BajaNomad

Baja Nomad Dia de Reyes Toy Drive 2010

Pages:  1  2

The Gull - 12-19-2009 at 10:31 PM

Arrowhead and Whoosh should just about have $10 between them, but they are likely not considerate enough to reach out and help a Mexican Child.

Good luck Ferna, hope the card gets to the address you gave me by Tuesday or Wednesday.

fdt - 12-19-2009 at 11:04 PM

Thank you Gull, I'm sure it will be there.

fdt - 12-19-2009 at 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Oso

Now all y'all have a right merry crissmus, hear?

Or have a Happy Yule y'all.

'subscribe'

Ken Cooke - 12-20-2009 at 02:31 AM

I will do my part from the USA. I cannot cross the border until 9/2010...

Presents

wessongroup - 12-20-2009 at 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ELINVESTI8

That's looks really nice

wessongroup - 12-20-2009 at 04:53 AM

What are the totals for this morning?.. can we get any matched contributions?.. or pledges for amounts to be matched?:):)

I will match anyone that puts up $50 USD

fdt - 12-20-2009 at 09:10 AM

We received $48.25 this morning, the sender sent $50 so it counts as $50.
I don't mention names but the donor knows who I'm talking about. Thanks
One thing I can say is that of the people that have contributed only 4 are new contributors, the others have always been there to help on this event.

The Gull - 12-20-2009 at 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup
I will match anyone that puts up $50 USD

Careful it could get expensive, Dennis already offered $100 which I matched with a gift card, then he offered $200, but it looks like he hasn't gotten the PayPal thing to work at his end.

wessongroup - 12-20-2009 at 09:26 AM

Well, let's see if we can get some action from the fence sitters.. this should be very easy for all.. just 5 or 10 dollars would put this over the top in one day...

It's only once a year for these little folks...

Let's put some bigger numbers on the board !!!:):)

DENNIS - 12-20-2009 at 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by The Gull
Careful it could get expensive, Dennis already offered $100 which I matched with a gift card, then he offered $200, but it looks like he hasn't gotten the PayPal thing to work at his end.

I just reverted to the good ol' fashioned check book. 200 BUCKS is in the mail.
Good for you, Gull, for throwing down the gauntlet.
Next year perhaps, we can choose up teams and have some healthy competition for the kids.

DENNIS - 12-20-2009 at 09:55 AM

Quote:

Good luck Ferna, hope the card gets to the address you gave me by Tuesday or Wednesday.

There's still time. The event doesn't happen untill Jan. 10.

DENNIS - 12-20-2009 at 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
I don't mention names but the donor knows who I'm talking about. Thanks

Perhaps names without amounts should be mentioned. It's kinda like joining a club and who doesn't want to be associated with a winning effort.
Just a thought.

fdt - 12-20-2009 at 10:32 AM

I think it's fine like it is with no names.

THANK YOU!

ELINVESTIG8R - 12-20-2009 at 10:40 AM

Santiago - 12-20-2009 at 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
I think it's fine like it is with no names.

Ferna: you are correct, names would not be correct. If people want to post what they've sent in, that's OK with me and while some may think of it as boasting (it may well be) I think it does cause some of us to get off our butts and help out. In the spirit of some of the friendly competition here, I suggest a compromise: simply post a breakdown of the donations similar to what you did in an earlier post. Those who only wish to send in $10 will see that others have done the same and not feel that that amount is too little to bother with.
If 400 kids show up we're talking at least $10,000 in cash and donated gifts, folks.
Here's what I've done to spread the word:
Posted a link to Ferna's Youtube on my Facebook wall and encourage my 'friends' to donate if they can. So far I think Ferna's got a couple that way. Sent an e-mail to my family and friends to pick up 1 gift when they hit the 'after Xmas' sales and I will pick it up from them on my way south. Hopefully I'll have a dozen or so gifts for the toy drive. If only 50 of us do something like this Ferna's going to feel a lot better, and so will the kids.

The Gull - 12-20-2009 at 06:55 PM

Quote:

You're not shocked are you? Why not put one's money where one's mouth is?

Jan 10 is still a long way off for those who have not taken the opportunity to contribute something for these children.
In these economic times, they are the most likely to get hurt.

ELINVESTIG8R - 12-20-2009 at 07:07 PM

Quote:
Quote:

You're not shocked are you? Why not put one's money where one's mouth is?

Jan 10 is still a long way off for those who have not taken the opportunity to contribute something for these children.
In these economic times, they are the most likely to get hurt.

Gull I have.

fdt - 12-20-2009 at 07:11 PM

I posted a donation of 50 after the initial post of were we were. Today we received an echeck that should clear by the 23rd in the ammount of $50. Outside of that, nada mas.
There are a couple of promises to send gift cards in the mail and a check from someone else and I'll report as soon as we have it.
Let me set something straight, it's about toys for these children and one meal. That's it, nothing else. I think that a little over 4 years ago when Mr. Baja Nomad and myself met and discussed th posibility of doing an event like this, neither one of us imagined that it grow to a possible 400. In any case, it will happen!
Fernando

ELINVESTI8

The Gull - 12-20-2009 at 07:11 PM

I had you figured for one of the good guys who would help.:yes::yes:

Apparently, there is still capacity for donations from others who have not taken the opportunity to do so.

ELINVESTIG8R - 12-20-2009 at 07:45 PM

The handshake thingy was meant as kudos for how you two put aside differences for the sake of the kids I loved it.

ELINVESTI8

The Gull - 12-20-2009 at 08:21 PM

Differences with Mennis? Where did you get that impression? I'm happy he picked up the gauntlet. Wish more would.

DENNIS - 12-21-2009 at 09:13 AM

BUMP

wessongroup - 12-21-2009 at 09:21 AM

BUMP

bigjohn - 12-21-2009 at 11:43 AM

Fernando,

I am shipping some 7 lacrosse Micro-T sticks, 4 small baseball & softball bats, 2 dozen softballs, 4 ball caps (2 Angels, 2 Mets), and a youth baseball glove to Nidia @ Jackson Hewitt via UPS today. It should arrive tomorrow.

Big John

wessongroup - 12-21-2009 at 12:02 PM

Fernando,

what is the number???

fdt - 12-21-2009 at 12:03 PM

Thank you very much. Be sure to include a note "For Toy Drive".

oldlady - 12-21-2009 at 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup
Fernando,

what is the number???

Not enough...c'mon group....pull some of that cash from under the mattress...it ain't gonna be worth anything next year anyway.

DENNIS - 12-21-2009 at 12:35 PM

Ferna.....

To whom should checks be made out to?

wessongroup - 12-21-2009 at 02:21 PM

bump

fdt - 12-21-2009 at 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Ferna.....

To whom should checks be made out to?

I answered your U2U

fdt - 12-21-2009 at 04:12 PM

Thank you guys for the bumps. We received $250 on paypal and we have a promise for $500 in the mail that I know will come.
Today is a very decisive day. we have to define if we go to Rosarito or just do the whole event in Tijuana. As we stand now, the ammounts needed to do Rosarito, considering the number of children (262 up to now) are huge, in toys, transportation, buses, food, diesel and other incidentals.
Regardless the same kids will be benefited and the event, the "Baja Nomad Dia de Reyes Toy Drive" will happen!
I will inform you all at the end of the day.
Saludos
Fernando

oldlady - 12-21-2009 at 08:21 PM

Bump...still time.

wessongroup - 12-22-2009 at 06:27 AM

what are the numbers?

fdt - 12-22-2009 at 06:58 AM

With the 95.80 we received yesterday we are at 974.05. We have 2 gifts promised in the mail.
We did not decide yesterday if it's Rosarito but it will be done today. I don't have a total toy count as of right now, I will know when I go to Chula Vista today.

Oso - 12-22-2009 at 08:55 AM

Toys R Us card in the mail yesterday. Hopefully the USPS mule will make it over the hill in time for the after Xmas sales.

Santiago - 12-22-2009 at 09:03 AM

I've been informed that there is now a $10 fine for any post with a mispelling between now and the end of the year. All fines are to be paid to the toy drive. Honor system of course.
MTFBWY.

wessongroup - 12-22-2009 at 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Santiago
I've been informed that there is now a $10 fine for any post with a mispelling between now and the end of the year. All fines are to be paid to the toy drive. Honor system of course.
MTFBWY.

now this will really slow things up, don't tell grammar is next...

ELINVESTIG8R - 12-23-2009 at 02:47 PM

Hi everyone, please give if you can. If you can't for whatever reason it is ok too. I am so happy that I am a Baja Nomadian because I am part of all of you wonderful people. I also love it when we all come together and put aside our differences for this great cause. Fernando and his family do a wonderful job keeping it all together and for that I say "Thank You Fernando and Family."

fdt - 12-23-2009 at 03:53 PM

Ditto! Thank you all for allowing us to be a part of this community.

fdt - 12-24-2009 at 07:25 AM

Another way you can help is if when you go shopping you purchase a gift card and mail it to us and we do the shoping depending on age of the children.
U2U me for an address were to mail it to. http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=43153

fdt - 12-25-2009 at 02:24 PM

We wish you all a Very Merry Christmas.
Fernando Garcia y familia

ELINVESTIG8R - 12-25-2009 at 05:06 PM

Merry Christmas to you Fernando and Family!

BajaNomad - 12-25-2009 at 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
Our main bicycle donor has 8 more bikes ready to go but they are in San Diego, freeway close by 805 and 52. Is there any posibility that someone on their way down can help bring them?
Did you get these brought south already? And is that to Tijuana or Chula Vista?

Thanks,
-
Doug

Santiago - 12-26-2009 at 11:08 AM

Flowers: we will have 2 or 3 large plastic trash bags full of various toys. Someone asked me if coats were OK but told them no, just toys. Is this right? Also we've included enough paper, tape, ribbons to wrap them. If everyone includes enough paper to wrap their gifts then Ferna won't have to buy them.
Will contact you on our ETA - we'll try to run the border ourselves.

DENNIS - 12-26-2009 at 11:49 AM

Quote:
Someone asked me if coats were OK but told them no, just toys. Is this right?

A couple of years ago, I went to WalMart and bought all the stocking caps they had. The kids loved them and it was cold, so......

fdt - 12-27-2009 at 06:27 AM

Quote:
Flowers: we will have 2 or 3 large plastic trash bags full of various toys. Someone asked me if coats were OK but told them no, just toys. Is this right? Also we've included enough paper, tape, ribbons to wrap them. If everyone includes enough paper to wrap their gifts then Ferna won't have to buy them.
Will contact you on our ETA - we'll try to run the border ourselves.

Thank you.

Can someone help transport a few bikes from San Diego to Tijuana or the border?

fdt - 12-29-2009 at 09:34 PM

Our main bicycle donor has 8 more bikes ready to go but they are in San Diego, freeway close by 805 and 52. Is there any posibility that someone on their way down can help bring them?

BAJACAT - 12-29-2009 at 10:45 PM

Ferna, where it will be held, Rosarito or Tijuana, I need to let the people that donated the bikes where, so they can make their plans, at this point I don't know if there still interested in going, I will talk to them this friday..

fdt - 12-30-2009 at 06:28 PM

I'll know friday

fdt - 12-30-2009 at 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Did you get these brought south already? And is that to Tijuana or Chula Vista?

Thanks,
-
Doug

No, not yet, still waiting for someone to volunteer and it is to Tijuana and we can meet at the border if necesary.

BAJACAT - 12-30-2009 at 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
I'll know friday
OK thanks, I will take 4 bikes from mark this weekend I call you friday to let you know. I can make it to your house around 10:00 am on Saturday

fdt - 12-31-2009 at 12:02 PM

We'll be here. Thanks

BajaNomad - 1-1-2010 at 03:15 AM

Ferna,

Checking in here....

How are you doing on toys thus far?

Thanks,
-
Doug

fdt - 1-1-2010 at 06:10 PM

We still need more. We have one week left.

Santiago - 1-1-2010 at 07:42 PM

Ferna: check U2U or e-mail. I'm crossing Saturday afternoon (Jan 2) and have a dozen or so gifts. I have NO room for the bikes in SD. Sorry.

fdt - 1-2-2010 at 08:49 AM

Ok, I have your number, I'll call you.
Thanks.

DianaT - 1-2-2010 at 05:26 PM

Bump-----so many nomads, it should be easy to make sure all the children receive a nice gift.

BAJACAT - 1-3-2010 at 12:41 PM

Ferna here are the pix of the last 3 mikes that I have in my house, I will be takinmg this ones with me the day of the event.
20" BMX

20" BMX

16" BMX

THESE ARE ALL BOYS BIKES

fdt - 1-3-2010 at 03:13 PM

Thanks

DENNIS - 1-3-2010 at 03:20 PM

Cool bikes. These kids are going to love them. Hope they can hang on to them.

DianaT - 1-3-2010 at 08:07 PM

Are you close yet? How is it going?

ELINVESTIG8R - 1-3-2010 at 08:13 PM

BAJACAT Nice Bikes!:D

fdt - 1-3-2010 at 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Are you close yet? How is it going?

Very close but not quite there yet. We decided to hold the event in Tijuana to save money and because of logistics and busses and transporting food, toys and the additional responsibility of so many children. Tomorrow I should get confirmation on Mexicoach and I will need to know how many of you are going to be here for the event so we can plan it accordingly.

BAJACAT - 1-8-2010 at 11:14 PM

Ferna, what time should i be in colonia Buena Vista.. 10:00am I will have 4 bikes with me.

fdt - 1-9-2010 at 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
Ferna, what time should i be in colonia Buena Vista..

No, 9AM at Mexicoach bus terminal on Revolucion between 6th and 7th.

Update!

fdt - 1-9-2010 at 03:43 PM

We would like to thank all of the people that helped make this event possible with sending toys and paypal donations. You all know who you are.
Originaly we were going to do it all in Rosarito but logistics did not permit it (to much cost) and we had 262 children. Now we have to stop because of the time and the location in Chula Vista is closing so no more gifts can be delivered there.
Unfortunately we had to turn away 62 recipients so our number is now 200. It was just to much, next year we will be better. 200 is still a lot of kids and parents. We will have a lot of tamales (over 300), enough gifts for all and Rosca de Reyes. Mexicoach will be taking all of us attending the event and we will meet at the tourist bus terminal on Avenida Revolucion between 6th and 7th at 9AM, take a city tour, pick up toys and go up to Otay to the Parroquia de Nuestra Seņora de Guadalupe to the toy give away.
So it will be a great day tomorrow and we will post pictures.
If the price is not to high we are thinking of renting a big infatable bouncy house for the kids to have fun.
If you still want to participate, you can join us tomorrow and have a great day and we still have the paypal open.
paypal.com account using the special email we set up for this event:
" toydrive2010@ultimatebaja.com "

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&c...

DianaT - 1-9-2010 at 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt

Unfortunately we had to turn away 62 recipients so our number is now 200. It was just to much, next year we will be better.

We are truly disappointed. It is true that many of us have drives and participate in other charitable endeavors all over Baja and in the US. But with so many active members here, it would not have taken much.

Do enjoy tomorrow as we know you will and we look forward to the great pictures.

ELINVESTIG8R - 1-9-2010 at 03:49 PM

I can't wait to see the pictures of the smiles on the kid's faces and everyone else's smile.:D

I hope the kids that were turned away do get something from somewhere else! Sometimes it can't be helped when there is not enough to go around!:(

[Edited on 1-9-2010 by ELINVESTI8]

fdt - 1-9-2010 at 04:49 PM

Don't worry, we will make it a lot better next year!

BAJACAT - 1-9-2010 at 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
Quote:
Ferna, what time should i be in colonia Buena Vista..

No, 9AM at Mexicoach bus terminal on Revolucion between 6th and 7th.
I will be there at 9:00 AM. thanks ferna, and thank you all that contribute to make this happen, and yes I like to mention names, the bike project couldn't be possible if if wasn't for the help of Mark(GROVER).. Thank you my friend ...

fishbuck - 1-9-2010 at 08:59 PM

Where is the party for the kids?
And what time?
I might be able to make it!
How can I help?

fdt - 1-9-2010 at 11:16 PM

Thanks Mike I know you have to go flying at 11AM and that would be out of the schedule but we appreciate very much the offer.
Thanks everyone.
We just got back from wrapping the gifts and we are more than ready for a great day tomorrow.
Thank you Baja Nomads.

fdt - 1-10-2010 at 05:33 AM

Those interested can still send donations to a special

paypal.com account using the special email we set up for this event:
" toydrive2010@ultimatebaja.com "

Please tell all your friends, neighbors, relatives. This event is tomorrow morning!

https://cms.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&c...

fdt - 1-10-2010 at 03:44 PM

The event went great, thanks to all of your wonderful support. everyone had tamales, champurrado and every child got gifts.
I'll post video soon.
Thanks again,

BAJACAT - 1-10-2010 at 03:58 PM

Got lots of photos, but Im to tire to post today, it was fun and meet Nomad SD(scoth and daughter Sarah), very nice people..lots off happy kids.
thanks Ferna and Family..

[Edited on 1-11-2010 by BAJACAT]

ELINVESTIG8R - 1-10-2010 at 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
The event went great, thanks to all of your wonderful support. everyone had tamales, champurrado and every child got gifts.
I'll post video soon.
Thanks again,

wessongroup - 1-10-2010 at 04:21 PM

Glad it all worked out... thank you for the opportunity to help in a very small way...:):)

ELINVESTIG8R - 1-10-2010 at 04:22 PM

Quote:
Got lots of photos, but Im to tire to post today, it was fun and meet Nomad SD(scoth and dauther Sarah), very nice people..lots off happy kids.

BajaCat I'm looking forward to the pictures when you can post them. Thank you!

David
El Gringo
Culo Preito!

fdt - 1-10-2010 at 08:23 PM

Working on the video

BAJACAT - 1-10-2010 at 09:19 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Got lots of photos, but Im to tire to post today, it was fun and meet Nomad SD(scoth and dauther Sarah), very nice people..lots off happy kids.

BajaCat I'm looking forward to the pictures when you can post them. Thank you!

David
El Gringo
Culo Preito!
Will do, and also thanks for your help.

ELINVESTIG8R - 1-10-2010 at 09:33 PM

BajaCat I love to help out if I can. I'm sure other here besides myself knows the pain and sorrow these kids feel on a daily basis and the sheer joy they feel when getting a gift. Its heartwarming to say the least.

Thanks for what you do BajaCat and all the other Baja Nomads!

David

bigjohn - 1-10-2010 at 09:51 PM

I look forward to seeing the pictures as well!

tripledigitken - 1-11-2010 at 09:36 AM

Ferna,

Update??????????????????

Come on amigo, those of us that didn't go want to see those kids faces.

Ken

fdt - 1-11-2010 at 10:06 AM

Bajacat took pictures, I was filming. I will upload the video soon.

BAJACAT - 1-11-2010 at 07:35 PM

HERE ARE SOME PIX GUYS.

I will post more later...

BAJACAT - 1-11-2010 at 07:42 PM

I LIKE THE RED ONE, NO NO I LIKE THE BLUE ONE ,NO NO I LIKE ALL OF THEMMM

fdt - 1-11-2010 at 07:49 PM

Way cool!

wessongroup - 1-11-2010 at 07:51 PM

Excellent :):)

ELINVESTIG8R - 1-12-2010 at 04:30 AM

Woo Hoo Pictures. Thank you BajaCat!

BAJACAT - 1-13-2010 at 07:41 PM

Happy kids riding in the bus
ON the way there
Arriving at church of Guadalupe
The loot!

NOMADS AT REST, SCOT AND DAUGHTER SARA, THANK YOU GUYS FOR SHOWING UP.

BAJACAT - 1-13-2010 at 07:44 PM

Ferna what Happen to the rosca?

BAJACAT - 2-7-2010 at 08:58 AM

Hey Ferna where are you? I hope you are ok..
 Pages:  1  2