As you know, I love the Oregon Coast...BUT...even when it's calm, it's rough!

Calm of the bay

Sharksbaja - 11-8-2009 at 05:56 PM

No kidding Rog! As much as we love the coast and have always lived/worked on one, it's a different story here. It's not very fulltime friendly along the Pacific Ocean here as most know. That is why we live inland.:yes:

I know more than a few folks who own(ed) coastal front second homes for years as a retreat or vacation home with plans to retire in them.

It only took one year to decide to move inland after one season of big storms.:wow:

Horizontal rain/wind/fog/chill for months on end ain't for everyone!:wow::lol:

We have here what I refer to as "The UV Fog" It occurs regularly in the summer months. It looks like normal coastal fog but will burn anyone who doesn't protect themselves.

I've seen thousands of burned people that only spent a couple hours walking along the beach in the UV fog.

One time some tourists who reside on Kauai and had deep Hawaiian tans came in and were in complete shock and awe when they got burned on the foggy Oregon coast.

Very strange indeed.

Here is a shot from summer of Yaquina Bay:

CALMBAY.jpg - 35kB

Natural Beauty in Southern California

Skipjack Joe - 11-10-2009 at 02:02 PM

I got permission from Steve to post this landscape in the Los Angeles area. I saw it several weeks ago and was greatly impressed. Steve lives in SoCal and keeps coming up with images like this from an area many of us consider impoverished.

Los-Angeles-Fall_Posterfram.jpg - 49kB

vgabndo - 11-10-2009 at 02:34 PM

Mexitron (and others) Ok, you're right, but I still think it is like saying that Charles Manson has pretty eyes. It doesn't quite make up for the rest of the picture. Remember that my comparison is with where I live. Population density= 6/sq. mi. Twenty-five pristine high mountain lakes within 20 miles, and when you get there, there MAY be a couple of other people there. You can't SEE the air, ever,ever, period.
There are a lot of places I'll confidently drink the surface water if I need to. I'm just spoiled rotten. I wonder if the residents of Bakersdiego understand the amount of effort a lot of people will expend to get to Baja without subjecting themselves to that sprawling megalopolis.

Knowing that Bakersdiego doesn't have its own water, though, and how far away it is from here, I still flush twice just to help out.:lol:

LancairDriver - 11-10-2009 at 02:48 PM

Quote:
I was just observing waves in Bandon yesterday that probably exceeded the ones in Mexitrons picture. Sorry I didn't have my camera along. Nary a surfer twit to be seen out in that stuff.

Port Awful, just to the south of Bandon had waves breaking over the dock. Not many sport fisherman out on the ocean lately.

The Oregon Coast is 'the banana belt' compared to Port of Fargo.

Pompano - 11-10-2009 at 03:17 PM

:rolleyes:

Port of Fargo, ND.jpg - 44kB

Santiago - 11-10-2009 at 04:04 PM

Quote:
Caspers Park in Orange County--with the densest population of cougars probably in the US

You clearly have never been to Buck Owen's Crystal Palace in Bakersfield on a Thursday evening. It's downright scary in there:dudette: