BajaNomad

Traveling the 5

ironworker - 12-12-2009 at 04:12 PM

Can someone tell if it is possible to take the 5 all the way down to the 1. I have a f-350 with a truck camper. I do not want to tear it up on a bad road but do not mine going slow. Thanks in advance Bill

Bajahowodd - 12-12-2009 at 04:48 PM

Huh?

Diver - 12-12-2009 at 04:48 PM

I don't understand what you're asking.
You can take I5 or 805 to the border and connect to Mex 1 heading south.
I have done the trip in an F250 and F350 with no concerns over road conditions.
It is all paved, after all ......... ??

woody with a view - 12-12-2009 at 05:00 PM

what's the road south from san felipe called?

David K - 12-12-2009 at 05:12 PM

Yes, I think the man is talking about MEXICO 5 (Mexicali) to MEXICO 1 (Laguna Chapala)... Not U.S. I-5 to Mexico 1!

The answer:

Of course you can! But you will suffer with about 30 miles of very rocky, poor road that will test your calm... and then about 36 miles of better, but a bit washboardy graded road.

Pavement south of Puertecitos goes about 14 miles at last report...

thx

ironworker - 12-12-2009 at 11:52 PM

Yes Iam talking about the mex5 down through Puertecitos and on to the 1. I think we will try it. If anyone needs something a long ther give me a shout..

One of the best things I've done.

Mulegena - 12-13-2009 at 12:10 AM

Did the trip south that way once.
Everybody said we couldn't do it, 4x4 only they said.
We did it in our 315 class c camper and created a stellar two days of memories.

Ken Bondy - 12-13-2009 at 07:23 AM

That's a fabulous trip. Beautiful scenery, interesting stops. Take it slow and have a great time. This is south of Puertecitos:

Sept. 2008 Puertecitos to Gonzaga Bay

David K - 12-13-2009 at 08:05 AM

We also traveled south of Puertecitos again on New Years Day, 2009. Pavement went only about 2-3 miles beyond the Puetrecitos turnoff sign then.

So, a year later, and they got 10-12 miles more done... A mile a month, albeit that is some serious rough terrain and they are building te road to some really high standards, unlike other Baja highways of the past.

Puertecitos from the new highway:

End of pavement, a year+ ago...

Gonzaga Bay:

Alfonsina's airport during high tide:

View from Alfonsina's:

Motel Alfonsina's:

Isla San Luis Gonzaga (aka: Willard Island) at the end of the sand spit from Alfonsina's:

MICK - 12-13-2009 at 08:30 AM

I drove it last month and I have to say that unless your willing to go as slow as your truck will go you won't have a camper left when you get to gonzaga. It was as rough as I have seen it it many years. It can be done with two wheel drive no problem but the road has not been graded for a long time. I think they are waiting to finish the new road. You will drive on pavement for twelve miles past PC then maybe on the construction road for another mile then the road turns real bad.
Also if you have never driven it. Watch out for the Vados (dips) past san Feilipe They are sometimes marked but with a truck and overhead camper it could hurt.
Good luck and have fun.Mick

David K - 12-13-2009 at 08:38 AM

Yes, watch the vados between San Felipe and Puertecitos... that roadbed was built in 1983 and paved 10 years later, the problem is the dips (vados)were not graduated for high speed, and you will go air-born if you are over 25 MPH!

Two of the really steep dips have been marked by a gringo with white paint as "Oh Sh@# Dip!, so hit the brakes when you see that...

Now, the new road south of Puertecitos is a totally different animal... wide, level, shoulders... Well done! (as much as I hate paved roads in Baja)

wessongroup - 12-13-2009 at 09:25 AM

Thanks much for all the great information, both visual and text.. you guys sure make it a lot easier in planning trips.. you won't get this from any "road atlas" or GPS software.. again much thanks for all the time and effort from all...:):)

capt. mike - 12-13-2009 at 09:41 AM

what about just going for it...and every once in a while saying, "watch this and hold my beer!".......
works in the snow and ice in Kansas.:wow:

David K - 12-13-2009 at 12:27 PM

None of the photos above show the bad road section... It is really rocky and slow, even for us light off road trucks. Just no fun...

BAJACAT - 12-13-2009 at 12:49 PM

This is the bad section, but this pix was taken in 2007 i just wanted to share it with you... for me on this trip i air down the tires and coast it about 30 to 35 miles?per hour...

[Edited on 12-13-2009 by BAJACAT]

desertcpl - 12-13-2009 at 04:22 PM

my 2 cents

truck would be okay,,, but I agree you might not have a camper when you reach hwy 1,,, do you have a full size camper,, a fold down might work

BajaNuts - 12-13-2009 at 06:22 PM

what is that double a-frame-type/half-built structure in pic#8 from DK?

Pretty small to be a house, a monument maybe? a shrine??
:?:

David K - 12-14-2009 at 08:49 AM

A bridge under construction... neal La Costilla/ Bahia Cristina.

ironworker - 12-16-2009 at 10:40 AM

Thx for all the good info. We are heading down the 19th of Dec. I am really looking forward to tacking this trip and hope to see some of you all along the road. We have a 3-350 with a truck camper. Happy Trails everyone.

ironworker - 1-1-2010 at 08:38 PM

Well we made it. What a great trip. It took 3 days of driving very slow but everything went well and no problems. I will be back there but with a little lighter rig. Also maybe in march when it warms up a little. Found great places to camp boon docking. Thx for all the info and Happy New Year to everyone.

TMW - 1-2-2010 at 10:45 AM

Did you stop by Coco's place? If so how is he doing?

GrOUper-GAr - 1-14-2010 at 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Did you stop by Coco's place? If so how is he doing?

How !S COCo doin?

We StoPPed By In oCT '09 (eXpect'n to see?? ...a ran sAcked pLaCe? ...nObodY?)

this VideO iLLisTrateS what We sAW...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sasBtHUQqlg

-GaR

David K - 1-14-2010 at 11:15 AM

Thank you, that is a great 4 minute interview with our amigo 'Coco'! Hear him described the botched surgery on his leg and his requests... How travelers once numbered 300 (during 2007)are down to less than a dozen in the same period this year (2009).

Welcome to Nomad Grouper Gar, and thanks again!

http://vivabaja.com/coco (a few years ago)

Debra - 1-14-2010 at 03:54 PM

Thanks for the video.........he's looking good. Maybe now that everybody knows he's back, more will make the drive out to see him and bring him some goodies.

Debra - 1-14-2010 at 03:55 PM

PS: Just a suggestion..........

Maybe you could put this in a thread of it's own, more people might see it and the word would travel faster that he's home.