BajaNomad

FOR CRUSOE

Pompano - 12-15-2009 at 10:05 AM

Crusoe...what luck!

Last night, I was reviewing some old 8mm movies I had transferred onto VHS tapes way, way back and I ran across you and your friend sailing and rowing your boat near Pt. Conception back in the early 70's.

Here a quick digital camera shots below of the screen image while the video was running. Excuse the poor quality, but I will improve on that later.

I do have a gadget called Movie Studio Box that will transfer all those old 16mm/8mm/ and VHS tapes to digital images. Just as soon as Hugo in Mulege can show me how to operate the dang thing, I will post some VERY OLD PHOTOS of you here on Nomads.

Skipjack Joe - 12-15-2009 at 11:16 AM

Looks like a dory!

Wonderful boats. There's a portuguese guy here in Half Moon Bay that would fish the reefs for rockfish with one of those things. He would row out from the harbor while everyone used a motor. Sounds foolish until you see that dory move. He'd glide out there with few relaxed strokes of the oars. They're fine crafts.

A dory for sure, Igor. They are very recognizable.

Pompano - 12-15-2009 at 03:05 PM

In particular this one is a St. Pierre Dory, according to it's operator, Crusoe.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=24387&pag...

Quote:
Originally posted by Crusoe
"Pampano.......Its truly a small world.....Thats me in the bow of the St.Pierre Dory......Just another of many good Baja adventures. The year was 1974....You were close..... Time goes fast when you are having so much fun........Fishbuck.....Just go for it and dont look back!!! Good things will hapen to you along the way.Then you can become old and cranky and opinionated as well. "

Pompano: "Crusoe..Hi! What a way to meet again. The Internet of all places.

Thanks for jogging my poor memory...was that really 1974? Whoa..time flys. I can remember that you guys had to row the dory quite a bit to find those light winds. Fun times, indeed!

If you are ever near Conception Bay again, please stop by Coyote Bay and visit us. We can recall old times over dinner. Buena suerte with all your next advenures. "

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=24387&pag...

"Pampano again......After I got thinking a bit I believe the year was 1978 and we did not have any auxillery power. Just two pairs of big heavy oars, and very strong backs. I974 was another trip entirely.I will have to look at my logs and pics. Thanks again."

Crusoe said in another post on that same thread:

"......Alot of brave and calculating adventures have been pulled off by lots of people. We are lucky when they write about their adventures and share them with us......

Some great reads are by a man named Web Childs from San Diego. He sailed a Drascombe Longboat(22' open boat) across the Pacific to Aistralia then through the Torres Straights and accoss th Indian Ocean up into the Red Sea.The book is full of alot of good info. on surviving-fishing alone at sea. He was living in San Diego the last I heard 10 years ago. I dont know if he is still alive or not......

Another person who has written books and articles is a man named Ed Gillette. He too is from San Diego and ran a business -Eco Marine- and a Baja guide service there.He paddled a Kayak across the Pacific to Hawai from San Diego. Also many Mexican adventures.Good techniques in his book also......

Also a book still in print titled "Alone at Sea" by a German doctor a Hans Linderman who first crossed the Atlanic in 1907 singlehanded in a Klepper wood frame Kayak (almost the same boat available today from them) is a great inspireing read.I think in the most amazing " Is all been done " department....is of a life gaurd (again a man from San Diego) paddled a surf board south along the Pacific west coast from Vancouver Island to San Diego. He had a land based support group and slept on beaches occasinaly to support him. Quite a feat......

And lastly.......The man who is the name sake of the vessell you sail on, Spike Africa, he never wrote anything. I knew him fairly well and can vouch for the fact that he had more stories than I can even begin to remember. All good and true and WILD!!!!! Good luck and watchout for those westerlies!!!!! ++C++ "

I would love to hear some more of those accounts, Crusoe.

The clock is ticking. "Make voyages, attempt them..there is little else."

I'm anxious to see our local 'GeekSquad' Hugo manana and get going on the video transfers to digital disc and stills.

[Edited on 12-15-2009 by Pompano]

Crusoe & friend in St. Pierre Dory - Pt Conception 1970-something.jpg - 33kB

Crusoe - 12-15-2009 at 10:26 PM

Hi Roger, Thank you so much for digging up all the old photos and posting them here. You are a real treasure as a person, and wonderful photographer. It all gets me thinking back 36 years!!!. Wow!! I checked out our log and it was for sure 1974 when those shots were taken. As I remember, that was the first year the new trans penn. highway was open all the way to La Paz. We launched Osprey,our dory, which we had built in Wyoming, just a few yards from where your house sits now in Coyte Bay. Both Bill and I had already accumulated over 30 thousand sea miles by then seperately as boat bums. We were ( or so we thought getting to old) at about 38 years of age and wanted to explore a more traditional type of sailing expierince.We had both been ski and back packer/ mountaineering/climber enthusiats as well for years. That was our first trip and one of many grand adventures filled with a great respect for the local sea life and local people and fisherman and the beauty of the rugged landsape and beautiful beaches that Baja has to offer. And still does.!!! We ended up in Mag. Bay and hauled her out in San Carlos. No auxiliary power. Yikes!! There are so many small incidental little things those photos bring back up and out from the depths of my soul, that it leaves me in a half mesmerized state. Thanks Again Loads. You are a gem. ++C++;D;D