BajaNomad

Latest San Ysidro crossing info

Jack Swords - 11-14-2009 at 08:00 AM

Leaving for our annual 6 month trip the day after Thanksgiving. What new changes are at the border? We always cross at 7 AM, going into "Declare" lane, stop, get FMTs (usually walk down to the main office), pay at the bank, and we're on our way. Any recent changes to that?

How about the US side? New checks?

Thanks!

Santiago - 11-14-2009 at 08:01 AM

Early October that was the drill. No change that I could see northbound.

lizard lips - 11-14-2009 at 08:15 AM

You will be fine Jack. Excellent time to cross and no changes other than NICE aduana employees.

k-rico - 11-14-2009 at 08:19 AM

The Mexicans are progressing in their goal of more stringent southbound inspections. Last week the swinging arm gates were working and there were officals stopping all cars momentarily prior to reaching the gate while the car ahead was going through. They still are not yet questioning all drivers. After leaving the gate the cars were funneled into two lanes with more inspectors watching as you drove by. They've also added speed bump like things to the pavement after you leave the gate to slow things down.

The result, a moderate backup at a non rush hour time. Forget about crossing south on weekday afternoons unless you have to or like to wait in lines.

losfrailes - 11-14-2009 at 08:33 AM

Crossed on Saturday the 7th of November, at roughly 2 p.m.

No wait, waved thru, nothing unusual.

Sunman - 11-14-2009 at 09:38 AM

Crossed Sat. the 7th also at 0645, got waved in for inspection (Camper on back), took all of about 1.5 minutes and I was on my way. Crossed at SY last night 34 minute wait :o that's a record for me, was prepared for the worst.

DENNIS - 11-14-2009 at 09:45 AM

Seems it's no longer the dreaded red light that travelers fear, it's the waving arm of the inspectors motioning you to the side for a look.

woody with a view - 11-14-2009 at 09:51 AM

do they choke down 5 lanes into 2 during rush hour?

David K - 11-14-2009 at 09:53 AM

Southbound: Pulling into the Secondary parking ('Something to Declare' lane) last July, for FM-Ts what was different than the last time we did this:

Electronic gate arm, that automatically opens when you get to it (otherwise looks like the lane is closed for construction).

After getting our FM-Ts (no change, same procedure as before), we expected to drive on out of the covered secondary area, with the punch of the button for the red/ green light...

Oh, no... the officials said for us to get into the line of people who were declaring and paying tariff (even though I told him we were only gettng tourist cards and have nothing to declare), all so the officer could search our truck...

THEN he had me walk over to the button... got a green light... we left... This was on a Saturday, late morning... added maybe 45 minutes. I wondered what he would have done if I got a red light... since he already searched my truck?

So, if you guys are crossing when it is busy... maybe park past the border and walk back to INM... or just play the game in Secondary? Things may be different now... they were in a state of construction.

Cyanide41 - 11-15-2009 at 08:52 AM

You didn't see him grabbing a pair of latex gloves did you?

Bajahowodd - 11-15-2009 at 02:03 PM

Our experience was sismilar to David's. After getting FM-Ts, I drove toward the exit and was stopped by an officer who asked me to get in line behind other vehicles they were searching. I waived the FM-Ts at him, and he motioned us through. I'm thinking they may believe that people consciencious enogh to stop for the visas are way less likely to be carrying contraband.

DENNIS - 11-15-2009 at 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
I'm thinking they may believe that people consciencious enogh to stop for the visas are way less likely to be carrying contraband.

I'm thinking there's no rhyme or reason for most anything that happens in that place. Just when you think you have it figuered out, they do something different. Usually, all of it will defy logic. That's where they getcha.

msteve1014 - 11-15-2009 at 04:11 PM

I went down a few weeks ago, got the green light, got waved in anyway. The inspector made small talk as he opened all 20 or so boxes in the bed of my truck. He saw the new oak bed frame, and all the household goods I had. He saw the 12 gallons of paint I had and said "that's a nice color for a house". I don't know what he was hoping to find, but he just was not interested in what I had.

DENNIS - 11-15-2009 at 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by msteve1014
He saw the 12 gallons of paint I had and said "that's a nice color for a house".

That's what I mean when I say, "Defying logic." Did you get his name? I want to request his attention.

"That's a nice color for a house?".....I don't know what to say.

Bajahowodd - 11-15-2009 at 04:30 PM

I dunno, but since there's a Home Depot and a WalMart in Ensenada, I just don't understand the need to haul 12 gallons of paint across the border.

msteve1014 - 11-15-2009 at 05:15 PM

Quote:
I dunno, but since there's a Home Depot and a WalMart in Ensenada, I just don't understand the need to haul 12 gallons of paint across the border.

Mostly it is so we can load the truck and drive to where I am going. Not stop and shop on the first day of a vacation. I cross the border early.

DENNIS - 11-15-2009 at 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by msteve1014
Mostly it is so we can load the truck and drive to where I am going. Not stop and shop on the first day of a vacation. I cross the border early.

Good luck, Steve. Hope you pass well.

woody with a view - 11-15-2009 at 05:52 PM

just like at the military checkpoints, they are more concerned with ALL THE STUFF YOU CARRY!!!!

they're like tweekers, they just wanna dive in like it was a overflowing dumpster...........

i'm just saying!

[Edited on 11-16-2009 by woody in ob]

msteve1014 - 11-15-2009 at 06:04 PM

I forgot to mention, after opening every box in the bed of the truck, he never even looked inside the crew cab. Where all the booze rides.

ncampion - 11-15-2009 at 08:27 PM

Crossed a couple weeks ago in my Yukon XL loaded with "stuff" nothing illegal. Got a red light (I think) and it was too crowded to easily pull over so just kept going real slow. Went right past the guy who normally waves you over, he didn't do a thing so I kept on going and here I am in Loreto.

DENNIS - 11-15-2009 at 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ncampion
Crossed a couple weeks ago in my Yukon XL loaded with "stuff" nothing illegal. Got a red light (I think) and it was too crowded to easily pull over so just kept going real slow. Went right past the guy who normally waves you over, he didn't do a thing so I kept on going and here I am in Loreto.

Sometimes, ya gotta love chaos.

Dave - 11-15-2009 at 11:20 PM

Quote:

You obviously have little experience using Mexican paint.:rolleyes:

Dianamo - 11-16-2009 at 06:55 AM

how early can I get an FM-T at San Ysidro? I want to cross at dawn, but I don't want to go the Ensenada office (never been, and don't want the headache because of everything I've heard on this board)!

DENNIS - 11-16-2009 at 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave

Actually, the improved Berel brand is comparable to Behr in quality although a bit higher in price. Just bought 5 gallons, colored and mixed for around 1700 Ps. It covers really well.

msteve1014 - 11-16-2009 at 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dianamo
how early can I get an FM-T at San Ysidro? I want to cross at dawn, but I don't want to go the Ensenada office (never been, and don't want the headache because of everything I've heard on this board)!

I think it is open 24 hours. I have been there at 4:30am, no problems.

Thanks, msteve1014 !

Dianamo - 11-16-2009 at 05:55 PM

Jack Swords - 11-16-2009 at 05:58 PM

But, you will have to walk back to the main immigration office which is next to the pedestrian turnstile. They are there 24 hours. The little office in the Declare lane is not open until sufficient coffee is ingested. It is a short walk.

tjBill - 12-6-2009 at 01:00 AM

Crossed last Friday evening at 6:00pm and the wait was 1 1/2 hours to enter Mexico. Line extremely slow. :mad:

Upon reaching customs, the cars entering Mexico started honking their horns in unison.

DENNIS - 12-6-2009 at 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tjBill
Crossed last Friday evening at 6:00pm and the wait was 1 1/2 hours to enter Mexico. Line extremely slow. :mad:

Upon reaching customs, the cars entering Mexico started honking their horns in unison.

I think when Customs is tired of playing with their new toys, things will settle down. If not, they can put their department of tourism on permanant leave.
It would be interesting to know how much interdiction is taking place as a result of this nonsense. I'm betting very little.

bajabass - 12-7-2009 at 08:08 AM

I think they will stay tight until after the holidays at least. Then, maybe they will ease up a bit. Probably a lot of duty to be made around Christmas. It is getting to be a real pain. I get to work at 6:30 on Fridays, work 6 to 8 hours, then leave Orange for La Mision. My normal 2 hours and 20 minute drive, is averaging a little over 3 now. I try to leave by 1 now, or I am just going to wait until 5 the next morning. Makes getting on the water early impossible:mad:

Crossed Yesterday, Sunday, 2pm

Gypsy Jan - 12-7-2009 at 08:58 AM

Going south, returning from shopping in San Diego.

Very little wait in the "Nothing to Declare Lanes", four cars ahead of us in our lane.

We were diverted to secondary, rolled down all our windows, chatted with the very friendly inspectors, mostly because they had questions about our dog, mistaking him for a "galgo", a greyhound.

No inspection other than looking in the window (we had thirteen bags of dog food in the back).

We exchanged "Feliz Navidad" wishes and were waved on. This diversion took less than four minutes.

DENNIS - 12-7-2009 at 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
they had questions about our dog, mistaking him for a "galgo", a greyhound.

Is there a problem with Greyhounds?

I Don't Think There is Any Problem With Greyhounds

Gypsy Jan - 12-7-2009 at 09:18 AM

They were just curious about what kind of dog he is (he's a Great Dane and his ears are natural, not cut, and his muzzle is fairly sleek - he doesn't have droopy, drooly Marmaduke lips).

This is a conversation we often have with locals, I am guessing that this is because the Mexicans in Tijuana are familiar with the big billboards advertising the dog racing at Caliente.

fandango - 12-7-2009 at 03:45 PM

what is crossing southbound at san ysidro like on a saturday noon time?

Petey - 12-7-2009 at 05:37 PM

I'm planning on crossing early on Wednesday at either San Ysidro or Tecate. In drier conditions I'd choose Tecate over San Ysidro, but I'm a little concerned over the possible condition of Hwy 3 after this rainstorm passes through - lot of dirt and construction near the southern end when I came through heading north last month. OTOH I've heard a few stories of difficulties & waits at SY lately- including someone who was sent back to San Diego b/c their dog's health cert was 1 day too old. (I have 2 dogs along for the ride).

Any news, thoughts or opinions welcome! Which way should I go?

Woooosh - 12-7-2009 at 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:

Home Depots in Mexico sell their BEHR brand now. Not sure it's the same formulation.

Love that paint... and with the 45MPH winds sandblasting my house right now- I'll probably need some when this storm is over.

[Edited on 12-8-2009 by Woooosh]

DENNIS - 12-7-2009 at 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Woooosh

Home Depots in Mexico sell their BEHR brand now. Not sure it's the same formulation.

Same paint, Wooosh,... it's imported. Great paint. Cost a bit more here but, if you want the best ya gotta kick down and quit worrying about the small stuff.
Another brand at HD is a home grown item, BEREL. It used to be trash but, no more. Quality is high and you can save around thirty percent on cost over BEHR. Mixes well for your color and covers well. I use it and like it a lot.

DENNIS - 12-7-2009 at 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Petey
I'm planning on crossing early on Wednesday at either San Ysidro or Tecate. In drier conditions I'd choose Tecate over San Ysidro, but I'm a little concerned over the possible condition of Hwy 3 after this rainstorm passes through - lot of dirt and construction near the southern end when I came through heading north last month. OTOH I've heard a few stories of difficulties & waits at SY lately- including someone who was sent back to San Diego b/c their dog's health cert was 1 day too old. (I have 2 dogs along for the ride).

Hi Petey...........Don't know where you're coming from so I'll just guess...and in doing that, I'll say go through Tecate. A few miles of road work won't compare with thirty minutes of nonsense at TJ.
Always take the road of least resistance in Baja.
Nice to see you here and Buen Viaje.

Petey - 12-7-2009 at 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by Petey

We're heading down from LA - Tecate has been a favorite avoid-the-hassle strategy for me for a while- it's pretty much mandatory when heading north! Plus I like to pick up wine in the Valle de Guadalupe. I'm just wondering if enough rain fell to create issues in the construction zone - I don't want to spend hours crawling through the mud. Still, though in rained all day up here, it seems like its already over. I'm hoping rainfall was less in San Diego and Baja Norte, so perhaps with some sun on Tuesday it'll dry out enough to make it a non-issue on Wednesday! Looks like the rain coming in on Thursday might be another matter -but we'll be far south by then.

Hi Petey...........Don't know where you're coming from so I'll just guess...and in doing that, I'll say go through Tecate. A few miles of road work won't compare with thirty minutes of nonsense at TJ.
Always take the road of least resistance in Baja.
Nice to see you here and Buen Viaje.

k-rico - 12-8-2009 at 01:34 PM

Just crossed southbound (TJ) at about 11:30 AM. A couple of cars in line, that's all. Smooth sailing.

The back-up happens (for sure) during weekdays when commuters are returning to TJ after work. Avoid weekdays 3 PM - 7 PM.

Northbound Sentri at 10:30 AM was about 15 minutes.